The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Preseason Play Selection

No secret that the Broncos are running loads and loads of Screens way to many if you want my opinion. Yet when the 2nd team comes in we rarely run any. If I was to guess It seems to me that McD is happy with how the 1st team offense is going to run his regular plays. I mean Denver did copy the Pats offense last year. It looks like he is really just working on getting the Oline and WR synchronized in the screen game most of the preseason. Then the 2nd team is obviously not as ready for the more complex plays tends to run a pretty simplistic offense. I totally expect a complete a varied and combination of these two styles once the season starts.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

at this point, I think Josh is aligning karma.

other than that it looks screwed to me.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

were going to screen our way to the superbowl
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongJohnson View Post
this

run, screen, screen, punt

screen, screen, run (3rd and 9), punt

rinse, recycle, repeat
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

What witty banter and amazing insight.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
No secret that the Broncos are running loads and loads of Screens way to many if you want my opinion. Yet when the 2nd team comes in we rarely run any. If I was to guess It seems to me that McD is happy with how the 1st team offense is going to run his regular plays. I mean Denver did copy the Pats offense last year. It looks like he is really just working on getting the Oline and WR synchronized in the screen game most of the preseason. Then the 2nd team is obviously not as ready for the more complex plays tends to run a pretty simplistic offense. I totally expect a complete a varied and combination of these two styles once the season starts.
Good theory and kinda what i was thinking...how many screens did we run all of last season?? It's practice if you ask me..at least i hope it is or yea...we're ****ed!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

The play selection is not limited by our offensive coaches creativity, it's limited by our QBs abilities.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
The play selection is not limited by our offensive coaches creativity, it's limited by our QBs abilities.
Makes a good talking point. Not true but still must be fun to say. First game Ortons throws did not seem sharp or "hard". Since then solid velocity. 4th throw in the Seattle game was deep down the field no visible problem.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
If that's the case Tom B would be starting all the pre-season games because we've thrown more down field with him in it seems...THE PRICE IS WRONG b****!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
If that's the case Tom B would be starting all the pre-season games because we've thrown more down field with him in it seems...THE PRICE IS WRONG b****!!
thats sorta the question though. is it that we were TRYING to throw more downfield with him, or he is just willing to as opposed to orton not even attempting it? thats something we cant know until the actual season. same thing as play selection, was mcd using preseason as practice to get everyone on the same page on certain plays, knowing we can zone block all day for yards or what?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
thats sorta the question though. is it that we were TRYING to throw more downfield with him, or he is just willing to as opposed to orton not even attempting it? thats something we cant know until the actual season. same thing as play selection, was mcd using preseason as practice to get everyone on the same page on certain plays, knowing we can zone block all day for yards or what?
They just use straight and standard route combos for Tom B. Nothing Fancy. Orton is not going downfield because they are working on getting the timing right on the screens.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
They just use straight and standard route combos for Tom B. Nothing Fancy. Orton is not going downfield because they are working on getting the timing right on the screens.
At the expense at evaluating our receivers and QBs against real competition when it comes to anything past a slant on the route tree? No, sorry. None of this makes sense.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
At the expense at evaluating our receivers and QBs against real competition when it comes to anything past a slant on the route tree? No, sorry. None of this makes sense.
What he said...

After watching Orton at practice... dude has serious limitations when it comes to the long ball.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Makes a good talking point. Not true but still must be fun to say. First game Ortons throws did not seem sharp or "hard". Since then solid velocity. 4th throw in the Seattle game was deep down the field no visible problem.
sorry deep down the field and orton in the same paragraph ....
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongJohnson View Post
Watch the pats two super bowl runs...lots of screens, three steps
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
The stamp on orton was he was accurate up close and weak down the field .... capt. checkdown ... know what I mean. So really what he should be working on is the weakest part of his game.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Fair point. I'd also add that as much as I do not enjoy complimenting McD, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a very healthy dose of screens in the base offense. Screens are a very underutilized weapon. They are:
1. A great antidote to the blitz or even a simply overaggressive front four
2. A sure-fire way to consistently get 4,5 yards to replace a flagging running game and,
3. An excellent way to get the ball to your most dangerous playmaker in space for big play potential when you are having problems generating big plays in other ways.

I'm glad that we are running a diverse panoply of screens. Each screen has a purpose. They aren't just doing it because they have a hard-on for screens. The bubble screens help to spread out the defense and force defenders to come out of the box to cover slot recievers. They'll either do that and weaken the interior run defense, or get killed by bubble screens with the outside reciever blocking the CB and the inside reciever on the swing since the OLB who elects remains in the box instead (or the safety who elects to remain high) is in no position to defend the route. See the diagram of Texas Tech's bubble screen below (called "Arc")

The RB screen is a great changeup when you've been calling a large number of 5 and 7 step dropback passes. You have to get the defense into the rthym of thinking its a deep drop and that the RB is pass blocking and then....boom, he peels out to the flat and the line releases.

You can penalize the defense with the outside WR screens as well. The quick WR screen (shown below as "Randy/Larry" in Mumme/Leach parlance) is most effective when the defense is playing off and conservative. That'll happen when you've got recievers you have to respect like Marshall and Royal and especially when the run game is working and they have to devote a safety to the box, leaving the corners on an island where they cant afford to be as aggressive.

When the cornerback is up, the middle screen (show below as "Lisa/Rita") is devastating, as the coverage is most likely man and the CB will get destroyed by the interior reciever on his block.

Actually, use of the middle screen in tandem with the common smash route turned into a great way to combat the popular 2 deep matchup zone as well. This started at Kentucky in the late 1990s. Teams went away from the standard 2 deep zone and made it a matchup zone. The CB would not just jam the outside reciever and play the flat, but would rather read the release of the interior reciever. If the interior reciever released to the flat, he would come up and cover him and the Safety would come off the hash to "lean" on a vertical route from the outside reciever. If the interior reciever released vertically, the Safety would maintain inside position along the hash and the CB would retreat, making it look more like a four deep three underneath zone rather than a two deep five underneath zone. Teams had generally attacked the standard two deep zone with a "Smash" pattern...that is a hitch on the outside and a corner on the inside...you read the cornerback. If he sits on the hitch, throw the corner on top of him, if he retreats, throw the hitch below him. The weakness of the standard two deep was the hole above the corner in the outside third of the field (Safety is on the hash) and you could consistently hit the corner route, because the CB would just sit on the hitch. But when teams started playing the matchup zone, you'd end up having to throw the hitch, because the CB would retreat when he saw the inside reciever running a vertical route. What they did at Kentucky (Tim Couch era) and what they now do at Texas Tech is make their middle screen (Lisa/Rita) look exactly like how their hitch looks on the smash route "98" shown below...notice how their version of the hitch looks exactly like the screen). If the defense reads it as a hitch in that two deep matchup coverage, the CB will retreat (esp since he sees the initial stem of the inside reciever as a vertical one, right before he comes out to block the cornerback)..which is GREAT, because he's expecting a corner route on top of him and he's hurrying to retreat to cover it.... and its really just a screen and he's taken himself totally out of the play. I expect Denver to utilize this in tandem with their middle screen much in the same way to open up their smash route against teams that play the two deep.

While McD is a douche, his heavy emphasis on screens is very helpful for this team.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 09-02-2009 at 11:31 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote