The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Scout's Views: The new QBs

An NFL scout ranks the new starting QBs according to how much of a positive impact they will have on their teams.

1. Brett Favre, Vikings. "He's still effective as long as he spreads the ball around and relies on the running game. Las year, Minnesota won 10 games with marginal quarterbacking. He can maybe get them two or three more victories."

2. Mark Sanchez, Jets. "Of these eight tteams, the Jets have the second-best defense. They're going to limit how many points opponents score and create a lot of turnovers, putting Sanchez in a lot of favorable positions."

3. Kyle Orton, Broncos. "Josh McDaniels knows how to design plays, and Orton will be successful. Denver will have a better record than people think."

4. Matt Cassel, Chiefs. "He's accurate, and they have some veteran WR's. Once healthy, he's going to be successful. He'll give them a chance to pull out some victories late in the 4th Quarter.

5. Jay Cutler, Bears. "He can make throws some of those other guys can't, but he has just marginal receivers. The Bears are going to be playing from behind, and they will ask a lot of him."

6. Brady Quinn, Browns. "He just needs more experience. I think the team will struggle all year, but he has a couple of guys who can make plays for him."

7. Matt Stafford, Lions. "He's very talented, but he's a rookie. He has a great receiver (Calving Johnson) and a talented TE ( Brandon Pettigrew). He'll take a lot of bumps this year, but it will be a good learning experience."

8. Byron Leftwich, Bucs. "He's a veteran with a good skill set, but he takes a ton of hits. I would have ranked him higher, but I don't think he'll hold up for 16 games."

I don't have a link it is from Sporting News magazine
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Favre at #1 makes me question the entire piece.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Anyone who puts Cassel as number 4 and Favre as number 1 just plain doesn't know what they are talking about.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Matt Cassel at 4?
He's probably the third best QB on his own team and is fighting off Brody Croyle which is a joke in itself.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
He can make throws some of those other guys can't
sometimes to his own guys too!
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

are you sure he didnt just list the new QBs randomly
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I don't think the Vikings are that good this year because of their D, with or without favre.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Anyone who puts Cassel as number 4 and Favre as number 1 just plain doesn't know what they are talking about.
Seriously. That article isn't worth the bandwith it's taking up.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don't think the Vikings are that good this year because of their D, with or without favre.
one of the top DL's in the league, some good LB's - the secondary is a little weak but average.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Orton above Cutler. Praise be to Allah.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Favre at #1 makes me question the entire piece.

I think john madden may have written it..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
The article is written based on which QB will have the biggest positive impact. IMO, Favre's big gun forces defenses to keep defenders back, which allows AD to run all over their faces. He may not be the best, but his impact is certainly the biggest.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Old 09-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
The article is written based on which QB will have the biggest positive impact. IMO, Favre's big gun forces defenses to keep defenders back, which allows AD to run all over their faces. He may not be the best, but his impact is certainly the biggest.
please. If that is true, then why is Orton 3rd? His gun?

There are crappy scouts in the NFL too. This guy must work for the Raiders or Lions
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post

There are crappy scouts in the NFL too. This guy must work for the Raiders or Lions
Let me clarify.

I was not defending the article, nor the scout sourced. I was just saying Favre being on the Vikings is a lot bigger than just his play.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:

Maybe he thinks that Kyle Orton is a perfect fit for this system, can make every throw needed, and will not throw games away with costly INT's.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

his impact isn't in the stat sheets or in ability. it comes from teams having to play a balanced offense, and from the reduction of stupid plays that result in turnovers from last years QB.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
his impact isn't in the stat sheets or in ability. it comes from teams having to play a balanced offense, and from the reduction of stupid plays that result in turnovers from last years QB.
So are you saying Orton is the guy that will master and Lead McD's offense well enough to get the Broncos to the Super Bowl in by year 3 of of the McD era? Better yet, is Orton the long term answer?

Will Kyle get the label of Franchise QB and sign the lucruative deal to make him the top 10 or 5 salaried QB in the NFL?

How far can or does Orton taking care of the ball, not forcing throws and interception get the Broncos?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
So are you saying Orton is the guy that will master and Lead McD's offense well enough to get the Broncos to the Super Bowl in by year 3 of of the McD era? Better yet, is Orton the long term answer?

Will Kyle get the label of Franchise QB and sign the lucruative deal to make him the top 10 or 5 salaried QB in the NFL?

How far can or does Orton taking care of the ball, not forcing throws and interception get the Broncos?
Further than Cutler would have.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

i truly would not be surprised to see Orton get an extension after the season, and if he does i am confident he can not only lead this offense but can excel in it. i have always felt he was a QB that if put into a better situation than what he had in Chicago he could be a successful QB.

if he gets a shot, which means McDaniels isn't looking for his new Brady(the way Mike was looking for his new Elway) he can be a franchise QB for the Broncos, and I am sure fans will begin to like him as our QB.

Ask Plummer how far you can get if you take care of the ball and play team football. he got us to 13-3 and to the AFCCG, and had he had a running game and a little more defensive help he would have won a super bowl.

you don't need a QB that can throw a ball through a brick wall to be successful, if you have an intelligent QB, someone who takes care of the ball, doesn't put the team into ****ty positions, and has the respect of his teammates he can be extremely successful even with less athletic talent.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #22
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
i truly would not be surprised to see Orton get an extension after the season, and if he does i am confident he can not only lead this offense but can excel in it. i have always felt he was a QB that if put into a better situation than what he had in Chicago he could be a successful QB.

if he gets a shot, which means McDaniels isn't looking for his new Brady(the way Mike was looking for his new Elway) he can be a franchise QB for the Broncos, and I am sure fans will begin to like him as our QB.

Ask Plummer how far you can get if you take care of the ball and play team football. he got us to 13-3 and to the AFCCG, and had he had a running game and a little more defensive help he would have won a super bowl.

you don't need a QB that can throw a ball through a brick wall to be successful, if you have an intelligent QB, someone who takes care of the ball, doesn't put the team into ****ty positions, and has the respect of his teammates he can be extremely successful even with less athletic talent.
But what about them pretty passes?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
But what about them pretty passes?
pretty passes are fun to watch, but with guys like Favre or Cutler, you get 1 or 2 incredible pretty passes and then 1 or 2 wtf was he thinking passes. it is fun to watch, but if winning games and having the team reach elite status and become a perennial conteder means we need a QB with less physical talent, then i am all for it.

this isn't the NFL of the past where gunslingers and elite QBs can take over games completely on their own based on the talent they possessed. in today's NFL at the QB position intelligence on the field is more important than athletic ability.

look at guys like Peyton, Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Rivers, Warner. guys at the top of the league at their position. None of them have incredible athletic ability, none of them have cannons for arms(not saying they are not athletic and don't have decent arms, but they aren't athletic freaks with Elway-like arms), but they all are very intelligent, and don't put the team into bad situations and that leads to wins.

and as much as i liked Jay when he was here, mainly because i was awed by the athletic talent he possessed, Orton is the better QB for this offense. he is the more intelligent player. that may be because he has never had the athletic tools that made him think he could make any throw, but for whatever reason Orton is better for us right now in the current situation than Cutler would have been. not necessarily a better QB, but a better fit for this system.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
pretty passes are fun to watch, but with guys like Favre or Cutler, you get 1 or 2 incredible pretty passes and then 1 or 2 wtf was he thinking passes. it is fun to watch, but if winning games and having the team reach elite status and become a perennial conteder means we need a QB with less physical talent, then i am all for it.

this isn't the NFL of the past where gunslingers and elite QBs can take over games completely on their own based on the talent they possessed. in today's NFL at the QB position intelligence on the field is more important than athletic ability.

look at guys like Peyton, Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, Rivers, Warner. guys at the top of the league at their position. None of them have incredible athletic ability, none of them have cannons for arms(not saying they are not athletic and don't have decent arms, but they aren't athletic freaks with Elway-like arms), but they all are very intelligent, and don't put the team into bad situations and that leads to wins.

and as much as i liked Jay when he was here, mainly because i was awed by the athletic talent he possessed, Orton is the better QB for this offense. he is the more intelligent player. that may be because he has never had the athletic tools that made him think he could make any throw, but for whatever reason Orton is better for us right now in the current situation than Cutler would have been. not necessarily a better QB, but a better fit for this system.
The part that is fun is that the fans are starting to see that.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Well, considering our last QB was one of the worst in the league at taking care of the ball (2nd worst) .... he'll probably be an improvement.

Then again, that's not saying much.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote