The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default So - I Just Made a Decision...

No - i'm not coming out of the closet.

I just watched the Wednesday interview with Kyle Orton on denverbroncos.com. I have some lingering doubts and concerns about his skill level, but I just want to say...

I fully support Kyle Orton as the QB of the Broncos.

Forget old party pics from college. This guy is a straight up team player. He is smart, he knows "his job," and he understands that this is a team sport, and he's not supposed to be the glory boy. He doesn't pout, he doesn't blame, he expects to get better, he expects to win. He spreads the ball around the field, doesn't pick favorites, and never talks trash.

He may not be fantastic (i'll be the first to admit that), but he is doing a very god job with this team right now. Hopefullly, they allow him to dump the ball short like they did in Chicago last year so we can control the clock and move the ball.

If he can continue to improve his intermediate passes, then I believe we can become a pretty dangerous offense.

I'm not b****ing any more - this is the right kid for this team, and I think he will only get better. Hopefullly Brandstater tries to take the job next year (or we draft another QB), but right now - Orton's a good choice.

Commence your b****ing...

Here's his Wednesday presser:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

I'll take Orton's attitude any day of the week. You notice how he says "WE" left 150-200 yards on the field. Never does he imply that another players was at fault. He is all team and I'm hoping he can succeed. I would love to see him play well enough to turn a few eyes this season. If he doesn't, Chris Simms is a heck of a team guy as well. We'll see how it plays out.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I'll take Orton's attitude any day of the week. You notice how he says "WE" left 150-200 yards on the field. Never does he imply that another players was at fault. He is all team and I'm hoping he can succeed. I would love to see him play well enough to turn a few eyes this season. If he doesn't, Chris Simms is a heck of a team guy as well. We'll see how it plays out.
Agreed - i'm not saying no to Simms, because he seems like he has made strides, but I like Orton's ethic (as long as he continues to make strides in his personal skill level - which is implied in his attitude).
Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
No - i'm not coming out of the closet.

I just watched the Wednesday interview with Kyle Orton on denverbroncos.com. I have some lingering doubts and concerns about his skill level, but I just want to say...

I fully support Kyle Orton as the QB of the Broncos.

Forget old party pics from college. This guy is a straight up team player. He is smart, he knows "his job," and he understands that this is a team sport, and he's not supposed to be the glory boy. He doesn't pout, he doesn't blame, he expects to get better, he expects to win. He spreads the ball around the field, doesn't pick favorites, and never talks trash.

He may not be fantastic (i'll be the first to admit that), but he is doing a very god job with this team right now. Hopefullly, they allow him to dump the ball short like they did in Chicago last year so we can control the clock and move the ball.

If he can continue to improve his intermediate passes, then I believe we can become a pretty dangerous offense.

I'm not b****ing any more - this is the right kid for this team, and I think he will only get better. Hopefullly Brandstater tries to take the job next year (or we draft another QB), but right now - Orton's a good choice.

Commence your b****ing...

Here's his Wednesday presser:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

One of the biggest issues with "the fan base" is that we have 20% who are upset about the fumigation of Jay, 20% who are moaning about the "loss" of the former "Mastermind", 20% who are McD haters, 20% who hate Kyle (because of Jays pink slip) and 20% who are willing to see what the new season and revamped team will bring to the table.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
One of the biggest issues with "the fan base" is that we have 20% who are upset about the fumigation of Jay, 20% who are moaning about the "loss" of the former "Mastermind", 20% who are McD haters, 20% who hate Kyle (because of Jays pink slip) and 20% who are willing to see what the new season and revamped team will bring to the table.
OK, I did that math, and that adds up to 100%.

Expound a little - are you saying you are part of the last 20% of hopeful fans?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Since when did this sport become so feminine? Since when did personality matter so much for guys that are paid to run full speed at each other and cause giant collisions? Sorry, I will take skill any day of the week over the social club bronco fans now want to start. Seriously, you have no chance of scoring a date with these guys so give it a rest. Since when was the nice guy the best for a physical sport anyways? Since when was a dumb athlete supposed to also be smart, mature, and social? I don't understand.....

Mcd needs to lose the ego and get a real QB in there. We have so much young offensive talent going to waste right now.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Meck77

I think as the season goes on Jay fans will realize what we've been trying to tell them for years. He's a strong armed QB with average decision making ability coupled with a really bad attitude/leadership skills. That equals loser as his career has always proven.

Orton certainly needs some work but we have to give the guy some time to learn this offense along with the rest of the TEAM. Whoops I used that team word. I've been posting here for almost a decade now and it still amazes me that some football fans can't grasp the win as a team or lose as a team concept. The key is to have a QB that the team rallys around and guess what. Jake Plummer was that guy. Maybe Orton can be. Remember Orton was only a small part of that trade for Cutler so it's yet to be seen how that trade truly pans out.

Patience......You people need to have patience and see how all this plays out.

Oh and Cmhargrove.....Welcome to positive side my brother. Enjoy the season.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Since when did this sport become so feminine? Since when did personality matter so much for guys that are paid to run full speed at each other and cause giant collisions? Sorry, I will take skill any day of the week over the social club bronco fans now want to start. Seriously, you have no chance of scoring a date with these guys so give it a rest. Since when was the nice guy the best for a physical sport anyways? Since when was a dumb athlete supposed to also be smart, mature, and social? I don't understand.....

Mcd needs to lose the ego and get a real QB in there. We have so much young offensive talent going to waste right now.
Yeah things like leadership and humility totally don't matter in a team sport like football.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I think as the season goes on Jay fans will realize what we've been trying to tell them for years. He's a strong armed QB with average decision making ability coupled with a really bad attitude/leadership skills. That equals loser as his career has always proven.

Orton certainly needs some work but we have to give the guy some time to learn this offense along with the rest of the TEAM. Whoops I used that team word. I've been posting here for almost a decade now and it still amazes me that some football fans can't grasp the win as a team or lose as a team concept. The key is to have a QB that the team rallys around and guess what. Jake Plummer was that guy. Maybe Orton can be. Remember Orton was only a small part of that trade for Cutler so it's yet to be seen how that trade truly pans out.

Patience......You people need to have patience and see how all this plays out.

Oh and Cmhargrove.....Welcome to positive side my brother. Enjoy the season.
i look at situations like chicago, and cutler has a TON of excuses set up, i hear them every single day at school and from people around me. but orton won 9 games there last year with a worse oline and less depth at receiver. why does cutler get such a pass but not orton? throw me on the bus of not impressed YET but im willing to give the guy time. but i do think brandstater looks good playing...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Yeah things like leadership and humility totally don't matter in a team sport like football.
The ignore feature doesn't work when "you guys" quote "Mr. Know it all".
Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:

Wow thats a pretty weird read on it.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Our SB teams that also set a record for most wins in a 3 season span were filled with immature clowns. Don't kid yourself. Good play is real leadership, not acting nice or taking blame. You all need to join some organized sports.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Nice Post!!! I think most people on this board all have a little bit of the 20% of each of those categories. Well maybe except Lex who is always hoping for the worst so he can be proved correct.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i look at situations like chicago, and cutler has a TON of excuses set up, i hear them every single day at school and from people around me. but orton won 9 games there last year with a worse oline and less depth at receiver. why does cutler get such a pass but not orton? throw me on the bus of not impressed YET but im willing to give the guy time. but i do think brandstater looks good playing...
Cutler gets a pass because of the "man-love" thingy some of the guys (I use that term very lightly)have for him.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:

On this website, I'd say that sounds right. Maybe more, but I'd go with TGN's math.

Quote:

It's not about personality, it's about CHARISMA. Anyone who's played football (or any sport) could remember "that guy" who would lead the team and inspire team-mates to willingly sacrifice themselves for the team.
In an 11 man sport, skill is worth much LESS than leadership.
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #16
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:

The teams that win the Superbowl are often not the most "talented" teams.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The teams that win the Superbowl are often not the most "talented" teams.
Really? Which one got a SB with a "leader" that wasn't good. Guys can be loved and great "leaders" in every sense you guys are trying to make up. You lead by play, period. If orton continues to suck, no one is giving extra to help him. No leader is taken seriously if they don't perform. Ask any football player. Talk means nothing on the field.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Really? Which one got a SB with a "leader" that wasn't good. Guys can be loved and great "leaders" in every sense you guys are trying to make up. You lead by play, period. If orton continues to suck, no one is giving extra to help him. No leader is taken seriously if they don't perform. Ask any football player. Talk means nothing on the field.
Take notice. The players are behind Orton.

After seeing your post on the other forum about how McDaniels thinks Orton and Cassel are better than Cutler you've clearly lost what little credibility you had.

What was the trade for again? 2 firsts, 1 3rd, Orton for Cutler and a 5th. What part of that trade makes you draw your conclusion?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #19
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Don't worry guys. I won't quote jhns any more. Sorry for even responding to him cmhargrove. Yet another thread derailed by jhns.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
On this website, I'd say that sounds right. Maybe more, but I'd go with TGN's math.

It's not about personality, it's about CHARISMA. Anyone who's played football (or any sport) could remember "that guy" who would lead the team and inspire team-mates to willingly sacrifice themselves for the team.
In an 11 man sport, skill is worth much LESS than leadership.
No one rallies behind bad players. That guy is good or people don't care, period. Skill is not worth less. Look at what your version of leadership got us. A far worse looking offense. We gave up sacks and didn't move the ball at all on our own. Yeah, much better to have a mature guy than a skilled one.......
Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Yet another post pinning the lack of yardage squarely on the QB. Bravo. Bravo.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #22
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So you would have no problem in adding Terrell Owens, Jeff George, Maurice Claurett, Chris Henry, Pac-Man Jones, and Tank Johnson to your team.

This is not tennis or golf. This is a TEAM SPORT. And in team sports, chemistry matters; thats why players talk about chemistry so damn much. Don't you understand?

In all aspects of life, no one wants to work with douches, much less play sports with them. Its really a simple concept.

You have never played a team sport, and if you did, I guarantee you were not successful at it.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #23
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:

If you have to ask, you haven't paid attention.

Yes, I am part of the positive group.
Shanahan was getting "too predictable"
Jay just doesn't make the right decisions, is a whiner, and an interception factory.
McD is a young mind, perfect for a new start
Orton isn't a Superhuman, but a good game mgr and team oriented QB who just like Jake can get the job done. (The day Shanahan replaced Jake with the WonderChild, was the day I knew Shanahan lost his f-ing mind, and gave up on the team).

Yes, I'll take the likes of Orton ANY DAY over an OVERATED DRAMA QUEEN.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yet another post pinning the lack of yardage squarely on the QB. Bravo. Bravo.
Nothing else changed in the offense other than the QB and coach. Well, the RB changed but for the better. Can you tell me why we were far worse playing th bengals than we were last year against some of the top defenses? Was it everyone elses fault? Orton is a good guy so he can do no wrong?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #25
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
So you would have no problem in adding Terrell Owens, Jeff George, Maurice Claurett, Chris Henry, Pac-Man Jones, and Tank Johnson to your team.

This is not tennis or golf. This is a TEAM SPORT. And in team sports, chemistry matters; thats why players talk about chemistry so damn much. Don't you understand?

In all aspects of life, no one wants to work with douches, much less play sports with them. Its really a simple concept.

You have never played a team sport, and if you did, I guarantee you were not successful at it.
I wouldn't take those guys because they have off the field issues and the commish now punishes that. There is a big difference. A lot of who you named are just bad players anyways. The only valid one you gave is TO and he actually fights with teammates and cries for the ball. Maybe you have soime examples of people like cutler doing this?

Also, jay had the support of the team unlike the TOs. Players played for jay because jay would give way more than orton. The guy hasn't even had an offseason yet. He would also run down the field throwing blocks. Just because a player is immature doesn't mean they aren't a team player and it doesn't mean they aren't respected in the locker room. You all just want to make this into a social club.

Again, look at our SBs. We had pleanty of immature players. You don't even know what being a teammate is and it shows. I have played many sports and was not good or I would still be playing. That isn't hard to figure out.

Last edited by jhns; 09-18-2009 at 08:12 AM..