The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Time to try Scheffler at WR?

It's been mentioned in here before...seems like a good time to experiment with this now. Eddie's gonne see a ton of double coverage. He's got the size and enough speed to be a threat and apparently the TE won't be involved as much in the passing game anyway.

Discuss.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I don't see the benefit.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Paladin
Ring of Famer

No. He is best at beating the LBs, and CBs may be another story for him. He is big, but not as fast as CBs. I would say that the idea has virtually no chanace of being implemented unless the WR corps ws badly undermanned. That is not presently the case.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
orange 4 life
Old School Orange

Home team qb homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
It's been mentioned in here before...seems like a good time to experiment with this now. Eddie's gonne see a ton of double coverage. He's got the size and enough speed to be a threat and apparently the TE won't be involved as much in the passing game anyway.

Discuss.
He just doesn't have the speed to play WR, but playing him in the slot in 3-5 wide situations would make alot of sense.
orange 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
meangene
Ring of Famer

Not at WR but I do see more use of him in two TE sets and splitting him out to create mismatches out of the regular set as well. I think that was already in the plans anyway. I honestly think we have at least three solid wideouts in Royal, Gaffney and Stokley. I also like McKinley from what I have seen so far. Lloyd returns this week after looking pretty good up until he got dinged and there is still Chad Jackson. The cupboard is far from bare at WR.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

He'll line up all over of course .... the name you give to his position is not really relevant.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

He should be a red zone target for sure--put him on the perimeter @ WR and throw it up to him........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

It might not be a bad idea to have a big, quick blocker in all those slot screen plays McD likes to run.

He's quick for his size, and he's what, about 6'5" 240? So he is about the size of B-Marsh and Shannon Sharpe, both of whom have played at the WR spot for Denver.

The defense can't ALWAYS come out in the Nickel package, and Scheffler at WR could cause some matchup problems, especially when the defense is trying to read run v pass.

I say it's a good idea.

EDIT - Sharpe STARTED OUT at WR and was moved to TE.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I wouldn't mind Tony taking over Marshall's roll.

He's not the "best" blocker either, so Graham and Quinn taking over the TE roles and Tony being a WR is something I think would work out.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I wouldn't mind Tony taking over Marshall's roll.

He's not the "best" blocker either, so Graham and Quinn taking over the TE roles and Tony being a WR is something I think would work out.
That's where I'd see Tony - in a similar role to Marshall. Especially since that role has kind of diminished with the new system.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
That's where I'd see Tony - in a similar role to Marshall. Especially since that role has kind of diminished with the new system.
Not to mention it gets Quinn some great experience.

I think this move is a necessity to be honest.

I was actually an advocate for it before free agency.

I wanted a 3 WR set of Marshall, Tony, and Royal... obviously it would be Tony, Jabar, Royal or Tony, Stokes, Royal now.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I do think Marshall will be back, though. This year, maybe not next though.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

As I recall, Scheffler's combine numbers had him running a 4.55 40, which while not blazing, is as good as quite few NFL receivers. Wasn't Marshall clocking a 4.49 or something? 6'5", 250...almost 20 pounds heavier than Marshall, good hands...seems like a close approximation to what we're losing, at least in terms of the physical measurables. Whether he can stand up to a heavy load or not is my main question.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
As I recall, Scheffler's combine numbers had him running a 4.55 40, which while not blazing, is as good as quite few NFL receivers. Wasn't Marshall clocking a 4.49 or something? 6'5", 250...almost 20 pounds heavier than Marshall, good hands...seems like a close approximation to what we're losing, at least in terms of the physical measurables. Whether he can stand up to a heavy load or not is my main question.
That's how I see it. And for football players, it's a lot easier to drop weight than gain it.

I'm intrigued to see Scheffler's role in this offense. I can definitely see him playing the flanker on crossing routes and slot screens, and we're not going to be setting up the deep ball that often, so I think he can make a fine WR.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

it may mean more creative ways to start big, then motion TE and RBS out wide to get mismatches. But no I wouldnt like the idea of just lining Sheff out wide. He's not a wr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
Williams
Pro Bowler

Sounds like a good idea to me. With Marshall gone we're missing that big, physical presence at the position. Like you said, he's got the speed... and we're already set at TE with Graham & Quinn. Why not?
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
He'll line up all over of course .... the name you give to his position is not really relevant.
exactly
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't personally recall Scheffler being anything after the catch. I recall some crazy catches but almost never a catch and run. Am I mistaken here? Without YAC ability, you can't do the quick screen plays that Marchall was good at.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Sheffler is big, good speed and nice hands. Get him on the field to create matchup issues. Either at TE, FB or WR.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Use him like Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley...All over the place.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
Popps
It's so easy

I posted last night that I think he'll be seeing more balls thrown his way because of Marshall's eventual, likely departure or benching. We'll need some physical receivers out there from time to time.

Though, NE's system really hasn't relied on the giant, mauler-type receiver much in the past 5 years or so. Moss is certainly a tall guy, and gifted... but not a physical receiver.

Still, I think we'll see Sheffler being used to create mismatches quite often. That's what our offense is all about. That's why we have to have smart, versatile players.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
i would like to see him lined up wide getting the screen passes that Marshall would have gotten. he is far to big and strong for a DB to cover 1 on 1 on those routes, and that would cause mismatches all over the field.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Straight line speed is one thing. You have to worry if Scheffler is nimble enough to run routes with sharp angles like a real WR. Just think about Scheffler's recent fumble where he lost the ball just as he was trying to turn upfield after catching a pass. Did that look familiar to anyone? It should have. It was similar to a play last year (against the Jags I think), where he lost the ball in similar situation. I think there are some routes he would be ok at like a button hook and a post maybe, but something like on out can be a problem.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Straight line speed is one thing. You have to worry if Scheffler is nimble enough to run routes with sharp angles like a real WR. Just think about Scheffler's recent fumble where he lost the ball just as he was trying to turn upfield after catching a pass. Did that look familiar to anyone? It should have. It was similar to a play last year (against the Jags I think), where he lost the ball in similar situation. I think there are some routes he would be ok at like a button hook and a post maybe, but something like on out can be a problem.
i'd like to see him on the receiving end of the screen passes we seem to be throwing all the time. he is too big and strong for DBs and would force defenses to cover him with a LB which takes them out of their confort zone and gives Scheff advantages either way.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
the 40 is the worst judge of player speed in my opinion. in what situation is a player ever going all out in a straight line. the shuttle speed is what is the better judge of speed, tells how fast a player can make cuts and how good their feet are.