The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Dumvervil and the Dl-line

What a night for Dumervil. Is this guy quickly becoming the heart of our defense, or what?

Some of us talked a week ago about how easily he's made the transition to OLB. In fact, there was a nice contingent here before the season started that thought this system might suit him better. He's got to be accounted for on every play. Clearly, he's going to be a much bigger force for us than lined up in a 3-4 trying to push against a 350 LT on every single play.

The D-line also seems to be more than holding their own. Peterson continues to be active against the run, and had a batted pass tonight.

Reid had some nice pressure and while he didn't do much, I saw Ayers out there late in the 2nd quarter. Imagine if he starts contributing.

I love the way this front seven looks so far. There are still issues, but we look much more like a real defense should out there.

Anything you guys noticed from the first/second team guys?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Doom looked damn good.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Getting penetration on running downs with 3 linemen. Thats amazing to me.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I agree with everything you said, I was thinking the entire game how great Doom looked. Overall I am very happy with the defense right now.

My only concern is that there still seems to be too much of an issue with open receivers over the middle.

I know this is about the line but how great was it to watch Dawkins blast that WR to force an incompletion?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Getting penetration on running downs with 3 linemen. Thats amazing to me.

Makes all the difference in the world. I also noticed a couple of linemen dropping back into coverage nicely. Didn't get the numbers. Going to watch the first half again tonight.

Davis looks just like I thought he would... very stout against the run and a bit of a liability against the pass, but I think he's worth the trade-off.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Doom has been getting pressure on nearly every play. It's nuts. Goodman looks good too.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Is it odd that I'm seeing so much improvement with the defense, but the offense just looks stale? I'm really not liking the play calling for the offense, but maybe he is holding back till the season starts.

Or is not having Marshall really hurting us?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Makes all the difference in the world. I also noticed a couple of linemen dropping back into coverage nicely. Didn't get the numbers. Going to watch the first half again tonight.

Davis looks just like I thought he would... very stout against the run and a bit of a liability against the pass, but I think he's worth the trade-off.

Baker took Kreutz out to the woodshed a few times. A probowl- all pro center getting beat like a b**** by an undrafted rookie DT.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Doom has been getting pressure on nearly every play. It's nuts. Goodman looks good too.
He had a pick for sure, I think Goodman is going to be solid as hell
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

I'm liking this new-look d so far. Doom was a lot of fun to watch tonight against Pace. Although I thought the refs should've called holding on him on several occasions.

Last edited by Dudeskey; 08-30-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Defense looked quite good I thought. There seemed to be constant pressure and good tackling (save that miss by Dwill). Had a lot of trouble with medium range passes on that long drive, but hte penalty by Doom didn't help. The hyper-refs penalizing the offense certainly added to the staleness. Did we convert any of the series where we had a holding penalty? Orton looked fine I thought, not exciting, but a good game manager. No delay of games tonight either.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Anyone notice what McBean was up to tonight? He looked good last week...
Old 08-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

It seems like the "wait and see if we actually have any front 7 players that were just utilized improperly by a complete failure of a defensive coaching staff before spending huge resources on bringing in every defensive front 7 free agent and rookie we can get our hands on" approach might work out afterall. We won't be top 10, but I'm definitely seeing some improvement.

I can honestly say that the defense has at least shown some signs of being a middle of the pack defense this preseason, which I couldn't say the last two years.

Dumervil is a beast, Goodman is playing lights out, maybe even better than Champ, and Dawkins roaming the field, looking to take some heads off is going to be awesome to watch.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The D looked very good. Lots of things to like about it. I do agree with you GB16 the O looks really blah. It doesn't have the feel of a record setting system.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Dawkins's tackling sure is sick.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Favorite D moment was Dawkins giving that receiver "the full funk." Doom looked good. Pass defense still looks a bit shaky - that could be just a lack of Dawkins playing in practice the last couple of weeks, but LBs in coverage aren't great. First step to fixing the D is the DL - and they are at the least improved.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Baker looks like the real deal.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Surprised to see Baker and Woodyard still out there.....lots of playing time for them tonight.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Surprised to see Baker and Woodyard still out there.....lots of playing time for them tonight.
Can't wait to watch Baker again after reading all of this. Tough to key on one guy in a game like this, but glad to hear that he appears to be on his way to sticking.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Not to mention that I can't believe they didn't call a hold a Pace in the end zone early in the game. He held him from the front and from the back.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
What a night for Dumervil. Is this guy quickly becoming the heart of our defense, or what?
This, 100%

Quote:
Some of us talked a week ago about how easily he's made the transition to OLB. In fact, there was a nice contingent here before the season started that thought this system might suit him better. He's got to be accounted for on every play. Clearly, he's going to be a much bigger force for us than lined up in a 3-4 trying to push against a 350 LT on every single play.
Did you chloroform yourself? Some other drugs?

Quote:
The D-line also seems to be more than holding their own. Peterson continues to be active against the run, and had a batted pass tonight.

Reid had some nice pressure and while he didn't do much, I saw Ayers out there late in the 2nd quarter. Imagine if he starts contributing.

I love the way this front seven looks so far. There are still issues, but we look much more like a real defense should out there.
Really..........?

Quote:
Anything you guys noticed from the first/second team guys?
Literally look just as good as the starters... Larsen got abused several times though, that was sad.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #22
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Thanks Rev for bringing this optimistic thread back down to Earth. I was almost feeling good about our prospects again, but now I'm back to squinty-eyed pessimism. Thanks.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Doomer is going to Hawaii, he will be one of the highlights of the season.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #24
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Not to mention that I can't believe they didn't call a hold a Pace in the end zone early in the game. He held him from the front and from the back.
Should have been a safety, and goodman should have had a pick. right in his hands. Cutler looked pedestrian in everything but one drive at the end of the half. But, that's all the media will focus on.

Fan-fricking-tastic.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Ya Cris Collinsworth was practically jizzing on every player on the field tonight, aside from our QB's. OH HES SO GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Doom should be solid for us. Moves decently and he's short and stocky like some other notable 3-4 LB's.

Anyone else...well, it's like getting excited over the pile on the right compared to the pile of dog **** on the left, honestly. Hopefully the massive overhaul in personnel will pay off in at least slightly below average to average play this year.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote