The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default Chiefs Inside Source: Marshall And Bowe In Similar Circumstances

Your favorite reporter is back at it.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Chiefs-In...79913?as=96399

Right now, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley is in the midst of showing his top wide receiver Dwayne Bowe who is boss, while Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels is doing the same with Brandon Marshall.

“It’s the same argument with Haley and Bowe as it is with McDaniels and Marshall. It is a power struggle where both coaches are saying I’m not giving into you because I don’t have to, and you’ll be a better player for it. Both coaches are reading from the same speech it seems,” said a well-placed source within the Chiefs organization Monday.

On the Broncos side, Marshall is a newly-minted Pro Bowler with two 1,200 plus yard seasons to his resume. However, he was listed as a second string player on the release of the Broncos’ first depth chart, and was practicing with the scout team coming into Tuesday’s workout.

On the Chiefs side, Bowe is the team’s 2007 first rounder who led all rookie receivers his first season in all main categories, and who practically has two 1,000 yard seasons as the team's best wide receiver as well (Bowe 995 receiving yards in '07). Ironically though Bowe was listed as a third team player on the Chiefs first depth chart, and still was coming into Tuesday’s workout.

Now, even though Marshall recently told Michael Irvin on his radio show that he thinks McDaniels is a good coach, in my opinion he doesn't hold the man at the helm in that high of esteem. These days Marshall is ever mindful of what he says on the record with his money more at stake.

Despite the fact sources still say Marshall is remaining “cool” about not traveling to Seattle for the team's second preseason game, I believe the fact Marshall was made to watch the game back in Denver is further evidence of friction between the two.

As for Bowe’s current relationship with Haley after being benched in their first preseason game against the Houston Texans, and then playing with the first team offense against the Vikings?

“I would say there is definitely some lingering animosity between the two (despite Bowe’s current improving situation.) (Bowe’s) emotion is what it is. But the bottom line is, just like in Denver there is a big push to make sure people have new attitudes, and D-Bo is a part of that residue,” the Chiefs insider continued.

In reaction to the upheaval with Bowe’s benching, a lot of reports are surfacing that speculate Bowe is on the block, while Marshall trade talks continues as well.

So what's the likelihood either player will depart in the eyes of this Chiefs insider?

“In Bowe’s case I’d say zero. He is not going anywhere right now.”

This source’s answer is not from someone in the organization directly declaring that within their earshot; it comes from their analysis of the team’s current situation.

“Nobody specifically has said (Bowe wont get traded) for sure, but I just think where we are at receiver, it would be stupid.”

As for Brandon Marshall?

“I’d say for Marshall, 30 percent chance they move him. That is only because the Broncos have proven they would move a player of significant caliber for more of an unknown. I don’t want to bash (Kyle) Orton because I do believe he is a capable quarterback, I just don’t know that he is the franchise guy I want running my operation. The Broncos had an elite quarterback in Jay Cutler, and you moved him for a non-elite quarterback. That makes absolutely no sense to me.”

“As for as the Chiefs right now, we are not going to send Dwayne Bowe for a second or third (round) pick, for some mythical unknown in the future when right now our team needs help.”

But wait a minute, didn’t the Chiefs do exactly that with tight end Tony Gonzalez back in April after sending their Pro Bowl wide receiver to Atlanta for a second-rounder?

“When we got the pick for Tony we were going into the offseason. We were going into making selections and changing our roster. Now we are at a different point in the season. If we were going to chalk this year up, maybe a trade makes sense, but I just don’t see us throwing in the towel at this juncture. There has to be some improvement with the changes we’ve already made.”

Even as Haley admits now Bowe’s attitude and performance shows improvement, the question is, can the two truly co-exist?

“There is no secret that Haley is just a gruff personality. You saw it in Dallas with Terrell Owens, where everybody blamed it all on T.O. and they shouldn’t have. Then in Arizona (Haley) didn’t just have blow-ups with (Anquan) Boldin, he had them with Larry (Fitzgerald) too.

“No doubt Haley is volatile, and if you argue with everybody everywhere you have to look yourself in the mirror at some point. However, from my vantage point they can continue to be together right now. This is also because it has not impacted Bowe’s money by carrying on into the regular season yet. That’s when people start to say, 'You can kiss my you-know-what.'”

In Marshall’s case, he has missed both Broncos preseason games. But regardless of how much missing both playing opportunities has to do with injury or ego from either player or coach, there are some that feel on both the inside and on the periphery that Marshall’s move is not to fret now.

“Just like with Bowe, in my opinion right now Marshall’s money is not being impacted. If this continues into the regular season, then you have a gripe.”

Moreover, after considering the instant turnaround in the active practice status of cornerback Champ Bailey, defensive tackle Marcus Thomas, and safety Renaldo Hill one day after failing McDaniels’ conditioning test the first day of full-squad training camp, and Broncos owner Pat Bowlen’s obvious final say during situations that call for discipline, the Chiefs insider source opined this:

“To me, Marshall looks to have the owner in his back pocket, especially with the way Kyle Orton is playing. When it comes to being in the midst of actually winning and losing in the regular season, Marshall can pee on Josh’s desk and Bowlen isn’t going to say anything. Sooner or later, like what seemingly happened with Bailey and those guys, Bowlen might tell McDaniels to shut up.”

Even though Orton responded to his dismal three-interception debut with a more confident performance last Saturday, leverage has not been lessened in Orton’s tenuous situation as the leader of the Broncos offense.

“Wait to you get closer to Week One. I wouldn’t be surprised if (Bowlen) comes downstairs and says, 'Brandon, still not working with ones, young man? (Clear throat) I said, Brandon, still not working with the ones? We need to figure out a package for him, don’t we?’ Sometimes it can just be that simple.”

The depth chart that the Broncos released on August 22 (the same day as the Seattle game) now has Marshall listed with the first string. Bowlen’s influence in that matter is anyone’s guess; however, to suggest that Bowlen has never questioned his new coach is probably not smart.

“How come nobody is saying in Denver how much (general manager) Brian Xanders and boy genius McDaniels could turn out to be a disaster? I'm saying that and I have nothing against Xanders or McDaniels. Those two could lose their jobs playing fantasy football up there. There is no salary cap hit for firing a coach. I just think with the NFC East in the schedule, on top of the other ridiculous match-ups, there is not much relief in sight.”

Do McDaniels and the Broncos have leverage with the fact that his Patriots offensive system is proven, and, that it doesn’t require Orton to have a Cutler-like arm on every play? I asked that question when I saw how overt McDaniels was in establishing former Patriot Jabar Gaffney in the short crossing-route game against the Seahawks last Saturday.

“When the Kentucky Derby starts, and they blow the horn, you better be sitting on a good horse. You can run out there with Mr. Ed if you want to, and have everyone laughing. Don’t get me wrong, Gaffney is all right, but he was one of the pit crew in New England; he wasn’t driving the race car.”

With that emphatic statement, the well-placed Chiefs insider says the Broncos need to just give Marshall his money now because it could be more economic in the end after all.

“Just extend the man and get it over with. You can always trade him later. You may stand to save more money with the small amount of good faith that you have left right now. What if the Collective Bargaining Agreement gets resolved, and he becomes an unrestricted free agent? Now you have no good faith after messing with him during the regular season, and then you lose all good faith. Now Marshall is on a plane to Washington, or to the bank with Jerry Jones, and Bowlen is ready to kill everybody in the building because you opened Pandora’s box en route to a bidding war. Not that he would do that, but I am just saying.”

Yet ironically, even if Marshall became available to Kansas City, this member of the Chiefs organization would actually rather stick with Bowe.

“Marshall is nice - matter of fact, in a lot of respects he’s better then Dwayne, but here is where I draw the line: where there is some smoke, there is fire. His case may have been adjudicated and you won your court proceedings, but I also know Bowe, and I truly believe his heart is in the right place. Is (Bowe’s) work ethic where the coaching staff would like it to be completely? No. I just know that Bowe means well. I don’t know that about Brandon. He’s physically more gifted than D-Bo, but sorry to say, I will settle for the one I have right now.”

Yes. Right now.

That seems to be the comment for everybody “right now.”
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Speaking of posts I don't read....
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Marshall's is about money. The Bowe situation is because of his stone hands.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
“There is no secret that Haley is just a gruff personality. You saw it in Dallas with Terrell Owens, where everybody blamed it all on T.O. and they shouldn’t have. Then in Arizona (Haley) didn’t just have blow-ups with (Anquan) Boldin, he had them with Larry (Fitzgerald) too.

“No doubt Haley is volatile, and if you argue with everybody everywhere you have to look yourself in the mirror at some point. However, from my vantage point they can continue to be together right now. This is also because it has not impacted Bowe’s money by carrying on into the regular season yet. That’s when people start to say, 'You can kiss my you-know-what.'”
Haley and the rest of the Arizona Cardinals coaching staff that Polio brought in will be gone in 2 years.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

And this 'Queefs Super Duper Special Haley Nut-huggin Insider' can be none other than Boob! ...who else would write such an asinine article? Pure innuendo and speculation ... and from a chief's perspective. Terrible penmanship as well.

Hey Boob, pick up a copy of Strunk and White, Elements of Style....

Champ and Thomas came back two days later AFTER they passed their conditioning test. Not because Pat Bowlen made McD bring them back.

I'm seeing more and more why Nalen had a ban on talking to the so-called 'press'.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Wow! Another moron who is too p***Y to claim saying something.

As usual, Josina reading from her "make anything up for a story" script.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Bob, is this the guy who re-stocks the nacho counter at the U-Gas?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Haley and the rest of the Arizona Cardinals coaching staff that Polio brought in will be gone in 2 years.
Highly doubt it
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

“I’d say for Marshall, 30 percent chance they move him."

Had no idea Josina had a PHD in statistics. This makes her so much more credible.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote