The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Sharpe reaches out to Marshall...

This may be a "we landed on the moon" thread. I knew Rod Smith had extended advice to Marshall. But, I didn't know Sharpe was involved... and they did it all via conference call. Pretty interesting article.

Also includes a Broncos/Bungholes preview...

The absence of drama to date in Marshall's return is being viewed as a positive sign by Shannon Sharpe, formerly a star tight end for the Broncos and a member of consecutive Super Bowl-winning teams in the late 1990s.

Sharpe said he reached out to Marshall by phone...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12191595
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

During a three-way call that also included former Broncos receiver Rod Smith, Sharpe said he told Marshall flat out that he was wrong and urged him to start "acting like a grown man, a professional football player and conduct himself accordingly."

"You just can't condone behavior like that. Even if he was my brother, I'd still tell him he was wrong," Sharpe said

Got to love Shannon.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Glad Sharpe is trying help out. Hopefully Marshall takes it to heart a little. He can still be an amazing Bronco and regain the respect and love of the fans if he puts his head down and helps us win.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Lets hope it is the start of a new chapter in Marshall's life.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
During a three-way call that also included former Broncos receiver Rod Smith, Sharpe said he told Marshall flat out that he was wrong and urged him to start "acting like a grown man, a professional football player and conduct himself accordingly."

"You just can't condone behavior like that. Even if he was my brother, I'd still tell him he was wrong," Sharpe said

Got to love Shannon.
as much as i love Rod, Sharpe may be the better mentor to a guy like Marshall, while Rod is better for Eddie.

you got to love how Sharpe just puts it out there and tells it like it is instead of sugar coating things.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Here's the real question. Could Marshall understand Shannon!!!!! The dude talks like his whole mouth shot full of anthesetic.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
as much as i love Rod, Sharpe may be the better mentor to a guy like Marshall, while Rod is better for Eddie.

you got to love how Sharpe just puts it out there and tells it like it is instead of sugar coating things.
Rod made Marshall who he is today - he taught him how to get open and the rest is Marshall's God given talent. If you watch Marshall, he runs the crossing route or slant a lot like Rod did...cheats to the inside a little more and always has his hands up ready for the ball to signal the QB that he's open. I have noticed this especially in the short game.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

My hope is that Sharpe put an elbow in his face and let it slide down into his ribs just to see if he could get his attention.

Marshall has been ground zero for a lot of Broncos controversy going back to Darrent Williams. I personally don't care for this player. He has the talent to be Godzilla but he has the brain of a five year old child.

If he becomes successful in the Orange and Blue that will mean nothing to me because he is a failure as a person.

Sharpe and Rod Smith are relics. They don't make players like that anymore. Brandon Marshall is what the NFL is about now and he isn't listening.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

My hope is that Sharpe put an elbow in his face and let it slide down into his ribs just to see if he could get his attention.

Marshall has been ground zero for a lot of Broncos controversy going back to Darrent Williams. I personally don't care for this player. He has the talent to be Godzilla but he has the brain of a five year old child.

If he becomes successful in the Orange and Blue that will mean nothing to me because he is a failure as a person.

Sharpe and Rod Smith are relics. They don't make players like that anymore. Brandon Marshall is what the NFL is about now and he isn't listening.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger View Post

I am so glad most people don't have such a ridiculous thought pattern as you. Man the world would be an annoying place.

As for Marshall--most fans do love him. They'll love him more when he comes out and does this year what he has done the last two years. And he'll keep giving to the Denver community, and doing the right thing. He's also a young man, made some bad choices, but is on the right track.

I think Sharpe is a much better person to reach out to Marshall than Rod. Sharpe and Marshall are very similar in attitude. Rod is a humble "all for the team" guy, which is wonderful, that's the ideal player, but a guy like that isn't going to relate to Marshall. A guy like Sharpe, who is a big showman and trash talker is going to appeal to Marshall on a much deeper level.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Here's the real question. Could Marshall understand Shannon!!!!! The dude talks like his whole mouth shot full of anthesetic.

lol!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeledude View Post
I am so glad most people don't have such a ridiculous thought pattern as you. Man the world would be an annoying place.

As for Marshall--most fans do love him. They'll love him more when he comes out and does this year what he has done the last two years. And he'll keep giving to the Denver community, and doing the right thing. He's also a young man, made some bad choices, but is on the right track.

I think Sharpe is a much better person to reach out to Marshall than Rod. Sharpe and Marshall are very similar in attitude. Rod is a humble "all for the team" guy, which is wonderful, that's the ideal player, but a guy like that isn't going to relate to Marshall. A guy like Sharpe, who is a big showman and trash talker is going to appeal to Marshall on a much deeper level.
The world would be quite a bit more dangerous I could promise you that. I am glad that my thought patterns are my own. It took a long time to make them and they were very expensive to boot.

I am glad that the fans like Marshall. They should. He is a dominating player and should be respected on the field. I agree. Sharpe is definitely the one to call him out but again take a look around the league. Shining examples of people to respect are in short supply. This used to be the core of the NFL and now those are just feel good stories.

The money is the magic. All hail the money.

Sharpe is my Adopt a Bronco. I used to have Mark Schlereth there because I really respect the man's integrity, smarts and directness.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4C5vzY1d-c
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
NOBODY thought Sharpe would make it as a commentator because of that. He sets the English language back 50 years when he gets too excited.

I wonder why Elway's name has not popped up lately.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Rod made Marshall who he is today - he taught him how to get open and the rest is Marshall's God given talent.
So I guess blind short dumb crippled people have god's given problems?

How about just his talent?
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Good job, Shannon.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
So I guess blind short dumb crippled people have god's given problems?

How about just his talent?
How do we know God gave him that talent? Maybe he sold his soul to the devil.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Rod made Marshall who he is today - he taught him how to get open and the rest is Marshall's God given talent. If you watch Marshall, he runs the crossing route or slant a lot like Rod did...cheats to the inside a little more and always has his hands up ready for the ball to signal the QB that he's open. I have noticed this especially in the short game.
i was talking more about in the personal life mentoring. Sharpe has a similar personality to Marshall and seems like he could mesh better with him than Rod could. Rod has a personality more in line with Eddie and they seem like they would be a better match as mentor and student.

Rod's teachings on field for Marshall have been instrumental in making him the badass receiver he is today i totally agree, but off field, i think Sharpe would be a better mentor to Marshall because they seem like they would mesh better together due to similar personalities.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
NOBODY thought Sharpe would make it as a commentator because of that. He sets the English language back 50 years when he gets too excited.

My guess is that he might be a tiny tad "preoccupied" lately... having just recently gotten married.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I guess if marshall still ***** up after this 2 on 1 consultation then he must be a full blown moron i guess the balls in brandon court now.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:

Marshall has just finished the yr with great numbers. He had 100 balls and 1000 yrds, 10 tds!!!!!!

They ask him what made you turn your season around!!!!!!

He will say!!!!!!

Man Shannon Sharpe said something that just really stuck!!!!

What was it Marshall, what did he say!!!!!

He said....Bambom, wayyudda bin tinking!!!!!! yudda godda pley herd alla yeara and dend ya begettin da money!!!!!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #22
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Marshall has just finished the yr with great numbers. He had 100 balls and 1000 yrds, 10 tds!!!!!!

They ask him what made you turn your season around!!!!!!

He will say!!!!!!

Man Shannon Sharpe said something that just really stuck!!!!

What was it Marshall, what did he say!!!!!

He said....Bambom, wayyudda bin tinking!!!!!! yudda godda pley herd alla yeara and dend ya begettin da money!!!!!
^ HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH! Oh my oh my I read that outloud and almost passed out. Funniest (and most accurate) textual transcript of Sharpe speaking ever!
Thank you.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #23
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
My guess is that he might be a tiny tad "preoccupied" lately... having just recently gotten married.
Just shows you that even the great Elway can be seduced by the dark side (Paige Green is a former Oakland Raiders cheerleader).
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I hope this knucklehead pulls it together once and for all!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #25
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Brandon "I get reached out to once an offseason" Marshall.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote