The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default The game on sunday might be Blacked-Out!

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4462104
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season, including the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals this week.

I assume it will only be blacked out in Cincy. Why punish the Broncos fans because Cinny doesn't sale out.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

its only in the city of Cincinatti.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Its only blacked out in the home local market. Anyone out of cinci is fine
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post
its only in the city of Cincinatti.
That wouldn't make scene So i got direct tv can i still watch the game even tho its Blacked-Out on its local channels?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Who are they playing
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Simmons actually had a really good point in his column yesterday about the blackouts. Regardless of the recession, people are realizing that it's become remarkably expensive and not terribly fun to go to the games, especially with the pervasiveness of HD television.

Prediction VI: Blackouts of home games will become the signature media story of the 2009 season. You'll hear way too much about it. Here's my take: This isn't about the economy. It's about the fact that it's more fun to stay home and watch football than it is to sit in crappy seats to watch any team ranging from "lousy" to "mediocre." It just is. For many fan bases, here are the two choices every Sunday:
Door No. 1 (more expensive): Traffic, parking, long walk to stadium, lousy seats, lifeless state-of-the-art arena, TV timeouts, dead crowds, drunk/bitter fans, more TV timeouts, hiked-up concession prices, PDAs with jammed signals as you're searching for scores, even more TV timeouts, long walk to car, even more traffic.
Door No. 2 (less expensive): Sofa, NFL package, HD, fantasy scores online, remote control toggling, gambling, access to scores, seven straight hours of football, cell phone calls, beer and food in fridge, no traffic.
I can see going through Door No. 1 once a year just to remind yourself that going to an NFL game sucks. But eight times a year? Unless you had good seats, or unless this was your only excuse to get out of your house and get plastered, why would you? It's a blue-collar sport with white-collar ticket prices. This blackout trend would have happened whether the economy was suffering or not.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Sucks to be them....

According to some here, the Broncos will enter that club after a season or two of McD.

Kreskin is EVERYWHERE!
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Simmons actually had a really good point in his column yesterday about the blackouts. Regardless of the recession, people are realizing that it's become remarkably expensive and not terribly fun to go to the games, especially with the pervasiveness of HD television.

Prediction VI: Blackouts of home games will become the signature media story of the 2009 season. You'll hear way too much about it. Here's my take: This isn't about the economy. It's about the fact that it's more fun to stay home and watch football than it is to sit in crappy seats to watch any team ranging from "lousy" to "mediocre." It just is. For many fan bases, here are the two choices every Sunday:
Door No. 1 (more expensive): Traffic, parking, long walk to stadium, lousy seats, lifeless state-of-the-art arena, TV timeouts, dead crowds, drunk/bitter fans, more TV timeouts, hiked-up concession prices, PDAs with jammed signals as you're searching for scores, even more TV timeouts, long walk to car, even more traffic.
Door No. 2 (less expensive): Sofa, NFL package, HD, fantasy scores online, remote control toggling, gambling, access to scores, seven straight hours of football, cell phone calls, beer and food in fridge, no traffic.
I can see going through Door No. 1 once a year just to remind yourself that going to an NFL game sucks. But eight times a year? Unless you had good seats, or unless this was your only excuse to get out of your house and get plastered, why would you? It's a blue-collar sport with white-collar ticket prices. This blackout trend would have happened whether the economy was suffering or not.
I would take door #1 every game if I lived closer.

Have you ever tailgated with friends? It is ****ing awesome.

Shameless plug for Meck and OF1
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I said the same thing after I went to my first ever game a few years ago in Detroit. I spent $300 on 4 tickets, drove like 8 hours each way, got a hotel, etc only to find out that actually being at the game generally sucked. And the Lions won 42-7. I prefer to relax and watch the game but everytime anything happened you had to be on your feet because the people in front of you were. Who really wanted to jump to their feet when Shaun Rogers got the INT or fumble and started back the other way?

I ended up watching most of the game on the tv screens even at the game. Horrible experience overall, I thought. Always had much more fun at less crowded college games.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
chawknz
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hey now!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
That wouldn't make scene So i got direct tv can i still watch the game even tho its Blacked-Out on its local channels?
If you're in Cinci and the game is blacked out from local channels, it will also be blacked out on DirecTV.
chawknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
But Door No. 1 is so much more fun though. The constant TV timeouts and my inability to get any type of web service on my iPhone so I can check scores/stats during all those TV timeouts are what annoy me the most.

Maybe people who complain about concessions should learn to plan a little better? You can go to a sit-down restaurant on your way to the game for cheaper, better food so you don't have to buy anything during the game. I have 0 sympathy for people who pay for the over-priced beer. We have aisle seats, it's hilarious to watch people walk by multiple times during a game, double-fisting each time. There are people who probably spend almost as much on beer as they do for their tickets.

If it's so damn expensive for concessions/beer yet you want to go to the game, do you have enough self-control to not buy anything while you're there, and just watch the game?
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I have season tickets, and I can totally see Simmons' point. It's wicked expensive just to get in the door. And while I CAN watch football without beer, I'd rather enjoy both together.

I tailgate with friends regularly. But I love away games too because of house parties, which are every bit as fun and don't involve parking, traffic, or light rail.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

The league needs to get a better handle on these blackout rules as teams fight off recession. Blacked out games in small markets will only hurt the league further.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

sucks for the bungal fans
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
But Door No. 1 is so much more fun though. The constant TV timeouts and my inability to get any type of web service on my iPhone so I can check scores/stats during all those TV timeouts are what annoy me the most.

Maybe people who complain about concessions should learn to plan a little better? You can go to a sit-down restaurant on your way to the game for cheaper, better food so you don't have to buy anything during the game. I have 0 sympathy for people who pay for the over-priced beer. We have aisle seats, it's hilarious to watch people walk by multiple times during a game, double-fisting each time. There are people who probably spend almost as much on beer as they do for their tickets.

If it's so damn expensive for concessions/beer yet you want to go to the game, do you have enough self-control to not buy anything while you're there, and just watch the game?

I concur with most of your post. I barely spend a dime on concessions. We Tailgate before the game, have a few hearty meals, plenty to drink, and once I go to the game I stop drinking beer.
The choices are :1. Brat and 4 beers in the stadium =$30+ or 2. Breakfast and lunch/ Lunch and dinner +snacks and plenty of drinks in the lot (same price) .

I enjoy both watching live and watching in the den. I guess those who don't like live football must have had ****ty ass seats.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post

No, no I dont
Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
mellow mood
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

if it is blacked out on direct tv i might seriously go postal
mellow mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDortoh View Post
No, no I dont

I bring one of these to every game
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

I bring one of these to every game
Bingo!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow mood View Post
if it is blacked out on direct tv i might seriously go postal
Me too man it's gonna suck
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

I think I heard somewhere that blacked out games will be played on NFL Network on a delay.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #23
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

If you live in the Cincinatti area , and its blacked out there, it will be blacked out on the Sunday ticket in the Cincinatti area...
Everyone else will still see it..

Since its an Early game it should go on on time....
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #24
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawknz View Post
If you're in Cinci and the game is blacked out from local channels, it will also be blacked out on DirecTV.
Pretty sure there are no blackouts on DTV even if it is blacked out local.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Blackout rules only apply to the local market.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote