The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Alec's Thoughts

I had a few thoughts, some observations. Nothing too homeristic but certainly the pessimist crowd wont like anything I have to say.

1) I dont like the offense when Orton is in. Not because of Orton, but the playcalling. When Branstater came in we ran the ball, and well. I mean, we wrecked shop (until I turned it off anyway). My biggest complaint last year was that too often we gave up on teh run, and to date its been my biggest complaint this year. Run the ****ing ball, good things will happen.

2) The defense looks much better. I know people will point out the 98 yard TD we gave up but there were two times on that drive the ball should have been intercepted but it wasnt. Both times by Goodman I think. DJ just missed a pass deflection on a 3rd down play too. I mean, our defense played really well the rest of the first half. Cutler also made some excellent plays in that drive and benefitted by some excellent catches by his receivers too. Thats how it goes though. Sometimes even great defenses (and ours isnt, but even the great ones) will give up a long drive. We forced a lot of 3 and outs and compared to this time last year our defense is a LOT better.

3) Special Teams coverage remains a problem for the most part. The Hester return to the 4 yard line was a disaster and one we have seen all too often. That being said, I have seen some improvements in our overall Special Teams units that give me some hope in that regard.

4) Brandon Lloyd made a spectacular catch at the 1 yard line. I dont care what anyone else says, that was the most spectacular play of the game (with the Dawkins hit forcing the incompletion being a close second).

5) Eddie Royal is the best player we have on offense and that is including if BRandon Marshall comes back in the same form he was in last year.

6) Penalties killed a lot of our offense in the first half. I am confident that on our first drive of the game, had penalties not killed it we would have moved the ball down the field. In fact, Holding calls (mysteriously not called against Chicago even though Pace was getting owned and had to hold Doom on damn near every play) on our offensive line have to stop.

7) Doom looks great pressuring the passer but I was less than impressed with him in coverage. He's new so I will give him some time to learn this, but he needs work.

8) That over the middle mid range passing game is our weakness and Im sure by now the whole league knows it. Phillip Rivers will eat our lunch with that if we can't solve that problem.

9) Denver is better than both Oakland and Kansas City and our pick we traded away will not be a top 10 pick. Im confident of that now.

10) Any word on the injuries yet?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I had a few thoughts, some observations. Nothing too homeristic but certainly the pessimist crowd wont like anything I have to say.

1) I dont like the offense when Orton is in. Not because of Orton, but the playcalling. When Branstater came in we ran the ball, and well. I mean, we wrecked shop (until I turned it off anyway). My biggest complaint last year was that too often we gave up on teh run, and to date its been my biggest complaint this year. Run the ****ing ball, good things will happen.

2) The defense looks much better. I know people will point out the 98 yard TD we gave up but there were two times on that drive the ball should have been intercepted but it wasnt. Both times by Goodman I think. DJ just missed a pass deflection on a 3rd down play too. I mean, our defense played really well the rest of the first half. Cutler also made some excellent plays in that drive and benefitted by some excellent catches by his receivers too. Thats how it goes though. Sometimes even great defenses (and ours isnt, but even the great ones) will give up a long drive. We forced a lot of 3 and outs and compared to this time last year our defense is a LOT better.

3) Special Teams coverage remains a problem for the most part. The Hester return to the 4 yard line was a disaster and one we have seen all too often. That being said, I have seen some improvements in our overall Special Teams units that give me some hope in that regard.

4) Brandon Lloyd made a spectacular catch at the 1 yard line. I dont care what anyone else says, that was the most spectacular play of the game (with the Dawkins hit forcing the incompletion being a close second).

5) Eddie Royal is the best player we have on offense and that is including if BRandon Marshall comes back in the same form he was in last year.

6) Penalties killed a lot of our offense in the first half. I am confident that on our first drive of the game, had penalties not killed it we would have moved the ball down the field. In fact, Holding calls (mysteriously not called against Chicago even though Pace was getting owned and had to hold Doom on damn near every play) on our offensive line have to stop.

7) Doom looks great pressuring the passer but I was less than impressed with him in coverage. He's new so I will give him some time to learn this, but he needs work.

8) That over the middle mid range passing game is our weakness and Im sure by now the whole league knows it. Phillip Rivers will eat our lunch with that if we can't solve that problem.

9) Denver is better than both Oakland and Kansas City and our pick we traded away will not be a top 10 pick. Im confident of that now.

How do you know what Alec thinks, RockChalk?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
How do you know what Alec thinks, RockChalk?
He called and told me so I am relaying the message.

Dont shoot the messenger.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
AlphaOmega
Go C.U.

Pac 12 baby!!

How about Adam? what does he think?
AlphaOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

As of right now, unless Carson Palmer can't play from injury, we lose at Cincy.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I dont know this Adam cat you speak of
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Very fair and accurate assessment there alec.

Couple things I'd like to add...

Dawkins is a ****ing crazy man. I swear every time he was in on a play, he was flying through the air. Dude hits HARD.

I think kupe goin down might have had a little bit of an influence on our first half woes...but to what degree I can't say.

Brandstater (sp?) looked suprisingly good when throwing on the run. Obviously he's pretty raw, but with somebody like McD tutoring, he could turn out to be decent.

Really hope we get to see if Orton can throw a deeper ball. Without some kind of a threat, it's going to be extremely tough to run the ball (even with a stud like hillis, who continues to amaze me) with a stacked line all year. Dont know if McD is waiting to incorporate it INseason, or if there's a lack of confidence issue on either the qb or coaches part.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

This was Denver's weakest performance so far. The first team offense gained about 100 yards, had 3 first downs and a field goal in the first half. Orton threw practically everything in the 5-8 yard range. The running game had 9 yards rushing in at the half. The penalties contributed but so what? That's part of the game. Likewise on defense. You can look at allmost any drive and say, "What if _____ didn't happen?" Well ______ did happen, and once again...ZERO DEFENSIVE TURNOVERS. They worked all camp on this and we could easily go intno the regular season without havin a single take away. Wasn't this a prime Nolan selling point? Ayers, Smith and McBath are all playmakers...a new secondary too...yet we're now -8 in the TO department...not good.

Postives:

1) Dumervil looks like he's going to be hard to knock out of the OLB position.
2) Hillis again...why can't he get the starting RB spot?
3) Chris Baker held his own once more.
4) Brandstater...he looked cool and composed in the pocket and he can go downfield.
5) Punters looked good
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

This team needs as many reps as it can get and injuries are really slowing our growth.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Very fair and accurate assessment there alec.

Couple things I'd like to add...

Dawkins is a ****ing crazy man. I swear every time he was in on a play, he was flying through the air. Dude hits HARD.

I think kupe goin down might have had a little bit of an influence on our first half woes...but to what degree I can't say.

Brandstater (sp?) looked suprisingly good when throwing on the run. Obviously he's pretty raw, but with somebody like McD tutoring, he could turn out to be decent.

Really hope we get to see if Orton can throw a deeper ball. Without some kind of a threat, it's going to be extremely tough to run the ball (even with a stud like hillis, who continues to amaze me) with a stacked line all year. Dont know if McD is waiting to incorporate it INseason, or if there's a lack of confidence issue on either the qb or coaches part.
I still have confidence that McDaniels hasn't even begun to open the playbook, yet. While I stop short of calling him a genius, he is a very, very good offensive coach. There HAS to be more plays than screen passes and quick outs...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Good thoughts, Alec....

A couple of notes...

-I think Lloyd and McKinley are going to be tough to cut. Both of these guys are capable of big things. McKinley was my pre-season pick for surprise fan favorite, and I think he might surpass even my hopes.

-We did let Hester get loose, but our coverage has been excellent for the most part, outside of that. We really have been greatly improved on STs all around.

-Agree about running the ball. We've got to work this out. Moreno will help, but we've got to get this thing going. We've got too much talent not to be running better than we are.

-The penalties were insane. Just out of control. We killed a couple of our drives this way. Who knows what we do scoring-wise without those. I don't recall that as a problem in the other games, but maybe Ed H's crew was bucking for lots of prime-time face-time.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I still have confidence that McDaniels hasn't even begun to open the playbook, yet. While I stop short of calling him a genius, he is a very, very good offensive coach. There HAS to be more plays than screen passes and quick outs...
Their are "Deep" options available almost every play... Our QB is choosing not to throw to them.

During one of the many dump-offs, Stokely was WIDE open running down the seam.

Why, is the big questions...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

-The penalties were insane. Just out of control. We killed a couple of our drives this way. Who knows what we do scoring-wise without those. I don't recall that as a problem in the other games, but maybe Ed H's crew was bucking for lots of prime-time face-time.
Clady had an unusually bad day in the penalty department. I have confidence he can get that worked out...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Tonight

Quote:
Alec's Thoughts
Last Saturday

Quote:
Who's Alec? It's Adam or Rock Chalk
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Their are "Deep" options available almost every play... Our QB is choosing not to throw to them.

During one of the many dump-offs, Stokely was WIDE open running down the seam.

Why, is the big questions...
Why pray-tell? I've heard he has a big-arm all off-season and recently that he looks like Tom Brady.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I see people clamoring on about Cutler here.

Cutler put together ONE good drive. Yes, it was a great drive but for the most part, against DENVERS DEFENSE, he looked pedestrian. ANd even on his 98 yard drive, he had 3 throws that were terrible decisions and 2 of which could easily have made him a look really bad in this game.

When Orton went out of the game with a cut in his finger, his stats were, at the time, BETTER than Cutler's. Meanwhile Orton was playing against CHICAGO's DEFENSE.

I just wish we ran the ball more when Orton was playing. On the consecutive big runs with Buckhalter and Hillis, the lines were stacked, they knew we were running and we still got big yardage. That tells me that we can run regardless and we should use that **** more when Orton is in the game.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I hope you're right, because it just looked pretty blah out there to me. The first drive of the first preseason game, with all the different sets and variations, THAT was a more accurate indicator (albeit a small one) of things to come. I'm with you though, I think there is going to be a LOT more diversity in the offense.

I just wish we knew the reasoning behind it

Damn privileged information!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Cutler put together ONE good drive. Yes, it was a great drive but for the most part, against DENVERS DEFENSE, he looked pedestrian. ANd even on his 98 yard drive, he had 3 throws that were terrible decisions and 2 of which could easily have made him a look really bad in this game.

When Orton went out of the game with a cut in his finger, his stats were, at the time, BETTER than Cutler's. Meanwhile Orton was playing against CHICAGO's DEFENSE.

I just wish we ran the ball more when Orton was playing. On the consecutive big runs with Buckhalter and Hillis, the lines were stacked, they knew we were running and we still got big yardage. That tells me that we can run regardless and we should use that **** more when Orton is in the game.
Lol, if we can isolate the time from 6:53 in the first quarter to 6:36, Orton was by far the superior QB for those 17 seconds.

Lollllllllllllllll

Seriously though, "watch the screen!"
Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:

Agreed. Seems to me that Cutler made his living tonight dumping off to RB's and TE's also. If I remember right, the only "deep" ball he threw was incomplete.

I might be in the minority, but the fact that the defense didn't embarrass us tonight was a big improvement in itself.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #20
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'm upbeat about the team. I liked the gang-tacking. Hester had the one good return, but that was all Hester, he hit that little tiny seam, but they caught him at the four. There was no quit.

The team didn't get disheartened when Brandstater came in. I liked the change of playcalling, that shows the versatility of the O. Pitchout left, pitchout right, rollouts. Brandstater has some major NFL skills. I don't want to get too excited about the guy right now, but I liked his command, I liked how he ran the O. I liked how he took the hits from the passrushers. He took them right on his chest, he didn't try to turn aside, thereby taking the hit on his shoulder. Smart.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

Cutler led two good drives, the 98 yarder and the 10 play 58 yarder that resulted in the FG.
Quote:
Chicago's D finished 21st in both scoring and yards last year. You're point was...what?

How were Orton's stats better? He acounted for 3 points and we had 3 measly first downs while he was in there. As near as I can tell, he might have been responsible for 1 of those...maybe none. Eddie took a short pass 19 yards on his own and Hillis caught one...can't remember if he was past the first down marker or not. Orton did nothing but throw his usual 3 yard passes. Brandstater looked considerably better than he did.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

Not impressed with buckhalter..But the Defense was better than last season..altogether, we look like a 500 team..
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Was it me or was it obvious Pace was holding Doom in the endzone on the "almost" safety
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #24
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Not impressed with buckhalter..But the Defense was better than last season..altogether, we look like a 500 team..
i dunno, thought he showed some great patience in waiting for some of those holes to open up. Really looked like he had some great speed on the outside once he got a bit of a build up. Not super explosive, but smart imo.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #25
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I love Doom and all, but we all know there's a whole other echelon or two of pass rusher out there. We all also know that Pace is gonna struggle even more handling them. Should be fun watching Jay run for his life this season Paging Jared Allen, put your speed mullet on!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote