The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: 2009 vs 2008
We are a better team this year! 11 18.64%
We are a worse team this year! 25 42.37%
Better at some things, worse at others, its a wash. 23 38.98%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Default Do you think we are a better TEAM than last year?

Not record wise, but overall as a team.

I think we are, the only position we didn't get better at is QB.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

the D is better.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

Not now... Maybe we are by mid season, but as of right now we have gone backwards.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

D is better, O is much worse for the most part, ST is better, overall I think it's a wash, but with a much tougher schedule so we probably won't have as many wins.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBleed Orange and Blue View Post
Not record wise, but overall as a team.

I think we are, the only position we didn't get better at is QB.

I would agree i think
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

OUr defense looked pretty good last night. Despite the short field they were threw into thanks to Hester, they did a good job.

Cutler was lucky that the Ref's have a bonor of Orlando Pace, I have never seen so much holding as I did last night on Dumerville. That should have been a safety if Pace didn't cheat so bad there. Elvis was so impressive off the blind side last night. We shoudl be excited.

As for Orton, the guy will never be Joe, or John, or Dan, but he can be a solid role player that manages the team, a vocal elader. We need that more than anything. It's no contest Jay is more skilled, but he's a horrble leader. Wait until Chicago is down, we'll see how he handles everything.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Very tough to evaluate a question like this after 3 weeks of preseason.

What I expect we'll conclude after this season is somewhere in the middle. We are in the midst of a major change in era, so it will take time. We have lost our two best play makers (Cutler and Marshall at least temporarily) and we are flushing out much of the old.

I believe that this team will have fewer wins than last year's team. If that is your barometer, then we are going to be worse. But I think we'll finally have a foundation for a team concept, better personnel decisions, and stable schemes on both offense and defense that will allow us to grow in the future.

The last 10 years under Shanahan were nothing but flip-flopping between coordinators players and schemes so it was tough to grow.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

They are worse. I don't think there is much of a question about it. Did they upgrade a number of positions? Sure. Are they going to be better on D? Sure. It's going to be hard not to be better. Are they going to be good on D? We'll have to wait and see on that one.

But they are worse at QB. Much worse. I'm not trying to reopen that debate (it's kind of hard to answer the question without reopening that debate), but that position has had a major downgrade. Like Cutler or not, he was a major reason why a team with no defense and no healthy RBs nearly made the playoffs.

At this point they don't have Brandon Marshall. Even though everybody hates the guy at this point, not having him out there downgrades the position. I'm a huge fan of Royal, but he'd be even better with Marshall on the other side.

So two positions that they were very good at have been seriously downgraded. Have any of the other positions been seriously upgraded? I'd say other positions have been upgraded, but enough to offset the loss of Cutler and Marshall? I wouldn't say so.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Defense and special teams seem slightly better.
Both are not good enough to be counted on to win many games though.
That gaping hole at QB is going to cost the team some (if not a lot of) wins.
Overall, worse.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I think we are worse, but maybe for the better. Time will tell.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
darthbronco
Just Drafted

I miss 1997-1999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Defense a little better and offense worse? So about the same?
darthbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Despite how loud the McDaniel's cult is, it's interesting that right now there is a 4:1 vote in favour of our team being as bad or worse then last year.

It's pre season. There are reasons to be positive about this team. Unfortunately none of them have show up in pre-season.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Worse so far. Our defense is a little better now, our offense is much worse.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Better at QB? No.
Better at running back? Yes.
Better at WR? Depends on that dip**** Marshall. Loss of Gaffney will hurt. So, no.
Better at TE? Yes. Sheffler is healthy.
Better at Oline? Yes. Another year under the belt. Strength of the team.
Better at D? Definitely yes. Biggest improvement so far. They are playing with fire in their guts. Attitude is a huge improvement.
Better secondary? I think so. Not sure yet.
Better at STs? How could they not be? But, yes. Kicking looked good last night.
Better training regimen? Definitely. This will pay the biggest dividends over a long season.
Better playcalling? Have to wait for a real game. So far? No.
Better overall? Yes. The personality of the team is changing for the better. More energy. More cohesion. The response of the leadership (Champ, Dawkins, et al) to Marshall 's bs is indicative of a stronger team ethos.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Better at TE? Yes. Sheffler is healthy.
Better at Oline? Yes. Another year under the belt. Strength of the team.
Better at STs? How could they not be? But, yes. Kicking looked good last night.
Schef is always healthy, until he's not.

OLine? Dependent on two things: Kuper and Clady. If Kuper is going to miss a good chunk of the season or all of it, that's huge. And I'm honestly getting a little worried about Clady. He's already earned more penalties against him in the last two games than all of last year and he seems to be getting beat with some regularity. Sophomore slump or is it the fact that slow-@ss Orton isn't as good at bailing out his OLinemen by scrambling. Like him or not, Cutler's mobility was a major reason why their OLine looked so good last year in pass protection.

Special teams? They were easily among the best in the league early on in particular last year. Most of Prater's kickoffs went for touchbacks or at least went into the EZ last year and Kern was among the best in the league at punting the ball. To say that they are clearly better now is to only focus on the end of the season struggles last year.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

much much much worse.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

OLine? Dependent on two things: Kuper and Clady. If Kuper is going to miss a good chunk of the season or all of it, that's huge. And I'm honestly getting a little worried about Clady. He's already earned more penalties against him in the last two games than all of last year and he seems to be getting beat with some regularity. Sophomore slump or is it the fact that slow-@ss Orton isn't as good at bailing out his OLinemen by scrambling. Like him or not, Cutler's mobility was a major reason why their OLine looked so good last year in pass protection.

Special teams? They were easily among the best in the league early on in particular last year. Most of Prater's kickoffs went for touchbacks or at least went into the EZ last year and Kern was among the best in the league at punting the ball. To say that they are clearly better now is to only focus on the end of the season struggles last year.
Clady getting beat with "regularity"? I think thats a stretch.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

Forgive me for only being able to remember the Raiders, Bills and Chargers games from last year. I can't get them out of my mind. Arrrrrgh!

I still get the feeling that the intangibles are better. I think the Shanahan system had gone stale. But I'm one of the few on this board who has accepted that we are in a rebuild year (or two). I'm going to be patient.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

With Clady, I think it's a function of the defense having no fear of any running game, and so they get after the qb on every down. Couple that with a qb who holds it way too long and has the escapability of Homer Simpson, and MAYBE the newness of the offense, and you get Clady being---gasp--human.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We are far worse. Last year it took a ton of injuries to derail this team. This year we got derailed before the train was started.

I can't wait for the time that people stop making excuses and we can move onto a real front office.

I do like some of the stuff I am seeing from the defense. In my dream scenerio we would keep Nolan, hire an experienced GM that actually gets the GM duties, and get a new head coach. I'm not sure I would want to give Nolan the head coach job yet. My first choice for head coach would be cowher but I'm sure there will be other qualified guys the next couple offseasons. I think the biggest mistake this offseason was us not getting the GM.

Last edited by jhns; 08-31-2009 at 08:53 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #21
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Clady will be fine.
Apparently, the linemen downfield will be a "point of emphasis" with the officials this year.
Good thing all these screens don't require linemen getting downfield or anything...
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote