The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default Orton: We left 150-200 yards on field

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13349259

Glove or no glove, miracle ending or no miracle ending, Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton expects a better offensive performance Sunday against the visiting Cleveland Browns.

In making his franchise debut in the season opener at Cincinnati, Orton completed 17-of-28 passes for 243 yards. The team finished with 302 total yards, but 87 of that came on Orton's final snap from center a fluke, game-winning touchdown reception by receiver Brandon Stokely.

"I think we easily left 150-200 yards of offense on the field," Orton said today in his weekly news conference. "Certainly, you can't make a habit of that. But it was the first week, saw some different things, (but if) we make some corrections we'll be ready to go (Sunday)."

Orton continues to practice with the glove on his throwing hand. The glove helps protect the stitched wound on his index finger, caused by a dislocated knuckle on Aug. 30.

"We'll have to go through practice week to see how it goes," Orton said of the glove. "I played with it last week, so if I have to (wear it again), it shouldn't be that big of a deal anyways."

Asked if there are any positives to wearing the glove, he said: "Not really. It's just not what I've done for my entire life. So I'd rather play without it."

Orton said his main focus against Cleveland is winning time of possession and avoid facing second-and-long situations. The Bengals controlled the ball for nearly 7 minutes longer than the Broncos, and Denver rarely gained decent yardage on first down.

"In the NFL if you give the other team more possessions than you, it's tough to win," he said. "It's a fact It certainly has to be a priority."

He added: "Everybody hopes we make a lot of progress this week, get better. I think we're in the same boat as every team in the league, and that's a race, this week, to see who can make the most improvement."

Mike Chambers: 303-954-1357 or mchambers@denverpost.com
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

I hope he is right...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

it was like our first time getting our whole offense together
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Orton said his main focus against Cleveland is winning time of possession and avoid facing second-and-long situations. The Bengals controlled the ball for nearly 7 minutes longer than the Broncos, and Denver rarely gained decent yardage on first down.
All laudable goals, but not committing turnovers has got to be at the top of the list.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Why can't he just wear a finger rubber? Those who have worked in a kitchen will know what I am talking about. It's just like it sounds and you wear it when you need to cover a finger wound.

Seems like it would just be less of an impact than the Michael Jackson glove.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
All laudable goals, but not committing turnovers has got to be at the top of the list.
Well considering they didn't have a turnover in teh Cincy game you can't really improve on that.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Well considering they didn't have a turnover in teh Cincy game you can't really improve on that.
kinda' what I was thinking too
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock chalk View Post
well considering they didn't have a turnover in teh cincy game you can't really improve on that.
+1
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post

"In the NFL if you give the other team more possessions than you, it's tough to win," he said. "It's a fact It certainly has to be a priority."

He added: "Everybody hopes we make a lot of progress this week, get better. I think we're in the same boat as every team in the league, and that's a race, this week, to see who can make the most improvement."

I agree with this. SoCal was right, the D needed at least one long sustained drive in the 1st half in order to finish strong.

I think the Browns have enough of their own troubles, Broncos should win this easier.

I would like to save the luck for later in the year, last year we caught a couple breaks in the SD game only to not find one the last quarter of the year.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
it was like our first time getting our whole offense together
wasn't it though?
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

I think he should use WE less and I more.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos0707 View Post
Umm...let's examine that:

Quote:
"I think we easily left 150-200 yards of offense on the field," Orton said today in his weekly news conference. "Certainly, you can't make a habit of that. But it was the first week, saw some different things, (but if) we make some corrections we'll be ready to go (Sunday)."
He used we twice here, speaking about the entire offense. Fairly accurate as the offensive line looked rusty, the QB looked rusty, and the WRs looked rusty and the RBs outside of Buck didn't perform well. We is fine in this sense.

Quote:
"We'll have to go through practice week to see how it goes," Orton said of the glove. "I played with it last week, so if I have to (wear it again), it shouldn't be that big of a deal anyways."
IN this case, he could ahve said "I'll have to go through practice..." instead of "We'll" but he will be going through practice with his teammates and getting into a groove with his teammates so, either is fine here.

Quote:
"Everybody hopes we make a lot of progress this week, get better. I think we're in the same boat as every team in the league, and that's a race, this week, to see who can make the most improvement."
Here he uses the possessive we twice, speaking about first the offense, then the entire team.

No, I think he used "we" in the correct sense in every sentence. He wasn't the only one stinking it up offensively.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos0707 View Post
Really? Was he dropping his own passes? Looked to me like other people were.

Then again, he only had a 100 QB rating. I can see how you'd come up with that.

Everyone could improve, offensively. He's right. Dropped passes killed us. The running game struggled. Penalties killed us.

But, some people don't have the capacity to see beyond the quarterback position.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I wonder if Orton likes pea's over corn and what kind of candy he is giving out at Halloween.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Orton also said he estimates he left at least 3 interceptions out there on the field.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post

Glove or no glove, miracle ending or no miracle ending, Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton expects a better offensive performance Sunday against the visiting Cleveland Browns.

In making his franchise debut in the season opener at Cincinnati, Orton completed 17-of-28 passes for 243 yards. The team finished with 302 total yards, but 87 of that came on Orton's final snap from center a fluke, game-winning touchdown reception by receiver Brandon Stokely.

Orton continues to practice with the glove on his throwing hand. The glove helps protect the stitched wound on his index finger, caused by a dislocated knuckle on Aug. 30.

Asked if there are any positives to wearing the glove, he said: "Not really. It's just not what I've done for my entire life. So I'd rather play without it."

I don't quite know how these things work, but can we bank those yards for another game, then withdraw them?

I'm looking at the schedule and somewhere between the Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots we could really use those 200 yards...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

everything else aside- that dude needs a freaking HAIRCUT.

good lord.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elway View Post
Orton also said he estimates he left at least 3 interceptions out there on the field.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I don't quite know how these things work, but can we bank those yards for another game, then withdraw them?

I'm looking at the schedule and somewhere between the Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots we could really use those 200 yards...
chargers defense looked weak again. same with patriots. lets put 100 to ravens and 100 to steelers.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
A 25 % 3rd down conversion rate is awful and led to Cincy having too many possessions and a 7 minute advantage in T.O.P.--his 3rd down sack late in the 4th might as well have been a TO....and McD knew it and proceeded to rip him a new one.......I hope that Orton can provide the direction that our offense needs this Sunday--so far in both the pre-season and thru 1 regular season game--he has looked no better than a backup QB........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #21
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

What he said was very similar to how I felt about the game. I think they left points as well as yards on the table though. It also would have been nice if he had made a comment about how well the D played.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #22
Sodak
Clueless...

Who stole my avatar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I wonder if Orton likes pea's over corn and what kind of candy he is giving out at Halloween.
He should give out candy corn or those pink/orange circus peanuts...

Kids LOVE that ****.
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Yup. Thats was such a problem last week for us.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
A 25 % 3rd down conversion rate is awful and led to Cincy having too many possessions and a 7 minute advantage in T.O.P.--his 3rd down sack late in the 4th might as well have been a TO....and McD knew it and proceeded to rip him a new one.......I hope that Orton can provide the direction that our offense needs this Sunday--so far in both the pre-season and thru 1 regular season game--he has looked no better than a backup QB........
Yes and 75% of those failed 3rd conversions are on the receivers and then penalties on teh O-line.

But never mind the facts. Don't let those get in the way of your Bronco bashing.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #25
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

I wonder what a real football team like the Steelers or Cowboys will do to Ortie boy and the Broncos.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote