The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Our "Brutal" Schedule, Revisited

OK folks, after seeing our team two weeks and seeing the rest of the NFL after two weeks, I think I am going to revisit our schedule predictions.

Den @ Oak: W - JaMarcus Russell has a 35% completion percentange on the year. Stop the run, stop Oakland.
Dal @ Den: W - Dallas' defense doesn't look all that great to me. Their offense can be fooled. We will have to put 24+ points on the board in this game, but this is winnable.
NE @ Den: W - NE's defense looks old nad slow and their offense is missing something....McDaniels?
Den @ SD: L - I think Denver is going to go toe to toe with SD in this game but we gotta lose sometime and this is one that until we beat Rivers in SD I'm not giving us the benefit of the doubt.
BYE (Record: 5-1)
Den @ Bal: L - Im tempted to give us the W here, coming out of the bye, off a loss, Denver should be prepared, but Im not sold, Baltimore looks pretty strong.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short.
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks b****, and we do it convincingly.
NYG @ Den: L - Giants look like Contenders, Denver does not.
Den @ KC: W - This is a close one because its always tough in Narrowhead but I think we squeek one out here.
Den @ Indy: L - Peyton has our number, period. 3-4 might confuse him but I dont think we have the proper 3-4 to really get Peyton off his game.
Oak @ Den: W - A demolishing Performance by Denver folks.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though.
KC @ Denver: W - See the Oakland game.

11-5 looks like the BEST we can do. But as of right now, the way Denver has played vs the way the rest of the teams on our schedule have played, I believe we COULD get there. It just doesn't look as daunting anymore.

Odds are good it will be 9-7 or 10-6 but I am having a really hard time figuring this team finishes at or below .500.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Lets Hope Philly runs the table and is able to start there backups in the week 16 game.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Good thread, good analysis.

Every year the schedules that looked hard or easy in August start looking different as the season unfolds.

If this D keeps rolling, and Kyle avoids ints, I agree, we could be 5-1 going into the Bye.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
OK folks, after seeing our team two weeks and seeing the rest of the NFL after two weeks, I think I am going to revisit our schedule predictions.

Den @ Oak: W - JaMarcus Russell has a 35% completion percentange on the year. Stop the run, stop Oakland.
Dal @ Den: W - Dallas' defense doesn't look all that great to me. Their offense can be fooled. We will have to put 24+ points on the board in this game, but this is winnable.
NE @ Den: W - NE's defense looks old nad slow and their offense is missing something....McDaniels?
Den @ SD: L - I think Denver is going to go toe to toe with SD in this game but we gotta lose sometime and this is one that until we beat Rivers in SD I'm not giving us the benefit of the doubt.
BYE (Record: 5-1)
Den @ Bal: L - Im tempted to give us the W here, coming out of the bye, off a loss, Denver should be prepared, but Im not sold, Baltimore looks pretty strong.
Pitt @ Den: W - Call it what you will, but Pitt is not the team that won the title last year. The o-line is trash, overload the right side and have at Big Ben. Their run game is bad and they cannot convert 3rd and short.
Den @ Wash: W - Washington sucks folks. They might be almost as bad as the Rams and Detroit. 3 FGs against St Louis, at home to win 9-7? Blech.
SD @ Denver: W - Paybacks b****, and we do it convincingly.
NYG @ Den: L - Giants look like Contenders, Denver does not.
Den @ KC: W - This is a close one because its always tough in Narrowhead but I think we squeek one out here.
Den @ Indy: L - Peyton has our number, period. 3-4 might confuse him but I dont think we have the proper 3-4 to really get Peyton off his game.
Oak @ Den: W - A demolishing Performance by Denver folks.
Den @ Phi: W/L - Im leaning towards L but this depends on which Philly team we see. The Jekyll or the Hyde. We are going L for our final standings though.
KC @ Denver: W - See the Oakland game.

11-5 looks like the BEST we can do. But as of right now, the way Denver has played vs the way the rest of the teams on our schedule have played, I believe we COULD get there. It just doesn't look as daunting anymore.

Odds are good it will be 9-7 or 10-6 but I am having a really hard time figuring this team finishes at or below .500.
Dallas is playing better than what the score showed last night. I'm afraid their offense will give our defense fits because of Witten. They also have a gargantuan line that does a good job in run blocking. Being perfectly honest with myself I don't see that as being a win.

New England scares me from the stand point that Belichick disciples have not faired well in their first game against their former mentor.

I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week. Oakland is running the ball well and Russell is hit or miss. If he is playing well they are a pretty good team. They are showing a lot of improvement on defense.

I still feel like we are a 6-10 to 7-9 team this year. I'd be happy to eat some crow on this prediction.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
toad
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Clark

Still seems like wishful thinking to me.....I think DAL, PIT, and NE, although not the juggernauts they were thought to be 2 weeks ago, are still likely to beat us...its hard to say w/ SD
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
DeuceOfClub

SuperBowl

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Until I see at least McSixteen McWins up there, I'm McCalling this one McBS.
DeuceOfClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Dallas is playing better than what the score showed last night. I'm afraid their offense will give our defense fits because of Witten. They also have a gargantuan line that does a good job in run blocking. Being perfectly honest with myself I don't see that as being a win.

New England scares me from the stand point that Belichick disciples have not faired well in their first game against their former mentor.

I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week. Oakland is running the ball well and Russell is hit or miss. If he is playing well they are a pretty good team. They are showing a lot of improvement on defense.

I still feel like we are a 6-10 to 7-9 team this year. I'd be happy to eat some crow on this prediction.
If the Dallas and NE games were on the road they'd be L's.

I just don't believe we are going to lose either of those games at home. The schedule would be a lot more difficult if most of those home games we got were on the road but we get Pitt, NE, Dallas and the Giants at home whereas we have to go to Washington, Philly, Baltimore and Indy on the road. Of those road games, we probably go 1-3.

Jamarcus Russell is not hit or miss. He is horrible. 35% completion percentage in the NFL is flat out horrible. People complain when your completion precentage gets under 60%, and he is 25% UNDER THAT. If we stop Oakland's run game, they have NO SHOT and the way our defense stuffed Benson (who in turn, went to GB and ran for 141) I like our chances.

That being said, you just never know how the ball bounces. The 11-5 prediction is a best case scenario for this team IMO. 6-10 is ridiculous though, there is no way we are going under .500 from what I have seen of the NFL teams this year.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Still seems like wishful thinking to me.....I think DAL, PIT, and NE, although not the juggernauts they were thought to be 2 weeks ago, are still likely to beat us...its hard to say w/ SD
So you dont think we can beat NE - who looked very beatable in their game against Buffalo and, then turned around and didnt even score a TD against the Jets - at home?

Maybe we don't win 1 or 2 of those games but Im pretty certain we take AT LEAST one of them.

We'll know more in a few weeks but the point of this was really to show that our daunting schedule everyone fretted about really doesn't look nearly as daunting now.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Every year there are several teams who perform better than expected and several other supposed playoff contenders who fade.

Injuries take their toll to drive teams down. Young or revitalized players can perform better than expected. Some groups fall apart; others gel.

It's really hard to see more than a game or two down the road, so what looks like a hopeless game now might not look nearly so hopeless in a month or two. Likewise, some supposed pushovers turn out much tougher than expected. Then add in flukes and bounces of the ball and missed/bad official calls and rivalries and the natural ups and downs of the season and who the heck knows where it all leads.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I think we'll pull a few of the "tough" games in the middle of the schedule out but I'm trying to not look past this week.
Bah, we're fans, not players. We are allowed to look past opponents to see what's ahead.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
If the Dallas and NE games were on the road they'd be L's.

I just don't believe we are going to lose either of those games at home. The schedule would be a lot more difficult if most of those home games we got were on the road but we get Pitt, NE, Dallas and the Giants at home whereas we have to go to Washington, Philly, Baltimore and Indy on the road. Of those road games, we probably go 1-3.

Jamarcus Russell is not hit or miss. He is horrible. 35% completion percentage in the NFL is flat out horrible. People complain when your completion precentage gets under 60%, and he is 25% UNDER THAT. If we stop Oakland's run game, they have NO SHOT and the way our defense stuffed Benson (who in turn, went to GB and ran for 141) I like our chances.

That being said, you just never know how the ball bounces. The 11-5 prediction is a best case scenario for this team IMO. 6-10 is ridiculous though, there is no way we are going under .500 from what I have seen of the NFL teams this year.
I hope you are right. I think it's a bit early to predict but I like your optimism.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Bah, we're fans, not players. We are allowed to look past opponents to see what's ahead.
True, I guess my point is I'm concerned about winning this week. Oak should have been San Diego in week 1.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

Quote:
So you dont think we can beat NE - who looked very beatable in their game against Buffalo and, then turned around and didnt even score a TD against the Jets - at home?
That game was at the Meadowlands and the Jets D is legit. But NE looks vulnerable, I agree.
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Did you notice that we play 4 good teams coming off bye weeks? That's a huge disadvantage. It is tough to go on the road against an east coast team, that is coming off a bye week, and an early game to boot.... Shanny's teams would fare very badly in such situations... let's see if Mcd can work on this aspect....

Also, after our own bye week, we play the Ravens.... who will also be coming off a bye week.... thus our own bye week advantage is nullified....

The schedule is indded brutal....
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Still a little ambitious for my taste. The Dallas game will be telling, because they have many weapons on offense. If our defense can keep up with them, I'll be sold on them and your predictions. I do think the offense will be fine.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
True, I guess my point is I'm concerned about winning this week. Oak should have been San Diego in week 1.
Oh, its a week to week thing for sure, Old Dude is right you just never know whats going to happen with injuries, miracles, swoons, fades, etc.

The schedule just doesnt appear to be as daunting and this was more about perceptions of the schedule than actual predictions (even though I made them). All things being equal, its not out of the realm of possibility for this team to go 11-5.

I guess its not out of the real of possibility that we go 6-10, but from what Ive seen I am just having a hard time buying into that.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Lets Hope Philly runs the table and is able to start there backups in the week 16 game.
Philly is always a team that irks me. they are so Jekyl and Hyde in their play. 1 week they look like a super bowl contender and the next they look like a team that the Rams or Lions could destroy.

if they don't run the table, i hope we get them on one of their bad weeks.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
Did you notice that we play 4 good teams coming off bye weeks? That's a huge disadvantage. It is tough to go on the road against an east coast team, that is coming off a bye week, and an early game to boot.... Shanny's teams would fare very badly in such situations... let's see if Mcd can work on this aspect....

Also, after our own bye week, we play the Ravens.... who will also be coming off a bye week.... thus our own bye week advantage is nullified....

The schedule is indded brutal....
Shanny isn't here so I don't know how we are going to fare against East coast teams on the road in early games.

I also didn't give us the win against the Ravens coming off a loss AND a bye week, if you notice. Anything is possible though.

Its not AS brutal as it looked because some of those teams we play do indeed look a little less powerful this year and Denver does indeed look a little better than most of us thought they would.

11-5 is a BEST CASE scenario for this team, for the third time. 9-7 does seem more likely to me though.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Wait, you mean what we say here doesn't make a difference? None of us are on the roster or attend meetings?

Man, this turns my whole world upside down.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Wait, you mean what we say here doesn't make a difference? None of us are on the roster or attend meetings?

Man, this turns my whole world upside down.
Nice.

Just came too close to one of my two message board pet peeves.

1. Posters telling other posters not to look ahead/overlook the current opponent.
2. Posters bringing up the concept of "karma" in response to other posts. Like any of us really have that much control over the universe because of what we write here.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Nice.

1. Posters telling other posters not to look ahead/overlook the current opponent.
2. Posters bringing up the concept of "karma" in response to other posts. Like any of us really have that much control over the universe because of what we write here.
I agree actually.

I just have amazing sarcasm
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
McMastermind
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

11-5 is a BEST CASE scenario for this team, for the third time. 9-7 does seem more likely to me though.
Yep...I have no idea how people are actually coming up with only 4-5 wins.

I've been saying for months....
2-0 vs. Ohio
4-2 vs. AFCW (split SD, sweep one but not both of KC & Oak)
2-2 vs. NFCE
2-2 vs. NE, Balt, Pitt, Indy.
McMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Nice.

Calm down Skippy. I said "I'm trying to not look past this week." You can look ahead all you want to.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Dallas dominated the game last night. Tony single-handedly cost his team that game. I thought their defense played fairly effectively. They worked hard at shutting down the run and did a good job.

I would agree that we should win at Oakland, for the reasons stated above - Jamarcus, stop the run...

I think, however, I am gonna wait and see how we do against a competent NFL team. And that competent NFL team is going to be Dallas in week 4. That, and we will have a better feel for every other team out there, too. At that point, I will decide whether or not to jump onto the 'we're going above .500 and probably to the playoffs' bandwagon.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Denver ALWAYS loses @ KC, no matter how good the Broncos are and how bad the Chiefs are.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote