The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default On second watch...

What did you notice?

Anyone watched the game all the way through again, as painful as some of it may have been? It's always interesting to take the second look, rewind... focus on the lines, etc.

What did you see on your second look....?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
What did you notice?

Anyone watched the game all the way through again, as painful as some of it may have been? It's always interesting to take the second look, rewind... focus on the lines, etc.

What did you see on your second look....?
Popps, I haven't had a chance yet to re-watch it. Will probably do so later tonight.

But I'd like to asked you your own question. What did you see?
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

A few things that struck me...

-Champ Bailey
He looked a little slow, and not just on the play where he was beat. Still looks like he's working his way back into game shape.

Kenny Peterson
I continue to like his play. Nothing spectacular, but very solid. He isn't pushed around easily, contains the edge well and gets some push on the passer when he needs to. Very happy he's going to be a starter or in the rotation.

DJ Williams
I'm sorry, he's just a bad middle linebacker. He simply doesn't have the instincts. This isn't a feeling from just watching last night.... this goes back a ways for me. Every time I see him in the middle, the guy is just running aimlessly at the pile, and routinely picks the wrong gap. Watch Coffee's long run in the first quarter. Fields takes on his blocker and almost stops the play but funnels it to DJ for what should be an easy tackle. DJ is for some reason running flailing over to the left side of the screen chasing some blocker. The guy is a real liability in the middle. I know it's early, but I think this will be a real problem for us.

Kenny McKinley
Looks great, and was even open on the INT by Orton. (Under-thrown.)

Brandon Lloyd
Looked solid, tough to cover and I still predict he works his way into a lot of action this year.

Ron Fields
Looked very strong. He's going to give people trouble. Not dominant, but he'll definitely hold his own at NT. Didn't see him being double-teamed much, but we'll see how things progress.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Popps
It's so easy

Orton
Yes, he obviously had problems. But, the first drive was impressive until the INT in the endzone. It really looked to me like he was aiming the ball, not just throwing it. He looked tentative. He's no Elway, but he's got better arm strength than he was showing last night, imo. I think he needs to come out and rip it next week. He really looked tentative, that's the only word I can think of. On 2 of the 3 picks, it probably wasn't a terrible idea.. he just needed to rip it. He's trying to aim the ball, imo.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Secondary
I don't know exactly what Nolan's cover scheme is, but it looked like a zone, at times. There were a few times where the safeties seemed like they were positioned further back than they needed to be. Most of the big plays seemed to be in the middle of the field, in the 15 yard range.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

Still watching, but will try to take a few more mental notes as I look again....
Old 08-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Defensively it looks like we will be strong at the line and are not allowing anyone to get behind us deep for the home run play. I think TEs will slaughter us in the middle range though.
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Quote:
Orton
Yes, he obviously had problems. But, the first drive was impressive until the INT in the endzone. It really looked to me like he was aiming the ball, not just throwing it. He looked tentative. He's no Elway, but he's got better arm strength than he was showing last night, imo. I think he needs to come out and rip it next week. He really looked tentative, that's the only word I can think of. On 2 of the 3 picks, it probably wasn't a terrible idea.. he just needed to rip it. He's trying to aim the ball, imo.
After a quick re-watch, Orton looked a lot like Griese (after the shoulder injury). After the pick in the end zone, he seemed to lose all confidence.

Jordan looked weak to me. Does not hit the hole with speed or power. Runs like he is looking for a place to go down. Hills should really get all of his touches.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
A few things that struck me...

-Champ Bailey
He looked a little slow, and not just on the play where he was beat. Still looks like he's working his way back into game shape.
I hope that is all it is.

Quote:
DJ Williams
I'm sorry, he's just a bad middle linebacker. He simply doesn't have the instincts. This isn't a feeling from just watching last night.... this goes back a ways for me. Every time I see him in the middle, the guy is just running aimlessly at the pile, and routinely picks the wrong gap. Watch Coffee's long run in the first quarter. Fields takes on his blocker and almost stops the play but funnels it to DJ for what should be an easy tackle. DJ is for some reason running flailing over to the left side of the screen chasing some blocker. The guy is a real liability in the middle. I know it's early, but I think this will be a real problem for us.
And no other spot for him in the 3-4, huh? Is the Will in a 4-3 his only best fit?

Quote:
Kenny McKinley
Looks great, and was even open on the INT by Orton. (Under-thrown.)
Yea, may be a sleeper.

Quote:
Ron Fields
Looked very strong. He's going to give people trouble. Not dominant, but he'll definitely hold his own at NT. Didn't see him being double-teamed much, but we'll see how things progress.
I'm no expert by any means, but my understanding is the NT must command a double team for the 3-4 to very real effective. Although I admit I may be wrong.

Thanks Popps.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
TheDave
Sauced...

After watching it again... Hmmmmm

Offense-

1. Orton - What happened? He looked wonderful for the 1st 7-10 passes. Then once he threw that 1st pick he absolutely imploded. Hopefully this isn't how he normally plays. If so, it's time for the Simms era to start.

2. Offensive line - Just as impressed with their pass protection as I was all last year. Probably one of if not the best pass blocking Olines in the league. On the other hand their run blocking is kind of a mixed bag. They are very effective when using the ZBS. The power formations and man on man are still a work in progress.

3. WR's - we have a wealth of talent at this position and should be able to create an array of mis-matches and put a lot of pressure on opposing D's (assuming our QB play improves significantly)

4. RB's - Thank god knowshon is OK. The combination of him and hillis looks to be as potent as we all hoped.

Defense-

1. DLine - I'm not nearly as impressed as some people were. I felt they gave up ground and allowed too many Olineman to get to the 2nd level. I'm afraid we have a long ways to go here and will remain or achillies heal this year.

2. LB's - Still a work in progress. We have some talent and OLB might prove to be a natural fit for Doom. The increase in average size of this unit should help us as the year progresses. Still wasn't overly impressed with any individual and unfortunately Ayers looks absolutely lost at this point.

3. Secondary - Better than last season, but unless we get more pressure they are going to suffer the same fate as last season. Will be interesting to see what happens with Dawkins in the mix.

Special Teams

1. So far so good... but I honestly have no idea if that was a product of SF's poor special teams play or have we really improved that much.

Overall

The defensive move to the 3-4 is the right thing to do. But I'm afraid that our Dline is still a train wreck and won't do us any favors this year. On the other side of the ball our offense can be as good as it wants to be. That is one of the main reasons that I am so frustrated by what I have seen out of Orton. He better pick it up in a hurry or we will need to look for other options so as to not waste our strongest unit.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Ron Fields may have looked okay but I really think Chris Baker has tons of potential.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Ron Fields may have looked okay but I really think Chris Baker has tons of potential.
I was thinking the same thing watching the game last night. Baker stood out to me a few times.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Jordan sucks, so does Buck.

Where was Sheff?

Baker looks like a keeper by default.

Why were we pounding Moreno on 5 dAYS?

oUR ONLY BACKS ARE hILLIS AND AN INJURED mORENO,.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
I was thinking the same thing watching the game last night. Baker stood out to me a few times.
Same here and I keep having to tell myself it was against the second string but it does provide a glimmer of hope.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #15
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

O-line was fine, why draft 2?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Because if any one of the starters goes down our great OL could go to crap. So you have to plan for the future and OL depth is one of the needs that needed to be addressed. Shanny would have done the same thing.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #17
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
2. Offensive line - Just as impressed with their pass protection as I was all last year. Probably one of if not the best pass blocking Olines in the league. On the other hand their run blocking is kind of a mixed bag. They are very effective when using the ZBS. The power formations and man on man are still a work in progress.
Other than the obvious that the power blocking is new to them, do you think that it may also be a problem that other than Clady, we are still considered a small OL, especially in the interior? If so, that may not get fixed all that soon.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Other than the obvious that the power blocking is new to them, do you think that it may also be a problem that other than Clady, we are still considered a small OL, especially in the interior? If so, that may not get fixed all that soon.
The problem I noticed was that they did a poor job of holding their blocks. They were firing out on their man and generally were not giving up ground. Problem seemed that they would get on their man and be disengaged a moment later.

I think it is something they can improve on.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Hamilton might not be the best fit going forward in the new hybrid running scheme. Weigmann is also up there in age. Schlueter actually has a strong resemblance to Hamilton...he's undersized, very smart and possesses great technical prowess coming from a history of well coached OL at Iowa.

Olsen is cut a little bit more from the Kuper mold. He's beefier and a little meaner, but can still do the things that are athletically required. The staff should be given credit for his fast development. He was a quick learner at camp and routinely was given time with the 1's. I noticed he was also one of the first backups in the game at the OL position, yesterday.

The staff saw an OL that was very strong at the respective bookends, although Harris was more of a pure system fit for the previous coaching staff than an all-around monster like Clady is. Nonetheless, they justifiably felt very comfortable going forward with him..even if he's just a hair out of place in line scheme that is more traditional. They obviously saw Kuper as the stud that he is, but noticed the age problem at C and LG that they wanted to address. It is early, but Olsen looks like he will transition quite well into what they like to do. The point was raised at camp that Schlueter might fall prey to the Greg Eslinger syndrome, but he has awhile to pack on some weight. I suspect he'll need another 20 pounds from his current 283 to be fully functional in this offense. We will see whether he can gain it without affecting his game negatively. There were several reports over the summer that were very complementary of Schlueter's game, however. Perhaps with McDaniels increased emphasis on nutrition, he'll fair better than Eslinger did in the weight and muscle mass gain area.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #20
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Where was Tim Crowder?
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
The problem I noticed was that they did a poor job of holding their blocks. They were firing out on their man and generally were not giving up ground. Problem seemed that they would get on their man and be disengaged a moment later.

I think it is something they can improve on.
Well if it is technique, then you're right it can fixed.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #22
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Fields seemed like he was always out of position. Two or three times the play came right to him and he ran elsewhere. Isn't his job in the 3-4 just to stuff the middle? Our D would have looked real good had he or some fat guy been right in the middle most of the evening.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
I hope that is all it is.

And no other spot for him in the 3-4, huh? Is the Will in a 4-3 his only best fit?
I don't know, but a lot of people here were speculating that when Williams was out, the defense improved last year, and I can't say I disagree. The guy just doesn't seem to know where to be. I understand this is yet another new system to him, but like Dr. Bronc pointed out, if he's a 1st round talent, or even just a talent... he's got to adapt more quickly.

I honestly believe Larsen would be an improvement over him, almost immediately.

It's a real problem. We have a lot of money wrapped up in this guy and the MLB spots are very important.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #24
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Where was Tim Crowder?
Great question. After camp, I expected to see a lot of him. But, saw little of him or Reid. I did notice Reid later on a few series.

Just noticed that Ayers played some early in the game, and then again very late, unless I have my numbers wrong.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #25
Popps
It's so easy

Agree with SoCal about Olsen. He looks very natural out there.