The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Give the O a break and lets talk some D

Who do you think has been the biggest play maker on defense in the first two games? I love what DOOOOM has been doing but I have to say Dawkins. You can see his leadership and he seems to be everywhere the ball is. The best part about him is man when he hits someone he hits them.

I would like to here you views on not just who you think but why.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
when he hits someone he hits them
Easily a John Madden quote but I know what you mean. I think the brightest spots have been Dawkins, Dumervil, and Davis. These guys are flying to the ball. That said, it's a team effort and a lot of people are playing above expectations (Mcbean is a great example).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Ron Fields has been much better than I anticipated. Andra Davis, too.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Easily a John Madden quote but I know what you mean. I think the brightest spots have been Dawkins, Dumervil, and Davis. These guys are flying to the ball. That said, it's a team effort and a lot of people are playing above expectations (Mcbean is a great example).
HAHA Thats great! I'm going out right now to buy a yellow pen.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I think the last-second INT by my adopt-a-bronco puts him front and center for the biggest difference-maker on defense.

Oh, him and Dawkins.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

Miami needed Hill and Goodman last night.
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpc View Post
Miami needed Hill and Goodman last night.
Vonnie Holliday too.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Brian Dawkins so far has proven to be a great signing

His leadership and intensity has raised everyone else's game that much more
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Williams
Pro Bowler

I've been very impressed with Andra Davis so far. He's been all over the field hitting hard, and leads the team in tackles. He's a presence we've been missing in the middle since losing (the great) Al Wilson. Also looks like a great leader out there.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Fields, Peterson, McBean are holding strong against the run.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Champ was on the Broncos Show last night and they asked him about Dawkins presence and he said the team hasnt had anyone even remotely like him since he first got here and Al was manning the middle.

He said he reminds him of Al in that regard.

Big Al, still my favorite Bronco defender of the last 20 years. Love me some Champ but Al was all heart buddy.

Anyway, as far as teh OP its hard to argue with Dawkins presence. Totally wish we could have had this guy the last 10 years, he's so freakin easy to root for.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos0707 View Post
Who do you think has been the biggest play maker on defense in the first two games? I love what DOOOOM has been doing but I have to say Dawkins. You can see his leadership and he seems to be everywhere the ball is. The best part about him is man when he hits someone he hits them.

I would like to here you views on not just who you think but why.
Well sometimes its other players that allow guys like Doom to be playmakers.

Playmakers I would say you are right Doom after going off for 4 sacks.

The biggest reason we are better though is Ron Fields, and Kenny Peterson. They are playing tough tough football inside right now. They are battling playing harder on the front then I have seen from Broncos football in awhile.

After that the biggest improvement is Dawkins, Haagan, Hill in that order. Goodman also seems at least as good if not better then BLY. ALthough IMO Bly would be doing really well in this defense. He played hard last yr and was just in a crappy defense.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

The line is winning at the line of scrimmage. That didnt happen last year, and we got gashed. This season, the "big 3" are holding their own allowing Doom, Williams, Davis Ayers/Haggan to get to the ball carrier. The secondary is also doing a great job killing off the big play, and a big reason for that is the health of Bailey and Dawkins knows what spots to get to. Its early, but so far this defense is fun to watch.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Wow, good question....I guess after thinking about it for a few minutes, I'd say the secondary as a whole deserves the most credit. They haven't given up an explosive play, they've came up great to support the run, and to stop the short passing plays ( 3 and 5or more and we tackle them for gains below the marker).

Love Nolan and his scheme. impressed w/rookie Phonz Smith, and Robert Ayers. He is going to be a player.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Very early, but they do look damn good. I had almost forgotten what a sack looked like.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
The line is winning at the line of scrimmage. That didnt happen last year, and we got gashed. This season, the "big 3" are holding their own :
The defensive line improvements have paid major dividends thus far. The front 7 overhaul was needed and the results are still to be decided... but look very positive thus far.

The other thing is, even when guys do get past our front 3, you're not seeing massive runs or breakdowns the way we did last season. Every 4 yard run where a back gets free doesn't wind up a 40 yard run.

We've got intelligent safety play now, and Nolan talked about that at the beginning of the season. He basically said that you can't have a bunch of idiots manning your secondary or you're going to give up huge plays, even if your D-line IS doing their job well.

It just feels like a more complete unit. I still think we need to gain a more consistent attack and push up front, but it's light-years better than last season.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
TheDave
Sauced...

As teams get more film on them they will get exploited at some point... At that point it will matter how they can adjust.

Fortunately with the coaching staff and the secondary I think they can adjust.

I think the key for us will be staying relatively healthy, were still pretty thin at some positions.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Anybody else still trying to get all the new numbers straight? I still occasionally find myself saying "who was that?" after a tackle by one of our front 7.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Anybody else still trying to get all the new numbers straight? I still occasionally find myself saying "who was that?" after a tackle by one of our front 7.

Just the defensiveline. I know 90 and 99. The linebackers I have down. 56 is nice to see on the field.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
As teams get more film on them they will get exploited at some point... At that point it will matter how they can adjust.

Fortunately with the coaching staff and the secondary I think they can adjust.

I think the key for us will be staying relatively healthy, were still pretty thin at some positions.
The reason the 3-4 getting so popular is its so easy to play the same defense but change the look up. You can run linebackers all over the place.

I think what you will see if a big oline challenge Broncos by just going right at them and really seeing if this team can stop the run. Not from NE, but I do think from the Raiders this week.

Cable is going to try to just ram it down the field and then mix in some throws to the TE/RB and then a couple bombs prob.

More then anything though he has the oline there playing better. Gallery just went down though so that will hurt them at guard.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Dawk. The defense has been playing better than the sum of its parts and I put that down to his leadership and fire.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #22
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

WOW there are some great answers in here and I feel even better about them then before. I like the fact that so many people have so many different people listed, this reassures me that the D is playing as a whole unit rather then just single players.

I think I have changed my answer though. I think it has to be the coaches. After reading your answers and putting it all together I think it comes out to be the coaches and there abilities to show them they can play as a team. I am just floored that we could be that bad last year and come in here and lay the wood like we have.

Hey on a side note

I posted this question on the other board and got 3 smart ass answers. It just goes to show me how much better this board is. Thank for keeping it real.

Go Broncos!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Biggest surprises for me have been Ryan McBean and Mario Haggan. Where the heck did these guys come from?

Nice story on Haggan:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/9...-mario?ref=CBS

And by same writer on McBean:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8...Denver_Broncos

I'm also happy with some of the depth that seems to be developing. Holliday should help out as he gets back in the groove. Ayers is going to come on eventually. Smith is looking good at the nickle spot. Etc, etc.

I really don't know how good this group is overall, but the defense as a whole looks substantially better than the disorganized and injured rabble that was getting torched for more than 38 pts per game down the stretch last last year.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I like the Smith kid. Not the biggest ( as we all know) but not afraid to stick his nose in there and take the runner down. Will be a starter very soon imo
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote