The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default Finally some sanity ... Kiszla favors Simms

Seems strange it took this long for somebody to mention the obvious - Simms has proven he's a better quarterback that Orton.

Quote:
Kiszla: Simms a better choice at Cincy
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

You think the Broncos have dealt with too much melodrama at quarterback? It has only just begun.

Do you know who the team's starting quarterback will be when Denver opens the regular season? Josh McDaniels cannot be absolutely, 100 percent positive about the answer to that crucial question as he awakens this morning, only five days before the first game that counts on his record as an NFL coach.

With the spy-versus-spy secrecy the Broncos give to injuries, believe anything you hear this week regarding the health of the QBs at your own risk.

When last I saw him, Kyle Orton was lounging in the press box at a football stadium in Denver, with his feet propped on a chair while he nursed a busted throwing hand as teammates played their final preseason game. He looked more ready to order a pizza than strap on a helmet.

Is this the quarterback whom McDaniels really wants to trust to lead his team in the season opener at Cincinnati, where the Broncos have been established as 4 1/2-point underdogs? Just say no, Kid McD.

At 100 percent efficiency, Orton is a mediocre NFL quarterback.

The Broncos might well have a better chance to win with a quarterback who hasn't thrown a touchdown pass in the league since 2006.

Go ahead, call me crazy in an upper extremity. But if there's any way Chris Simms can jog to the Denver huddle on his gimpy ankle, I say he would be a better choice to start than Orton, who looked unprepared for the job before suffering an injury that could adversely affect his every pass.
More: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13288338
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Klis and Kiszla are totally different guys.

Anyway, this issue isnt going to go away any time soon unless Orton, a) plays and b) delivers.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

I don't care who starts as long as he plays well and gets a W. If that's Orton and we run 50 times, fine. If not, start Simms, or start Brandstater. Who cares! It's not about who's you're favorite guy, but who gives us the best chance to win.
I'm sure McD will make the right decision. He won't **** up his first game.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Klis and Kiszla are totally different guys.

Anyway, this issue isnt going to go away any time soon unless Orton, a) plays and b) delivers.
You're right, sorry ...

I'm thinking Orton's injury is worse that they're letting on, that's a nasty injury for a QB. You can't just wrap up a throwing hand in a big ball of tape like Brian Dawkins.

Hopefully Simms gets the first couple weeks ... that way my pimping will be put to the test and I can shut up about it
Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I can't tell the two writers apart either...

I like how the basis for his article is that Orton was sitting with his feet on a chair watching the game, and thus is unprepared to play quarterback.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

wipe your face.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I have yet to see Simms look better than Orton. Brandstater looked better than the both of them, but that was in game four of a preseason. None of them get me very excited, frankly. McD should have gone up to Boulder on Friday and shanghied Sanchez.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I like how the basis for his article is that Orton was sitting with his feet on a chair watching the game, and thus is unprepared to play quarterback.
Yeah, that was BS. But the overall point is true. No matter how much Koolaid you gulp down, the fact is Orton has looked pretty bad. The only stretches he's been efficient were in the baby-steps training wheel offense.

Simms on the other hand was scrambling all over, throwing deep, produced scores on 3 of his 4 drives against SF. Simms has earned it I think.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
You're right, sorry ...

I'm thinking Orton's injury is worse that they're letting on, that's a nasty injury for a QB. You can't just wrap up a throwing hand in a big ball of tape like Brian Dawkins.

Hopefully Simms gets the first couple weeks ... that way my pimping will be put to the test and I can shut up about it
Yeah, I kind of hope so too because I have a feeling McDaniels is going to be stubborn about playing Orton even if/when he's not getting it done. If Simms gets to play, we'll have a basis for comparison.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I have yet to see Simms look better than Orton.
That's hilarious ... you either, a) missed the 49ers game, or b) you were distracted or something.

*EDIT* Here you go Roh, since you obviously missed the SF game:

Would've been even better had McKinley not dropped an easy 1st down catch - on the ONLY Simms drive that didn't end in a score.

So you still "have yet to see Simms look better than Orton"?

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 09-08-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
wipe your face.
Karen, that's no way for a lady to talk.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Simms needs to start this game. No way Orton and his finger are ready. Orton's been done in by the fickle finger of fate and if Simms wants to resurrect his career, nows the time.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I was under the impression that Simms was running an even more dumbed down offense because he was with #2s, was that not the case?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I was under the impression that Simms was running an even more dumbed down offense because he was with #2s, was that not the case?
That was the excuse Orton-backers gave when Simms wiped up the field with him

Truth is there's just one game plan, they don't give second stringers a different plan ... also, preseason games are generally VERY dumbed down anyway ... which makes Orton's many INTs even more worrisome and baffling.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

For what its worth, the TC reporters (Buff was one) consistently said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

He did have a stronger arm, but his touch and accuracy sucked.

Also mistaking Klis for Kizla is a huge offense to Klis. Klis is a good, level-handed beat reporter. Kizla hates the Broncos more than Wolf175****hole and Lex.

Last edited by Natedogg; 09-08-2009 at 11:31 AM..
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
For what its worth, the TC reporterss (Buff was one) consistantly said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

Also mistaking Klis for Kizla is a huge offense to Klis. Klis is a good, level-handed beat reporter. Kizla hates the Broncos more than Wolf175****hole and Lex.
Klis is a sycophant.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
That's hilarious ... you either, a) missed the 49ers game, or b) you were distracted or something.

*EDIT* Here you go Roh, since you obviously missed the SF game:

Would've been even better had McKinley not dropped an easy 1st down catch - on the ONLY Simms drive that didn't end in a score.

So you still "have yet to see Simms look better than Orton"?
You are like a broken record! We know! Man love for Simms etc...!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Klis is a sycophant.
Give one example.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
For what its worth, the TC reporterss (Buff was one) consistantly said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

Truth is, as a reporter I was very concerned about separating my fan stuff from my objective reporting ... media is/was my profession, so I wanted to be proper there, and I think I was.

But in doing so, I listed Simms a couple times as "most disappointing player," which wasn't entirely true. Orton looked better, sure, with Royal, Hillis and Gaffney, but he also a lot of INTs, including a 99-yard pick-6 to JMFW to end the last practice before the Invesco Scrimmage (in which he threw TWO MORE picks!)

Aside from that though ... it's funny how everybody uses the alibi, "Orton looked better in practice." PRACTICE?!

Did you see the games? The Invesco scrimmage? I'm sorry, but Orton has sucked all over the field every time out. Even the Seattle game, in which he did complete a very high percentage of (mostly very low risk) passes, even then he threw TWO red zone picks (though one was dropped). Yes, he also had two red zone TD passes, (though one was dropped). I just don't like a 50-50 red zone TD-INT ratio. All that's without even mentioning the 3-Int half against SF. He was okay vs. the Bears, but he produced just THREE points? That's not good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Fair enough ...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #21
SoonerBronco
Rocket Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wahoo McDaniel

Quote:
For what its worth, the TC reporters (Buff was one) consistently said Orton was better than Simms. I only made it to TC one day (near the end of TC) and Orton looked sever orders of magnitude better than Simms. Simms was late on almost every throw.

Some folks have better games than practices...just sayin...
SoonerBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
You are like a broken record! We know! Man love for Simms etc...!
I know, I know, that's true.

But it's like the Twilight Zone, nobody sees it. Just read Rohirrim's post above, "I haven't seen Simms look better than Orton" ...WTF is that?!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Give one example.

His stuff often looks like its approved by the Broncos front office. More recently, he did a piece representing Bowlens postition of kvetching about the labor agreement. He addressed the issue of Bowlen being broke by letting Bowlen deny it and blindly accepting that as gospel. He's been Bowlen's mouthpiece lately.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #24
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
His stuff often looks like its approved by the Broncos front office. More recently, he did a piece representing Bowlens postition of kvetching about the labor agreement. He addressed the issue of Bowlen being broke by letting Bowlen deny it and blindly accepting that as gospel. He's been Bowlen's mouthpiece lately.
sycophant? kvetching? You're killing me today!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #25
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

Per McBuffster:

Did you see the games? The Invesco scrimmage? I'm sorry, but Orton has sucked all over the field every time out. Even the Seattle game, in which he did complete a very high percentage of (mostly very low risk) passes, even then he threw TWO red zone picks (though one was dropped). Yes, he also had two red zone TD passes, (though one was dropped). I just don't like a 50-50 red zone TD-INT ratio. All that's without even mentioning the 3-Int half against SF. He was okay vs. the Bears, but he produced just THREE points? That's not good enough.

Per Orange Skier:

When Orton was on the field for us, the other team consistently stacked "the box" with 10 defensive players..........the secret is out.....Orton can't throw to the left, and he can't throw long..........he's an interim answer.......not a long term answer.........so............how about we start our Rookie, and let him figure it out........Simms and Ordinary Orton.....not the answer..............Rookie.....possible answer.........
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote