The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default I actually think we're starting to look good.

I expected the Mane to crash and knew that in one preseason game our fickle fan base would jump off a cliff. Orton had a very bad day, probably worse than anything I've seen. As expected, I knew the mane would throw out how the rest of the team looked because of one player. If you decided to watch the rest of the team you saw a lot of good things.

San Fran is a very physical team. It was our first preseason game and on the road. I thought we held our own from a pure physicality stand point.

Offense:
Let's be honest, Orton choked and in the worst places to do so (red zone, backed up in your own end zone). I also am growing concerned if when the pressure is on he's going to keep imploding like he has. However he was moving the ball effectively and our first team offense looked pretty good. Our backs were making good runs and our receivers were getting open. Our QB's were protected. This unit looked good sans Orton, and that's something to build on.

Defense:
Again, we did pretty good. When they weren't screwed with bad field position they held their own. Champ was robbed of an int because Alex Smith made a bad pass, and we missed the forced fumble. Still no turnovers I'd like to see but we got four sacks and two were on legit pressure and not coverage. We played physical, too. In situations where we had to stop them (like in their own endzone at the end of the game) we came through. We tackled well and were bringing the heat. In sum: Already the effects of Slowick are being removed and this looks like a respectable defense, granted the niners offense isn't great, and there are a lot things we need to clean up, but it's a decent start.

Special Teams: I was amazed to see us field a good special teams unit! We had then pinned deep on a couple punts and we had three returns past the thirty. Prater only had one kick but overall did well. I was really impressed with how good the ST unit looked.

Rookies: Baker had a sack, McKinley had his moments (good and bad), Knowshon looked great until he left the game with a knee issue, Alphonso showed his ball skills, Quinn had a nice block, and both Smith and McKinley had good returns.

So for all the whining, some of you can't see the forest for the trees. Had our unit from last year been playing, the score would have been 30-0 with three ints in the first half, not 16-17. This group looks closer than I expected for new systems across the board. I still think we'll need one more offseason of turnover to get really competitive, but if we're playing to a tie on the road then I'll be satisfied. Bottom line: We ARE getting better.

And give Orton more than one preseason game to throw him under the bus.

Last edited by Kaylore; 08-15-2009 at 07:21 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think the tone might be different if Moreno didnt play after getting hurt. The anxiety has been doubled because of that. The prospect of losing the #12 pick has everyone steeped in negativity.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I don't think anybody choked. It's a brand new team. Everybody is trying to figure everybody else out. There's very little timing. Orton didn't have much of an idea where people were going and his receivers aren't very familiar with him. I don't know what people expected, Broncos '98? They looked like exactly what they are, a bunch of guys thrown together who don't quite know each other yet.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

I thought the offensive system was very creative and it should score a lot of points. The defense was improved, but we still got no turnovers.

When we gave up that 15 yard run on 2nd and 18, I was thinking, "Here we go again." But after that we got pretty solid on the run.

Basically, we dominated the game against a weak team, but lost on the scoreboard.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

People are behaving like eagles fans. I saw a lot of things I liked particularly with tackling and our OL.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I don't think anybody choked. It's a brand new team. Everybody is trying to figure everybody else out. There's very little timing. Orton didn't have much of an idea where people were going and his receivers aren't very familiar with him. I don't know what people expected, Broncos '98? They looked like exactly what they are, a bunch of guys thrown together who don't quite know each other yet.
I agree, but three turnovers in one half, especially those situations is unacceptable. Two in scoring position and one in your own endzone. The last needed a bit more air under it, the first was him mis-reading Graham (and really it shouldn't have been thrown to him anyway) and the second was just Bly making a play on a ball. I agree he'll need time, and it's way too early to declare him a failure, but he's beginning to run out of time. I would feel better if instead of reading "Orton responds with best practice ever" we read "Orton responds with best game ever." We shall see.

The point of this thread was to show that the rest of the team is better than last year.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I expected the Mane to crash and knew that in one preseason game our fickle fan base would jump off a cliff. Orton had a very bad day, probably worse than anything I've seen. As expected, I knew the mane would throw out how the rest of the team looked because of one player. If you decided to watch the rest of the team you saw a lot of good things.

San Fran is a very physical team. It was our first preseason game and on the road. I thought we held our own from a pure physicality stand point.

Offense:
Let's be honest, Orton choked and in the worst places to do so (red zone, backed up in your own end zone). I also am growing concerned if when the pressure is on he's going to keep imploding like he has. However he was moving the ball effectively and our first team offense looked pretty good. Our backs were making good runs and our receivers were getting open. Our QB's were protected. This unit looked good sans Orton, and that's something to build on.

Defense:
Again, we did pretty good. When they weren't screwed with bad field position they held their own. Champ was robbed of an int because Alex Smith made a bad pass, and we missed the forced fumble. Still no turnovers I'd like to see but we got four sacks and two were on legit pressure and not coverage. We played physical, too. In situations where we had to stop them (like in their own endzone at the end of the game) we came through. We tackled well and were bringing the heat. In sum: Already the effects of Slowick are being removed and this looks like a respectable defense, granted the niners offense isn't great, and there are a lot things we need to clean up, but it's a decent start.

Special Teams: I was amazed to see us field a good special teams unit! We had then pinned deep on a couple punts and we had three returns past the thirty. Prater only had one kick but overall did well. I was really impressed with how good the ST unit looked.

Rookies: Baker had a sack, McKinley had his moments (good and bad), Knowshon looked great until he left the game with a knee issue, Alphonso showed his ball skills, Quinn had a nice block, and both Smith and McKinley had good returns.

So for all the whining, some of you can't see the forest for the trees. Had our unit from last year been playing, the score would have been 30-0 with three ints in the first half, not 16-17. This group looks closer than I expected for new systems across the board. I still think we'll need one more offseason of turnover to get really competitive, but if we're playing to a tie on the road then I'll be satisfied. Bottom line: We ARE getting better.

This is an area where the Broncos remain to have room for improvement and the last year is an extermely good example. Well, other than this is the first preseason game and last year was predominantly in regualr season games.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I agree with most everything Khan said. I also agree Orton did choke and looked tentative. His picks were NOT on misreads. He missed an open receiver on the first TD (in his line of sight), he threw the next pass RIGHT to Dre Bly...it wasnt like disguised coverage or a receiver running a bad route...then he severely underthrew another receiver for the third.

Obviously, its one game and he's proven in his career that he can take care of the ball...but it would be nice to see
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
I thought the offensive system was very creative and it should score a lot of points. The defense was improved, but we still got no turnovers.

When we gave up that 15 yard run on 2nd and 18, I was thinking, "Here we go again." But after that we got pretty solid on the run.

Basically, we dominated the game against a weak team, but lost on the scoreboard.
Reggie Rivers said it best. The Broncos outplayed the Niners and the turnovers did us in. I didn't expect us to be that much improved after one preseason game in all three phases.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I agree with most everything Khan said. I also agree Orton did choke and looked tentative. His picks were NOT on misreads. He missed an open receiver on the first TD (in his line of sight), he threw the next pass RIGHT to Dre Bly...it wasnt like disguised coverage or a receiver running a bad route...then he severely underthrew another receiver for the third.

Obviously, its one game and he's proven in his career that he can take care of the ball...but it would be nice to see
It's the first preseason game. I guess I don't care much.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
It's the first preseason game. I guess I don't care much.
Fair enough, i cant really argue against that
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

This is a sweet rationalization but we also blitzed the **** out of their vanilla "First Team" O that they were using to get an evaluation on Alex Smith after a series with Hill.

They didn't play Frank Gore, either. Yet, they still rushed for 136 with over 5 ypc.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #13
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

I agree with Kaylore 100%

Orton looked great on that first drive, I thought the play by Clements was better versus the pass being bad.

Ayers looked pretty good getting pressure from the outside, he nearly got a sack. Dumervil looks like he'll be fine as a pass rushing OLB, hell I thought our defense looked pretty damn good but it's only preseason.

Simms has a lot more zip on his ball than Orton.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
This is a sweet rationalization but we also blitzed the **** out of their vanilla "First Team" O that they were using to get an evaluation on Alex Smith after a series with Hill.

They didn't play Frank Gore, either. Yet, they still rushed for 136 with over 5 ypc.
Most of those runs were garbage draw plays as time expired.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
backup qb
Ring of Famer

I saw Quinn miss several blocks inluding one that led to a near sack with about 5 min to play. I was disappointed in what I saw of him, although only one game.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

I'm glad we are blitzing. I think teams will start to figure us out soon though. It seems like we are running a 5-2 defense. And they didn't change up which LB was going to rush the passer. It was always the OLB's

Chris Baker should be starting by mid season I really liked what I saw in him. A. Smith made a great play in pass coverage. Ayers seems like he needs another move, all I saw was bull rushing passed the QB when he was in the game.

Special teams coverage units played well
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
I saw Quinn miss several blocks inluding one that led to a near sack with about 5 min to play. I was disappointed in what I saw of him, although only one game.
Quinn still needs time, he got pushed in the backfield that resulted in a 5 yard loss on a run play. I've been hearing the same thing in the practice write ups about hows he's getting dominated at the LOS.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Offense:

Defense:

Another voice of reason in the insane asylum.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #19
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Here's my positive takeaways from the game:

Thank you and good night.
ghwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

People who want to be right will always find a way to support the positions they have put forth. Orton haters will point to the picks, supporters will say well he moved ball well and will get better.

Defense looks more physical, wasn't getting pushed around much, so I am pleased.

Let's see how team looks going through preseason before we panic.

At least the played hard and weren't being pansies on defense like last 3 yrs.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #21
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Most of that came against 2nd stringers Rev.

There were still a few concerns about the run defense having lapses but for the most part they stuffed the run. There are things as Kahn noted, that they need to clean up but the team is most definitely getting better.

Is it too much to ask to give the guys some time to gel together? Really, new scheme, new coaches and 7 of 11 new starters on defense.

I guess I just had different expectations of what to look for in the game than you guys did. I was looking for how the players played both individually and as a team. With 3 picks in the first half last year, we are getting blown out. This year, we were down by 9 points. Thats somethign positive to take away even if it was a vanillla offense we were playing.

ANd 3 of the 4 sacks did not come on blitzes. Dumervile just speed rushed his guy, the second sack was a coverage sack and Baker's sack was a bullrush straight up the middle.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

they looked good other than getting the ball ran down there throats and Orton throwing 3 int's with his weakass arm and bad decisions but what do we know there is a reason the Bears coaches didn't want him
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #23
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Nothing's really changed from when we originally got Orton. When he was acquired and announced starter, we knew that his success would be incumbent on the success of our ground attack. Orton was getting us down the field without the benefit of a good rushing attack. Don't know what was up, but it didn't seem like the first team OL and RBs were getting us much on the ground.

Simms and 2nd team OL/RBs did a great job keeping the offense balanced.

Agree that Lamont looked horridly slow. I'm already a little bit worried about our RB situation. Would be cool if they bring Torain back midseason after his knee is healed (if he's still available). Darius looked good...enjoyed that play he just put his head down and ran straight in the middle for 7 or 8.

Loved seeing the Larsen/Hillis combo backfield for the 3rd and 1 in the 1st half (i think). Larsen got more reps at FB than I thought he would.

Orton will be fine...but those picks were horrible.

I said it in another post, I'll say it again: He's only had <6 months in the offense. To expect Brady/Cassel-like performance was unreasonable (Cassel had 5 or 6 offseasons to learn it and was still less than spectacular last year in the preseason).
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

I was very impressed with the front 7 for being the first preseason game.
They looked completely different then what we're used to. You can tell that the mind set is to attack not the old read and react that gave QB's all day back there. Besides 1 or 2 runs the run D looked great, Larsen made a huge play against the run on 3rd and short! And the pass rush looked great to me. Baker, Doom, Haggan and McBean all came through with sacks. It was especially encouraging to see that from Baker and McBean (when was the last time we had 4 sacks in a game?). I think I remember Ayers getting some good pressure out of the nickel on one play too. This defense is going to be good! And just think, B-Dawk is going to add to the defense when he comes back too. Plus I must say, that play that Alphonso made when he was beaten and stumbling was amazing, if he didn't lose his footing he would have had a pick on that.

Eliminate the turnovers and we've got a good squad.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #25
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joel Dresseen

Positives

-Playcalling. I thought the playcalling had gotten stale last year.

-Special teams looked better.

-We tackled better.

-Knowshon showed explosion we haven't seen in a while (fingers crossed).

-Royal is awesome.

-Simms. He's better than Ramsey.

Negatives

-Linebackers looked slow - Maybe they are still thinking and not reacting?

-Orton -The 3 picks really didn't bother me. It's preseason, he's still learning the system, and until he's comfortable making his reads, I won't judge his ability to manage the offense. However, I know you don't have to throw it through a wall to be a good QB, but he obviously can't make all the throws and I fear this will result in teams stacking the box against us. We'll see.

-Lamont Jordan.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote