The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default ESPN - Brandstater to start vs. Cardinals

Nothing new but the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4438529

Brandstater to start vs. Cardinals

Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With the Denver Broncos' top two quarterbacks sidelined by injuries, rookie Tom Brandstater will start the team's preseason finale Thursday night against Arizona.
The start, even though it comes in the last exhibition, represents a dramatic turn for Brandstater, who watched from the sideline barely taking a snap in practice let alone the exhibition season as Kyle Orton and backup Chris Simms got virtually all the work.
Brandstater said he's spending extra time studying this week to get a better handle on the playbook going into the game.
"As a starting quarterback now -- that actually sounds crazy to say -- but I am starting on Thursday, and there's a lot of work that needs to be put in to be the guy," a bemused Brandstater said. "While the other guys are not here, I'm going to act like I'm the starter, and I'm not going to look back until someone tells me I'm not playing anymore."
Brandstater, a sixth-round pick out of Fresno State, played more than a half in Sunday's 27-17 loss to Chicago, leading the Broncos to two touchdowns after coming on for the injured Orton.
Orton gashed and apparently dislocated his right index finger when he struck a defender's helmet with his passing hand during a follow-through.
The Broncos were already without Simms, who suffered a left high ankle sprain during an exhibition game the week before at Seattle.
Coach Josh McDaniels said he remained hopeful that both Orton and Simms would be able to return to practice next week and be available for the Broncos' Sept. 13 opener at Cincinnati. But he also left open the possibility that one or both could miss the first regular season game.
"We're hopeful we'll have all our players ready to go on opening day, but again the timetable for that, I would be totally guessing and probably wrong if I started guessing about that stuff right now," McDaniels said.
Neither Brandstater nor fourth-stringer Ingle Martin has had a meaningful snap during the regular season.
McDaniels said Brandstater had a strong practice Tuesday -- the team's only major workout prior to the preseason finale -- and his grasp of the offense has improved significantly.
"He's a mature kid and he's really picked up on some of the things that sometimes take quarterbacks longer to do, run the huddle, get the formations lined up and that kind of stuff," McDaniels said. "He's getting better every day and that's what we like to see out of our young guys."
Brandstater saw his first action as a pro when he replaced Simms on short notice and looked overwhelmed, taking four sacks and completing one of his four throws for 1 yard against the Seahawks. But he appeared much more poised in his most recent outing, completing 8 of 12 passes for 110 yards, including a long of 54 yards to fellow rookie Kenny McKinley.
Brandstater said he can't really explain the leap in his play.
"I've tried to analyze it myself and I have no idea. Really, I'm still in the clouds, trying to get better," he said.
Brandstater did say that his confidence has grown since experiencing some success in his last outing.
"Something clicked," he said. "I felt so much better, and I don't even know when it was, but at some point, I felt like I really belong out here. I can do it. There wasn't that nervous second-guessing any more."
He said maybe he can even help the Broncos do something they haven't managed to do yet.
"We're 0-3 in the preseason and even though that doesn't mean anything, to me as a competitor, I want to help this team win a game," he said.
Notes

Rookie running back Knowshon Moreno took some practice repetitions for the first time since spraining his knee in the Aug. 14 preseason opener at San Francisco, but McDaniels said he's unsure whether he'll play Thursday. ... Running back LaMont Jordan resumed working out after suffering an unspecified leg injury two weeks ago. Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney (thumb) and guard Chris Kuper (ankle) also were among the injured players held out of practice. ... The Broncos released veteran tight end Jeb Putzier, rookie punter Britton Colquitt, wide receiver C.J. Jones and center Blake Schlueter, a seventh-round pick out of Texas Christian, to reach the 75-player limit.

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 09-01-2009 at 05:38 PM..
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

And so the legend begins....
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Nothing new but the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4438529

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With the Denver Broncos' top two quarterbacks sidelined by injuries, rookie Tom Brandstater will start the team's preseason finale Thursday night against Arizona.

Brandstater, a sixth-round pick out of Fresno State, played more than a half in Sunday's 27-17 loss to Chicago, leading the Broncos to two touchdowns after coming on for the injured Kyle Orton.

Orton gashed and apparently dislocated his right index finger when he struck a defender's helmet with his passing hand during a follow through.

The Broncos were already without backup Chris Simms, who suffered a left high ankle sprain during an exhibition game the week before at Seattle.

Brandstater saw his first action as a pro when he replaced Simms on short notice and looked overwhelmed, taking four sacks and completing one of his four throws for 1 yard against the Seahawks. But he appeared much more poised in his most recent outing, completing 8 of 12 passes for 110 yards, including a long of 54 yards to fellow rookie Kenny McKinley.

Coach Josh McDaniels said he remained hopeful that both Orton and Simms would be able to return to practice next week and be available for the Broncos' Sept. 13 opener at Cincinnati. But he also said there was no set timetable for their return and left open the possibility that one or both could miss the first regular season game.

Neither Brandstater nor fourth-stringer Ingle Martin has had a meaningful snap during the regular season.
It willl be interesting to see if the Cards put in their starting D for the first drive. Go Tommy B. - don't lost your job to a guy named Ingle...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Duh ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

And in related news, the sky is blue
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Don't we play the Cardinals every preseason? What's up with that?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

How do idiots get jobs who don't even look at what they're writing about? Is there anyone here who thinks Orton hit his hand on a helmet?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Seahawks, 9ers, Cards-regional. Bears?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Come on Tommy B......be the one that give us hope! Saves McD's Job! And bring this board back together again!!!!!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

they extended the article.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

This is B's big chance.

He can take over the job as starter with a solid performance.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
its because they like to give teams a final game with as little travel as possible.

Obviously it works better in some areas. You see a lot of KC/St louis, Chargers/San Fran, Miami/NO etc etc. They really do think about stuff like that.

Just another nugget of information to enlighten footinmouths confusion.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
How do idiots get jobs who don't even look at what they're writing about? Is there anyone here who thinks Orton hit his hand on a helmet?
i thought he did actually...didnt his hand get pushed by ogunleye into his own helmet? Am i remember this completely inaccurately?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
It was hard to see but I had not really thought about what he caught it on. Sort of looked like maybe the guys shoulder or upper arm? Something weird and unlucky.

If player gets crushed and put out that's easier to live with. But all these little weird ones we get last couple yrs just maddening.

at some point our injury luck has to change. But then again look around the NFL, tons of teams in same boat.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
i thought he did actually...didnt his hand get pushed by ogunleye into his own helmet? Am i remember this completely inaccurately?
I thought they hit hands. Kind of odd.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

mcd will get a look at leinart at least
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Take the job, Tom... And NEVER look back
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I know we are just screwing around in here but I'm excited about getting to see the kids play. This is what I like about the preseason. I hope I can find a good link to it.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I thought they hit hands. Kind of odd.
Wow, at least there was one other person paying attention. I guess I over-estimated the "reading" comprehension on the mane.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i hope he plays GREAT, goes into game 1 as the starter and plays like joe flacco last year
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #23
Dukes
Ring of Famer

We're not going to the playoffs, I've got no problem seeing what a rookie can do. On the bright side, he's not starting because Orton or Simms are stinking it up.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Take the job, Tom... And NEVER look back

Last edited by oubronco; 10-19-2013 at 08:05 PM..
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I know we are just screwing around in here but I'm excited about getting to see the kids play. This is what I like about the preseason. I hope I can find a good link to it.
Who's screwing around?

I know for goddamn sure I'm not:

TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote