The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer
 
HEAV's Avatar
 
It's about the Team

Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Ville
Posts: 12,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Pears will start at left guard...for Raiders




By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 at 3:17 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Rather than create change at two positions, Raiders coach Tom Cable said Wednesday Erik Pears will replace Robert Gallery at left guard when Oakland hosts the Denver Broncos.

Cable said Pears has every position along the offensive line in the NFL, but the only game action has been at right and left tackle, where he had 26 starts with Denver in 2006 and 2007. Pears had seven starts at guard for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe in 2005.

Starting Pears at guard will enable to keep Chris Morris at center.

“I think one move rather than two is the way I felt,” Cable said. “That was the deciding factor.”

It’s another indication that Samson Satele, acquired by trade (the Raiders gave up a sixth round pick and swapped fourth-round selections) from Miami in the offseason to replace Jake Grove, has fallen far below expectations.

Morris is considered more versatile and better at making line calls and sight adjustments, something which will be crucial against a Denver 3-4 defense which Cable said can send pressure from different angles.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...at-left-guard/
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
underrated29
10-6 baby.
 
Cutler doesnt suck

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,079

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Pears sucked balls for us at LT. Doom and Ayers are going to eat him alive. Either that or they have to bring Zac the TE in to help. Which favors us even more as he is their best receiving weapon.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Pears sucked balls for us at LT. Doom and Ayers are going to eat him alive. Either that or they have to bring Zac the TE in to help. Which favors us even more as he is their best receiving weapon.
No way. He was good as an LT filling in for Lepsis, and then he sucked as an RT.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

Didn't he play at the same time as Foster? Because Foster made everybody else look great.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Pears sucked balls for us at LT. Doom and Ayers are going to eat him alive. Either that or they have to bring Zac the TE in to help. Which favors us even more as he is their best receiving weapon.
Well as a guard he will spend more time going against Fields and Peterson/Mcbean. The LT/RT will get plenty of Doom
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Does Cornell Green still start for them too?

Their personnel and cap situations are nothing short of laughable.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,109

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
Does Cornell Green still start for them too?
Cornell Green is a lot better than you think.

The right side of Oakland's line - Carlisle and Green - ****ed up the Chargers' front seven.

KC did good against the run but the pass rush sucked.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Cornell Green is a lot better than you think.

The right side of Oakland's line - Carlisle and Green - ****ed up the Chargers' front seven.

KC did good against the run but the pass rush sucked.
Broncos just have a really confident defense right now. It has a lot of leadership now in Dawkins and a healthy Bailey.

I still think Broncos and Raiders not that far apart so it will be a close game. But Russell just looks horrible. It's beyond decision making to the point even when he picks right target you never know were ball will go.

Broncos pretty big upfront, it will be interesting to see how game goes. You know Broncos will throw ball at least 30 times. The question is will that produce points that make Raiders have to throw ball as well.

I'm not sure with Gallery out Raiders will be very good inside. Pears from what I remember not very guard like at all.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
thumpc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Future
Posts: 774

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn
Default

Pears made 1st team all europe at RG.
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Gawd, I can't believe that Russell fatass was taken first.

Raiders have alot of speed outside in McFadden and Fargis.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpc View Post
Pears made 1st team all europe at RG.
I kinda like the new coach in raiderworld.

I doubt he's much worse than Hamilton at this point.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,404
Default

Isn't Pears like 6-7? Seems a little to tall for the leverage needed in the run game inside. Pass blocking probably not a big deal but IMO 6-8 and if I remember sort of an upright type player, doesn't seem like a fit inside.

In any event Gallery was really blossoming as a gaurd. Losing him a huge blow to Raiders line.

Notice how much better we got with Kuper back out there. It's tough losing your best inline, inside blocker.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
I kinda like the new coach in raiderworld.

I doubt he's much worse than Hamilton at this point.
I thought Hamilton rebounded really well. He will have hands full with Raiders dline though. Thats probably where they will attack us inside. Right between Wiegman and Hamilton.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,801

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

All I remember is us saying how bad JaMarcus was (and he was quite bad) and then he did what he needed to do in a Denver ass kicking at our place.

He went 10-11 152 yards 1TD 0INT 0SCK 0FUM and a 149.1 QB rating...

For kicks, the first game against us he had a 111.1 QB rating which included 2 TD's 0INT's and a 65.4 completion % as well (granted it was helped by us just playing prevent the entire 2nd half).

Point being... while JaMarcus is the epitome of a ****ty 1st pick... every so often he shows up and does what's needed to get a win.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #15
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,265

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
All I remember is us saying how bad JaMarcus was (and he was quite bad) and then he did what he needed to do in a Denver ass kicking at our place.

He went 10-11 152 yards 1TD 0INT 0SCK 0FUM and a 149.1 QB rating...

For kicks, the first game against us he had a 111.1 QB rating which included 2 TD's 0INT's and a 65.4 completion % as well (granted it was helped by us just playing prevent the entire 2nd half).

Point being... while JaMarcus is the epitome of a ****ty 1st pick... every so often he shows up and does what's needed to get a win.
The game at Invesco, I don't think we blitzed once the entire game.

The way to beat Russell is to get pressure on him, he's absolutely pathetic when you do that. Instead Slowik sent miserable 3 and 4 man rushes at the Raiders all day, and let them pick us apart.

It was laughable, one of the worst gameplans I've ever seen, and anyone who thinks Bob Slowik would ever have been anything more than a catastrophe of a DC for us is an idiot.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #16
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit
 
broncogary's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
The game at Invesco, I don't think we blitzed once the entire game.

The way to beat Russell is to get pressure on him, he's absolutely pathetic when you do that. Instead Slowik sent miserable 3 and 4 man rushes at the Raiders all day, and let them pick us apart.

It was laughable, one of the worst gameplans I've ever seen, and anyone who thinks Bob Slowik would ever have been anything more than a catastrophe of a DC for us is an idiot.
Agree. Even Russell can pick you apart if you don't pressure him.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #17
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ex-Australia - now in Da 'Boig!
Posts: 959

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Gawd, I can't believe that Russell fatass was taken first.

Raiders have alot of speed outside in McFadden and Fargis.
It's McFadden and Bush, both are fast but Bush is more of a threat IMO. Fargas hasn't played this year.
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Denver Broncos