The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: Which is harder to build (takes more time and team resources)
A good offense 37 38.54%
A good defense 59 61.46%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Which is harder to build: Offense or Defense?

Vote
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

I'm gonna say D. Because the rules favor the O, and I think the D requires more teamwork.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Both can be difficult to build.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I said offense. I think they take about the same number of resources. Different coaches/front offices usually are better at getting talent for one more than the other. The big factor that made me vote offense is that the offense usually takes more time to develope. I have seen some dramatic improvements on defenses in very short times. Offenses normally need time to gel. Rookies also seem to play better a lot faster on defense compared to offense.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

The O starts with the franchise QB.

Then fill, LT,RB,WR,TE.

We had 4 of 5.

Last edited by watermock; 09-04-2009 at 08:36 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

I like lamp.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,889
Default

I'm still waiting to see a real defense
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I'm gonna say D. Because the rules favor the O, and I think the D requires more teamwork.
Probably agree, though I don't think there's a right answer. I know which one I think is more important, but both are a challenge to build.

Shanahan is a brilliant football mind, and over 14 years, he had no trouble building an offense but very mixed results, defensively.

Just depends on the situation.

But, an average offense can win a SB. An average defense? Very, very rarely.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I like lamp.
Linux Apache Mysql PHP?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Offense.

My main reasoning is that you have 3 positions (QB, #1 WR, RB) that account for a crapload of money. In the age of the salary cap, it's very difficult for any team to hold on to 3 superstars at those positions for very long.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

I said defense because it takes 11 good players working together, one weak link and it gets exploited. Offense on the other hand can be very good with a couple of super stars at a couple of key positions, think Elway and TD.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

defense, every year there is a another team showcasing a top flight offense, but it seems to be the same teams every year with top defenses. it takes years to build a dominant defense, a good offense can be created in an offseason by an intelligent coordinator who knows how to use his players strengths and hide weaknesses. an elite player or 2 can make an offense good. the same can't be said for a defense. defense is more about the collective group the entire team, if you are weak in the front 7 it won't matter if you have all world talent in the secondary. also with the rules bent more toward aiding the offense and limiting the defense it makes it harder for a defense to become good.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Offense.

My main reasoning is that you have 3 positions (QB, #1 WR, RB) that account for a crapload of money. In the age of the salary cap, it's very difficult for any team to hold on to 3 superstars at those positions for very long.
that's crap. you can win with mediocre offensive talent if you have elite defensive talent. look at the Ravens super bowl years ago, ****ty offense and a great defense, in fact their offense was so bad that midway through the regular season that year, they went something like 4 straight games without a TD, and still got to and won a super bowl because of their defense.

look at the Patriots. the supposed top QB in the league, a WR who had the best statistical season ever, and a good running game even though they never used it, beaten by a dominant defense

offense is fun to watch and easier to create, but defense is what will win championships and is much harder to make
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp
 
scorpio's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Linux Apache Mysql PHP?
nerd rep
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I said defense because it takes 11 good players working together, one weak link and it gets exploited. Offense on the other hand can be very good with a couple of super stars at a couple of key positions, think Elway and TD.
A "couple" of stars?

Elway, TD, Zimmerman, Sharpe, Schlereth, Nalen, Griffith, Rod, Eddie

That's 9 bonafide stars.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

The Chiefs are already showing signs of improvement on defense.

The offense....baby steps.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Another reason D is harder to build is because the defense has to react to whatever the O schemes while the O can focus on finding and exploiting a weakness of the defense.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #18
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
A "couple" of stars?

Elway, TD, Zimmerman, Sharpe, Schlereth, Nalen, Griffith, Rod, Eddie

That's 9 bonafide stars.
Talent wins O.

Scheme wins D.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

Hey TJ, since you are a Duck today, if I talk a bunch of crap and smack you on the shoulder are you gonna punch me in the face?
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,038

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Anyone who voted defense is not really well, smart. Offense is MUCH harder to build, always has been, and probably always will be.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #21
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Talent>System
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #22
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
A "couple" of stars?

Elway, TD, Zimmerman, Sharpe, Schlereth, Nalen, Griffith, Rod, Eddie

That's 9 bonafide stars.
OK look at the other super bowls elway carried the average team he had on his shoulders in spite of an unimaginative coach in Dan reeves (Run Run Run bail us out John)
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Anyone who voted defense is not really well, smart. Offense is MUCH harder to build, always has been, and probably always will be.
True
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #24
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Talent wins O.

Scheme wins D.
Chicken **** ≠ chicken salad in either case.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #25
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Anyone who voted defense is not really well, smart. Offense is MUCH harder to build, always has been, and probably always will be.
Nope. You're wrong.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Denver Broncos