The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Another defensive Question ?

So I know it has only been two games but WOW they are looking great. So my question is, is it the players or the coach. I have to say Nolan has made the biggest difference.

Your thoughts?
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Nolan.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
Nolan.
umm, he's not on the field. Its a healthy mixture of both. and you just hate giving any credit to mcd, dont you
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
umm, he's not on the field. Its a healthy mixture of both. and you just hate giving any credit to mcd, dont you
You didn't read the question there, smiley.

Want me to help?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Not to take anything away from McD how has he helped the D other then picking up some great players? I thought he was all about the offense?? Not being sarcastic here I would really like to know.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Its both
We upgraded the talent on the defense with additions like Andre Goodman, Brian Dawkins, Rinaldo Hill, Andra Davis, Ronald Fields, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith, Darcel McBath, etc...

We have also upgraded the coaching by bringing in an accomplished coordinator in Nolan and some accomplished position coaches like Nunnely, Martindale, and Donatell

The scheme is also much more creative and aggressive than last years, which is a product of good coaching

Our defense is still new and teams dont have a ton of tape on us, so I will temper expectations as teams will find our weaknesses as the season progresses

But regardless we have made big improvements over the trash we fielded last year
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
carlosgmz1
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
knowshon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos0707 View Post
Not to take anything away from McD how has he helped the D other then picking up some great players? I thought he was all about the offense?? Not being sarcastic here I would really like to know.
well before Mcd was the pats offensive coordinator he was a defensive assistant so he could be helping out with the D! i'm not sure how much he actually gets involved though

And to answer the question, I think it's Nolan cuz these players aren't that much better than the ones we had last year yet they are playing nothing like them!
carlosgmz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosgmz1 View Post
well before Mcd was the pats offensive coordinator he was a defensive assistant so he could be helping out with the D! i'm not sure how much he actually gets involved though

And to answer the question, I think it's Nolan cuz these players aren't that much better than the ones we had last year yet they are playing nothing like them!
Goodman had a good year last year, Dawkins is better than Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel combined, Alphonso Smith > Bly... Saying that our D players are not much better than last years is silly. You're so silly.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...

Something I said before... Some credit for our defensive performance needs to go to McDaniels and the play calling he is doing. So far he has done a fantastic job of keeping our defense out of bad situations.

It's more conservative than I'm use to, but it has definately helped the defense out.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

McD does coach the defensive players some. There were many reports out of camp of McD showing defensive players how to beat what the offensive players were doing, then turning around and showing the offensive payers how to counter what he just taught the defense.

Most of the credit goes to the defensive staff, but McD assembled that staff and got them players to run the schemes.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

It's absolutely both.

Fields was a guy Nolan liked coming in. Peterson was one of our best linemen last season.... and McBean has been a nice surprise. Doom is CLEARLY better served where he is now.

Andra Davis was a great addition. He led the team in tackles Sunday and has been very stout against the run. (Which is why he's here.)

The secondary is obviously vastly improved.

But, the system and Nolan are all part of it, too.

It's definitely both.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Nolan is a major reason, just the coaching in general is a big thing. the talent level on the last few years defenses was NOT as bad as our defense looked. we had playmakers, and decent starters for the most part(not saying we were incredible or anything) but we were not as bad talent wise as our stats would lead us to believe.

coaching fixed a lot of the defensive problems. decent coaching last year and our defense was probably middle of the pack in rankings.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I might as well.......

EARN IT - TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT

The defensive "on the field" leadership from Dawkins is clearly resonating to the other players also. But credit has to go alot of places because there are coaches and 11 players doing the job and getting it done.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Most of the time I believe it's players not plays, but this scheme is allowing our players to thrive, though some of is it talent.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
McMastermind
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone that thinks McD has nothing to do with the defensive improvement is insane.

Nolan deserves a **** ton of credit no doubt but ATTITUDE starts at the top and that top is McD.
McMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Well let's see the defense has 2 new linebackers, 2 new safety's one of whom is potentially a HOF safety. 2 new CB's one vet one rookie hot shot. Peterson in over Engleberger, McBean in and Feilds added as a FA.

I'd have to say it's more the players being more talented. But also the scheme change seems to have been good for Dumerville who was are most gifted pass rusher.

I'm going to say 50/50 even.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It's Mcdaniels credit 100%. If Nolan is a great coach for us, it's because Mcdaniels made a smart pick and Joe Ellis did the paperwork.

Mcdaniels is a great hire. I'm so glad I was on record even before we hired him as being the coach I wanted.

By the way how is that Spagnulo guy doing?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

We have definitely improved the defensive talent we are putting out on the field. Brian Dawkins alone makes this unit a massive upgrade over last years bunch.

I'm still giving tons of Nolan/McD and the rest of coaching staff though. They are getting way more production out of some of the FA Dlineman we signed then I think anyone could have imagined. Not to mention they have seemed to totally rejuvenate Dumervil's career with the move to OLB. Very impressive how quickly they have gotten this unit to flourish so far in a totally new system. I'll be real curious to see how this D holds up against some more talented offenses.
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Elvis and Davis.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

take the jets for example..they only have 2 new starters this year and look like a brand new team. its a combination of improved talent all over the field (for us), a new coach with a scheme that is actually effective, and renewed energy all over the field, these guys are playing with enthusiasm we havent seen on D in awhile.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #21
DivineLegion
The Surgeon Cometh

Tic' Toc' The Manning Clock

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Did anyone notice we are running what seems to be a 3-3 front in our nickle package. Doom with his hand down, Peterson, and Fields on the line with DJ, Woodyard, and Ayers as LBs. Two of Elvis' sacks came from this look...I like it.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #22
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Our tackling has improved by miles. Last year we cheated up the safeties constantly because we couldn't stop the run but it made no difference because McCree/Manual were whiff machines. The tackling from our LBers back to Secondary has improved a huge amount.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #23
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

1) Much better tackling
2) Nolan's schemes
3) Bengals and Browns
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Nolan
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's Nolan and also the players who are executing the scheme. Not to mention the players seem on the same page. The last few years, it's been countless times the defense would leave guys wide open all over the field, which resulted in big plays, and Bronco defenders looking at each other like they didn't know who was supposed to be covering who and just a jumbled mess out there. It was happening just about every game, but I haven't noticed much of that these first 2 games.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote