The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Default Some stats to ease the pain.....

I pulled these off of http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=9286

Now I know this is preseason and offense and defense are pretty vanilla, but you have to love our special teams play so far. That 1 punt to Hester last week pissed me off, but even the most elite ST units will screw up every once in awhile. And its not like we have to worry about that dude this season.
Not every team has a Hester type player.

OFFENSE:

During Denver’s last two games, QB Kyle Orton has completed 30-of-42 (71.4%) passes for 278 yards with one touchdown and one interception (87.2 rating). He is fourth in the league in completion percentage (67.2%) and sixth in passing yards (367) this preseason.
Rookie WR Kenny McKinley, a fifth-round pick from the University of South Carolina, has caught two passes of at least 50 yards this preseason. He ranks fifth in the league in receiving yards (165) while placing ninth in the NFL in combined yards (274).
DEFENSE:

Against the Bears last week, the Broncos forced seven three-and-outs, including on all four Chicago possessions to open the second half.
ILB D.J. Williams leads Denver in tackles (16) and is one of three Broncos linebackers with at least 12 defensive stops this preseason.
Denver is eighth in the league in total defense, giving up an average of 294.3 yards per game.
SPECIAL TEAMS:

The Broncos lead the NFL in kickoff coverage (14.0 yds., 8-112) through three preseason games.
P Brett Kern is third in the league in gross punting average (47.5 yds.). Rookie P Britton Colquitt, a college free agent from the University of Tennessee, leads all NFL rookies in net punting average (40.3 yds.).
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
The Broncos lead the NFL in kickoff coverage (14.0 yds., 8-112) through three preseason games.
Daaaaaaaaamn! That's new.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
I pulled these off of http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=9286

Now I know this is preseason and offense and defense are pretty vanilla, but you have to love our special teams play so far. That 1 punt to Hester last week pissed me off, but even the most elite ST units will screw up every once in awhile. And its not like we have to worry about that dude this season.
Not every team has a Hester type player.

OFFENSE:

During Denver’s last two games, QB Kyle Orton has completed 30-of-42 (71.4%) passes for 278 yards with one touchdown and one interception (87.2 rating). He is fourth in the league in completion percentage (67.2%) and sixth in passing yards (367) this preseason.
Rookie WR Kenny McKinley, a fifth-round pick from the University of South Carolina, has caught two passes of at least 50 yards this preseason. He ranks fifth in the league in receiving yards (165) while placing ninth in the NFL in combined yards (274).
DEFENSE:

Against the Bears last week, the Broncos forced seven three-and-outs, including on all four Chicago possessions to open the second half.
ILB D.J. Williams leads Denver in tackles (16) and is one of three Broncos linebackers with at least 12 defensive stops this preseason.
Denver is eighth in the league in total defense, giving up an average of 294.3 yards per game.
SPECIAL TEAMS:

P Brett Kern is third in the league in gross punting average (47.5 yds.). Rookie P Britton Colquitt, a college free agent from the University of Tennessee, leads all NFL rookies in net punting average (40.3 yds.).
Encouraging stats. Flip side: it's only preseason.

Just as I'm not gonna hamstring Orton with preseason stats and win-loss record, I'm not gonna promote the team's good stuff with preseason stats.

But, I do think the team is headed in the right direction on defense. Offense is still a big question mark, but I do think a healthy Moreno will help things out.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Definitely a smart move by them to avoid including the week one stats in their analysis.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Definitely a smart move by them to avoid including the week one stats in their analysis.
haha...i was thinking the same thing
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
That would have defeated the whole purpose of the cream puff stat piece.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
And smart to do stuff like this as well:

"Against the Bears last week, the Broncos forced seven three-and-outs, including on all four Chicago possessions to open the second half."

Good to know our starters can perform vs Caleb Hanie and we're willing to gloat about it....
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Outside of what Kenny Petersen thinks on a variety of topics, one of my favorite things I have learned this off-season is that we can draw nothing encouraging from offensive stats if they don't result in points.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Encouraging stats. Flip side: it's only preseason.

Just as I'm not gonna hamstring Orton with preseason stats and win-loss record, I'm not gonna promote the team's good stuff with preseason stats.

But, I do think the team is headed in the right direction on defense. Offense is still a big question mark, but I do think a healthy Moreno will help things out.
For offense and defense those stats dont carry much weight to me either. Dinkin' and dunkin' doesnt make me too confident along with no turnovers on defense. Our special teams play does make me breath easier though. Everytime we punted or kicked off the last few years had me holding my breath like when Plummer would throw from the pocket. It was just scarry.

I should have titled this thread,"Special teams stat eases pain". As the propaganda from the team site makes me sick.

Last edited by Broncos4Life; 09-01-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

With Orton playing at least a half in all games I can see why he would be high in yardage.

The thing about STATS they can always be manipulated
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
The thing about STATS they can always be manipulated

Thats for real. I love the temperature ones. They move it up and down a couple degrees to make the player look undefeated or close to it.

Brett Farve is 30-2 when its below 31 degrees. But he could be 15-10 when its below 25 degrees, or below 40 degrees.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Outside of what Kenny Petersen thinks on a variety of topics, one of my favorite things I have learned this off-season is that we can draw nothing encouraging from offensive stats if they don't result in points.
Funny. Many on this board claim we had a top 5 offense last season though we were only 16th in pts.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
Brett Farve is 30-2 when its below 31 degrees. But he could be 15-10 when its below 25 degrees
$100 and two lower level seats to any Broncos game if anyone here can demonstrate how both these statements can be possible.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

This should be fun.

Interesting thread, but the Mopey Mafia isn't going to have it. Sit back and watch the trashing begin...
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

None of them thrown by Orton.
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
This should be fun.

Interesting thread, but the Mopey Mafia isn't going to have it. Sit back and watch the trashing begin...
By all means... show us how these stats paint an accurate picture of our team.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Funny. Many on this board claim we had a top 5 offense last season though we were only 16th in pts.
That is because 16th in points is a team stat, not an offensive stat. Good try though. You have to do better than that if you want to discredit last years offense.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
$100 and two lower level seats to any Broncos game if anyone here can demonstrate how both these statements can be possible.

I just made up numbers

Baseball always uses crazy stats too. He is batting .440 with 2 men on during night games in december (i made that up too, please dont say there is no baseball in december)
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
That is because 16th in points is a team stat, not an offensive stat. Good try though. You have to do better than that if you want to discredit last years offense.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

So what, the Defense should have had more INT's for a touchdown?

Last I checked the offense scores points and the defense tries to stop the other team from scoring points.

How is the lack of scoring on anything other than the offense?
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Special teams and turnovers can make a HUGE difference in offensive scoring. Do you agree that it's easier to put up points when you start drives at the 35-40 on average as opposed to the 10-15 yard line on average? How many times did Denver start drives in the opposition's territory last year?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #21
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Special teams and turnovers can make a HUGE difference in offensive scoring. Do you agree that it's easier to put up points when you start drives at the 35-40 on average as opposed to the 10-15 yard line on average? How many times did Denver start drives in the opposition's territory last year?
Absolutely but let's be honest here man... Don't you think being 32 out of 32 in turnover differential had a little more to do with it?
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

So what, the Defense should have had more INT's for a touchdown?

Last I checked the offense scores points and the defense tries to stop the other team from scoring points.

When you look at 16th in scoring you are putting the blame for bad defense and special teams on the offense. That rank includes defensive and special teams scores. Go look at how they come up with the totals. Yes, they look far different if you only look at offensive scores.

So explain to me why it is the offenses fault that their defense and special teams didn't help as much as other teams?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Absolutely but let's be honest here man... Don't you think being 32 out of 32 in turnover differential had a little more to do with it?
Read my first sentence again. I clearly mentioned turnovers.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Which the defense is at fault for. They were one turnover away from having the fewest ever in NFL history. The offense was not on some turnover record pace.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
This should be fun.

Good post.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote