The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default What will it take to convince you the 09 Broncos are for real?

OK, theres a lot of people who are ready to throw a parade already but its a long season and its not the first time Denver has started 2-0. They started 2-0 the past two years as well. But thats water under the bridge as we all know. I think most of us are pleasantly surprised with the defense. I still need to see more from them however. We were fortunate to catch Cincinnati when Palmer was likely a little rusty from an injury layoff. And Cleveland has struggled offensively recently. Its only two games and while there has been cause for optimism (esp the defense), theres a lot of season left.

At this point, what do you still need to see from the team (especially the defense) to thing they are legit? Moreover, what specific game or type of game would the team need to do well in to convince you that the 09 Broncos are contenders, even if only for the playoffs?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Borks147
the dude abides...

A .500 record of closely fought games through that killer mid-section of the schedule.

They won't win all those games. I mean, come on. But if they win a few close ones and lose a few close ones against those teams, then yeah, they're for real.

That's fair right?
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

If you have a defense, and a good run game, you can win anywhere at any time. My optimism is higher at this point then it was 3 weeks ago.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Well, after the raiduh game, we'll see how legit this team really is. We have Dallas, NE, SD, Balt., and Pittsburgh. All of these teams have shown they can be beat but that is one brutal stretch. We'll talk then.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Winning the Super Bowl?

Seriously, they have some tough games coming up. They'd better beat the Raiders.
And if they can win against Dallas, New England, San Diego, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh,
they are going to get a lot of notice.
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

4-0, we beat the Cowboys and we'll get respect.
Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
4-0, we beat the Cowboys and we'll get respect.

Broncos get respect? That would be new.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't think this 09 team is for real. It's not a playoff team, even if we backdoor our way in due to the horrible division. I predicted 4-12, and I'm still holding to that.

I think we're getting a good effort from the D, but I don't think it will last all season. Although I think we will be a better defensive team than an offensive team all season.

Orton is not the answer at QB, and although I think the offense will improve, it won't be good until we get a real QB.

There will be games that we need Orton to win for us and not just play not to lose. I don't have confidence in him that he can do that.

I'm not into this whole the NFL is Pop Warner so just give your best effort stuff people like to throw around when they know their team is sub-par but really want to have something to cling too.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
A .500 record of closely fought games through that killer mid-section of the schedule.

They won't win all those games. I mean, come on. But if they win a few close ones and lose a few close ones against those teams, then yeah, they're for real.

That's fair right?

That is fair, and there would be hope for the near future.

McDaniels, and Bowlen for that matter, espoused the 'win now' mantra, but realistically, playing close against good teams and winning a few against the .500+ contenders would go a long way in solidifying the fan base in my opinion. Hell, just slapping around the Raiders and Chiefs would be all kinds of fun and another last-second, heartwrenching Bronco win against San Diego would be an early Christmas for me.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Bronco Yoda

So you're saying we're only going to win 2 more games this season? interesting....
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

To be the best, you have to beat the best. Roughly weeks 4-10 are going to be brutal.

I'd be happy with Denver taking it one game at a time and playing hard each game. As long as they represent the colors well, i'll be happy.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
ChSuperStar
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

between week 4-10 if they come out winning 1/3 rd of the games and fight out the others with close losses ... i would say we have a good team. or at the end of season if we win atleast one more than 6 games... we have a great team to build for the future.
ChSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChSuperStar View Post
between week 4-10 if they come out winning 1/3 rd of the games and fight out the others with close losses ... i would say we have a good team. or at the end of season if we win atleast one more than 6 games... we have a great team to build for the future.
If Denver can beat a couple of the so called heavy weights, you dont think that means theyre legit because it would show that they can beat those kinds of teams even though they may also be exploited against some of them?

Last edited by lex; 09-20-2009 at 11:35 PM..
Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Beat the Cowboys.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

That's an interesting question.

If we're playing .500 football and it's week six, and our first three games are wins, and our last three are losses... That paints a much different picture than if we are at .500, and we win one of the last three (but lose this next week).

Regardless, this AFC West is even worse than it was last year. Anybody who got a chance to watch the Raiders Chiefs comedy show that aired in place of an NFL game got a first hand look at what I'm saying. The Chargers are competitive, but they are also prone to making stupid mistakes.

The AFC West can probably be had with a 9-7 record. Does 9-7 make a team "for real?" I don't know. Ask last year's Cardinals, I guess.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have a weird feeling we'll beat the Steelers. I say that partly out of hope that we'll be more balanced and also because Pittsburghs offensive line isnt as formiddable as it once was. I think a lot of it will hinge on Doom and that this is one game where he can factor in heavily. And since we're a 3-4 team now, it will be more difficult for Pittsburgh to drive the blocking matchups where Doom is concerned. But even at that, I seem to remember him getting to Ben a couple of years ago when Doom had no schematic help whatsoever as that was the first game of the Slowik era.

I also think in the future, Nolan will probably use Smith as a weapon more. You could see a glimpse of his vision in the Cincy game.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

If we're playing .500 football and it's week six, and our first three games are wins, and our last three are losses... That paints a much different picture than if we are at .500, and we win one of the last three (but lose this next week).

Regardless, this AFC West is even worse than it was last year. Anybody who got a chance to watch the Raiders Chiefs comedy show that aired in place of an NFL game got a first hand look at what I'm saying. The Chargers are competitive, but they are also prone to making stupid mistakes.

The AFC West can probably be had with a 9-7 record. Does 9-7 make a team "for real?" I don't know. Ask last year's Cardinals, I guess.
No, really?

Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #18
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

For me its whether or not we can realistically make the playoffs and win a game in the playoffs. It would be huge if they could sweep Oakland and KC. Im not sure it will happen but that would be 4 wins. We already have 2. So that makes 6 wins. 10-6 realsitically gets you into the playoffs. Out of those other 10 games, Denver would have to win 4. It may seem like a big accomplishment but a lot of it hinges on Nolan and the offensive line staying healthy. If you can have a respectable defense, a great offensive line, and good RBs, you have a chance to win games. Like I said earlier, I think Pittsburgh is winnable based on the fact that their offensive line is even worse than it was a couple of years ago and Doom is now an even more substantial weapon out of the 3-4.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #20
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

They have a really good shot at going 3 and 0. I don't want to pencil in a win at Oakland, who look improved, but that is a very winnable game. The schedule gets a whole lot tougher after that. Dallas, New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. If they can get a few wins over that stretch, I'd say that they would be looking better than I thought they would.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 AM   #21
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I want to see proficiency in all three phases for an entire game. Then I want to see them build on that and improve week by week. If they can do that...then they are for real.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #22
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

What will it take to convince you the 09 Broncos are for real?

Solid and consistent QB play. Until I see that, I think they will struggle against stronger competition. Orton isn't turning the ball over (which is a positive), but that isn't going to be enough as the competition gets better.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Only winning can do that. It will take a lot more then 2 games. The Broncos last few yrs always started hot. 3-1, 4-1 etc etc then crumbled.

If they make the playoffs they are for real. If they don't they can still be labeled much improved and give hope for next yr.

Broncos need to get Doom/Kuper resigned for sure.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #24
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

We'll know who we are going into week 6.

We have Oakland, Dallas, New England, and San Diego. If go into our bye week 5-1, even 4-2, i'll start to believe that this team is changed and that McDaniels has actually made huge strides with this team.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
We'll know who we are going into week 6.

We have Oakland, Dallas, New England, and San Diego. If go into our bye week 5-1, even 4-2, i'll start to believe that this team is changed and that McDaniels has actually made huge strides with this team.
if the 2 wins were vs Chargers and Raiders it would be a pretty good start.

Obviously NE and Dal 2 of the best team over recent seasons. Beating either of them would be absolutely huge for Denver.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote