The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: When do you start to complain about our offense if still struggling?
Hell, Ive been biatching about it since preseason 9 12.50%
Right after the victory against the Bengals 4 5.56%
Week 2 vs Browns 8 11.11%
Week 3 11 15.28%
Week 4 22 30.56%
Week 5 9 12.50%
End of Season 8 11.11%
I will always complain even if we do well on Offense (mock, vote here) 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default When do you panic if our offense struggles?

Poll coming and it will be public so no back tracking your opinion! First, I am pro Broncos Organization so this isnt some Lex thread. It has been a few days now since our win vs Bengals but we have known since preseason that our offense wont be explosive and possibly a very vanilla offense. Some say horrible. When do we complain outloud and/or panic. There could be suggestions of player changes and there is always the sky has already fallen crowd (MOCK!). You decide.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

if we're still struggling after playing the browns and the raiders it will be a long year
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
When do we complain outloud and/or panic. There could be suggestions of player changes and there is always the sky has already fallen crowd (MOCK!). You decide.
I'm taking "end of the season" because you never know when the light may go on over some player's head. That moment when it all starts to slow down and make sense... I'm hoping it comes sooner than later for Kyle.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Take the panic crowd to the Knights Inn to relax.
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i will be concerned after week 5. last week was the first time we have had our full offense on the field, and we were missing a major piece to our line with Kuper being out. Marshall is not anywhere near in game shape, Moreno is still working his way into the system and being on the field again, and even though Orton looked ok with the glove, it is still a hindrance that until it is off we won't see our offense at full power.
give it a couple weeks, we'll get it into gear.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipso View Post
Take the panic crowd to the Knights Inn to relax.
lol! I only know one Maner that stays there and I think he is opting for VQ this weekend. Front desk will probably put them right next to me (no it isnt Hogan and Sassy).
As for my opinion, I am waiting until week 4. I think coach should know who he wants to be in the backfield and I figure 4 full games at QB should give Orton and McDaniels enough time to know what they can and cant do on the field.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

We're already struggling...
Orton is a joke
He needs to be benched. No way our offense will be productive with that idiot at QB...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I assume Week 4 is leading up to Dallas.

If we are not on target after THE BROWNS and THE RAIDERS... then ****.

That said, I'm already worrying... it's just not a full blown panic yet.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I guess it depends on your expectations. This isn't a playoff team, not even close. I just want to see constant improvement. I want to see the young guys grow and evolve. As long as we're better at the end of the season than when we started it.. I'll be thrilled.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

First year in a new system. I expect them to look good one week, then look pretty average the next. If we are still going three and out on 8 straight drives at the beginning of next season, then freak out.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

For my part, I start to seriously monitor the team in November for signs of cohesion, heads-up play, opportunity taking, and etc. I take losses in November hard. September and October, not so much - except if we're losing to a division rival at home. But the way I look at Sept. and Oct. is like you would look at the first leg of a triathalon. If we get behind, no big deal, we can make it up in the next leg. If we can split through September and October, we've got a shot at going all the way, provided the team builds off that .500 platform by adding an extra game each month.

4-4 is not a bad place to be, just so long as it turns into 5-4. I panic at 4-5. You give up a lot of leverage at 4-5. It's not an impossible situation, but the ship most definitely needs to be righted. The game played the week after you've reached 4-5 is essentially a playoff game. You're entire season is a wing and a prayer if you lose that game. The coaches are unhappy. The locker room is unhappy. The fans are unhappy. And the media has a feeding frenzy questioning everything from the coach to the carpet layer. If the team at that point can catch the "it's us against the world" spark and show some life, then I get optimistic again.

Of course, it's a sliding scale. But I really don't panic until the 4-5 point, unless at some point it looks doubtful that we can even reach 4-4.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #12
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I don't think it's a question of "IF" they'll struggle...
They should just put in Brandstater.
At least it'll be a rookie looking like a rookie, not a veteran looking like a rookie.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Had to take end of season due to the limited options. I'll go on record for 8 weeks. If for some reason we are struggling at that point I'll be concerned. I'm not looking for our team to put up huge numbers but I don't want to see them wear out our D which has shown vast improvements.(they actually know how to tackle, and bring some pressure this year) I prefer a balanced team that holds the opponent to a reasonable amount of points and for our offense to control the clock, limit turnovers and put a decent amount of points on the board.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Seriously - i'm not panicking at all with this group.

Like mentioned before, we might end up good enough to make the playoffs if the Chargers tank again, but most likely we will miss thhe playoffs with even a 9-7 record (if the Chargers do well).

I'm just enjoying the ride. Last week was really fun. Do that again.

I like having a defense again. Once we start running the ball a little more consistently, I think our offense will look much better. Orton was very average (even subpar), but I think he will get better. At least he didn't turn the ball over, which was huge. However, if we can't get the ball rolling woith all this talent, I will start to be concerned around week 5.

That Patriots game was humiliating last year. If McD can't figure out his old team (potentially without Mayo), i'll get a little worried. But hey - i'll start cheering for the defense.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
We're already struggling...
Orton is a joke
He needs to be benched. No way our offense will be productive with that idiot at QB...
Orton is definitely the Great Pretender! Kyle is playing just well enough for a backup QB job after this season. He's not concerned about winning--so much as he's concerned about signing a new deal after his 995K salary ends after this season.

He's probably looking at signing with another team as their backup for around 2.5 million a year. Think about it....all he needs to do is show he has a pulse, not force any passes, and regardless how much he sucks in 09, some team will still pick him for 2.0 mil a season while riding the pine.

Not a bad gig! Where else can Kyle make that type of dough as a civilian!!! Hell maybe McD will resign Kyle as his backup.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #16
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

I don't think many people 'honestly' thought our offense wouldn't have struggles. The only question was whether they would temporary or permanent (until we find a better solution at QB).

Hopefully, Orton gets to the point where he is running the system well, but that still remains to be seen.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

We have no QB. This is not a surprise.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I guess it depends on your expectations. This isn't a playoff team, not even close. I just want to see constant improvement. I want to see the young guys grow and evolve. As long as we're better at the end of the season than when we started it.. I'll be thrilled.
I think you've lowered expectations here. With the exception of Cutler and Shanny gone from the offense, there is still enough talent on the offense to make some noise. The online is intact, the RB's are healthy, and all the WR's are back. You take into consideration that Nolan has the Defense playing much better already. So it seems like weakest Link right now is at the QB position and the uncertainty of whether Orton can prove he's the answer to move the offense.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Thanks for your insightful post Mr. "I HAVE A BEEF" with the Broncos.

I guess you also think Jay's performance last week was that of a NFL caliber QB.
A 40 something rating is AWESOME.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #20
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Thanks for your insightful post Mr. "I HAVE A BEEF" with the Broncos.

I guess you also think Jay's performance last week was that of a NFL caliber QB.
A 40 something rating is AWESOME.
Nope! Jake had a horrible game just like Orton had a horrible game. Now I do think Orton went to midnight mass to thank the gods for allowing his "Close-Your-Eyes" Hail Mary pass to come to fruition. Perhaps Cutler needs to return to the church as well for some guidance on making better decisions and taking care of the ball. But other than that, I still believe Cutler will have a better season than Orton will.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #21
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
I think you've lowered expectations here. With the exception of Cutler and Shanny gone from the offense, there is still enough talent on the offense to make some noise. The online is intact, the RB's are healthy, and all the WR's are back. You take into consideration that Nolan has the Defense playing much better already. So it seems like weakest Link right now is at the QB position and the uncertainty of whether Orton can prove he's the answer to move the offense.
WR- one isn't back yet, he's questionable (mental health and physical determination).
RB's- Is Moreno 100%, if yes he hasn't shown much to date. Time to unleash "the beast".
QB-I'd like to see you throw the rock with the type of injury Kyle has on his index finger. I was surprised he could put a spiral on the ball with a ****ed up index finger. (kinda like bowling without a thumb).

Lowered expectations? Yes, a bit on the offense. I don't expect the sheer yardage of last year, but at the same time I expect a better point to yds ratio.
I also expect to see a vast improvement on D and ST.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #22
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
We have no QB. This is not a surprise.
I agree, the QB position is our weakest link right now.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #23
backup qb
Ring of Famer

If we struggle this week, I will be truly worried.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #24
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

I would like to see that the offense can put an entire game together by week 4-5. That means Orton playing well, the receivers not dropping passes, the running game getting on track and no crucial penalties when they are trying to salt a game away. If the offense is still putting up 6 points in the first 58 minutes of the game I'll be a bit concerned. I don't see this as a playoff team but I'd like to say we are a little better than John Clayton and the ESPiN idiots think. If we can't put together a decent game on the offensive side of the ball in the first quarter of the season it's time to wonder if those idiots are right.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #25
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
I still believe Cutler will have a better season than Orton will.
Better season? as in?

More yds? Most likely.
More points? likely.
More Interception? No f-in doubt
Better team record? toss up.
More blaming his team for his screw ups? No f-in doubt.