The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,678

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Week One Depth Chart... First of Reg Season

Apologies if repost... nothing earth shattering.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=134

DENVER BRONCOS 2009 DEPTH CHART
(as of Sept. 7, 2009)
Broncos Offense
WR 19 E. Royal 84 B. Lloyd 11 K. McKinley
LT 78 R. Clady 76 T. Polumbus
LG 50 B. Hamilton 70. S. Olsen
C 62 C. Wiegmann 50 B. Hamilton
RG 73 C. Kuper 71 R. Hochstein
RT 74 R. Harris 77 B. Gorin
TE 89 D. Graham 88 T. Scheffler 81 R. Quinn
WR 14 B. Stokley 10 J. Gaffney
WR 10 J. Gaffney 15 B. Marshall
QB 8 K.Orton 2 C. Simms 3 T. Brandstater
RB 28 C. Buckhalter 32 L. Jordan 22 P. Hillis 27 K. Moreno


Broncos Defense
DE 98 R. McBean 97 L. Smith
NT 91 R. Fields 79 M. Thomas 75 C. Baker
DE 90 K. Peterson 99 V. Hollliday
OLB 57 M. Haggan 95 D. Reid
ILB 54 A. Davis 46 S. Larsen
ILB 55 D.J. Willaims 59 W. Woodyard
OLB 92 E. Dumervil 56 R. Ayers 94 J. Moss
LCB 24 C. Bailey 33 A. Smith
RCB 21 A. Goodman 26 J. Williams
SS 23 R. Hill 30 D. Bruton 36 J. Barrett
FS 20 B. Dawkins 31 D. McBath


Broncos Specialists
P 1 B. Kern
K 5 M. Prater
KO 5 M. Prater 1 B. Kern
PR 19 E. Royal 33 A. Smith
KR 19 E. Royal 22 P. Hillis 33 A. Smith
PC 66 L. Paxton 73 C. Kuper 88 T. Scheffler
KC 66 L. Paxton 73 C. Kuper 88 T. Scheffler
H 1 B. Kern 8 K. Orton
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,678

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Buck and Jordan over Hillis and Moreno most upsetting to me.

Gaffney over Marshall I can understand considering the drama... and because of the sheer wealth of immense talent oozing from every Gaffney pore.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,678

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

One other thing:

OLB 57 M. Haggan 95 D. Reid
OLB 92 E. Dumervil 56 R. Ayers 94 J. Moss

I like Haggan and all......

But does it seem like we have one spot locked down with talented prospects, and just lobbed dog **** at the other one to try and anchor the point of attack, or is that just me....?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,773
Default

Again, there has been one very unsubstantiated rumor that said Hillis was struggling with the system. I have no idea what truth there could be to that. However, I did read one scouting report on Hillis coming out of school that said he was a guy who might try to get by on physical talent alone... and might not take properly to coaching.

Again, that's just one rumor and one scouting report. Doesn't mean it's true. But, at a certain point... I guess you have to wonder. Shanahan did everything he could to keep from starting Hillis, and now McDaniels seems to be following suit.

In situations like these, I just assume there must be something we aren't seeing. Hillis looks like a much better starting option to me than Buckhalter or Jordan. The fact that he's third string behind them despite already being on the roster is just a bit odd.

Maybe it's no big deal, and he'll get his fair share of reps. But, you have to wonder why a couple of smart offensive coaches have avoided making him a primary back.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza
 
Baba Booey's Avatar
 
HURRY HURRY!

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of the Wall
Posts: 2,033

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Hillis on KRs...I like
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,678

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Again, there has been one very unsubstantiated rumor that said Hillis was struggling with the system. I have no idea what truth there could be to that. However, I did read one scouting report on Hillis coming out of school that said he was a guy who might try to get by on physical talent alone... and might not take properly to coaching.
We've seen him vastly outperform the other players in THIS system. On top of that, he's got a wealth of versatility from playing different positions and his catching ability... it's insanity to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Again, that's just one rumor and one scouting report. Doesn't mean it's true. But, at a certain point... I guess you have to wonder. Shanahan did everything he could to keep from starting Hillis, and now McDaniels seems to be following suit.
Please don't say dumb ****.

Late 7th round FULLbacks don't generally get opportunities their rookie year... especially after a mild hold-out.

Injury gave Hillis his and the second that came along, he had the job until his injury... so this is just absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
In situations like these, I just assume there must be something we aren't seeing. Hillis looks like a much better starting option to me than Buckhalter or Jordan. The fact that he's third string behind them despite already being on the roster is just a bit odd.

Maybe it's no big deal, and he'll get his fair share of reps. But, you have to wonder why a couple of smart offensive coaches have avoided making him a primary back.
There HAS to be something going on... or hopefully just some smoke screen heading into week 1. It just seems like we're starting to literally go out of the way to avoid playing talented players.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Durango
Ring of Famer
 
Durango's Avatar
 
Woodsman

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durango
Posts: 1,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Buck and Jordan over Hillis and Moreno most upsetting to me.

Gaffney over Marshall I can understand considering the drama... and because of the sheer wealth of immense talent oozing from every Gaffney pore.

Doesn't Gaffney have a broken thumb? So, someone is telling the world that Gaffney will start with a stub hand ahead of Marshall? ummmmm, no.

It must be part of that public humiliation thing. Of course, Marshall deserves it, but still..
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

this makes it pretty clear moreno will not be playing at all this week, and i doubt we see marshall either.

gotta admit one thing over last year, we have much better depth and talent almost everywhere. with both sides this year more than we are used to, there will be more rotation and more use of different sets, so "starters" doesnt mean as much as playtime will. how much are we gonna run a nickel defense, and when we run nickel, does a LB come off the field and we just rush 3?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
We've seen him vastly outperform the other players in THIS system. On top of that, he's got a wealth of versatility from playing different positions and his catching ability... it's insanity to me.
Can't really disagree. He hasn't had a bang-up preseason, but he hasn't gotten enough work, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Please don't say dumb ****.
Well, we both know that's never the case... so don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Late 7th round FULLbacks don't generally get opportunities their rookie year... especially after a mild hold-out.
True, though Shanahan was as quick as any coach in the league to start a player, regardless of where he was drafted. Even when Hillis was getting game time, Shanahan chose to just throw him the ball, at first. Finally, he had no choice but to feed it to him as a RB.

The point here is... Shanahan watched this guy all the way through camp. He's an offensive genius. You and I can look at Hillis run the ball three times and we know he's got freaky skills. So, Shanahan clearly had a chance to see him in camp... and preseason, and chose to not give him a chance to run the ball.

McDaniels seems to be following suit, to an extent. These are two brilliant offensive coaches doing the exact same thing. Clearly, there's something we're not seeing in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
There HAS to be something going on... or hopefully just some smoke screen heading into week 1. .
I don't know, man. Again, there IS a school of thought out there that says there might be more than meets the eye with regards to his overall abilities/coachability.

McDaniels seems to love Eddie Royal, and showered Marshall with Praise before he held out. He hasn't benched anyone on our offensive line. Champ Bailey still has a starting spot. Even DJ Williams seems to be safe.

So, I don't think this is a larger issue than Hilllis. I think it's either what you said... a smoke screen, or there's clearly some other info we're not privy to.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,505

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
One other thing:

OLB 57 M. Haggan 95 D. Reid
OLB 92 E. Dumervil 56 R. Ayers 94 J. Moss

I like Haggan and all......

But does it seem like we have one spot locked down with talented prospects, and just lobbed dog **** at the other one to try and anchor the point of attack, or is that just me....?
that's just you man.

Ayers is still learning the pro game and can't be expected to start right now, in a month or 2 that will change. Moss sucks and only made it because it would have cost us 2 million to dump him.

Haggan has played well for us and right now is deserving of the spot as a starter
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,773
Default

They've been slowly giving Ayers more and more time. He still looks a little lost, though. Give him time. I'm glad we have a little depth to utilize as we bring him along.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,227
Default

The reason could be that coaches don't feel Hillis has a style that lends itself to a lot of touches in a football game. He takes an enormous amount of contact and big RB's are notorious for getting injured.

Also Hillis a little slow to the LOS IMO and lacks the kind of wiggle you want from a starting RB.

I like him though but I think his role best suited to 10 touches a game.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,678

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
True, though Shanahan was as quick as any coach in the league to start a player, regardless of where he was drafted. Even when Hillis was getting game time, Shanahan chose to just throw him the ball, at first. Finally, he had no choice but to feed it to him as a RB.

The point here is... Shanahan watched this guy all the way through camp. He's an offensive genius. You and I can look at Hillis run the ball three times and we know he's got freaky skills. So, Shanahan clearly had a chance to see him in camp... and preseason, and chose to not give him a chance to run the ball.

McDaniels seems to be following suit, to an extent. These are two brilliant offensive coaches doing the exact same thing. Clearly, there's something we're not seeing in this situation.
He's not following suit. The situation is just about as apples and oranges as you can get.

This time last year, Hillis was a 7th round rookie fullback had broken the starting line-up as a fullback and a nearly unknown commodity. I know it may be difficult to believe that everyone in camps aren't getting the same amount of snaps... or that a head coach may have more things to do than to watch rookie 7th round fullbacks and day dream about a position switch for them, but that's the reality, Popps.

This time THIS year, we have several games of film of Hillis as the bell-cow running back with over 20 carries per game, and a remarkable performance shredding the Jets defense that just came off shutting down one of the strongest running games in the league (Titans).

Buckhalter has looked better than I anticipated thus far... but the fat Ewok Jordan in no way shape or form deserves to be slotted above Hillis... in NO WAY.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The reason could be that coaches don't feel Hillis has a style that lends itself to a lot of touches in a football game. He takes an enormous amount of contact and big RB's are notorious for getting injured.

Also Hillis a little slow to the LOS IMO and lacks the kind of wiggle you want from a starting RB.

I like him though but I think his role best suited to 10 touches a game.
didnt his YPC go up as he got more carries...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,997

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

I'm sure there will be a rotation at RB....at least for the time being. I wouldn't take the depth chart too seriously. They always emphasize different backs in different packages. Hillis will get his share in SY-GL as well as in the base. Buckhalter does a nice job on outside runs and also in the passing game and I'm sure there will be a portion of the game plan vs. CIN that emphasizes him in those respects. If Moreno is good to go, I suspect the staff will work him in as well in certain areas in the base offense as well as on screens and such. I think there will be RB by committee for the first few weeks until Moreno is totally healthy. After that, I think we'll see him share snaps with Hillis primarily, with Buckhalter making appearances from time to time on sure passing downs and/or in the shotgun, where he has done a nice job on draws.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN
 
WABronco's Avatar
 
All dat force

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'm sure there will be a rotation at RB....at least for the time being. I wouldn't take the depth chart too seriously. They always emphasize different backs in different packages. Hillis will get his share in SY-GL as well as in the base. Buckhalter does a nice job on outside runs and also in the passing game and I'm sure there will be a portion of the game plan vs. CIN that emphasizes him in those respects. If Moreno is good to go, I suspect the staff will work him in as well in certain areas in the base offense as well as on screens and such. I think there will be RB by committee for the first few weeks until Moreno is totally healthy. After that, I think we'll see him share snaps with Hillis primarily, with Buckhalter making appearances from time to time on sure passing downs and/or in the shotgun, where he has done a nice job on draws.
Bingo.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #17
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I know it may be difficult to believe that everyone in camps aren't getting the same amount of snaps.
Again, there's no question he had an uphill battle in camp.

What I'm saying is, Mike Shanahan is a friggin' offensive genius. The guy DID see Hillis taking carries in camp and in practice. Guarantee you, he saw enough from him to make a judgment. Yet, he didn't give him a carry until he had to.

It's not a conspiracy. Two great coaches have decided for whatever reason that he's not a starting RB, unless injury forced their hand.

This isn't a Shanny/McD thing. They both seemed to arrive at the same conclusion, regardless of the circumstances and while I don't feel like digging, I'll bet there are posts from last year's camp reports that discuss Hillis taking snaps of some sort.

He also carried the ball enough in college for Shanny to have an idea what kind of skills he had.

McDaniels had a year of tape to look at, and doesn't seem overwhelmed with him as a potential starter.


Again, in a situation like this... I'm inclined to think there are things we don't know.

Or, perhaps it's what SoCal is saying... and the numbers on the depth chart don't really mean much. There is probably truth to that.

What I'm positive it's not... is McDaniels purposely benching playmakers. He didn't help lead one of the league's best offenses the past few years by benching playmakers.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 AM   #18
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,773
Default

I should also add that if he's not the starter this coming week (if Moreno is out) ... I disagree with the decision.

But, we'll see how our running game pans out.

NE was 4th in the league in rushing last year using a bunch of guys they pulled off of a UPS loading dock behind a back-up QB who hadn't played since Pop-Warner or some ****.

I'll cut our coach a bit of slack until I see the results.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,505

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Again, there's no question he had an uphill battle in camp.

What I'm saying is, Mike Shanahan is a friggin' offensive genius. The guy DID see Hillis taking carries in camp and in practice. Guarantee you, he saw enough from him to make a judgment. Yet, he didn't give him a carry until he had to.

It's not a conspiracy. Two great coaches have decided for whatever reason that he's not a starting RB, unless injury forced their hand.

This isn't a Shanny/McD thing. They both seemed to arrive at the same conclusion, regardless of the circumstances and while I don't feel like digging, I'll bet there are posts from last year's camp reports that discuss Hillis taking snaps of some sort.

He also carried the ball enough in college for Shanny to have an idea what kind of skills he had.

McDaniels had a year of tape to look at, and doesn't seem overwhelmed with him as a potential starter.
i agree with that. Mike in years past was able to see a diamond regardless of where that player was drafted. TD, Gary, and Anderson all come to mind as the late round guy that he noticed and decided to give the rock to. i also found it odd, that he didn't see that in Hillis, when just about any fan could see that when he had the ball in his hands he was a pain to bring down and could do special things in this offense.

however on the McDaniels side of things, i don't think he has just overlooked all of Hillis' accomplishments. i think he has seen all Hillis can do and has decided not to just make him into 1 thing for the offense, be it a FB or RB. i think he sees Hillis as a swiss army knife type of player for the offense. a guy who can carry the ball a few times a game, and catch a few times a game, block for other guys and just create a lot of mismatches.

also with the Patriots method of using RBs, it is based on a RBBC as opposed to 1 feature guy. so even though the depth chart has him as 4th in line he is still going to see his fair share of ball handling duties.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Denver Broncos