The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default What do you think is the best case scenario and what are the keys for that to happen?

Just curious to know what you think the best case scenario is for the team, why, and, more importantly, who has to step up to make that happen?

I expect that QB will be an obvious choice and for many that will be Orton but not everyone thinks it will ultimately come down to him. Some think Simms or even the rookie will have to step up.

Last edited by lex; 09-02-2009 at 11:44 PM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow, an actual thread. Good work!

At this point, the best case scenario involves us getting a deal similar to the Giants rumor. A defensive starter and a pick would be huge compensation for a guy we're not likely to retain anyway.

There's just no way we give Eddie AND Marshall huge paydays. Brandon is a sneeze away from Pacman Jones territory, and Eddie is just a smarter, safer place to put the team's money.

To make it happen? Some team has to decide that a quality WR is the key for them being a legitimate contender. Marshall carries too much risk for an average or rebuilding team to snag him, imo. Has to be at team like a NYG, Balt, etc.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Best case scenario based on the possible trade or overall for the team this year? I cant believe Lex is actually giving us a thread that involves the broncos w/o the crying....Kudos! Best case on a trade is a high draft pick (dont care if it is based on his performance on or off the field-Ill take my chances) and a player that starts. I dont need someone to replace Marshall in talent but either a good WR or another position that fills in a hold. If you are talking best scenario for this season, I would say we become a running team first and get Hillis & Moreno in there for many reps. If Orton shows he can manage McDaniels offensive scheme, open it up. Also, best case scenario is that we sweep Oakland and KC because other games are going to be tougher to win.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

There's just no way we give Eddie AND Marshall huge paydays. Brandon is a sneeze away from Pacman Jones territory, and Eddie is just a smarter, safer place to put the team's money.
Well reasoned.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that we've got to trade Marshall right now when his value is at its nadir. DEN can keep him pretty much indefinitely without jeopardizing the cap. Next year he's a RFA and it'll be relatively cheap....we could probably also keep him for one year after that also at the franchise tag amount before the situation becomes too financially prohibitive (although with Bowlen being a cheapass you never know).

Basically what I'm saying is we need to get something in the general ballpark of on field market value. It's clear that's not going to happen this season....or at least not until the season is over and they see him dominating again. It is only at that point that the Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones type owners will drool over the talent and overlook the other stuff and will then raise their offers to something that's actually worth our time to consider. Denver needs to hold off on trading him until at least next summer for that reason. If he gets in trouble again, or isn't as good on the field, then we didn't lose anything...the offers will still be low just as they were before and he'll be a RFA in DEN's control.

I do agree though, that its probably going to be too much overinvestment of resources in one position to pay both Eddie and Brandon and that all things considered, its more logical to pay Eddie even though he is somewhat inferior to Brandon (that's not a slight on Eddie...he's great...he's fabulous, but Marshall is just a complete monster).

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 09-03-2009 at 12:06 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Best case scenario for the team... hmmmmmm...

Buckle up

We suffer a ****ty season and there is NO clear skies ahead. I know people exaggerate or mock and claim "Oh, we're screwed for 50 years!", but we WILL be screwed for 2... MINIMUM.

This was a dip**** time to **** around with the core of the team, and an even dumber time to toss out your pick.

If we have a ****ty season, we'll have no first round pick to show for it, AND slim pickens in FA thanks to the CBA situation (extremely under-mentioned fact). So if it's one bad season, it becomes basically 2 by default.

Josh is ****ed. But who can feel bad for him? He literally put himself in every imaginable unflattering circumstance, and ****ed all of us.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

To me, the best case scenario is that we win the division. In order for it to happen, we need to get 150+ yards per game out of Hillis and Moreno, and win the field position battle via improved special teams and defense, and limit turnovers.

This isn't going to be a high flying offense, but it *can* be a very efficient one. If anyone remembers the things that Patriots fans were saying the first year that they won the Superbowl - they were underwhelmed by their team's offense, but marvelled at how they always seemed to pull it out at the end. They weren't flashy - they were efficient and they executed.

We play in a weak division right now. 9-7 might even take the whole thing. That's what the Cardinals finished last year.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Best case scenario for the team... hmmmmmm...

Buckle up

We suffer a ****ty season and there is NO clear skies ahead. I know people exaggerate or mock and claim "Oh, we're screwed for 50 years!", but we WILL be screwed for 2... MINIMUM.

This was a dip**** time to **** around with the core of the team, and an even dumber time to toss out your pick.

If we have a ****ty season, we'll have no first round pick to show for it, AND slim pickens in FA thanks to the CBA situation (extremely under-mentioned fact). So if it's one bad season, it becomes basically 2 by default.

Josh is ****ed. But who can feel bad for him? He literally put himself in every imaginable unflattering circumstance, and ****ed all of us.

I think you underestimate our division. Do you think we're as bad off was the Raiders and the Chiefs right now? I agree with a lot of your assessment about mistakes that we've made. But this division is as soft as I can remember ever seeing it.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Best case scenerio in my opinion is a long long long long shot. With Orton and Simms health and issue Tom B. steps in and does a remake of the Tom Brady situation in NE several moons back.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Best case scenario?

We trade for one of Alex Smith, Derek Anderson, Luke McCown or one of the other borderline starters who just got benched, and that works out alright for us(Yay pipe dreams!). This has about as much probability of working out as Orton does, but I don't like Orton. We rely heavily on Moreno/Buckhalter/Hillis to gie us around 2000 total rushing yards on the season. Royal and Gaffney do alright across from one another. Stokely does well in the slot. Our offensive line is as good as last year. Scheffler looks more and more like Dallas Clark as the season wears on(Moving further and further towards being a slot WR, rather than a TE). Hillis provides yet another receiving dimension. Graham continues to look like another OT out there.

Casey Hampton gets cut(If you snickered, check this out) and we sign him. He and Chris Baker rotate the NT spot, and we do alright. We trade Marshall for David Harris. Dumervil, Ayers, Moss, Crowder and whoever the hell else we can get after camp cuts provide an alright OLB corps to go with DJ and Harris in the Middle. Our DE rotation is alright. Dawkins brings back memories of Lynch in his first seasons with us. McBath does a good job deep. Goodman is the anti-Dre Bly, providing good coverage(Like Bly), but taking far less potentially catastrophic chances.

We go 9-7.

That's the best realistic scenario, and it's not that far from happening.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I think you underestimate our division. Do you think we're as bad off was the Raiders and the Chiefs right now? I agree with a lot of your assessment about mistakes that we've made. But this division is as soft as I can remember ever seeing it.
Significantly worse off than KC and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Raiders probably have us edged by 2-4 games this season.

Yes, dead serious.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

We play in a weak division right now. 9-7 might even take the whole thing. .
Everything that could have possibly gone wrong for SD the first 2/3 of the season went wrong. They literally could not avoid stepping on their own *****. They practically invented new ways to lose games.

I don't think DEN or anyone else can count on SD basically losing every little break, again. The law averages suggests that normalcy will be restored. Plus, they're getting Merriman, back. I think SD is going to win 11 or 12 games. The gap between SD and the 2nd place team is going to be like 5 games. 9-7 isn't going to win the division.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

I do agree though, that its probably going to be too much overinvestment of resources in one position to pay both Eddie and Brandon and that all things considered, its more logical to pay Eddie even though he is somewhat inferior to Brandon (that's not a slight on Eddie...he's great...he's fabulous, but Marshall is just a complete monster).
just curious. would you want Steve Smith or Brandon Marshall? because it won't be long before ROyal is mentioned in the same breath as Smith. he has that kind of talent and ability and will become an elite receiver in the mold of Steve Smith

Eddie has the talent and abilty to be one of the very best in the league for a very long time. he isn't inferior to Marshall, in fact if you go by the stats heading into their 2nd seasons, Eddie is farther along in his development than Marshall was. add in he has the attitude coaches and fans love, and the talent that just screams for the coach to find ways to get the ball in his hands. in 5 years, Royal is going to be seen as the better of he and Marshall, and will be better statistically as well.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Casey Hampton gets cut(If you snickered, check this out
Still extremely "snicker-able". LaConforna is the same knob who broke the "BOMBSHELL" that Jamie Dukes pushed. Teams coming off a SB, with a young nucleus. Casey's too hard working along with too talented for a team to lose before his play tails off, and though their back-ups have been pretty good, this would still be stupid.

Fun fact: Casey Hampton played WITH Shaun Rogers in college. What a bad ass pair of DTs, eh?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Significantly worse off than KC and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Raiders probably have us edged by 2-4 games this season.

Yes, dead serious.

I believe you're sincere. I hope that you're wrong. I suspect that you are. But I can understand your total pessimism if you believe that we'll be 2-4 games worse than the Raiders. I mean, the Raiders are a joke. I don't even want to think about all the complaints I'd receive about the "tone of this place" if we lost to the Raiders this year. I don't see how the Raiders could win 2 games right now, let alone be 2-4 games ahead of us. And as far as the Chiefs go, they'd be lucky to have their cupboards left as "bare" as Shanahan supposedly left our cupboard. We've got a bonafide budding star on every level of our offensive unit (except QB - which the front office completely and embarassingly screwed up, I agree).

But come on man... We're not going to be 2-4 games behind the Raiders. Surely you can find enough optimism to see that isn't going to happen.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Still extremely "snicker-able". LaConforna is the same knob who broke the "BOMBSHELL" that Jamie Dukes pushed. Teams coming off a SB, with a young nucleus. Casey's too hard working along with too talented for a team to lose before his play tails off, and though their back-ups have been pretty good, this would still be stupid.

Fun fact: Casey Hampton played WITH Shaun Rogers in college. What a bad ass pair of DTs, eh?
Jamie Dukes called it the bombshell. The story LaConforna broke was accurate. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm saying that our best case scenario involves us picking up a veteran cap-casualty NT who could rotate with/mentor Baker, and I picked Hampton because there of LaConforna's comment about him. That's all.

Also, yes. So, I'm sorry, they both played in a 4-3 in college?

Last edited by Killericon; 09-03-2009 at 01:02 AM..
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
just curious. would you want Steve Smith or Brandon Marshall? because it won't be long before ROyal is mentioned in the same breath as Smith. he has that kind of talent and ability and will become an elite receiver in the mold of Steve Smith

Eddie has the talent and abilty to be one of the very best in the league for a very long time. he isn't inferior to Marshall, in fact if you go by the stats heading into their 2nd seasons, Eddie is farther along in his development than Marshall was. add in he has the attitude coaches and fans love, and the talent that just screams for the coach to find ways to get the ball in his hands. in 5 years, Royal is going to be seen as the better of he and Marshall, and will be better statistically as well.
So Eddie's going to put up over 1300 this year?

Listen, Eddie has some great speed, awesome work ethic and ELITE quickness, but he's also small. That ectomorph body type of his WILL snap or at the very least get nicked up in the NFL.

Your parallel to Steve Smith is extremely applicable. In eight NFL seasons Steve Smith has managed to play all 16 games just once. ONCE.

Also, in 8 years, Steve Smith has only 2 seasons that are comparable or better than the 2 Brandon just put up.

I understand it's time to hate Brandon Marshall because we got video footage of him kicking a football, but this is just ****ing absurd.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Everything that could have possibly gone wrong for SD the first 2/3 of the season went wrong. They literally could not avoid stepping on their own *****. They practically invented new ways to lose games.

I don't think DEN or anyone else can count on SD basically losing every little break, again. The law averages suggests that normalcy will be restored. Plus, they're getting Merriman, back. I think SD is going to win 11 or 12 games. The gap between SD and the 2nd place team is going to be like 5 games. 9-7 isn't going to win the division.

Normalcy to me is San Diego finding ways to lose games. This is a Norv coached team afterall. I'm not saying that SD isn't going to present a problem for us. I absolutely think that they're our biggest threat in this division. I think we'll split with the Chiefs and basically ride the division neck and neck with them in a comedy race behind San Diego, where we could "back door" them when they end up Norv'ing a couple of games down the stretch.

Of course, this is all contingent on our own execution down the stretch. But being pessimistic about the prospect of this in September before a game has been played seems like a waste of energy, when you can just let go of it and see where September takes us.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I believe you're sincere. I hope that you're wrong. I suspect that you are. But I can understand your total pessimism if you believe that we'll be 2-4 games worse than the Raiders. I mean, the Raiders are a joke. I don't even want to think about all the complaints I'd receive about the "tone of this place" if we lost to the Raiders this year. I don't see how the Raiders could win 2 games right now, let alone be 2-4 games ahead of us. And as far as the Chiefs go, they'd be lucky to have their cupboards left as "bare" as Shanahan supposedly left our cupboard. We've got a bonafide budding star on every level of our offensive unit (except QB - which the front office completely and embarassingly screwed up, I agree).

But come on man... We're not going to be 2-4 games behind the Raiders. Surely you can find enough optimism to see that isn't going to happen.
You don't?

Every level of their defense is superior.

Secondary? For sure
Linebackers? Twice as good
Defensive line? Even without Burgess

Offensively, we have an OL edge (though with mounting injuries, that seems to be slipping out the door as well), and should maintain a significant WR edge if Brandon stays on the team. Other than that...... what? RBs? Nope. Quarterback stable?

And do I think Oakland will be a successful team? **** no! But relative to Denver...? we really are looking THAT bad.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Best case scenario for what? This year? Next? Down the road?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #20
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I thought the thread was specific to Marshall. Not sure why, maybe because it's been the Marshall Mane, as of late.

Best case scenario for the season is a SB win, of course.

Reality?

Improvement and some clear signs that a winning structure/concept is being put in place. Signs of that will be... improvement as the season goes on, winning a couple of games we probably shouldn't, playing fundamentally sound football, etc.

For example, this penalty bull**** we saw on Sunday isn't acceptable. Our ST's have looked very good, but giving up big plays that change games? Not acceptable.

Things like that.

By season's end, I want to have a definitive feeling that we're moving towards a franchise structure that supports sustained winning, and playoff football. (That means smash-mouth defense and running the ball when people know you're going to run.)

Plus, a lot of other intangible things that you can't really spell out... but you know it when you see it. (Chemistry, etc.)

I think there are 6-10 scenarios for this team that are actually pretty positive, and 6-10 scenarios that would be very troubling.

That said, I'll still retain a somewhat optimistic view that we can steal a few games, beat some teams we should... and wind up around .500.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #21
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Woah, Rev...Come on now. Royal, Gaffney and Stokely looks WAY better than anything the Raiders have. Even without Marshall, our WRs look far better.

Also, I think the Raiders can't be judged just in terms of roster strength. Their head coach beat up another coach. This team will suck.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #22
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
and 6-10 scenarios that would be very troubling.
Like how Seattle would get a top 10 pick for our leet nickel who just recently got burned by a bubble player that may hit waivers in a couple days?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #23
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Like how Seattle would get a top 10 pick for our leet nickel who just recently got burned by a bubble player that may hit waivers in a couple days?
Man, you're better than that. "Oh no, our rookie cornerback hasn't developed into a reliable player after a training camp and 2 preseason games! He's a MEGA-BUST!"

Your slant is showing. NOT to say that I thought it was a good trade.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Woah, Rev...Come on now. Royal, Gaffney and Stokely looks WAY better than anything the Raiders have. Even without Marshall, our WRs look far better.

Also, I think the Raiders can't be judged just in terms of roster strength. Their head coach beat up another coach. This team will suck.
That's why I said we have a "significant edge" at WR....

Regardless, Schillens looked really good and if Heyward Bey can learn to catch the football, they could be a legitimately effective offensive unit.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
So Eddie's going to put up over 1300 this year?

Listen, Eddie has some great speed, awesome work ethic and ELITE quickness, but he's also small. That ectomorph body type of his WILL snap or at the very least get nicked up in the NFL..
1300 yards, probably not. But, well over 1000, I'd suspect. Also, keep in mind... this system spreads the ball around quite a bit. Last year Welker had 1100 yards, Moss had 1000. (Given, we don't have a Moss-type unless Marshall comes back, which could obviously hurt Eddie's #'s.)

I do think we need another threat to take the heat off of Eddie, but I just don't believe we'll give Marshall Roddy White-money, which is what he'll want.