The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Tom Cable: We’re on brink of getting this thing going

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, September 28th, 2009 at 3:53 pm in Oakland Raiders.

News, notes and quotes from Tom Cable’s press briefing and minimal open locker room access the day after a 23-3 loss to the Denver Broncos:

– “You guys write what you want, we’re on the brink of getting this thing going,” Cable volunteered at one point Monday as he answered repeated questions about a hugely disappointing AFC West defeat.

Putting up a brave front or merely delusional?

To be fair, Cable said similar things last year heading into the last two games of the season, with the Raiders winning both and earning him the job as head coach.

– Although never booed to the extent JaMarcus Russell was Sunday, left guard Robert Gallery was the object of scorn among Raider fans for failing to live up to his status as a franchise left tackle. He was booed when his number was called for penalties, and before the 2007 season, was booed at the Raider Nation Celebration.

So Gallery has at least some idea of what Russell is going through.

“As long as he can get up every day and look in the mirror and say he did everything in his power to be prepared to play, then it’s part of football,” Gallery said. “That’s kind of how I dealt with it when things were going bad. I knew I did everything I could to be the best I could be and things have obviously worked out pretty good for me now. He’s just got to do that.

“As long as he can get up every day and say he’s prepared, and put in the time that he needs to, then the fans pay the money to come and you’re going to have that. We want to win and they want to see a good show.”

Since moving Russell to guard isn’t an option , as it was for Gallery, he’s going to have to remain a quarterback. Cable made it clear Russell is far from the only offensive player struggling and that he has no plans make a change to backup Bruce Gradkowski.

“I have to have faith in the guy going out there playing quarterback for us and I do have that faith,” Cable said. “It seems to be a roller coaster ride. I want to flatten that out and make it more of a smoother ride. Haven’t been able to get there yet, but we’ll continue to work at that.

“To me, it’s just too easy to blame one guy and say that’s a problem. Let’s top the run, let’s run the ball better, let’s tackle better, let’s be more explosive on special teams, let’s play better at quarterback, let’s have better ball security.

“I mean, when you start looking at the issues here and in particular to yesterday, there’s enough work here for all of us.”

– Part of the problem with the offense is the inability to convert even the most basic plays into the kind of meat and potatoes short gains which can sustain an offense.

“I think it’s just a matter of making the easy plays,” tight end Zach Miller said. “A lot of times we don’t make the easy pays, easy catches, easy throws. We’ve got to make sure we can do that and get in a rhythm. When our drives are successful we’re completing those easy underneath passes and moving the chains.”

Exactly why the Raiders aren’t able to walk before they can run is a mystery.

“It’s first-day-of-camp stuff,” Miller said. “We’ve got to make sure the receivers are doing the right things, then just being on time with the quarterback and in the right places.”

Said Cable: “I think we’re just pressing like crazy. There are so many easy plays that we’re not making.”

– Miller, being Russell’s favorite target is getting bracket coverage as teams look to take him out of the mix. Cable thinks Russell learning to go elsewhere will be good for the quarterback in the long run.

– Cable’s assessment of Heyward Bey: “I thought he was open a number of times. I thought he did some really good things. He blocked well. We just didn’t, obviously, get him the football.”

In other words, as “solid” as any rookie starting receiver in the league with one catch for 17 yards.

– Russell could have increased his yardage output by nearly a third if a 28-yard pass to Miller hadn’t been reviewed late in the first half. Russell broke free, rolled to his right and threw probably his best pass of the game to Miller along the sideline. Replay showed one foot was touching the sideline.

“I thought for sure it was going to be a catch because both refs said it was inbounds,” Miller said. “I’ve go to do what I can to keep my feet in, I guess.”

– Cable thought the Broncos did way too much damage on first and second down and gouged the Raiders defense with what he called “explosive plays,” which he defined as pass plays of 16 or more yards and running plays of 11 or more. The Broncos exploded like a trick cigar on the Raiders nine times _ twice with passes and seven times with runs.

“There was a lot of work done (by Denver) on first and second down,” Cable said. “Once they got settled in to what they wanted to do, I did not think we handled it well in terms of adjusting to it and making the stops.”

– Cable said he believes 90 percent of the roster “gets it” in terms of a standard of performance it takes to succeed and that “we’ve got 10 percent that we’ve got to get there as coaches. We’ve got to improve them. We’ve got to get them to a point where they can go in and perform like the other 90 percent.”

– Although Cable conceded Russell is part of the 10 percent, he rejected the notion that his quarterback isn’t doing what it takes to succeed in terms of preparation.

“His growth in the last year has been extreme with regard to his work ethic,” Cable said. “I want everyone to work harder and do more. I don’t think think he’s any different that way than anybody else . . . if he was where he was a year ago or even two years ago, I’d be pretty disappointed right now. But he has brought himself to another level that way.

“What I want to see is continued progress. I want to see it continually day to day, week to week. My belief is when you do that and stay the course, then you have your breakthrough and become what everyone wants you to become.”

Russell’s current passer rating is 39.8, which over a full season would be the lowest since Ryan Leaf had a 39.0 rating in 1998
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

So they're going to get things going, BUT they're also keeping their franchise left tackle in at QB? I just don't see them pulling anything out better than a few wins with low scores against crappy teams.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Maybe if they play KC each week they may get it going.

Otherwise its all over but the crying.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Oakland may be the first team ever to face 11 defenders in the box.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

"We’re on brink of getting this thing going"

Maybe he knows something about the health of Al Davis that the rest of us don't know............
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
lol nice

Russell would still **** up and throw picks
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
manchambo
Ring of Famer

In all seriousness, why couldn't they move Russell to guard?
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Orange View Post
good one.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Bahaha...sure looked like it yesterday Tommy Boy.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
OaklandRaidersSBChamps
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cable=Next Madden
OaklandRaidersSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandRaidersSBChamps View Post
cable=Next Madden
You may be right. Cable says some off the wall things too.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Holy crap. I never realized Leaf put up a 39 in '98.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Going where?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

They moving back to LA or something?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
So they're going to get things going, BUT they're also keeping their franchise left tackle in at QB? I just don't see them pulling anything out better than a few wins with low scores against crappy teams.
Careful we can't get too cocky. When we meet Oakland again they could have their act together. Just saying.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #16
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

They could be a decent team if they had a decent QB instead of a complete bum.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Al Davis has found a portal to this guy ^
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandRaidersSBChamps View Post
cable=Next Madden
Madden took a bus. Cable will soon be driving a bus. You have got to be Dortoh/Hotrod in disguise. No one in there right mind would have that as a user name and then one of your first post, tell us how many SB rings you have. It just is way too easy and predictable as a Faider fan!
I liked this quote...

“I thought for sure it was going to be a catch because both refs said it was inbounds,” Miller said. “I’ve go to do what I can to keep my feet in, I guess.”

Either a typo or he went to East Carolina with Chris Johnson.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Careful we can't get too cocky. When we meet Oakland again they could have their act together. Just saying.
It wouldnt look good for your doomsday spirit for us to sweep the Faiders unlike last year.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #20
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
So Gallery has at least some idea of what Russell is going through.

“As long as he can get up every day and look in the mirror and say he did everything in his power to be prepared to play, then it’s part of football,” Gallery said. “That’s kind of how I dealt with it when things were going bad. I knew I did everything I could to be the best I could be and things have obviously worked out pretty good for me now. He’s just got to do that.

“As long as he can get up every day and say he’s prepared, and put in the time that he needs to, then the fans pay the money to come and you’re going to have that. We want to win and they want to see a good show.”
It almost sounds as if he's defending Russell. But put into the context of recent reports of Russell's laziness, I think Gallery's taking a shot at him here.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cable also broke the jaw of one of his assistants during camp I believe it was, so he isn't playing with a full deck. They aren't going anywhere with a QB who can't complete 45% of his passes.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #22
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
It almost sounds as if he's defending Russell. But put into the context of recent reports of Russell's laziness, I think Gallery's taking a shot at him here.
Sure it's a shot Dom, you didn't bold the most telling line in the quote;

"He’s just got to do that."

Which implies he hasn't to this point.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #23
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Maybe he was talking about his felony assault trial for breaking his assistant coach's jaw.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

They are better then they were, that's not saying much. Whoever decided to let Garcia go should be fired.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #25
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Madden took a bus. Cable will soon be driving a bus. You have got to be Dortoh/Hotrod in disguise. No one in there right mind would have that as a user name and then one of your first post, tell us how many SB rings you have. It just is way too easy and predictable as a Faider fan!
I liked this quote...

Either a typo or he went to East Carolina with Chris Johnson.
Actually this guy ran his mouth all offseason and up till game time last week at another bronco board. Then said "if we lose I'll never come back here again"

Talk **** and run dont waste your time with this cat.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote