The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default orton, simms back this week

Quote:
They divvied it up nicely, as they always do.

Veteran coach, rookie coach. Apparently, it doesn't matter. After the Broncos temporarily set their 53-man roster Saturday, they once again wound up with players at every position.

Another move will have to be made today to accommodate the expected return of wide receiver Brandon Marshall from suspension.

The first roster built by Josh McDaniels acknowledged his new spread offense by going heavy on receivers (seven, counting Marshall) and light on pure tailbacks (three).

True to the Broncos' new 3-4 defensive alignment, there are more linebackers and defensive ends turned outside linebackers (eight) than defensive linemen (six).

"The biggest thing about our defense this year is how those guys up front have accepted their (new) roles," said cornerback Champ Bailey. "That's going to make a big difference."

But no matter how a roster is comprised, it can be nothing more than names on paper unless a quality quarterback can lead it to victory.

And for the first time in a couple of weeks, the Broncos believe they will have two veteran quarterbacks ready to practice this week.

Chris Simms will go first. He got injured first, so he's had more time to heal from his sprained left ankle. He will be taking snaps today during the Broncos' light practice at Dove Valley.

Kyle Orton and his stitched-up finger will be held back until Tuesday, when the Broncos have their first lengthy practice of the week.

If the stitches on his finger and laces on the football can meld into consistent spirals, Orton will start the season opener next Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. Simms would become the backup and Tom Brandstater, the rookie who just finished off a gratifying preseason, will become the No. 3 quarterback.

Lack of reps with the first-team offense is the issue for Simms. Stitches are the issue for Orton. The index finger on his right throwing hand
Denver Broncos will likely remain sutured through the week of practice. There's also a chance the stitches won't be clipped before the game at Cincinnati.

Orton figures to go through some trial-and-error this week before finding his most effective comfort level. Wearing the type of gloves some quarterbacks wear in cold weather is a possibility.

If it's determined Orton should wait until his stitches are removed before he plays, then Simms will be counted on to make his first NFL start since his promising career was interrupted by a spleen injury he suffered in the third game of the 2006 season.

Besides the return of Simms and Orton, the Broncos will also welcome veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday, and brace for Marshall.

Holliday, who has played with Green Bay, Kansas City and Miami Dolphins in his 11 NFL seasons, was signed Saturday to give the Broncos depth on their three-man front that became necessary with the knee injury to Le Kevin Smith.

Marshall is expected back today despite attempts in recent days by his agent, Kennard McGuire, to help facilitate a trade with the New York Jets.

Today, Marshall is expected to become part of a 53-man team. If quantity means quality, the Broncos should be best this season at blocking (nine offensive linemen) and covering (nine defensive backs).

Like most teams, the Broncos have three tight ends, a long snapper, a kicker and a punter. Unlike most teams, they don't have one true fullback.
Post Poll - Broncos W's

Instead, the Broncos have three half-fullbacks (tailback-fullback Peyton Hillis, linebacker-fullback Spencer Larsen and guard-fullback Russ Hochstein).

"You would like to have guys that if you fall upon some injuries, they come in and play and you don't necessarily fall too many levels down in terms of your performance," McDaniels said.

Aside from the addition of Holliday, there were no surprises to the Broncos' initial 53-man roster.

The inclusion of Jarvis Moss was not a surprise given his encouraging performance during the preseason and the $1.96 million it would have cost the Broncos to cut him.

Other notable names on the cut list were Kory Lichtensteiger, considered the heir apparent to center Tom Nalen when he was selected in the fourth round of the 2008 draft; and safety Vernon Fox.
well see...either ortons finger wasnt as bad as advertised or hes just gonna do mental reps and stuff. no way he can play a few days after having his finger come in two. simms however will prolly start at cincy
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Well, I heard that Brandstater is starting so clearly this article is making things up.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Link?
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
Link?
it from the post this morning. Orton with stitches is going to struggle throwing that ball, I expect Simms to be the starter, Brandstater to be #2 and Orton the emergency QB
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
it from the post this morning. Orton with stitches is going to struggle throwing that ball, I expect Simms to be the starter, Brandstater to be #2 and Orton the emergency QB
I have felt since the injury that Simms would end up starting Week 1. Moreno must be ready to go with us only carrying four backs. Simms is still going to be bothered by that ankle somewhat - high ankle sprains tend to linger - so I'm looking at a pretty have dose of run first in Week 1.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Bad news...I was hoping that Tom B will start against Cin.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Bad news...I was hoping that Tom B will start against Cin.
Why? Because you want to lose and hand the Seahawks a high draft pick by the end of the year?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

We shouldn't expect the full story of course.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Why? Because you want to lose and hand the Seahawks a high draft pick by the end of the year?
Careful man, there is a crazy assed "Brandy" contigent running around here who thinks he is clearly our best option right now...

As for me, this is good news Orton and Simms obviously give us our best chance to win. (God that is still hard to say)
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I hope Simms starts. That would be cool, I'd love to see what he can do.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Yeah, because with Orton or Simms we are guaranteed wins, because they're both uber successful QBs with loads of talent.

/jerk off motion
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Careful man, there is a crazy assed "Brandy" contigent running around here who thinks he is clearly our best option right now...

As for me, this is good news Orton and Simms obviously give us our best chance to win. (God that is still hard to say)
I need a program, hard to keep track of the cliques.

The Negative Nancys

The Mindless Homer Brigade

The Spurned Lovers (Cutler?)

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I'm really curious to see what Simms can do in a regular season game with this offense. Obviously for me, Orton is the favorite of the three, and if he DOES play in the opener, that is just gonna generate huuuuuge amounts of respect from the locker room. Literally, the bones in the guy's finger were sticking out of the skin last week. Don't know if you can get much tougher than that.

Any way you slice it, I'd like to have the qb out there that gives us the best chance to win. If it comes down to Tom tom, then so be it. I love the fact that he's improved so much through the preseason, but would much rather give him a chance to let McD groom him in a different manner than trial by fire.

Whatever happens, it's FINALLY REGULAR SEASON!!!! I swear this has been the longest offseason ever, and I'm just glad time to start playin for trophy now.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post

The Negative Nancys

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?
Moopy Mafia?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post

The Negative Nancys

The Sad Widows (Shanny?)

The McLovers

The Brandy Contingent

Who am I missing?
The Blame-it-on-Pat Bowlen Flamers
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Seems likely. Either way it's good news if Simms or Orton is available. Starting a rookie in week 1 is a measure of last resort as far as I'm concerned, not something to look forward to.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKid A View Post
Seems likely. Either way it's good news if Simms or Orton is available. Starting a rookie in week 1 is a measure of last resort as far as I'm concerned, not something to look forward to.
tell that to the ravens or falcons last year.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #18
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
he is a low round drafted QB not the same.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
Obviously there are exceptions, and that's largely why those two got so much attention: rookies QBs usually aren't successful. Not to mention they were 1st round picks which indicates 1) they were considered more prepared to play at the NFL level and 2) their teams had more invested/more reason to start them early.

Agree or not, the Denver staff believes we have a couple solid veteran QBs on the depth chart (an option neither Atlanta or Baltimore had), and until Orton and Simms have shown they aren't capable, it's not at all worth throwing a 6th round rookie into the fire.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #20
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Having seen the ball Orton throws when healthy, I can only imagine what his passes look like with his finger sewed together like an old sock. I'm going to predict that at some point this season, Brandstater will start at least a couple of games. I've been reading up on this guy a bit. He's not the normal rookie hotshot who comes in with a flashy college resume, a fat contract and and questionable grey matter. For starters, he managed to digest four college playbooks under four different OC's...all while graduating early and earning a masters degree in sports psychology. How many NFL rookies arrive with a masters degree? In this draft, I think the answer is one. The primary knock on him so far is his supposed inability to grasp the playbook, but I'm betting he not only grasps it, he gets it every bit as well as Orton does. McD's primary weakness is his ego, which means he's going to have trouble moving off of Orton. But sooner or later I think he's going to re-think that this year, probably around game 10. Shanny started Cutler in game 12 as a rookie, and I think this guy sees the field by then also. He probably won't be handed the job, but I bet he gets a shot at showing what he can do.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #21
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
he is a low round drafted QB not the same.
What round was tom brady drafted in!? How about Matt Cassel.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Having seen the ball Orton throws when healthy, I can only imagine what his passes look like with his finger sewed together like an old sock. I'm going to predict that at some point this season, Brandstater will start at least a couple of games. I've been reading up on this guy a bit. He's not the normal rookie hotshot who comes in with a flashy college resume, a fat contract and and questionable grey matter. For starters, he managed to digest four college playbooks under four different OC's...all while graduating early and earning a masters degree in sports psychology. How many NFL rookies arrive with a masters degree? In this draft, I think the answer is one. The primary knock on him so far is his supposed inability to grasp the playbook, but I'm betting he not only grasps it, he gets it every bit as well as Orton does. McD's primary weakness is his ego, which means he's going to have trouble moving off of Orton. But sooner or later I think he's going to re-think that this year, probably around game 10. Shanny started Cutler in game 12 as a rookie, and I think this guy sees the field by then also. He probably won't be handed the job, but I bet he gets a shot at showing what he can do.
I think starting Brandstater becomes a legitamate discussion around the Bye week assuming a couple of things...

1. Both Orton and Simms have shown they can't get it done.
2. We are already behind the 8 ball from a win-loss standpoint.

At that point it is fair to see what this kid can do and to start preparing for 2011
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #23
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Only problem I see with Simms starting, if he's unable to move around in the pocket due to the high ankle sprain. He is not as good in the pocket as he is by moving around making plays. I would think if he's struggling in the game, or hurting alot and we're behind , McD would send in Brandstater.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #24
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Yeah, because with Orton or Simms we are guaranteed wins, because they're both uber successful QBs with loads of talent.

/jerk off motion
Who said anything about guaranteed wins? Just because Orton and Simms are subpar doesn't mean that Brandy can't be loads worse. Some mindless logic at work here, I guess.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #25
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
What round was tom brady drafted in!? How about Matt Cassel.
Neither started as rookies...