The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Our "Brutal" Schedule, Revisited

OK folks, after seeing our team two weeks and seeing the rest of the NFL after two weeks, I think I am going to revisit our schedule predictions.

Den @ Oak: W - JaMarcus Russell has a 35% completion percentange on the year. Stop the run, stop Oakland.
Dal @ Den: W - Dallas' defense doesn't look all that great to me. Their offense can be fooled. We will have to put 24+ points on the board in this game, but this is winnable.
NE @ Den: W - NE's defense looks old nad slow and their offense is missing something....McDaniels?
Den @ SD: L - I think Denver is going to go toe to toe with SD in this game but we gotta lose sometime and this is one that until we beat Rivers in SD I'm not giving us the benefit of the doubt.
BYE (Record: 5-1)
Den @ Bal: L - Im tempted to give us the W here, coming out of the bye, off a loss, Denver should be prepared, but Im not sold, Baltimore looks pretty strong.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short.
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks b****, and we do it convincingly.
NYG @ Den: L - Giants look like Contenders, Denver does not.
Den @ KC: W - This is a close one because its always tough in Narrowhead but I think we squeek one out here.
Den @ Indy: L - Peyton has our number, period. 3-4 might confuse him but I dont think we have the proper 3-4 to really get Peyton off his game.
Oak @ Den: W - A demolishing Performance by Denver folks.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though.
KC @ Denver: W - See the Oakland game.

11-5 looks like the BEST we can do. But as of right now, the way Denver has played vs the way the rest of the teams on our schedule have played, I believe we COULD get there. It just doesn't look as daunting anymore.

Odds are good it will be 9-7 or 10-6 but I am having a really hard time figuring this team finishes at or below .500.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Lets Hope Philly runs the table and is able to start there backups in the week 16 game.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Good thread, good analysis.

Every year the schedules that looked hard or easy in August start looking different as the season unfolds.

If this D keeps rolling, and Kyle avoids ints, I agree, we could be 5-1 going into the Bye.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer
 
Popcorn Sutton's Avatar
 
Don't mess with Popcorn

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Who cares
Posts: 3,766

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
OK folks, after seeing our team two weeks and seeing the rest of the NFL after two weeks, I think I am going to revisit our schedule predictions.

Den @ Oak: W - JaMarcus Russell has a 35% completion percentange on the year. Stop the run, stop Oakland.
Dal @ Den: W - Dallas' defense doesn't look all that great to me. Their offense can be fooled. We will have to put 24+ points on the board in this game, but this is winnable.
NE @ Den: W - NE's defense looks old nad slow and their offense is missing something....McDaniels?
Den @ SD: L - I think Denver is going to go toe to toe with SD in this game but we gotta lose sometime and this is one that until we beat Rivers in SD I'm not giving us the benefit of the doubt.
BYE (Record: 5-1)
Den @ Bal: L - Im tempted to give us the W here, coming out of the bye, off a loss, Denver should be prepared, but Im not sold, Baltimore looks pretty strong.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short.
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks b****, and we do it convincingly.
NYG @ Den: L - Giants look like Contenders, Denver does not.
Den @ KC: W - This is a close one because its always tough in Narrowhead but I think we squeek one out here.
Den @ Indy: L - Peyton has our number, period. 3-4 might confuse him but I dont think we have the proper 3-4 to really get Peyton off his game.
Oak @ Den: W - A demolishing Performance by Denver folks.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though.
KC @ Denver: W - See the Oakland game.

11-5 looks like the BEST we can do. But as of right now, the way Denver has played vs the way the rest of the teams on our schedule have played, I believe we COULD get there. It just doesn't look as daunting anymore.

Odds are good it will be 9-7 or 10-6 but I am having a really hard time figuring this team finishes at or below .500.
Dallas is playing better than what the score showed last night. I'm afraid their offense will give our defense fits because of Witten. They also have a gargantuan line that does a good job in run blocking. Being perfectly honest with myself I don't see that as being a win.

New England scares me from the stand point that Belichick disciples have not faired well in their first game against their former mentor.

I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week. Oakland is running the ball well and Russell is hit or miss. If he is playing well they are a pretty good team. They are showing a lot of improvement on defense.

I still feel like we are a 6-10 to 7-9 team this year. I'd be happy to eat some crow on this prediction.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
toad
Pro Bowler
 
toad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 668

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Clark
Default

Still seems like wishful thinking to me.....I think DAL, PIT, and NE, although not the juggernauts they were thought to be 2 weeks ago, are still likely to beat us...its hard to say w/ SD
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
DeuceOfClub
 
DeuceOfClub's Avatar
 
SuperBowl

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indian Rocks Beach
Posts: 1,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Until I see at least McSixteen McWins up there, I'm McCalling this one McBS.
DeuceOfClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Dallas is playing better than what the score showed last night. I'm afraid their offense will give our defense fits because of Witten. They also have a gargantuan line that does a good job in run blocking. Being perfectly honest with myself I don't see that as being a win.

New England scares me from the stand point that Belichick disciples have not faired well in their first game against their former mentor.

I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week. Oakland is running the ball well and Russell is hit or miss. If he is playing well they are a pretty good team. They are showing a lot of improvement on defense.

I still feel like we are a 6-10 to 7-9 team this year. I'd be happy to eat some crow on this prediction.
If the Dallas and NE games were on the road they'd be L's.

I just don't believe we are going to lose either of those games at home. The schedule would be a lot more difficult if most of those home games we got were on the road but we get Pitt, NE, Dallas and the Giants at home whereas we have to go to Washington, Philly, Baltimore and Indy on the road. Of those road games, we probably go 1-3.

Jamarcus Russell is not hit or miss. He is horrible. 35% completion percentage in the NFL is flat out horrible. People complain when your completion precentage gets under 60%, and he is 25% UNDER THAT. If we stop Oakland's run game, they have NO SHOT and the way our defense stuffed Benson (who in turn, went to GB and ran for 141) I like our chances.

That being said, you just never know how the ball bounces. The 11-5 prediction is a best case scenario for this team IMO. 6-10 is ridiculous though, there is no way we are going under .500 from what I have seen of the NFL teams this year.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Still seems like wishful thinking to me.....I think DAL, PIT, and NE, although not the juggernauts they were thought to be 2 weeks ago, are still likely to beat us...its hard to say w/ SD
So you dont think we can beat NE - who looked very beatable in their game against Buffalo and, then turned around and didnt even score a TD against the Jets - at home?

Maybe we don't win 1 or 2 of those games but Im pretty certain we take AT LEAST one of them.

We'll know more in a few weeks but the point of this was really to show that our daunting schedule everyone fretted about really doesn't look nearly as daunting now.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,776
Default

Every year there are several teams who perform better than expected and several other supposed playoff contenders who fade.

Injuries take their toll to drive teams down. Young or revitalized players can perform better than expected. Some groups fall apart; others gel.

It's really hard to see more than a game or two down the road, so what looks like a hopeless game now might not look nearly so hopeless in a month or two. Likewise, some supposed pushovers turn out much tougher than expected. Then add in flukes and bounces of the ball and missed/bad official calls and rivalries and the natural ups and downs of the season and who the heck knows where it all leads.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week.
Bah, we're fans, not players. We are allowed to look past opponents to see what's ahead.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer
 
Popcorn Sutton's Avatar
 
Don't mess with Popcorn

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Who cares
Posts: 3,766

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
If the Dallas and NE games were on the road they'd be L's.

I just don't believe we are going to lose either of those games at home. The schedule would be a lot more difficult if most of those home games we got were on the road but we get Pitt, NE, Dallas and the Giants at home whereas we have to go to Washington, Philly, Baltimore and Indy on the road. Of those road games, we probably go 1-3.

Jamarcus Russell is not hit or miss. He is horrible. 35% completion percentage in the NFL is flat out horrible. People complain when your completion precentage gets under 60%, and he is 25% UNDER THAT. If we stop Oakland's run game, they have NO SHOT and the way our defense stuffed Benson (who in turn, went to GB and ran for 141) I like our chances.

That being said, you just never know how the ball bounces. The 11-5 prediction is a best case scenario for this team IMO. 6-10 is ridiculous though, there is no way we are going under .500 from what I have seen of the NFL teams this year.
I hope you are right. I think it's a bit early to predict but I like your optimism.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer
 
Popcorn Sutton's Avatar
 
Don't mess with Popcorn

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Who cares
Posts: 3,766

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Bah, we're fans, not players. We are allowed to look past opponents to see what's ahead.
True, I guess my point is I'm concerned about winning this week. Oak should have been San Diego in week 1.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
NYBronc
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronc's Avatar
 
pka young wu

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Brookhaven, NY
Posts: 1,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
So you dont think we can beat NE - who looked very beatable in their game against Buffalo and, then turned around and didnt even score a TD against the Jets - at home?
That game was at the Meadowlands and the Jets D is legit. But NE looks vulnerable, I agree.
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer
 
atomicbloke's Avatar
 
La 12 Boca Juniors

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line
Default

Did you notice that we play 4 good teams coming off bye weeks? That's a huge disadvantage. It is tough to go on the road against an east coast team, that is coming off a bye week, and an early game to boot.... Shanny's teams would fare very badly in such situations... let's see if Mcd can work on this aspect....

Also, after our own bye week, we play the Ravens.... who will also be coming off a bye week.... thus our own bye week advantage is nullified....

The schedule is indded brutal....
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Still a little ambitious for my taste. The Dallas game will be telling, because they have many weapons on offense. If our defense can keep up with them, I'll be sold on them and your predictions. I do think the offense will be fine.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
True, I guess my point is I'm concerned about winning this week. Oak should have been San Diego in week 1.
Oh, its a week to week thing for sure, Old Dude is right you just never know whats going to happen with injuries, miracles, swoons, fades, etc.

The schedule just doesnt appear to be as daunting and this was more about perceptions of the schedule than actual predictions (even though I made them). All things being equal, its not out of the realm of possibility for this team to go 11-5.

I guess its not out of the real of possibility that we go 6-10, but from what Ive seen I am just having a hard time buying into that.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,229

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Lets Hope Philly runs the table and is able to start there backups in the week 16 game.
Philly is always a team that irks me. they are so Jekyl and Hyde in their play. 1 week they look like a super bowl contender and the next they look like a team that the Rams or Lions could destroy.

if they don't run the table, i hope we get them on one of their bad weeks.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
Did you notice that we play 4 good teams coming off bye weeks? That's a huge disadvantage. It is tough to go on the road against an east coast team, that is coming off a bye week, and an early game to boot.... Shanny's teams would fare very badly in such situations... let's see if Mcd can work on this aspect....

Also, after our own bye week, we play the Ravens.... who will also be coming off a bye week.... thus our own bye week advantage is nullified....

The schedule is indded brutal....
Shanny isn't here so I don't know how we are going to fare against East coast teams on the road in early games.

I also didn't give us the win against the Ravens coming off a loss AND a bye week, if you notice. Anything is possible though.

Its not AS brutal as it looked because some of those teams we play do indeed look a little less powerful this year and Denver does indeed look a little better than most of us thought they would.

11-5 is a BEST CASE scenario for this team, for the third time. 9-7 does seem more likely to me though.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Bah, we're fans, not players. We are allowed to look past opponents to see what's ahead.
Wait, you mean what we say here doesn't make a difference? None of us are on the roster or attend meetings?

Man, this turns my whole world upside down.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Wait, you mean what we say here doesn't make a difference? None of us are on the roster or attend meetings?

Man, this turns my whole world upside down.
Nice.

Just came too close to one of my two message board pet peeves.

1. Posters telling other posters not to look ahead/overlook the current opponent.
2. Posters bringing up the concept of "karma" in response to other posts. Like any of us really have that much control over the universe because of what we write here.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Nice.

Just came too close to one of my two message board pet peeves.

1. Posters telling other posters not to look ahead/overlook the current opponent.
2. Posters bringing up the concept of "karma" in response to other posts. Like any of us really have that much control over the universe because of what we write here.
I agree actually.

I just have amazing sarcasm
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
McMastermind
Rookie
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 66

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post


11-5 is a BEST CASE scenario for this team, for the third time. 9-7 does seem more likely to me though.
Yep...I have no idea how people are actually coming up with only 4-5 wins.

I've been saying for months....
2-0 vs. Ohio
4-2 vs. AFCW (split SD, sweep one but not both of KC & Oak)
2-2 vs. NFCE
2-2 vs. NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy.
McMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer
 
Popcorn Sutton's Avatar
 
Don't mess with Popcorn

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Who cares
Posts: 3,766

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Nice.

Just came too close to one of my two message board pet peeves.

1. Posters telling other posters not to look ahead/overlook the current opponent.
2. Posters bringing up the concept of "karma" in response to other posts. Like any of us really have that much control over the universe because of what we write here.
Calm down Skippy. I said "I'm trying to not look past this week." You can look ahead all you want to.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Dallas dominated the game last night. Tony single-handedly cost his team that game. I thought their defense played fairly effectively. They worked hard at shutting down the run and did a good job.

I would agree that we should win at Oakland, for the reasons stated above - Jamarcus, stop the run...

I think, however, I am gonna wait and see how we do against a competent NFL team. And that competent NFL team is going to be Dallas in week 4. That, and we will have a better feel for every other team out there, too. At that point, I will decide whether or not to jump onto the 'we're going above .500 and probably to the playoffs' bandwagon.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,344

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Denver ALWAYS loses @ KC, no matter how good the Broncos are and how bad the Chiefs are.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Denver Broncos