The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default Will Orton be benched....

NO>>>

EWOOD, Colo. -- Kyle Orton only needs to worry about correcting his mistakes, not looking over his shoulder.

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is standing behind his struggling quarterback, whom Denver acquired this spring in a trade with Chicago. That deal sent Pro Bowl passer Jay Cutler to the Bears after his relationship with McDaniels soured.

Orton
Orton threw three interceptions on three straight first-half series in Denver's 17-16 exhibition loss to the San Francisco 49ers, while his backup, Chris Simms, threw two touchdown passes.

McDaniels said it's too early to think about pulling the plug on Orton, who was booed for his poor play and two interceptions in a free scrimmage at Invesco Field last week, dampening what was supposed to be a night of fun.

"I feel very confident where we're at," McDaniels said after the game. "He made a few mistakes, but we're not going to go into this thing after the first preseason game and start tailspinning and doing this and that and making knee-jerk reactions."

The bigger issue facing the Broncos could be the health of top draft pick Knowshon Moreno, who went to the locker room in the second quarter with a leg injury. He was scheduled for an MRI exam on Saturday.

McDaniels didn't hesitate to play Moreno against the Niners even though he had practiced just five times after ending an eight-day holdout by signing a five-year, $23 million contract.

The Broncos return to the field Sunday, and wide receiver Brandon Marshall, fresh off his acquittal in a misdemeanor battery trial in Atlanta, could return for the first time since pulling up lame on a deep route Aug. 2.

As for his quarterback, McDaniels named Orton his starter in June. Coaches say he's come a long way in learning the intricate Patriots-style offense that requires the quarterback to make plenty of decisions at the line of scrimmage.

But he's struggled to put together any consistency, throwing several interceptions in one practice and then looking picture perfect the next.

"I'm not pressing at all," Orton said. "I'm trying to get comfortable with the offense and get ready for the first game."

And he fully expects to be the starter when the Broncos open their season at Cincinnati on Sept. 13.

"I'm not worried about it," Orton said when asked about the possibility of losing the starting job. "I've got a lot of confidence in me, and my team has a lot of confidence in me."

Orton's first interception came in the end zone when he tried to lead tight end Daniel Graham with a pass in zone coverage, ruining what had been an impressive and long drive on the Broncos' first possession.

His second interception -- by former Broncos cornerback Dre' Bly -- led to San Francisco's first touchdown, a 3-yard pass.

"I don't want to make those decisions and have three interceptions, but for the most part I felt very comfortable and felt we did a lot of good things on offense," Orton said.

McDaniels said there were plenty of mistakes to go around.

"We've got things we can fix and improve upon. I can definitely improve too. I told the players that. It starts with me," he said.

Not only does Orton have his coach's confidence, but Simms has his back, too.

"Kyle didn't struggle," Simms insisted. "I really don't think he did. He moved the ball well in all his series, and I think he'll tell you the those three throws are ones he makes every day in practice. He's a good player, and he'll bounce back and be ready for next game."

Niners coach Mike Singletary also praised Orton, who is 21-12 as a starter in the NFL.

"I think our guys did a pretty decent job of being where they needed to be and maybe the quarterback thought he saw something. Orton is a better quarterback than a lot of people think he is," Singletary said. "He's very solid, very consistent and I think our DBs did a pretty decent job."
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Kyle didn't struggle," Simms insisted. "I really don't think he did. He moved the ball well in all his series, and I think he'll tell you the those three throws are ones he makes every day in practice..."

Yeah, Orton does throw alot of interceptions in practice, too.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

For better or worse Orton is going to get EVERY chance to win or lose this job.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

he's a good practice QB but a very average QB in games
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
"Kyle didn't struggle," Simms insisted. "I really don't think he did. He moved the ball well in all his series, and I think he'll tell you the those three throws are ones he makes every day in practice..."

Every QB throws interceptions in practice. Its the nature of running through the entire offensive game plan and throwing two to four times more passes than you ever would in a real game.

Orton never had a problem with picks in Chicago, he was in fact considered a game manager QB, the "safe" alternative to Rex Grossman.

The system he's trying to learn and the coach he's learning it from have a history of pushing QBs to the limits, leading to a lot of mistakes, during preseason games. Cassel had a 56 QB rating last preseason and many Pats fans figured he'd lost the right to be Tom Brady's caddy. But the Pats kept him, Brady got hurt week one, and the rest is history.

Orton is going to be asked to stretch the offense to the very edges of his comfort zone up until week 1, at which point McDaniels will scale it back and implement what he knows Orton is comfortable with. The more he pushes Orton now the more Orton will be comfortable with in the regular season.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:

Oh man -_-
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
meangene
Ring of Famer

I think McDaniels is saying what he has to, and should say, at this point. But, if Orton continues to struggle next week, I think Simms will get more of a shot. What really concerned me (even more than the interceptions - Orton does not have a history of turnovers in Chicago) is the lack of arm strength to stretch the defense. While we may not be looking at teams loading the box due to the offensive formations, we will be looking at teams jumping the short routes and pressing our receivers more and more at the line of scrimmage. Tough to dink and dunk all the way down the field against most NFL defenses.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

He needs to cut down on the turnovers, he can move the ball with our first team offense. McWizkid needs find a way to put him in the most success-proned situation possible.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Personally I have always thought that Chris Simms with the right coaching would make a very good NFL QB.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Personally I have always thought that Chris Simms with the right coaching would make a very good NFL QB.
He definitely looked better than I thought he would yesterday.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:

Yeah, Orton does throw a lot of interceptions in practice, too.
QUOTED again for TRUTH.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Dean
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Every QB throws interceptions in practice. Its the nature of running through the entire offensive game plan and throwing two to four times more passes than you ever would in a real game.

Orton never had a problem with picks in Chicago, he was in fact considered a game manager QB, the "safe" alternative to Rex Grossman.

The system he's trying to learn and the coach he's learning it from have a history of pushing QBs to the limits, leading to a lot of mistakes, during preseason games. Cassel had a 56 QB rating last preseason and many Pats fans figured he'd lost the right to be Tom Brady's caddy. But the Pats kept him, Brady got hurt week one, and the rest is history.

Orton is going to be asked to stretch the offense to the very edges of his comfort zone up until week 1, at which point McDaniels will scale it back and implement what he knows Orton is comfortable with. The more he pushes Orton now the more Orton will be comfortable with in the regular season.
When you calculate the percentage of interceptions versus passes thrown his percentage is the same as Jay Cutler's.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
When you calculate the percentage of interceptions versus passes thrown his percentage is the same as Jay Cutler's.
With far less talent and worse coaching. Not to mention his first run at QB came as a rookie with almost zero prep before starting the better part of a season. Jay got to watch and learn for almost his entire first year.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

59 Kyle Orton DEN QB 9 16 56.3 16.0 89 5.6 89.0 0 3 5 31.3 19 0 0 0 32.6

Jesus. next.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Personally I thought Major Applewhite, other than having the most bizarre name ever, was the better QB in college. Look where he is now.
ghwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Other 3 preseason performances look like this, Simms better be the starter come opening day. Dont expect him to though. McDipshlts ego wont allow it.

But damn, just the arm strength issue alone. Orton would throw the ball, Id get up, go to the fridge, get a beer, and come back just in time for the ball to reach Dre Blys hands. Simms threw a decent ball I thought.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

Jesus. next.
And what's the excuse for Cutler's stat line?
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

"McDaniels is standing behind his quarterback.."

Does he have any other choice? Anything besides immediate and sustained sucess with Orton is going to be an epic failure.... given the offseason shenannigans.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosfreak_56 View Post
He definitely looked better than I thought he would yesterday.
His arm was better than Orton's, not as good as Cutlers, but Simms has a rocket.

I still hope Orton gets more of a shot.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

He will be benched eventually in a "Bubby"esque manner. He sucks, Simms is a less embarrasingly bad version so he should start. This is just the beginning in the McDaniels Phillipsesque abortion that will be over in 2 years.

The question is though, who should we hire in 2011?
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #21
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
"McDaniels is standing behind his quarterback.."

Does he have any other choice? Anything besides immediate and sustained sucess with Orton is going to be an epic failure.... given the offseason shenannigans.
Well he also signed Simms so I don't see the issue here.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
He will be benched eventually in a "Bubby"esque manner. He sucks, Simms is a less embarrasingly bad version so he should start. This is just the beginning in the McDaniels Phillipsesque abortion that will be over in 2 years.

The question is though, who should we hire in 2011?
McDaniels will play out the full 4 years of his contract. Pat will give him the opportunity to polish the turd Mike left behind. also, his next 3 years will be far better than the last 3 under Mike.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #23
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

Jesus. next.
Jay Cutler | #6 | QB 5 10 50.0 64 6.4 0 1 0 0 30.8

Jesus, glad we don't have that guy solely based on that first preseason game. What a bum.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote