The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default DEFENSE and SPECIAL TEAMS.

Props to both.

One game, and we see the massive difference it makes.

Congrats to the front seven, and the stand-out player today... Alphonso Smith!

7 points, folks.

Can you remember the last time we held a team to 7 points? And we did it with a poor offensive output, to boot.

This is a great sign. The offense is going to come along. It needs time to develop, but the defense/ST's coming out of the gate with a performance this solid is a great thing.

We'll struggle against better offenses, I'm sure... but what a great start and a nice way to build confidence.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I agree that the defense looks quite improved under Nolan. ST was solid for the most part except for the Kern shank. McD's offense looks like ****, though. Thankfully, they have Cleveland next week and we should be able to do some good things against them.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

That was a 91-yard TD drive they gave up in clutch time ....

Are you guys high? 91 freaking YARDS!

Get realistic here, we gave up a TON of yards today. And no Alec, their drops hurt them just as much or more.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post

Get realistic here, we gave up a TON of yards today. And no Alec, their drops hurt them just as much or more.
They gave up some yards in the first half, but tightened up in the second. I think they only gave up a hair over 300 on the whole, which is not bad at all. The offense put them in bad spots and McD made it tougher for Nolan to do his job, but they overcame the offense's ****ups. Anytime you hold someone to 7, that's a great job. They were eventually going to score anyway...whether they did it on the last drive or the fourth drive, it doesn't matter.

Go Canes!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
They gave up some yards in the first half, but tightened up in the second. I think they only gave up a hair over 300 on the whole, which is not bad at all. The offense put them in bad spots and McD made it tougher for Nolan to do his job, but they overcame the offense's ****ups. Anytime you hold someone to 7, that's a great job. They were eventually going to score anyway...whether they did it on the last drive or the fourth drive, it doesn't matter.
That's the point.

They gave up 7 points for the friggin' game.

We won.

When your defense holds teams to 7 points, you usually find a way to win. That's why we've been talking about improving this defense for so long.

Fluke or not, when your defense keeps scoring that low... good things usually happen... and they did.

Great day, and a proud day for the D/ST's.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Oh, and by the way.... it's only 1 week, but if Smith plays like this going forward, the trade was an absolute success.

We'll see, but this is exactly the kind of production you want from a high pick. He made key plays today... in his first game as a rookie.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I don't care if the defense gives up 500 yards of offense. If they only give up 7 pts, I won't bad mouth them.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I don't care if the defense gives up 500 yards of offense. If they only give up 7 pts, I won't bad mouth them.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
But they didn't hold to seven...

They had a shank and a poor snap... Denver did nothing to cause either.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

.... and our defense had nothing to do with two drive-killing holding calls on our O-line, either.

At the end of the day, we gave up 7 points.

None in the first half.

All with a very poor offensive output and many 3 and outs.

Good lord, can you imagine last year's defense today? We would have given up 70.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Denver's defense played quite a bit better than I thought they would. I think Cinci is going to have a good offense this year, and they just weren't in sych... but part of that is Denver stepping up and making plays. Except for one time, they couldn't run on us for ****.

There were some holes in the secondary that Denver needs to patch up... but honestly after last year knowing every time the other team's offense has the ball they are going to score this is a welcome freaking relief. I would rather have an offense that has ups and downs with a solid defense than an absolute sieve of a defense.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
.... and our defense had nothing to do with two drive-killing holding calls on our O-line, either.

At the end of the day, we gave up 7 points.

None in the first half.

All with a very poor offensive output and many 3 and outs.

Good lord, can you imagine last year's defense today? We would have given up 70.
This is ridiculous.

I do feel Cincinnati is going to be a very good football team, and with 30 secs to go, was ready to come home and start a "Everyone calm down, Cinci will be a good team" thread.

But this much optimism over the win is absurd

They beat themselves on two kicks and STILL were in position to win until a ball so terribly thrown by Orton the defender TIPPED it TO Stokely who ran it EIGHTY SEVEN ****ING YARDS for the winning score.

Let's celebrate the win all day, but ****ing perspective guys.... seriously.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Just imagine... if we had a real quarterback... hell, even a mediocre quarterback, we win by double digits on the road. If you can't see that McD is married to Orton after this performance, you never will...
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Carson Palmer ain't exactly dog ****. I'm guessing it will take electroshock to straighten you out. That negativity done folded, spindled and mutilated your pre-frontal cortex.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

How about some love for the FA acquisitions Andra Davis and Weapon X?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #16
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

Even if the Bengals made that FG, they would have held them to just 10, which is still great.

Overall...I still think the team is pretty weak and they got very lucky winning this game, but the defense DOES look substantially better. Nolan's doing a pretty damn good job so far. McD still looks a POS on his side of the ball....but they've got the Browns and Raiders coming up, so they might be able to get away with it, for now.

Go Canes!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

A win is a win, but holy lord it hurts watching us hold Cinci to 0 points for 58 minutes... and the game has to be won on an immaculate reception redux. This is a good defense, and we are about 1/3rd of the way complete personell wise.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #18
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
How about some love for the FA acquisitions Andra Davis and Weapon X?
No kidding. Andre Davis owned the Bungles the 1st half. Davis, Dawkins, Baily and Smith are going to put the Broncos D on the map.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Even if the Bengals made that FG, they would have held them to just 10, which is still great.

Overall...I still think the team is pretty weak and they got very lucky winning this game, but the defense DOES look substantially better. Nolan's doing a pretty damn good job so far. McD still looks a POS on his side of the ball....but they've got the Browns and Raiders coming up, so they might be able to get away with it, for now.
Not 10, 13 in reality... and that's to a team with a completely reshuffled OL, and their first draft pick currently injured.

The defense is looking sharpER, but far from good. Guys that actually played worth a **** today:

Davis, Champ, Dawkins, Smith AND Marcus Thomas

But, hey, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Just imagine... if we had a real quarterback... hell, even a mediocre quarterback, we win by double digits on the road. If you can't see that McD is married to Orton after this performance, you never will...
That's the TRUTH. Reminded me of wathcing Bubby Brister complete with almost getting our best players killed...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

cosign
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Idiot.

Brandon Marshalls drop on the bomb put us in FG territory at least and gives the O some much needed confidence.

That gives us 3 more points making Caron Palmer's final drive insignificant and it doesnt matter.

Moron.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Not 10, 13 in reality... and that's to a team with a completely reshuffled OL, and their first draft pick currently injured.

The defense is looking sharpER, but far from good. Guys that actually played worth a **** today:

Davis, Champ, Dawkins, Smith AND Marcus Thomas

But, hey, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

C'mon Rev, we gave up 7 points with zero offensive output today.

We caught a break on the FG snap, and caught unlucky breaks on the holding calls.

For the first game in a new system with an almost completely new defense... you can't admit this was a nice start?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #24
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
Denver's defense played quite a bit better than I thought they would. I think Cinci is going to have a good offense this year, and they just weren't in sych... but part of that is Denver stepping up and making plays. Except for one time, they couldn't run on us for ****.

There were some holes in the secondary that Denver needs to patch up... but honestly after last year knowing every time the other team's offense has the ball they are going to score this is a welcome freaking relief. I would rather have an offense that has ups and downs with a solid defense than an absolute sieve of a defense.
Completely agree. The thing is I truly believe the team, including the offense, will only get better. I know there may be those that disagree with that, but I believe it, and more importantly, the the team believes it.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
C'mon Rev, we gave up 7 points with zero offensive output today.

We caught a break on the FG snap, and caught unlucky breaks on the holding calls.

For the first game in a new system with an almost completely new defense... you can't admit this was a nice start?
Agree the D looks great. Loved the pressure and they way they went after it. Thought the Running game looked good in spurts too.
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote