The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Bowlen addresses the rumors that say he is broke

Klis: Bowlen says labor costs big problem for NFL

Pat Bowlen seems to be signing more autographs than he has in past summers.

As they say, the Broncos' owner has learned to stop and smell the Sharpie as he's getting older.

Bowlen at 65 is as fit and trim as when he bought the Broncos 25 years ago, although in the context of the past three years, he has surprisingly been battling the Monfort brothers for the title of Denver's top sports owner.

Don't bellow, talk-show junkie. Bowlen himself has said, in so many words, the bottom line in sports is not found on a financial ledger sheet but in trophy inscriptions.

And the bottom line of the past three years is a World Series appearance and National League wild-card lead will beat no playoff appearances and the uncertainty of a new season every time.

Funny how an owner's wherewithal is never questioned until his team stops winning. Except for the Monforts. Whether in good times or bad, their spending will be fashionably judged as inadequate. Just saying.

Bowlen, though, is relatively new to financial examination. The Broncos haven't appeared in a playoff game since the 2005 season, and suddenly the town rumor has Bowlen in debt up to his strong jawline.

"No. That's not true," Bowlen said. "I don't think this is a secret but we're about fifth or sixth in revenue in the National Football League. We might be seventh now as new stadium revenue comes in somewhere, but the point is, our revenue base is right up there. We hold our own in that area."

That doesn't mean Bowlen and the Broncos haven't joined the rest of the country in cutting back on expenses the past year or two. Bowlen's primary financial challenge lies within the collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated by then lame-duck commissioner Paul Tagliabue and the late union leader Gene Upshaw.

At the behest of the NFL labor committee Bowlen heads, the owners voted to reopen the CBA last year. This means if the players don't agree to anew deal by 2011, they might not have a game to play that season.

"We're spending 60 percent of revenues on player salaries," Bowlen said. "That does not work. It's not where any one of the 32 teams want to be. And so the labor problem is a big problem. That's not just a Denver Bronco problem."

The league as a whole needs a new CBA, Bowlen says. But the only problem Bowlen has with the Broncos as a franchise is it hasn't won a Super Bowl trophy since the 1998 season.

Looking back.

Want a good laugh? Google back a year or so and read commentary of those who felt the Green Bay Packers were crazy for trading icon Brett Favre.

Never mind Favre's subsequent washed-up play. Have you noticed what Aaron Rodgers has done this preseason? Here are Rodgers' meaningless numbers: 27-of-38 for 458 yards, six touchdowns, zero interceptions and a 151.1 rating.

Yes, it's only preseason but in the semi-significant first half of their three preseason games, the Packers outscored Cleveland 14-0, Buffalo 24-0 and Arizona 38-10. That's a combined 76-10.

Goodness. Wishing all the best to Jay Cutler, but in the Bears' season opener in Green Bay, he'll be only the second-best quarterback playing at Lambeau Field.

From miracles to Cutler.

Al Michaels, who simply had the greatest sports broadcasting call of all-time — Do you believe in miracles? YES! — is in his 24th consecutive season of announcing NFL prime-time games.

So it means something when he says Cutler's return to Denver tonight makes for one of the most intriguing preseason games he's ever worked.

"It's always tough to find a hook for a preseason game," Michaels said this week. "You can kind of make stuff up and make a little bit more of it than really exists. But in this one, I can't think of a preseason game in all the years I've been doing prime-time football where you're going to have at least at the outset of the game — 'What's going to happen? What kind of reaction is Cutler going to get? How will he react back? Are they going to try and lay him out?' — a lot of stuff going on here. For a preseason game, this is probably as good as it gets."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...476?source=rss

Last edited by BMarsh615; 08-30-2009 at 12:40 PM..
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Lex's theories: Another one bites the dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo
Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i always found that odd that he would be broke. i know a lot of his money is Real Estate based, but with the Broncos being a borderline billion dollar franchise, and with the stadium revenues, merchandise, and sell outs to every home game, it always seemed like him being broke was bull****. i am glad he finally clarified it.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

He's not broke...he's just been a cheapskate in the last five years or so.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Dude guarantees $120 million in one offseason and people think he's broke. Can we please put this thing to rest.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
He's not broke...he's just been a cheapskate in the last five years or so.
well when Mike has been flushing his money down the toilet on guys like Boss, our safeties from last year, the Browns DL(exception of Ekuban) and other turds, it is understandable that he would want to start holding back on the amount he is willing to spend.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
well when Mike has been flushing his money down the toilet on guys like Boss, our safeties from last year, the Browns DL(exception of Ekuban) and other turds, it is understandable that he would want to start holding back on the amount he is willing to spend.
Actually....Denver was 5th best in dollars per win ratio from 2004-2008 so there goes your theory.

Go Canes!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Browns DL was the last time our D was good.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I still think he's broke
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

How exactly did he set the record straight? All he mentioned was revenue. That's a meaningless number without knowing the expenses.

You can be #1 in revenue, but if you are #1 in expenses and the expenses outweigh the revenue, and your other business aren't doing so well either, then you are broke.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I just think that in the past Bowlen would deal with the Cutler/Marshall situations by throwing money at the problem. I also believe he doesn't want to pay 2 1st rounders next year and thats why we made that trade.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Browns DL was the last time our D was good.
sad but true huh
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I just think that in the past Bowlen would deal with the Cutler/Marshall situations by throwing money at the problem. I also believe he doesn't want to pay 2 1st rounders next year and thats why we made that trade.
That would probably be true of most owners.

The Rookie contracts are out of control and need to be reigned in.

I think trading Denver's first round pick instead of Chicago's was a calculated move to avoid a top 5 or 10 pick.

The #1 pick will be like a hot potato next year.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
That would probably be true of most owners.

The Rookie contracts are out of control and need to be reigned in.

I think trading Denver's first round pick instead of Chicago's was a calculated move to avoid a top 5 or 10 pick.

The #1 pick will be like a hot potato next year.
i hate when people say its a potential 5 or 10 pick, of course fool its a potential #32 pick as well. it was done because they saw a player they liked and wanted him, not to avoid using all tehir firsts.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
of course fool its a potential #32 pick as well.
Does that mean that Bob is also a potential husband for a top flight model?

That's what I thought.

Go Canes!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Klis: Bowlen says labor costs big problem for NFL

Pat Bowlen seems to be signing more autographs than he has in past summers.

As they say, the Broncos' owner has learned to stop and smell the Sharpie as he's getting older.

Bowlen at 65 is as fit and trim as when he bought the Broncos 25 years ago, although in the context of the past three years, he has surprisingly been battling the Monfort brothers for the title of Denver's top sports owner.

Don't bellow, talk-show junkie. Bowlen himself has said, in so many words, the bottom line in sports is not found on a financial ledger sheet but in trophy inscriptions.

And the bottom line of the past three years is a World Series appearance and National League wild-card lead will beat no playoff appearances and the uncertainty of a new season every time.

Funny how an owner's wherewithal is never questioned until his team stops winning. Except for the Monforts. Whether in good times or bad, their spending will be fashionably judged as inadequate. Just saying.

Bowlen, though, is relatively new to financial examination. The Broncos haven't appeared in a playoff game since the 2005 season, and suddenly the town rumor has Bowlen in debt up to his strong jawline.

"No. That's not true," Bowlen said. "I don't think this is a secret but we're about fifth or sixth in revenue in the National Football League. We might be seventh now as new stadium revenue comes in somewhere, but the point is, our revenue base is right up there. We hold our own in that area."

That doesn't mean Bowlen and the Broncos haven't joined the rest of the country in cutting back on expenses the past year or two. Bowlen's primary financial challenge lies within the collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated by then lame-duck commissioner Paul Tagliabue and the late union leader Gene Upshaw.

At the behest of the NFL labor committee Bowlen heads, the owners voted to reopen the CBA last year. This means if the players don't agree to anew deal by 2011, they might not have a game to play that season.

"We're spending 60 percent of revenues on player salaries," Bowlen said. "That does not work. It's not where any one of the 32 teams want to be. And so the labor problem is a big problem. That's not just a Denver Bronco problem."

The league as a whole needs a new CBA, Bowlen says. But the only problem Bowlen has with the Broncos as a franchise is it hasn't won a Super Bowl trophy since the 1998 season.

Looking back.

Want a good laugh? Google back a year or so and read commentary of those who felt the Green Bay Packers were crazy for trading icon Brett Favre.

Never mind Favre's subsequent washed-up play. Have you noticed what Aaron Rodgers has done this preseason? Here are Rodgers' meaningless numbers: 27-of-38 for 458 yards, six touchdowns, zero interceptions and a 151.1 rating.

Yes, it's only preseason but in the semi-significant first half of their three preseason games, the Packers outscored Cleveland 14-0, Buffalo 24-0 and Arizona 38-10. That's a combined 76-10.

Goodness. Wishing all the best to Jay Cutler, but in the Bears' season opener in Green Bay, he'll be only the second-best quarterback playing at Lambeau Field.

From miracles to Cutler.

Al Michaels, who simply had the greatest sports broadcasting call of all-time Do you believe in miracles? YES! is in his 24th consecutive season of announcing NFL prime-time games.

So it means something when he says Cutler's return to Denver tonight makes for one of the most intriguing preseason games he's ever worked.

"It's always tough to find a hook for a preseason game," Michaels said this week. "You can kind of make stuff up and make a little bit more of it than really exists. But in this one, I can't think of a preseason game in all the years I've been doing prime-time football where you're going to have at least at the outset of the game 'What's going to happen? What kind of reaction is Cutler going to get? How will he react back? Are they going to try and lay him out?' a lot of stuff going on here. For a preseason game, this is probably as good as it gets."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...476?source=rss
I'm not sure I've ever read anything credible suggesting Bowlen was broke, and as the author of the only piece I know of on this board that has taken a hard look at the research on his finances, I never claimed Bowlen was "broke". That does not mean he's not having financial difficulties.

This article really tells us nothing about Bowlen's financial situation just because he claims they are 6th or 7th in revenue. Revenue doesn't tell us what his profit margin is. It doesn't tell us what his long term debt is or how it's being serviced, which is a huge consideration given how he bought this team on credit with very unfavorable terms. It doesn't tell us anything about his other business ventures that have been folded into the mix with the Broncos, and it doesn't tell us what percentage of the Broncos he now owns as opposed to his family members. It also doesn't tell us anything about how long Bowlen is commited to owning the Broncos at age 65. Legally, once he does decide to sell, which is not beyond possibility...he is obligated under the terms of his contractual relationship to offer the team to Edgar Kaiser first at the same rate he's offering it to any other buyer.

And THAT is very much a concern.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

We'll save alotta money not paying Cutler and Marshall ... both will be due massive raises next year. If we off Marshall,the savings from just those two salary bumps would be immense.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Does that mean that Bob is also a potential husband for a top flight model?

That's what I thought.
horrible analogy, quit saying stupid **** just to say it.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
i hate when people say its a potential 5 or 10 pick, of course fool its a potential #32 pick as well. it was done because they saw a player they liked and wanted him, not to avoid using all tehir firsts.
The reality is that Denver's pick will probably be higher than Chicago's, and yes, Denver could, in theory have the 32nd pick.

Denver took a calculated risk when they traded....and Seattle probably held their feet to the fire as well.

There was a certain amount of confidence exhibited by trading the Denver pick ......expectations are important and send a message to the team.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

This:

Quote:
of course fool its a potential #32 pick as well
Followed by this:

Quote:
quit saying stupid **** just to say it.
Equals this:

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
This:

Followed by this:

Equals this:

you belong in this stupid **** posts too, with stuff like this. how does me saying that none of you ****ing retards have any clue how this team will finish this year, so saying its a top 5 pick is dumb, where as posts like this are useful for someone?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #22
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
horrible analogy, quit saying stupid **** just to say it.
No, its not. It's a pretty decent analogy, actually. It's more realistic than you implying that there's just as much potential for DEN to be at 32 than in the 5-10 area.

Go Canes!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
you belong in this stupid **** posts too, with stuff like this. how does me saying that none of you ****ing retards have any clue how this team will finish this year, so saying its a top 5 pick is dumb, where as posts like this are useful for someone?
Very useful... one of the favorite past times of this off-season has been people laughing at you. Keep up the good work, tiger!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No, its not. It's a pretty decent analogy, actually. It's more realistic than you implying that there's just as much potential for DEN to be at 32 than in the 5-10 area.
true, but to sit here and just talk like its a gauranteed 5-10 pick is dumb because it could very well be where weve been drafting the last several years, about #12 or wahtever. everytime someone uses that 5-10 analogy its because they are simultaneously talking about how bad this team will suck future is over gloom is upon us etc etc instead of reasonably looking that this team can win 7-10 games again.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #25
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

60% of revenues going to the players?--if that is indeed true--there is obviously going to be a lockout in 2011. The players will not be willing to decrease their 60% share of the pie and the owners I'd imagine want it around 51% -49% or sum such........try to enjoy Bronco football for the next two seasons...(despite our likelihood of struggling mightily these next 2 yrs...)
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote