The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default If Orton had Brandstater's game tonight...

Pretend for a moment that it was Orton under center tonight and he's the one who had the game we saw from the rookie, what would be the general feeling about the QB position going into the season?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

The general feeling would be it's the preseason, just put away the crystal balls and wait 1 more week.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Well considering Orton would have to throw it further than 13 yards to replicate Brandstaters performance just can't make that reach in my mind. Sorry.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

Personally, i'd feel surprised and have more confidence in him, seeing how he suddenly shows some accuracy and zip on passes deeper than 10 yards.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I'd be willing to bet that if it was Orton we saw turning in this game, this board would be choked with ecstatic predictions that all is well. The kid did just about everything right once again, and he had a 35 yard TD pass dropped in the end zone. If Orton was throwing the ball like this, there would be no QB controversy at all.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that if it was Orton we saw turning in this game, this board would be choked with ecstatic predictions that all is well. The kid did just about everything right once again, and he had a 35 yard TD pass dropped in the end zone. If Orton was throwing the ball like this, there would be no QB controversy at all.
But Orton can't throw the ball like that. That is why he sucks.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

And why Tom Bra- needs to be starting.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I was impressed with Brandstater in the sense that he's really improved since the first preseason game. This is one thing that I'm hopeful about this season.

Whatever you want to say about McD the person or GM, he has stocked the coaching staff with very good coaches, and I think we'll see this translate into better play as the season moves forward. Heck, we're already seeing it in places, especially on D.
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
McMastermind
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
If Orton was throwing the ball like this, there would be no QB controversy at all.

There is none.
McMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Brandstater's best asset might be his attitude. The guy just isn't remotely afraid of any of this. Unlike Orton, he's being held to no standards, and I think that helps, too. Dude can just go out and fling the ball and make things happen.

Also, people need to keep in mind that Orton is running a complete (or near) version of our offense, while Brandstater/Simms are running a lot more drops, play-action, etc.
McD threw Orton right to the wolves with the whole play-book, minus some deep stuff... and I honestly think deep stuff has been drawn up, but Orton has chosen not to make the throws on several occasions. (For better or worse.)

I like this kid a lot. He's got an arm, he's big, he's fairly mobile... and he's got a little swagger. He's absolutely not intimidated by the concept of starting.

Hey, McDaniels took him for a reason.... and I suspect Brandstater has made big strides towards being considered as a starter if Orton doesn't pan out.

Very exciting stuff.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
The general feeling would be it's the preseason, just put away the crystal balls and wait 1 more week.
Really
Orton doesnt look like Brandstater in the pocket and he sure as h3ll doesnt throw like him either.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
McMastermind
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Orton had Brandstater's game tonight...

Denver Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int Rating
T. Brandstater 16 30 187 53.3 6.2 2 7 0 1 58.6

.......I'd be pretty bummed. Thank God preseason is over.
McMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

The Mane would be imploding because he threw an interception, but Brandstater gets a pass.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Brandstater's best asset might be his attitude. The guy just isn't remotely afraid of any of this. Unlike Orton, he's being held to no standards, and I think that helps, too. Dude can just go out and fling the ball and make things happen.

Also, people need to keep in mind that Orton is running a complete (or near) version of our offense, while Brandstater/Simms are running a lot more drops, play-action, etc.
McD threw Orton right to the wolves with the whole play-book, minus some deep stuff... and I honestly think deep stuff has been drawn up, but Orton has chosen not to make the throws on several occasions. (For better or worse.)

I like this kid a lot. He's got an arm, he's big, he's fairly mobile... and he's got a little swagger. He's absolutely not intimidated by the concept of starting.

Hey, McDaniels took him for a reason.... and I suspect Brandstater has made big strides towards being considered as a starter if Orton doesn't pan out.

Very exciting stuff.
Nobody knows how much of the playbook McDaniels is letting Brandstater run and that's pure speculation on your part. If anyting, it appears that Orton is the one without the full playbook, sinc 90% of everthing he's doing is a screen, quick slant or something short.

Here's my point; A lot of people think it's a virtual impossibility for Brandstater to start, but Orton started as a rookie and the Bears won 10 games. Granted the defense and special teams deserve most of the credit, but the point is he started, and he did it in an offense that utilized mostly short passes. While this one might run more complicated formations, we're still talking about a low risk offense that uses the short pass much like the run. Orton did it...and from what I can see he's no great shakes after 4 years in the league. He himself is saying that he's not adjusted to the offense yet, which was supposedly why he got the job handed to him in the first place. It looks to me like Orton being the unquestioned starter isn't based much on his performance.

If Orton started as a rookie, is it so far outside the realm of possibility that this kid could handle it as well? I'm not really saying he should, just that maybe we might not want to rule the possibility out. The finger injury is another wild card. If it turns out we lay an egg in Cincy with KO at the controls...
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMastermind View Post
If Orton had Brandstater's game tonight...

Denver Comp Att Yds Pct Y/A Sack YdsL TD Int Rating
T. Brandstater 16 30 187 53.3 6.2 2 7 0 1 58.6

.......I'd be pretty bummed. Thank God preseason is over.
Yeah well the stats don't tell much of the story. He had several drops including a 35 yard TD pass in the end zone. He looked pretty damn good no matter what the line says. Besides that, he did it all without the main starting skill position guys and a lot of that was against the Cards #1 defense.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMastermind View Post
There is none.
I wouldn't be to sure of that. If we lose in Cincy with Orton, I bet it begins.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
The Mane would be imploding because he threw an interception, but Brandstater gets a pass.
yeh, the general feeling would be to pick at his mistakes. Though Tom B looked great tonight....throws a beautiful ball
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
yeh, the general feeling would be to pick at his mistakes. Though Tom B looked great tonight....throws a beautiful ball
Maybe...but if was throwing the ball like this, would people be as critical? He says he can do it. We'll see soon enough I guess.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Maybe...but if was throwing the ball like this, would people be as critical? He says he can do it. We'll see soon enough I guess.
C'mon, this is the mane, of course they'dbe critical.

I'll agree that Brandstater played beyond what the stats suggest tonight. He took some shots downfield that went for incompletions and again was working with the 3/4 teamers. Other than the pick, he made the right decisions and threw an accurate and pretty ball.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #20
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Here's my point; A lot of people think it's a virtual impossibility for Brandstater to start, but Orton started as a rookie and the Bears won 10 games.
I'm not ruling out the kid starting. Anything is possible. I'm just saying that 14 ****ing days ago, this entire forum wanted to cut the kid. Everyone here thought he was dog****.

People think Orton is ****, now... but I'm not sure that's accurate. I think he's done some things well.

If Kyle has a couple of good games, you'll see people here changing their tunes again. This place has no attention-span and makes rash decisions based on very limited evidence. Maybe all boards do.

I like Brandstater. I see something there. He's talented. I'm just not ready to dump Orton just yet. I think we've got to see more to make a decision. Orton deserves the chance to start a game or two, imo.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #21
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Pretend for a moment that it was Orton under center tonight and he's the one who had the game we saw from the rookie, what would be the general feeling about the QB position going into the season?

I personally put about zero amount of stock in game four of the preseason. Scrubs playing scrubs.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

You could fill this period a million times with the amount of stock that
I put into a performance in game four of the preseason: .

Not that he didn't appear to do well. It's just that it's game four of the preseason...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
You could fill this period a million times with the amount of stock that
I put into a performance in game four of the preseason: .

Not that he didn't appear to do well. It's just that it's game four of the preseason...
Agreed. But some things are noticeable even in preseason. The ability to make the throws, the command in the pocket, the confidence, maybe the ability to check down to other receivers...etc. I'm not saying this guy's ready, I'm only saying it's not like he's battling Peyton Manning and it's happened before...Orton himself started this early.

It would shock me if Orton doesn't start the early part of the season. I'm not so sure it would surprise me if somewhere during the year he's on the bench for this kid.

McD after all, does fancy himself the ultimate QB mentor...does he not?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #24
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Lets all relax. 4th preseason game- the game typically treated as a true and total exhibition game from top to bottom- (see Warner in the game for 1 quarter although the cardinals' O has been struggling) saw the Broncos score exactly 1 TD off of 3 turnovers and multiple other possessions.

Brandstater was good enough to win against a bad team today, but 19 points against an Arizona team that is a)playing terribly and b)treated this as an exhibition for defensive 3rd and 4th stringers is not much to get excited about.

Brandstater looks like he could actually be a functional, average NFL Qb. Orton is just that much worse.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #25
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd rather lose developing a rook QB behind center than starting a 5+ year vet that happens to be Chad Pennington's sister.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote