The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Broncos believe they have a special coach

Broncos believe they have a special coach

OAKLAND -- Vonnie Holliday had heard the stories about the Denver Broncos under young head coach Josh McDaniels when he was deciding whether to join the team a week before the start of the season.

McDaniels had almost attained villain status in Denver. He ran a Pro Bowl quarterback out of town. He fought with a Pro Bowl receiver. He traded a first-round pick in next year’s draft. He relied on his New England Patriots roots more than anything else as he built his roster. He didn’t add any recognizable names to his defensive front.

The Broncos, after 14 years of mostly good times in the Mike Shanahan era, were being questioned nationally. There were whispers about whether the kid from Canton, Ohio, would go one and done in Denver. There was arguably no coach in the history of the NFL who faced more scrutiny before walking the sideline for the first time than McDaniels.

“I heard all of that,” Holliday said Sunday. “But when I was talking to some coaches on this staff, guys who were much older and much more experienced than Coach McDaniels, they said, ‘Don’t listen.’ They said some good things were happening here. They said Coach McDaniels was special ... it didn’t take me long to realize they were right. There’s something about Josh McDaniels.”

Three games into McDaniels' NFL head-coaching career, and it’s difficult to argue with Holliday. There is something about McDaniels.

His Broncos dismantled the Oakland Raiders on the road in a 23-3 victory Sunday. They dominated every phase of the game as they raised their record to 3-0 against the shell-shocked Raiders.

If there's an early favorite for the surprise team of 2009, it has to be Denver, and McDaniels has to be considered an early candidate NFL coach of the year.

Of course, it has been only three games and Denver is now entering a brutal 10-game stretch: Dallas, New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, Pittsburgh, at Washington, San Diego, the New York Giants, at Kansas City and at Indianapolis. Sure, the Redskins and the Chiefs don’t look like killers, but this a meaty schedule.

“Nothing gets better than 3-0. But we also know that we are very humble and we have got to understand that it’s a long way to go and a lot of things to improve on,” McDaniels said. “But we are happy to be 3-0.”

We’ll find out much more about Denver in the coming weeks. But what we know now is the Broncos are undefeated and look much better than they were expected to be. Quarterback Kyle Orton, acquired in the controversial Jay Cutler trade, is not terrific, but he is efficient and Denver is running the ball well.

Defensively, Denver is much improved from the past couple of seasons. The Broncos have allowed an NFL-low 16 points and one touchdown this season. They have created eight turnovers, five less than all of last season.

In addition to McDaniels’ impact on his new team, many around the league have wondered if New England’s unsteady offensive start has anything to do with playing without McDaniels, whose offense set records.

McDaniels said he does not feel vindicated after being questioned about his decisions during his first offseason.

“The people that we care about and their opinions are the ones in our building," he said. "We know what we are doing. We feel comfortable and confident in our players, with who we drafted and what we’ve done. I’ve never wavered from it for one minute and we aren’t now.”

So far, the Broncos couldn’t be happier with the decision to fire Shanahan and replace him with McDaniels, who turned 33 in April. Shanahan was fired because his message got stale. The Broncos hired McDaniels because they thought he’d bring energy and much-needed youthful zeal.

McDaniels is a guy who does television shows in jeans and Birkenstocks. He laughs with team employees in the building and he twirls his whistle in practice. When Holliday first visited the Broncos, he saw a young man sitting at a desk, wearing a sweatshirt and a hat pulled low to his eyes with his feet kicked up. He said he had no idea it was the coach.

“From our first meeting I knew [Denver owner Pat] Bowlen made the right decision,” Denver receiver Brandon Stokley said. “We’re lucky we have him. We’ve all bought into his plan.”

Several Denver veterans said what sticks out most about McDaniels is his belief that the Broncos are going to win every game. He oozes confidence. When I met with McDaniels in August, he made a point of saying he has never been part of a team that was even .500, dating back to his CYA basketball team when he was 9. He said he has always been a winner and has no plans of ever being a loser.

“He’s all about the details,” Holliday said. “He breaks down every potential game situation. He knows our upcoming opponent so well ... Take age out of this thing. He’s got football knowledge that goes way beyond his years. I really think something special is happening here.”

It’s early, but after three games it’s difficult to quarrel with what McDaniels has done in Denver.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

If you asked me two months ago if I would be reading an article like this about McDaniels I would have said you are nuts. But DAMN! The players really seem to love this guy, and some of those quotes go above and beyond just simply talking up your Head Coach.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Birks? Nicccccce.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

We're getting better every week. I love seeing that...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Its so weird. Some of my friends in Texas are under the impression that Denver was in a near mutinous position over McDaniels yet I had never heard anything of the sort. Maybe the fans were, but not the players.

The most important thing McD keeps saying is that we still have a lot of work to do. Thats so freaking encouraging.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

This is why you don't freak out before the team has played a meaningul snap. Of course you shouldn't think we're world beaters yet either, but so far so good.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

^This is why you don't listen to mainstream media. John Clayton has been ripping on Denver and McD for months now up here in Seattle on the local ESPN station, almost unsolicited at times. I believe he predicted 3-4 wins and called Denver an expansion team. He also had a bunch of segments predicting Seattle's season, and he rattled off 10 or 11 wins, if memory serves me correctly. I'm going to enjoy listening to him try and cover his ass on his bi-weekly appearances. He was saying last week that even if Denver went 3-0, it was entirely likely that we'd lose the next 8 in a row. LoL.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

“From our first meeting I knew [Denver owner Pat] Bowlen made the right decision,” Denver receiver Brandon Stokley said. “We’re lucky we have him. We’ve all bought into his plan.”

Several Denver veterans said what sticks out most about McDaniels is his belief that the Broncos are going to win every game. He oozes confidence. When I met with McDaniels in August, he made a point of saying he has never been part of a team that was even .500, dating back to his CYA basketball team when he was 9. He said he has always been a winner and has no plans of ever being a loser.

“He’s all about the details,” Holliday said. “He breaks down every potential game situation. He knows our upcoming opponent so well ... Take age out of this thing. He’s got football knowledge that goes way beyond his years. I really think something special is happening here.”
Hard to argue with Veteran players...
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

i love how he exploits matchups...last week it was moving elvis to go against the RT, this week it was having Bmarsh and are inside slot WR go across the middle matched up w/a LB!!! The Broncos coachies are going to try and exploit the opponents on both sides of the ball and give us a chance to make plays...great start!!
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
^This is why you don't listen to mainstream media. John Clayton has been ripping on Denver and McD for months now up here in Seattle on the local ESPN station, almost unsolicited at times. I believe he predicted 3-4 wins and called Denver an expansion team. He also had a bunch of segments predicting Seattle's season, and he rattled off 10 or 11 wins, if memory serves me correctly. I'm going to enjoy listening to him try and cover his ass on his bi-weekly appearances. He was saying last week that even if Denver went 3-0, it was entirely likely that we'd lose the next 8 in a row. LoL.
Please let us know how that goes for him...
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Gotta give him his props. He's doing a bang up job so far.

I hope he can navigate the next 10 games just as well.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

"Denver rookie HC Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."-John Clayton

^pulled that from MHR's twitter
Old 09-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabronco View Post
"denver rookie hc josh mcdaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."-john clayton

^pulled that from mhr's twitter
lol
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I'm buying stock in McDaniel's, If it doesn't come together this year, well at least I feel good about the future. Unfortunately Mike Nolan will be gone, he will get another shot at a head coaching position.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Coach and personnel director, too (by all reliable reports?).

Now, that is the only portion of this whole transition that I (and many, many others) admittedly had questioned. It still seems like too much for someone so young to handle? Doesn't it?

But I was sitting there watching the game today thinking, "what did the organization really do wrong this offseason?"

People can argue about the Cutler situation all they want. But since then? A young head coach, who after his hiring was put (allegedly) in charge of personnel decisions:

a) surrounded himself with veteran coaches
b) implemented policies from his previous organization that were successful
c) through evaluation improved the scheme and increased the size and toughness of the defense

Those are the three biggest factors in his success that I feel he has made. There are many others, but I'm too lazy right now to come up with more letters.

The losses, and the critics, will come. But I like where this team is going.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Gotta give him his props. He's doing a bang up job so far.

I hope he can navigate the next 10 games just as well.
@Washington, home to SD, and @KC look winnable, we just have to find one or two more, and we'll be in good shape.....but yeah, that schedule looks tough.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #17
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
"Denver rookie HC Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."-John Clayton

^pulled that from MHR's twitter
Gotta preserve that one.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
This is why you don't freak out before the team has played a meaningul snap. Of course you shouldn't think we're world beaters yet either, but so far so good.
Yep.

Now we have evidence and can do some evaluation. It's limited evidence, but it's evidence.

All a lot of us were saying all off-season was... hey, let's see what we have here. It looks better on paper. Apparently, that was "drinking kool-aid."

Well, the kool-aid tastes mighty good right about now, folks.

Hope the crow is going down as easily...
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #19
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

No, the drinking the kool-aid reference from most of us who did not agree with most of the offseason activities centered around trading a franchise QB.

I still don't see how that has to do with us eating crow? It was a stupid move, however, I'll give McDaniels his due. He's coached the hell out of these guys and they have bought into the system. We're 3-0 and all. Let's all say yay.

The next 10 is where we'll find out a lot about this team and how good of a job McDaniels can do. I hope we win a lot.

No, I don't reconsider my stance on drinking the Kool-Aid. Jay Cutler is looking great for Chicago right now. Trust me, I was in Seattle this weekend, had a chance to talk with a lot of Bears fans in town for the Seattle game... THEY ARE LOVING Jay. 1 bad half of football aside, he's been helping their team win including the last two weeks with come from behind drives to win their ball games.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #20
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Jay Cutler is lucky the Bears are not 0-3 bpc but keep your blinders on. It's all good.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

The patriots seem to be struggling a great deal right now on offense I wonder if josh was the glue that helped hold them together.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #22
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
No, the drinking the kool-aid reference from most of us who did not agree with most of the offseason activities centered around trading a franchise QB.

I still don't see how that has to do with us eating crow? It was a stupid move, however, I'll give McDaniels his due. He's coached the hell out of these guys and they have bought into the system. We're 3-0 and all. Let's all say yay.

The next 10 is where we'll find out a lot about this team and how good of a job McDaniels can do. I hope we win a lot.

No, I don't reconsider my stance on drinking the Kool-Aid. Jay Cutler is looking great for Chicago right now. Trust me, I was in Seattle this weekend, had a chance to talk with a lot of Bears fans in town for the Seattle game... THEY ARE LOVING Jay. 1 bad half of football aside, he's been helping their team win including the last two weeks with come from behind drives to win their ball games.
We'll see which "Jay" shows up in a game that matters. Right now, he's got a lower rating than Orton and is basically dead-even with him in passing. (Aside from throwing more INTs.)

As for the kool-aid reference, that was what people were called around here if they said that maybe we should wait before we declared the season a failure. People trolled this board non-stop calling people homers, sheep and kool-aid drinkers for simply having a little faith in their franchise, and wanting to see some evidence before they called their own team dogs#it.

It's time to get over Jay Cutler. He was a losing QB in Denver. We're winning games and the only thing he may mean to us is a higher draft pick next year.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #23
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Jay Cutler is lucky the Bears are not 0-3 bpc but keep your blinders on. It's all good.
Yep....I have had several Bears fans tell me that we can have our pro bowl qb back.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #24
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Yea, a dude hits a couple of routine FGs last week, and they're 1-2 right now.

They have a freebie next week against Detroit, though.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Seeing lots o Joshs.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote