The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Strong-arm tactics obsolete for the Broncos

Critics say Kyle Orton doesn't have a cannon, but dinking-and-dunking is the new standard in the NFL.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

NFL success used to be built on 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Now the foundation is the 4-yard pass and hope it will bust.

The short passing game has become all the rage in the NFL.

More precisely, the NFL is about the really, really short passing game.

In this ever-evolving wave of receiver screens, hot routes and check-downs, the Broncos may have the quarterback prototype in Kyle Orton.

In contrast to his critics' complaints, Orton ranks third in the NFL in pass plays of at least 20 yards, fourth in average yards per completion and eighth in yards per attempt. Impressive production, considering Orton's average completion reaches the receiver 5.7 yards from the line of scrimmage.

"Not every pass has to be 50 yards in the air to turn into a big play," Orton said. "We'll certainly take them if they want to give them, but looking back on our first two games, we didn't have too many opportunities to really push it down the field. We're not going to try to make everybody happy and throw the ball down the field when it's not the smart thing to do."

Perhaps Orton should be judged not on how far he throws the ball, but where the official sets the ball after the play.

Orton knows how to generate a bomb from a flare. He has thrown for more yards per completion and attempt than his predecessor Jay Cutler, or New England's Tom Brady, who is the QB standard in the offensive system used by the Broncos.

Granted, an 87-yard deflection within a two-game period carries the same skewed effect on a stat sheet that a hole-in-one has on a golfer's scorecard entering the No. 3 tee box.

But Orton has had eight other 20-yard-plus pass plays.

"Kyle Orton, to me, got pigeonholed coming out of Chicago," said former quarterback Joe Theismann. "People didn't want to give him a lot of credit. . . . But he wins. And he knows how to make the big play. This game is about chunks of yards. Football is a game of big plays now."

That Orton is among the league leaders in big-play passes would suggest either his arm strength exceeds perception, or it's all relative in a dunk-and-dink-happy league.

There may be truth in both. Some of Orton's big gains have been more about the run after the point of completion or deflection, in the case of the game-winning, 87-yard touchdown play to Brandon Stokley in the season opener at Cincinnati. But there also was the 25-yard laser to Jabar Gaffney on Denver's first offensive play Sunday against Cleveland, and the 49-yard, fourth-quarter heave to Gaffney that set up a short, game-clinching touchdown.

"Kyle has a good arm," Gaffney said. "He can make those down-the-field throws. Sometimes, the defense is not going to let you get deep, so you have to check down underneath, but when its called, Kyle can make pretty much every throw."

The underneath throw, though, has become a staple in every offense.

"I think it's evolved into you seeing more quick screens rather than pound it up there every play," Stokley said. "You have a lot more space out there. If you make one guy miss, you can get the home run."

Another reason for the propensity of short passes is defenses are increasingly playing their safeties deeper in coverage.

"That's probably been a trend for the last two or three years," Orton said. "Really, it's because you have safeties with such incredible speed that if you put them back there, he can really make plays on the outside throws. And if the ball is going to be hanging up in the air a long time, he can certainly have enough range to go make those plays."

Consequently, the percentage of long-pass attempts has significantly diminished across the NFL, even if quarterbacks such as Orton still convert their share of big-play passes.

"Everybody wants to get the ball down the field," Orton said. "I'm no different. I feel like I can make those throws. But if they're not there, you can go from having a chance to gain a lot of yards to a chance to have a disaster happen on the play, too. So that's not very smart."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13406734
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Just maybe playing the Bungles and Brownies had something to do with it...

Naw...
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

We will see soon enough mock. A win this week though and people will just say we haven't played anyone good. A loss and people will say see we told you Orton sucked, Broncos suck.

But all Broncos can do is play hard every game and see how it all turns out at end of yr.

For a team that isn't really considered a contender they sure are popular to talk about.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I'm ok with Orton's arm strength from what I saw the last game. He made a couple of sideline passes that were in the air for 20 yards or so and those are the toughest throws to make, so his arm strength is good enough.

I think he's gets targetted for it though because Jay being the previous QB has one of the strongest arms in the league.

If we had gone from Griese to Orton then there would be no issue with Orton's arm strength when his hand is injury free.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post
"Everybody wants to get the ball down the field," Orton said. "I'm no different. I feel like I can make those throws. But if they're not there, you can go from having a chance to gain a lot of yards to a chance to have a disaster happen on the play, too. So that's not very smart."
this guy gets it, take what ya can, dont try to force it, he dosent have to win the game for us as long as he dosent lose it.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 AM   #6
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
We will see soon enough mock. A win this week though and people will just say we haven't played anyone good. A loss and people will say see we told you Orton sucked, Broncos suck.
Actually Raiders in Oakland is a tall order regardless. This is one of the rivalries that does funny things to teams. It happens in other divisions too. Local to me it is the Cowboys/Redskins game. No matter how bad the Skins may be or how good Dallas is, that game is not a given, it is a knockdown dragout brawl everytime. Same with us and the Raiders. We SHOULD win this game, but this one is definately more meaningful than the last two for many reasons.

All that having been said does it really suprise you that the two options are "we haven't played anyone good" or "we suck"? If the Chiefs went on a three game romp against the Browns, Bengals, and Raiders, and suddenly the national media moved to saying they were playoff bound for thier 3-0 record, what would you say?

The simple fact of the matter is we have played two bad (at least last year) teams and are lining up against another this week. Don't worry, some of the quality teams are coming right after that and then we will see where we really stand.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

But all Broncos can do is play hard every game and see how it all turns out at end of yr.

For a team that isn't really considered a contender they sure are popular to talk about.
Totally agree. Time will tell with this team. But I do think there is a lot to build on heading towards next year. If the Broncos can make steady improvements all year long, next year's club will certainly be considered a playoff contender.

I am enjoying some of the buzz that's surrounding the team....pretty refreshing considering the crap we endired in the offseason.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

It is the 15 yard out to the sideline that Orton can't toss. Not many QB's can very well though.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I have a hard time calling the Bengals as bad as the Browns after they walked into GB and won like that

they may not be great, but we shut down a dynamic offense
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

Naw...
Poor guy. Those wins are tough on you, huh Mock?

Hang in there, buddy. The losses will come... and then you can pretend you were right.

Keep the "faith," buddy.

GO RAIDERS? Right?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
It is the 15 yard out to the sideline that Orton can't toss. Not many QB's can very well though.
lets be clear here...not many in college and high school football
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
I've seen him do it..
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

No he leads the NFL in passes over 25 yards the writer of the article doesn't know anything.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
I saw him time one really well with Royal last game, if you time them right you don't have to have the world's strongest arm.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:

Naw...
You are just a big bundle of joy.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChad View Post
this guy gets it, take what ya can, dont try to force it, he dosent have to win the game for us as long as he dosent lose it.
winner. the time you invite trouble is when you know it's a bad play but your ego tells you that you are one of 2 or 3 qb's in league history that can make that play and so you try it anyway. i prefer a qb who knows and abides by his own limitations to a guy who doesn't think he has any limitations.

orton is a less risk, less reward guy--the proper mentality for this offense.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Naw...
Bengles are not a bad team, toolio.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
McDenver
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I seem to remember a guy who used to be a master at taking what the defense gave him, he went by the name of Joe Montana. I am not saying that Orton is Montana, but I remember that Joe was not known as a 'big arm' QB and I certainly don't remember anyone giving ol' Joe any grief about having a noodle arm.
McDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Toolio. Bawahaha.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I remember watching a couple of Orton's games when he was at Purdue. I thought he looked damn good. I wasn't at all upset with him coming here. So far, he looks like a good game manager who doesn't make stupid mistakes. His arm is better than advertised too. I'm okay wid it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

The only thing about Orton that bugs me is that he tends to lock onto one receiver without looking the DBs off. I wonder if he'll get better at that as he gets more comfortable with the system.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
The only thing about Orton that bugs me is that he tends to lock onto one receiver without looking the DBs off. I wonder if he'll get better at that as he gets more comfortable with the system.
Reminds me of our last QB...
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #23
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

I agree that he is here to simply not lose game, not win them.

Which is nice during the year if the team performs well. But is less nice when in the playoffs and SB, when you face solid opponents that are shutting down aspects of your game, and your QB needs to notch it up and make some things happen.

There is a reason that most SB winning teams feature a franchise QB, and not your average joe QB who tries not to lose games.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #24
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
I agree that he is here to simply not lose game, not win them.

Which is nice during the year if the team performs well. But is less nice when in the playoffs and SB, when you face solid opponents that are shutting down aspects of your game, and your QB needs to notch it up and make some things happen.

There is a reason that most SB winning teams feature a franchise QB, and not your average joe QB who tries not to lose games.
my lord

I think there is also a reason most super bowl winning teams also have a QB that is a total team guy, and they usually have some form of a defense to go with it

Dilfer might be the ultimate example
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
my lord

I think there is also a reason most super bowl winning teams also have a QB that is a total team guy, and they usually have some form of a defense to go with it

Dilfer might be the ultimate example

Brad Johnson, as well.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote