The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Pat Bowlen--What Were You Thinking!

Bowlen screwed up b/c if he had the power to fire Shanahan he also had the power to fire Slowick!!! Bowlen's move was rather gutless IMHO. You don't blow up a team and fire the HC just b/c you strongly believe the Defensive Coord. needs to go but the HC thinks otherwise!!

Bowlen as the owner could have over ruled Shanny's decision to keep Slowick......and just fired Slowick over Shanahan's head. Why not.....he's the owner.

The Gutless move on Bowlens behalf is when he called Mike in and just said "Your Outta Here"!! Shocked the hell out of Shanahan. Shanny thought they were going out to lunch to discuss plans for the draft and the 2009 season.

Bowlen could have called Shanny in and said "Mike" I'm stepping in here and we are going to let Slowick go, and we are going to allow the Goodman's to start rebuilding this Defense as top priority over the next 3 years.

Bowlen: Mike I need you to just focus on what you do best and thats to concentrate on offense. As the owner of this team, this is the direction we need to go in. Now, I know you have 3 years left on your contract and I will honor those 3 years whether you remain the HC as the Broncos or whether you decide to leave. However, I hope our great 14 year relationship leads you to stay.

Bowlen: I want yourself and the Goodman's to put your heads together and begin a search for the best available DC or the best up and coming DC assistant for 2009, and lets see if we can get this Defense back to at least the 96, 97, 98, 05, and 06 Defensive teams.

Shanahan would have excepted this power shift b/c he loved coaching the Broncos and the city of Denver. Shanny would have thought...you know what Mr. Bowlen gave me 14 years of GM responsibility and I appreciate the opportunity. Its time to shift some of the Defensive development and decison from myself to the Goodman's for the betterment of the team.

Had Bowlen approach with this scenario, Shanahan and Cutler would still be in Denver as we speak.

Bowlen is a sorry spineless gutless owner.......plain and simple.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Buy yourself a Broncos hoodie and move on my man.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I can't understand why the collective fanbase has the general impression that the reason Shanahan and Bowlen got divorced was over Slowick.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Bowlen screwed up b/c if he had the power to fire Shanahan he also had the power to fire Slowick!!! Bowlen's move was rather gutless IMHO. You don't blow up a team and fire the HC just b/c you strongly believe the Defensive Coord. needs to go but the HC thinks otherwise!!

Bowlen as the owner could have over ruled Shanny's decision to keep Slowick......and just fired Slowick over Shanahan's head. Why not.....he's the owner.

The Gutless move on Bowlens behalf is when he called Mike in and just said "Your Outta Here"!! Shocked the hell out of Shanahan. Shanny thought they were going out to lunch to discuss plans for the draft and the 2009 season.

Bowlen could have called Shanny in and said "Mike" I'm stepping in here and we are going to let Slowick go, and we are going to allow the Goodman's to start rebuilding this Defense as top priority over the next 3 years.

Bowlen: Mike I need you to just focus on what you do best and thats to concentrate on offense. As the owner of this team, this is the direction we need to go in. Now, I know you have 3 years left on your contract and I will honor those 3 years whether you remain the HC as the Broncos or whether you decide to leave. However, I hope our great 14 year relationship leads you to stay.

Bowlen: I want yourself and the Goodman's to put your heads together and begin a search for the best available DC or the best up and coming DC assistant for 2009, and lets see if we can get this Defense back to at least the 96, 97, 98, 05, and 06 Defensive teams.

Shanahan would have excepted this power shift b/c he loved coaching the Broncos and the city of Denver. Shanny would have thought...you know what Mr. Bowlen gave me 14 years of GM responsibility and I appreciate the opportunity. Its time to shift some of the Defensive development and decison from myself to the Goodman's for the betterment of the team.

Had Bowlen approach with this scenario, Shanahan and Cutler would still be in Denver as we speak.

Bowlen is a sorry spineless gutless owner.......plain and simple.
So would Slowik.

Shanahan needed to go due to the fact he let friendships and feelings cloud what was best for the team.

Cutler on the other hand needed to just get the Marshall treatment of "we'll see you in camp."
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

its already been disproven that it wasnt over slowick, it was over lack of progress by the entire team.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
So would Slowik.

Shanahan needed to go due to the fact he let friendships and feelings cloud what was best for the team.

Cutler on the other hand needed to just get the Marshall treatment of "we'll see you in camp."
i agree, i wish they woudl have, but you cant really blame bowlen for ordering his trade either. but now that jay is gone, oh well.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
its already been disproven that it wasnt over slowick, it was over lack of progress by the entire team.

Where has this been proven? The only person who could speak to this was Pat and one thing that has been proven is that Pat is a liar.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Name:  els_bowlen.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  29.5 KB
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Bowlen's move was rather gutless IMHO. .
You know....I think swimming in this pool would be refreshing on a hot summer day.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I say you create a time machine, then go back and kill Slowik in his sleep, but then Slowik would never be DC and then you would never have a reason to build a time machine...

Or, you could create AI, then the machines will take over, and they will send someone back to kill Slowik's mother before he's born - but get this, the machine will have an Austrian accent.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Oh, boy!!

Another.........

DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

After reading the OP, I am beginning to understand Montrose a little more.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I can't understand why the collective fanbase has the general impression that the reason Shanahan and Bowlen got divorced was over Slowick.
It was definitely the straw that broke the camels back.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Contrary to what many think about Bowlen's decision to let Shanahan go... I think it took more guts than what most of us face each day when we head off to work.

Gutless drunk... light years from it.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Omfg...move on with life...****!!!!!!!!!! Let the **** go...nothin you can do about it!!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Probably because they can understand that.

They can't understand a multi-millionaire not liking someone running his largest personal asset completely devoid of his oversight because well, they don't own an asset on par with a pro sports team.

That is what it all ultimately boiled down to. Bowlen surrendered almost complete autonomy to Shanahan during the glory days. When the wins didn't keep coming Bowlen decided it wasn't worth letting someone else run the entire show devoid of his input. There was no way Shanahan would take a reduction in power so he had to go.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Shanahan wouldn't accept a demotion and he wouldn't accept someone going over his head to fire Slowik. It's clear he was and might still be willing to ride Slowik out of the HOF.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #18
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Shanahan wouldn't accept a demotion and he wouldn't accept someone going over his head to fire Slowik. It's clear he was and might still be willing to ride Slowik out of the HOF.
He's going to the HOF with or without Slowik as his buddy for the rest of his coaching career. He's a career .600 coach (even including his Oakland days and the last few years), which puts him in elite territory. By the time he's done, he will have amassed over 200 wins, which is even more in elite territory (top 7). With two world titles as a head coach, and being the most powerful and most important assistant on another title team, he's a virtual lock for enshrinement. Bob Slowik isn't going to prevent him from that, no matter what.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Did someone step in dog****?

Wait, it's Rasta. Never mind.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #20
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Isn't that what happened? There were several articles/snippets that came out saying that's what happened.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
He's going to the HOF with or without Slowik as his buddy for the rest of his coaching career. He's a career .600 coach (even including his Oakland days and the last few years), which puts him in elite territory. By the time he's done, he will have amassed over 200 wins, which is even more in elite territory (top 7). With two world titles as a head coach, and being the most powerful and most important assistant on another title team, he's a virtual lock for enshrinement. Bob Slowik isn't going to prevent him from that, no matter what.
Plus the ZBS. It was an innovation that shouldnt be underestimated. Sure, Shanahan didnt create it but he signed off on it and had the vision and willingness to incorporate it.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #22
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

You can almost guarantee one of these Groundhog Day threads are going to posted after every loss this season, next season and so on, for god knows how long.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #23
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Dont you know? He was a Gutless Drunk. Or least so i am told by certain individuals on here.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #24
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
this is my thoughts as well .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
me neither, i had been under the impression it was due to the decade of mediocrity, farting away a 3 game lead in the playoff race, and the personnel decisions that led to our defense being a revolving door for opposing offenses to run through.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote