The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default What is Tom Nalen up to these days? pretty neat article

http://www.masslive.com/sportsflash/...ylist=football

Coaching breaks Nalen's silence
8/29/2009, 4:00 a.m. EDT
TERRY FREI
The Associated Press

(AP) DENVER - A young Denver South High football player, cherubic and baby-faced, approached the Rebels' first-year offensive line coach shortly before a recent practice. "Coach," he said, tapping his sternum, "these pads just don't feel right."

The rookie coach lifted up the player's practice jersey and began tugging, adjusting and tightening the young man's shoulder pad straps. The coach smiled and said he already had learned and accepted that such tasks come with the territory.

The player looked at the coach's visitor, then nodded at the coach and asked, "He's rich, isn't he?"

Standards are relative. But the rookie coach, former Broncos standout center Tom Nalen, retired in January after 15 seasons in the NFL. Unlike his former teammate Brandon Marshall, Nalen is completely satisfied with the salary he will receive for the 2009 football season.

Absolutely nothing.

His reward? The invigorating feeling he gets from coaching young players at the Denver high school, which is a magnet for students for whom English is their second language. He began working with the Rebels, under head coach Tony Lindsay Sr., early this year, with the eighth-grade team in a "futures" program sponsored by the Broncos and the NFL.

"We had an awesome eighth-grade team, and most of those guys are out here now," said Nalen, a Massachusetts native who joined the Broncos in 1994 after playing at Boston College. "I've been telling people that after those three months, I feel like I wasted 15 years of my life in the NFL and feel so much better about where I'm at as a person, contributing to society as opposed to playing football."

Nalen, the last link on the field to the Broncos' back-to-back Super Bowl championship teams in the 1997 and 1998 seasons, retired in January. He didn't play at all last season because of a knee problem. He was on the field only sparingly in 2007 because of a biceps tear. After his retirement, he and his wife, Denise, and their three children were committed to remaining in the Denver area. He began contacting area high school coaches, making it clear money was no object, because he didn't expect to be paid.

"I didn't want to be a head coach," he said. "I just wanted to coach the offensive line."

Go to the link to read the rest of the article
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cool article, thanks for sharing it!

favorite part:

Quote:
And will his linemen be allowed to speak to reporters?

"I hope they get an opportunity to talk to the media," Nalen said. "I hope they're doing that well. But if the chance comes, there's no way they're talking."

Last edited by s0phr0syne; 08-30-2009 at 11:22 AM..
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

nalen and rod smith represent true denver broncos. marshall and jay cutler? not so much.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Tom Nalen is my all-time favorite Bronco.

Go Big Nails!
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

one of toughest and meanest dudes of all time. love him
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Wow awesome to see him doing well! A true Bronco stud, I really hope that he keeps his word with those kids and sticks around. He can become a great mentor for them and future kids.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote