The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka
Default Jerry Rice rips Marshall

Per FOX:

Jerry Rice saw the same clip everybody else did:

Brandon Marshall walking while his teammates ran.

Brandon Marshall punting a ball he should've handed to the ball boy.

Brandon Marshall dropping passes on purpose.

"That's something you don't do," Rice said Monday morning. "You don't drop footballs. What if your teammates see you do something like that?"

Suffice it to characterize Rice's reaction as offended disbelief.

"I never thought it would come to this," he said.

By "it," he means the state of wide receiver-dom, something he takes very seriously. "I don't think the love of the game is there anymore. It's all about me, me, me and getting that big payday ... Things have gotten out of hand with the wide receivers."

The position has a deserved reputation for having the flakiest, most selfish and egocentric players in all of American sports. And Marshall, whose antics earned him a suspension for the duration of the preseason, isn't even the latest in the parade that began more than a decade ago with Keyshawn "Gimme the Damn Ball" Johnson. Already, there are knuckleheads lined up to take his place, beginning with Michael Crabtree, who's still pissed off he wasn't picked in the top five.

"When I came in the league it was about earning your money, justifying your job," said Rice. "I always believed once you sign a contract, you're obligated to it. Or you work it out in-house. Michael Crabtree wants the money up front before he ever puts on the uniform."

Don't mistake Rice's reservations for resentful ravings of a retired man. He's fully aware of, say, Larry Fitzgerald's old-school virtue. But he also knows that for every Larry Fitzgerald, there's a T.O. or an Ochocinco or a Plaxico, or, before his improbable second act with the Patriots, a Randy Moss. Wide receiver is the new reality show, a production infected with pathological narcissism.

"We're divas now," Rice said wistfully.

The NFL's all-time touchdown leader, Rice had 1,549 catches and 22,895 yards (almost four and a half perilous miles by my calculation) spread over 20 seasons. While some players brag about their thousand-yard seasons, Rice got a thousand (in just 10 games) on Deion Sanders alone. Rice is more than the best receiver in history. Given the fact that Jim Brown played just nine seasons, he's arguably the best player.

That's not to say he couldn't be selfish. Or ego-driven. In fact, he had to be. They all do.

To do the job properly, one must reconcile himself with the certainty of the blindside hit, with the defender's intent to decapitate. You must need the ball, as the need has to outweigh any fear or doubt. (In that respect, I understand, even admire, Keyshawn's self-proclaimed ethos. I'll always give him that: he never cared about the hitter, only the ball).

"It takes a special man to tell himself, 'I'm going to catch this ball no matter what, no matter the guy trying to take my head off,' " said Rice. "You have to be willing to jeopardize your body. You have to want the football, and you have to want it when everything is on the line. Like Michael Jordan in basketball. A receiver has got to be like that.

"You have to be selfish."

The issue, then, is the expression of that selfishness. "I demanded the ball in game situations," recalled Rice. "But I didn't tell Joe Montana or Steve Young to throw me the ball. They could tell just from my body language. You don't distract the team."

You don't drop passes in practice. You don't embarrass yourself. And that's what so many of these guys have become: embarrassments.

The Brandon Marshall case seems particularly galling to Rice. He saw Marshall up close, just a couple of months ago at Fitzgerald's training camp for receivers in Minnesota.

"I didn't realize the kid was that big," said Rice. "And unbelievably talented."

Rice had a little aptitude for the position as well. But the greatest component of his talent like Jordan's was the ability to work harder, longer and more precisely than the other talented guys.

"It was all about technique to me," he recalled. "You don't see that anymore at the wide receiver position."

Such insistence on technique was partly born of necessity. In 1985, when Rice was a rookie, defensive backs were still allowed to manhandle receivers, bumping and chucking them all over the field.

Perhaps the new generation of receivers have been emboldened by the rules. I wonder if they'd talk so much if they were hit like, say, running backs?

Rice considered the question, but only for a moment. "Nah," he said. "Guys like Ocho and Terrell Owens still would've been the same."

And here, Rice finally seized on an explanation, or at least the beginnings of one. Perhaps it's not the players who have changed so much as the coaches who've indulged their expensive vanities.

Brandon Marshall, he figures, wouldn't have dared to drop balls under Bill Walsh.

There'd be no suspension, said Rice. "He'd have been on the first Greyhound home."
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Gotta love Jerry Rice!!!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

22,000 + yards is a lot more than 4.5 miles dipdong!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Good article
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

I hope our idiot WR hears about this article.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOSKIE!!! View Post
I think it is a little over 13 miles.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Listen to the man, Brandon.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Whoever wrote that is a dumbass. He should try 13 miles.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
TheDave
Sauced...

Normally when the greatest WR to ever play the game calls you out, it would leave some sort of impression.

With Brandon... I doubt it.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

I'm waiting for the Rastaman spin...
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Jerry did, on occasion, cry to the media about not getting the ball. But on the practice field, the guy was a legend. Watching clips of him in practice, he would catch a slant in a drill and, though everyone else was catching, making a first move, and getting back in line, Jerry would catch, make a first move, and sprint to the endzone on EVERY rep. There aren't too many WR's that are justified in giving advice to others about the position but Jerry Rice is #1 on that list...and probably #2 as well.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
lol good catch. In the guys defense, I think he was thinking 22,000 feet.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
DrFate
Lord of Order

feet != yards
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Jerry did, on occasion, cry to the media about not getting the ball.
He also took Steve Largent's number out of retirement when he went to Seattle. He was a diva, too. He was just more subtle about it.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Normally when the greatest WR to ever play the game calls you out, it would leave some sort of impression.

If Rod Smith couldn't get Brandon's head straight, I doubt that words from Jerry will do it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
He's currently hitting his BONG!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I keep forgetting Jerry Rice wore a broncos uni..even if it was just in the preseason
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
Okay Summer Breeze....here's Rasta's spin:

Jerry Rice's comments aside. Ready to play for Brandon does not mean he plays at his 07 & 08 caliber of play! For one, he may not want to do it out of protest over his contract. Second, the offense is in such disarray and the caliber of Qb play is a big drop off since Cutler was traded, Marshall couldn't duplicate his 07 & 08 seasons of production even if he wanted to!

All Brandon needs to do is run good routes and catch the catchable passes, look for someone to hit and allow one person to tackle him on every play....and he can't get suspended by that method of play; and he still gets paid. Its not like playing at his 07 and 08 levels of excitment and determinatiion where it took 2 or 3 players to bring him down.

He can go back to allowing 2 or 3 players to bring him down when Denver or another team are ready to pay him at least "Roddy White" type salary. Mean while, expect "Randy Moss" type of production out of Bmarsh when Moss was with Oakland and stinking up he joint.

So what good would it do to suspend Marshall out of frustration and b/c he couldn't duplicate his 07 & 08 seasons. How stupid is that idea!!

Meanwhile, when reporters interview him about his contract and his situation in Denver......Brandon can continue to reply "My agent and I are looking forward to leaving Denver and making a trade happen".....what can you do about that strategy

Remember, Bmarsh isn't the type of player you rebuild a team around. He's most effective and impactful on a team surrounded by talent, has a top 5 QB throwing the ball to him and on a team ready to win immediately.

Now of course Brandon will make a great scapegoat and a human target for a fan depository of frustration-hate-and smear. But when the dust all settles, we will all find out Denvers problems are more than just Brandon not returning to 07 an 08 productions.

Lastly about Jerry Rice comments. Lets remember Rice never had the likes of Orton or Simms throwing him the ball when he was in his prime. Rice had the luxury of having two consecutive HOF QB's throwing him the ball.
Orton-Simms don't equal Montana-Young. Not to mention Rice played on a team surrounded by talent!!! So had Rice found himself in the situation talent-team wise as Bmarsh finds himself in, maybe his attitude may have been different. After all we are talking over 20 years ago.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post

hell when the greatest receiver in FRANCHISE history tries to help you grow a brain it should leave an impression.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Rice played for Denver? I have forgotten that already.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
hell when the greatest receiver in FRANCHISE history tries to help you grow a brain it should leave an impression.
If you think Marshall gave a **** about what Rod had to say, you're crazy.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMagic View Post
I hope our idiot WR hears about this article.
Brandon could read it ten times and not learn a thing.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #24
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
That's pretty funny.

If we were Canadians, we wouldn't have those mistakes.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

What I don't understand from Marshall is at this point he is costing himself millions. His entire gripe is about being paid and now with his tantrums and unprofessional behavior he's not going be paid like a top 5 receiver anymore... unless Al Davis is writing the check.
jutang is online now   Reply With Quote