The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default Questions for those who saw the game......

OK, so I refuse to pay for NFL gamepass at the moment as I think its overpriced and I hear nothing but complaints from the other posters here who do have it.

So last night I managed to find a free stream, but it was truly awful and I gave up at halftime not ever having been able to have watched a full play without the damn thing hanging.

Added to which my wife made it known that she was wearing the intimissimi neglige I cought her for our honeymoon and...well....you know..........if the stream had been working better ..............(halftime was about 1030pm in the UK..)

So i couldn't really see a great deal of the first half and didn't even bother to try in the second, meaning that there are a few questions I have about certain things and I'd be grateful of some of the more experienced football-watchers on this board could venture their opinions.

Its clear that we ran more in the second half, but I'm wondering if we actually changed personnel or formation substantially? I noticed in the preseason (in a game I was actually able to see) that when Brandstater went in we seemed to revert to a more traditional pro-set type offense compared to the spread formations that we ran with Orton - or at least you didn't see so much of the empty backfield.

In this game we seemed to come out passing with a lot of empty-backfield sets but that clearly didn't work. I saw from the stats that the run/pass ratio came way down in the second half, and along with it Orton's accuracy seemed to improve.

In the first half we had 1st and goal from the 5 and threw 3 incomplete passes, in the 2nd half we didn;t mess about, and with 1st and goal at the 2 we had Hochstein (I heard this in another post) playing fullback for Hillis and punched it in.

The reason why I raise this is that I have a gut feeling that McDaniels knows he has a decent offense that could easily win a lot of games from a more traditional formation, but is keen to establish his spread offense if he can, the reasoning being that if he can get that going consistently the offense will be more productive in the long run.

This is good becuase a) it shows the players and coaches are flexible b) it means there is an upside for the offense and c) it means we always have something to fall back on when the fancy stuff doesn't work......

But am I right? Those who saw the damn game I would like to know.

I'd also like to know what the balance of opinion was regarding all those incompletions (Orton was 11 of 27 at halftime) - were there many drops or were the guys just not open?
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Punisher
Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Next time try this streams

homertv.net
atdhe.net <------ Best one
channelsurfing.net
aswenton.blogspot.com
justin.tv
ustream.com
veetle.com
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Stokely had a big drop, but I don't recall any others.

As Shannon Sharpe pointed out, we couldn't get open. I know of a few plays where Orton had all day in the pocket, but couldn't find anybody.

Orton had a little more zip on the ball yesterday.

Our run blocking hasn't been very impressive. I don't think Moreno has been in space other than a screen pass yesterday.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Honestly, Cleveland has some big bodies in their front seven and did a good job of stuffing the run early. As stated before, Stokely was the main mismatch in intermediate routes yesterday.

The way to attack a "Big" defense is to spread them out. That's why we went with the spread. They were just pretty good in coverage - their secondary played very fast. And, Orton was definitely "careful" with the ball.

Orton's pedestrian style takes some getting nused to, but I sure like the result. This team looks like it is really starting to gel. The Raiders will not be an easy game next week, so I hope the good decisions continue in Oakland.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think McDaniels want to show many looks to teams since it makes it harder for teams to prepare for what they will do.

They ran mostly 1 back sets, except at the goal line when Hillis can in behind a FB.

I also think once Marshall gets his head straight, they will get more creative with sets.

In the beginning of the game, the WR's did have troubles getting separation. There were many times that Orton had a ton of time to throw, but nobody to throw to and had to unload once he did get some pressure.

Orton did go 8-10 in the 2nd half, so the passing game picked up quite well then.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Next time try this streams

homertv.net
atdhe.net <------ Best one
channelsurfing.net
aswenton.blogspot.com
justin.tv
ustream.com
veetle.com
Sadly, that 'best one' is the one i tried! Literally, ran for 5 seconds, then hung for 5 seconds, ran for 5, hung for 5 all day long. Sooooooo frustrating

I think, however, that my ISP may be garbage so a change in that area may help - I got the broadband thrown in dirt cheap with the Satellitel TV and I don't think I've had a decent streaming experience since! Ya gets what ya pays for I suppose (but its also another factor holding me back from buying Gamepass for the time being at least......)

As to the football, I noticed that Marshall was mooching about doing nothing on the sideline for the whole of the first half, however I saw him make a couple of nice plays in the second half on the highlight reel, so I'm betting he finished the game looking and feeling better than he did at the start... fingers crossed he can pull his head out of his ass and start playing.......
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Can you stream Broncos radio from 850KOA or anything? I would rather have good announcers and description of the game over attempting to watch a crappy feed.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Go here:

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/nfl-cfl-afl/

and use a stream that works with a program called Stream Torrent. You have to dl the program, but the streams are some of the best ive ever seen.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

StreamTorrent is good, you should try that one and the lowest quality streams.

The WRs were NOT getting open in the first half. Like someone said, Orton had all day and was going through his progressions but from the replays I've seen people were not getting open. That changed in the second half though.

BTW did anyone think Hillis was still pissed about his fumble after he scored the TD? He didn't even celebrate and he was holding his head down all the time while people were jumping on him to celebrate. I bet McD chewed him up BAD.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I can't DVR the Sunday Ticket games so this is all from memory.

I thought Orton was throwing a lot of balls away, Stokely was getting open late in the 1st quarter and early 2nd, for some reason they held Marshall out in the 2nd quarter. Cleveland was also sending lots of pressure and playing man, they were covering well until the 3rd quarter.

I thought the game turned on a screen to Knowshon, once Cleveland had to play the screens their coverages began to break down and guys were getting open. Once we were up big we had sucess running the ball.

I saw a lot of different formations all game. They went back to a traditional offset I to run the ball if that is what your question is but when they passed there was everything from 3 TE sets to empty's.

I find it funny that all the Posters that have started a "Pick a fight with a Bronco fan thread" as Taco calls it are staying away from a football talk thread. Guys like Whoisjohngalt, baja, broncorob, bronco0608, broncofan7...
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

The way I saw it was the O certainly changed up the scheme/formations 2nd half. I saw Quinn in there more. Seemed to me they changed up quite a bit after halftime, not so much in personnel, but in scheme. They had mixed it up quite a bit the first half going between shotgun and under center, but I saw more of the 'bunch' formations in the second half. Sometimes left side, sometimes right. Keep in mind there was a stiff crosswind all day, enough to make the goalpost flags stand at 30-45 degrees the whole game.

They certainly tried to attack more with the running game in the second half. They got more aggressive with the 2 TE formation and the bunch, more personnel closer to the LOS. Less cute, more power. The TE's were in there to block, not try to peel off and get open. It was good to see the versatility of the O.

As for McD trying to use the spread as much as he can, I think it's a part of his overall strategy to test his own team as well as the opposing D. So yes, absolutely the O showed all kinds of flexibility this game. They got into a rhythm and just started kicking ass. The altitude has something to do with it, having a better conditioned team certainly showed in the 4th Q.

I didn't lose much heart by the 11/27 at the half. They had no timeouts on the final drive of the 1st half, so Orton had to throw almost every down and some of those were throwaways to stop the clock, and again the crosswind was brutal. Also, Marshall fell down on one INC, missed a hot read on another, which incidentally led to him having to be sat down again. Royal also was totally gassed in the 2nd quarter, he was slowing up the whole O rhythm because he was so slow getting back to the huddle. Orton was waiting on him quite a bit. Hence the intravenous fluids Royal had to take at halftime.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I think McDaniels want to show many looks to teams since it makes it harder for teams to prepare for what they will do.

They ran mostly 1 back sets, except at the goal line when Hillis can in behind a FB.

I also think once Marshall gets his head straight, they will get more creative with sets.

In the beginning of the game, the WR's did have troubles getting separation. There were many times that Orton had a ton of time to throw, but nobody to throw to and had to unload once he did get some pressure.

Orton did go 8-10 in the 2nd half, so the passing game picked up quite well then.
Yah, I agree. I'm impressed with how he mixes things up. And that sure looked like a well-schooled versatile O Sunday. I better settle down, I'm getting too giddy.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I can't DVR the Sunday Ticket games so this is all from memory.

I thought Orton was throwing a lot of balls away, Stokely was getting open late in the 1st quarter and early 2nd, for some reason they held Marshall out in the 2nd quarter. Cleveland was also sending lots of pressure and playing man, they were covering well until the 3rd quarter.

I thought the game turned on a screen to Knowshon, once Cleveland had to play the screens their coverages began to break down and guys were getting open. Once we were up big we had sucess running the ball.

I saw a lot of different formations all game. They went back to a traditional offset I to run the ball if that is what your question is but when they passed there was everything from 3 TE sets to empty's.

I find it funny that all the Posters that have started a "Pick a fight with a Bronco fan thread" as Taco calls it are staying away from a football talk thread. Guys like Whoisjohngalt, baja, broncorob, bronco0608, broncofan7...
I find it funny that you think a thread that discusses QB being the WEAK link on our team as OPPOSED to last year where it was our strength is not 'football talk' to you.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I find it funny that you think a thread that discusses QB being the WEAK link on our team as OPPOSED to last year where it was our strength is not 'football talk' to you.
You're kidding, right?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
You're kidding, right?
What is the weakest link on our team now? Our defense is playing AMAZING--our ST are above average (except for our kickers/punters)--last year our issuse was defense--this year it's QB. You disagree?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
What is the weakest link on our team now? Our defense is playing AMAZING--our ST are above average (except for our kickers/punters)--last year our issuse was defense--this year it's QB. You disagree?
I find it hard to say a QB that has thrown for 506 yards, 2 TDs, and ZERO interceptions, with a 90.9 passer rating is a WEAK LINK......but hey, to each their own.

And inn case you didn't read it already....your hero has 513 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs......
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
I find it hard to say a QB that has thrown for 506 yards, 2 TDs, and ZERO interceptions, with a 90.9 passer rating is a WEAK LINK......but hey, to each their own.

And inn case you didn't read it already....your hero has 513 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs......
It's the extra 7 yds and the fact that he'll make the cover of Vanity Fair.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

with the running game in the 2nd half we got bigger on the line as well. we went into 3-TE sets often when we ran in the second half
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
It's the extra 7 yds and the fact that he'll make the cover of Vanity Fair.
! That was a good one.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

--how about 1 TD and 419 yards--an asterisk is needed for the 87 yard TD pass due strictly to divine intervention(running orton out there is going to take a weekly act of god for us to compete with the good teams)--and what are Royal and Marshall's stats with this albatross that we are putting out there? OH.

And GOD HELP US (AGAIN!) when we play PITT....... a noodle armed lead footed QB--PIT is going to EAT HIM UP ALIVE!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

that drop by stokes was a big one , but he is forgiven , he lays all out there for us , has since he got here ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #22
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
--how about 1 TD and 419 yards--an asterisk is needed for the 87 yard TD pass due strictly to divine intervention(running orton out there is going to take a weekly act of god for us to compete with the good teams)--and what are Royal and Marshall's stats with this albatross that we are putting out there? OH.

And GOD HELP US (AGAIN!) when we play PITT....... a noodle armed lead footed QB--PIT is going to EAT HIM UP ALIVE!
Funny, but I don't see an asterisk here...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...contentID=9777

Maybe that site can't be trusted, let's try the official NFL site...

http://www.nfl.com/players/kyleorton...e?id=ORT716150

Nope, no asterisk. I'm searching all over the net buddy, can you direct me to the site where you found that play didn't count? Is it anywhere near the site that had the Bills advancing over the Titans in the 2000 playoffs?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:

I got a laugh out of your fair and balanced quote under your avvy.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's rather sad to see supposed Bronco fans being more happy about a Bear win than a Bronco win.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #25
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
OK, so I refuse to pay for NFL gamepass at the moment as I think its overpriced and I hear nothing but complaints from the other posters here who do have it.

So last night I managed to find a free stream, but it was truly awful and I gave up at halftime not ever having been able to have watched a full play without the damn thing hanging.

Added to which my wife made it known that she was wearing the intimissimi neglige I cought her for our honeymoon and...well....you know..........if the stream had been working better ..............(halftime was about 1030pm in the UK..)

So i couldn't really see a great deal of the first half and didn't even bother to try in the second, meaning that there are a few questions I have about certain things and I'd be grateful of some of the more experienced football-watchers on this board could venture their opinions.

Its clear that we ran more in the second half, but I'm wondering if we actually changed personnel or formation substantially? I noticed in the preseason (in a game I was actually able to see) that when Brandstater went in we seemed to revert to a more traditional pro-set type offense compared to the spread formations that we ran with Orton - or at least you didn't see so much of the empty backfield.

In this game we seemed to come out passing with a lot of empty-backfield sets but that clearly didn't work. I saw from the stats that the run/pass ratio came way down in the second half, and along with it Orton's accuracy seemed to improve.

In the first half we had 1st and goal from the 5 and threw 3 incomplete passes, in the 2nd half we didn;t mess about, and with 1st and goal at the 2 we had Hochstein (I heard this in another post) playing fullback for Hillis and punched it in.

The reason why I raise this is that I have a gut feeling that McDaniels knows he has a decent offense that could easily win a lot of games from a more traditional formation, but is keen to establish his spread offense if he can, the reasoning being that if he can get that going consistently the offense will be more productive in the long run.

This is good becuase a) it shows the players and coaches are flexible b) it means there is an upside for the offense and c) it means we always have something to fall back on when the fancy stuff doesn't work......

But am I right? Those who saw the damn game I would like to know.

I'd also like to know what the balance of opinion was regarding all those incompletions (Orton was 11 of 27 at halftime) - were there many drops or were the guys just not open?
Hey man, not sure if you saw this or not. It's not that expensive. Less than a night out boozing with your boys. It's high quality and you can rewatch any games you want starting at midnight on gameday.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/registerform
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote