The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Three sacks from three different guys...a credit to Nolan?...a reason for optimism?

Is anyone else guardedly optimistic about the fact that we had 3 sacks coming from 3 different players, with none of them being Doom?

One of my gripes about Slowik is that I dont think he was very good at scheming pressure. I dont know why. Maybe it was not knowing his players or maybe it was not understanding the interplay in blocking and what one does on defense. Either way, it seems like Nolan is far more capable at scheming pressure. Time will tell though.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I wish one of those would have come on that last drive!!! But yes, reason for optimisim.
Broncoman13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm definitely more optimistic than last year, but it's still early. I really wish Doom had stepped it up and gotten some pressure.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOSKIE!!! View Post
I wish one of those would have come on that last drive!!! But yes, reason for optimisim.
Lets not focus on the fact that he didnt get a sack on the last drive but rather the fact that he can scheme pressure. Being too passive by choice is a better problem than being passive because of incompetence.

BTW, even when Palmer did get some passes off, he had guys around him. When Nolan decided to bring heat (around the 2nd qtr I think), Palmer started looking A LOT less comfortable.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure if Killericon apologized for our co-Adopt a bronco for that one, but that was our bad, he stopped blitzing for some reason.

Also I'm going to eat a private plate of crow for Darrell Reid already contributing more than I thought he would.

But I'm going to enjoy a plate of the opposite of crow (pheasant?) for Andra Davis being a hero!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Doom got pressure several times forcing bad throws. Solwik couldn't scheme pressure, secondary, or LB play.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
I'm definitely more optimistic than last year, but it's still early. I really wish Doom had stepped it up and gotten some pressure.
Did anyone notice they hardly ever rushed him from Palmer's blindside? Seemed like after the first few downs he was always coming from the other side. Maybe Whitworth was better than i expected.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I am glad that we didnt just sit there like last year only rushing four guys in vain. We are not one of those lucky teams that can pressure with just the down lineman, we gotta bring pressure using creative blitzes from the linebackers. For the life of me I just don't get why Slowick couldn't understand this.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

The defense played beyond my expectations.
I noticed more gaming between the DL and LB's than I've seen in a long time.
It looks like extra rushers could come from anywhere, and they can actually make a tackle.
Now if the offense can do its part and not leave the D on the field for so long next time.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Did anyone notice they hardly ever rushed him from Palmer's blindside? Seemed like after the first few downs he was always coming from the other side. Maybe Whitworth was better than i expected.
Cincinnatis OLine isnt exactly on par with Denvers. Maybe they thought other parts of their line were more suspect and so they targeted those guys. It could be more about other guys beinga weak link more than its abouth Whitworth, although it would seem like he is their best OLineman.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

We did repeatedly what Slowik would only do once or twice a game - actually blitz the QB. We had more in one quarter than Slowik would do for an entire game. Bliztes are great things: they stop drives, and kill runs, too. You can get burned with them, but you know, it's worth it, imo. It was all the difference in the world today.

I can't remember the last time we stopped that many runners for a loss, and even a few passes. It was great to watch.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
TheDave
Sauced...

Nolan did a fantastic job of mixing things up and bringing pressure from all different angles. Lets see what happens when teams get a couple games worth of tape on us.

But, so far so good.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I thought Doom was going to eat up Whit, but he played very well for a RT converted into a LT.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

The beauty of the 3-4... 4th rusher can come from anywhere and you still have coverage options!

The run D did outstanding as well, especially when you consider we did it with 7 and didn't have to put an extra guy in the box. Benson and the Bengals running game is probably near the top 10-12 in the league... good test for our run D.

The Bengals offense is potent, a lot of reason for optimism after that effort. We were helped greatly by dropped passes, but there is a lot of reason to be happy too.
Broncoman13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
I am glad that we didnt just sit there like last year only rushing four guys in vain. We are not one of those lucky teams that can pressure with just the down lineman, we gotta bring pressure using creative blitzes from the linebackers. For the life of me I just don't get why Slowick couldn't understand this.
It had A LOT more to do with him not wanting to leave his backup quality safeties and CBs (after Champ went down) exposed in coverage last year than him not understanding it. He didn't have the talent on that side of the ball to play that way.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post

Well, last year it came out that the lack of pressure was a result of having bad safeties. There was a thread about how the 10 yard cushions were compensating for bad safety play. The result of the 10 yard cushions was that they undermined a pass rush. So the safety play had a downstream effect that resulted in less of a pass rush...according to this theory that was discussed. I dont agree with this ( I always refer to the Capt. Lindermann quote) but addressing the safety position this past offseason might be what has allowed Nolan to attack more.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
The run D did outstanding as well, especially when you consider we did it with 7 and didn't have to put an extra guy in the box. Benson and the Bengals running game is probably near the top 10-12 in the league... good test for our run D.
Good call.
Outside of that one run by Benson, the Bengals did little on the ground.
DJ should've blown that play up after 3 yards though.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
It had A LOT more to do with him not wanting to leave his backup quality safeties and CBs (after Champ went down) exposed in coverage last year than him not understanding it. He didn't have the talent on that side of the ball to play that way.
Yeah, but his approach to hide his safeties perpetuated the problem because it undermined his pass rush.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Yeah, but his approach to hide his safeties perpetuated the problem because it undermined his pass rush.
Agreed. But what can't be stressed enough IMO is that the defense of the 1st half last season, before Champ went down, was MILES better than the 2nd half of the year defense when he wasn't out there (or when he was, wasn't anywhere near 100%). Let's not be so quick to forget.....the defense in the first Oakland game and the Tampa Bay game last year was every bit as good as the defense we saw yesterday. And Slowik was the DC for those games the last time I checked.

The Champ injury REALLY hurt any chance they had at being average IMO.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
We did repeatedly what Slowik would only do once or twice a game - actually blitz the QB. We had more in one quarter than Slowik would do for an entire game. Bliztes are great things: they stop drives, and kill runs, too. You can get burned with them, but you know, it's worth it, imo. It was all the difference in the world today.

I can't remember the last time we stopped that many runners for a loss, and even a few passes. It was great to watch.
That's the rub right there. Slowik was playing not to lose, while Nolan knows that creative blitzing is an educated gamble that usually pays off.

The only thing we gotta shore up is more press coverage. I think once we establish that we can consistently get to the quarterback this year, I think Nolan will move away from the zone they are currently employing into more bump and run, which will create more turnovers.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Agreed. But what can't be stressed enough IMO is that the defense of the 1st half last season, before Champ went down, was MILES better than the 2nd half of the year defense when he wasn't out there (or when he was, wasn't anywhere near 100%). Let's not be so quick to forget.....the defense in the first Oakland game and the Tampa Bay game last year was every bit as good as the defense we saw yesterday. And Slowik was the DC for those games the last time I checked.

I dont know about that. We jumped out to 21-0 leads against both San Diego and New Orleans only to barely hang on.

Also, during the time that Hillis played significant minutes, I think the defense was better. I think they gave up 23 pts a game vs. 28, which was their season average I think. Im not saying the defense was better without Champ as much as Im saying it was better with a running game and with Larsen and not Webster.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #22
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I actually feel better about drafting defense now since I feel its less likely to be wasted. I still think trading the 1st next year for Smith was a bad move but is off to a good start. I think Smith is another guy who was more utilized by Nolan when it was live bullets. He seemed to be more active and involved whether as a result of scheme. I think Nolan speeding up Palmers clock helped Smith make plays as it accelerated Palmers checkdown faster. I think this is something that wasnt seen in the preseason.

Last edited by lex; 09-14-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I dont know about that. We jumped out to 21-0 leads against both San Diego and New Orleans only to barely hang on.
Those were also two HISTORICALLY good offenses.

Quote:
Im not saying the defense was better without Champ as much as Im saying it was better with a running game and with Larsen and not Webster.
Can't argue with that.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Quote:

Not true. Last years defense was epically bad all yar and no game from last year will compare to Sunday Sep 13, 2009. Are you a slovik fan or something?
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Zero points allowed over 58 minutes on the road. There isn't a team in any league that wins less than 95% of the time with that kind of performance. It was a spectacular performance... especially given the fact that it is the first game with a new regime and a roster in transition.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote