The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
meangene
Ring of Famer

Default Random Thoughts Following Preaseason Game 1

Here are a few of my observations:

I have been a huge supporter of Orton up until last night. Two of the three INT's were just bonehead throws. Also, the difference in arm strength between he and Simms was palpable. Simms really opened up the field with some deep throws. Simms deserves more reps with the first team and more of an opportunity to win the job. Let's see what he can do with, and against, the first teams.

Hillis is our best RB and should be at least splitting the carries in our typical one back set. He is a special talent. Beyond him and Moreno we don't have anything special at RB.

Moreno's injury was just one of those fluke things - nobody's fault. However, even I could see he was hurt after the second carry and he should have been taken out. Don't think that would have mattered though.

Lloyd and McKinley should both make the team at WR.

Much as I hate to admit it, we need Marshall back on the field.

Our defense is going to be much improved - way more sacks and turnovers this year.

I thought all of our starting front three had their moments but the best lineman on the field was Baker. He is a beast and should be starting by week 1 - and not because Fields is not playing well.

Where was Thomas? Did he even play? The dude just disappears in games. We have no depth at DE.

For all the preseason love and hype JMFW sucked last night. Missed tackles and got beaten in coverage. Smith is the better player.

Dawkins leadership will be a real key for the defense when he gets back on the field. We played two rookies a lot with the first team defense and their inexperience showed some. Where was Barrett?

We have got to get Woodyard on the field more. I don't care how small he is!

Smith and McKinley will both do well as return men and do a good job getting up the field quickly on returns.

Be patient folks. This is a brand new system, new players, and new coaches. It will take a little time for the depth chart to sort itself out and for the team to come together.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

We will finish 3-13 and have a pick below #26 in the draft.... must be a record.... i have never been so depressed and drunk on a friday night.....
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
We will finish 3-13 and have a pick below #26 in the draft.... must be a record.... i have never been so depressed and drunk on a friday night.....
Feel any better this morning? Color me stupid but I still remain cautiously optimistic.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

I have been a huge supporter of Orton up until last night. Two of the three INT's were just bonehead throws. Also, the difference in arm strength between he and Simms was palpable. Simms really opened up the field with some deep throws. Simms deserves more reps with the first team and more of an opportunity to win the job. Let's see what he can do with, and against, the first teams.

They are both stiffs and they aren't the future. The future left town. Now works in Chicago.

Hillis is our best RB and should be at least splitting the carries in our typical one back set. He is a special talent. Beyond him and Moreno we don't have anything special at RB.

Hillis will break down with the number of carries he will have to get because our QB's stink to high heaven.

Moreno's injury was just one of those fluke things - nobody's fault. However, even I could see he was hurt after the second carry and he should have been taken out. Don't think that would have mattered though.

Moreno represents the defensive player we could've had at 12. Now we have neither.

Who cares. Both are journeyman talents.

Naw, now come on. *that* guy?

Our defense is going to be much improved - way more sacks and turnovers this year.

Yes, I could see that. It took San Francisco 5 six plays to score each time. Two or three had become something of a tradition.

I thought all of our starting front three had their moments but the best lineman on the field was Baker. He is a beast and should be starting by week 1 - and not because Fields is not playing well.

Baker looks good because the others around him suck wind.

Where was Thomas? Did he even play? The dude just disappears in games. We have no depth at DE.

Thomas played. I saw him make a nice whiff on a tackle more than once.

For all the preseason love and hype JMFW sucked last night. Missed tackles and got beaten in coverage. Smith is the better player.

Williams make a couple of good plays and a couple of bad plays. Smith made a couple of good plays and a couple of bad plays AND all he cost was a top ten draft choice and possible future franchise QB. A steal.

Dawkins leadership will be a real key for the defense when he gets back on the field. We played two rookies a lot with the first team defense and their inexperience showed some. Where was Barrett?

Dawkins may never get back on the field if some of the reports about the seriousness of his hand injury can be taken seriously. 'Where was Barrett?' is a question that answers itself.

Smith and McKinley will both do well as return men and do a good job getting up the field quickly on returns.

And that is what a top ten, top five draft choice should do, along with intercept every pass, make every tackle and serve drinks after the game.

Be patient folks. This is a brand new system, new players, and new coaches. It will take a little time for the depth chart to sort itself out and for the team to come together.

Oh, it's a new system alright. If the Broncos put up this kind of show in front of the home crowd, the players and coaches may have to cluster together in a circle at midfield just to stay alive.

OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeRising View Post

They are both stiffs and they aren't the future. The future left town. Now works in Chicago.

Hillis will break down with the number of carries he will have to get because our QB's stink to high heaven.

Moreno represents the defensive player we could've had at 12. Now we have neither.

Who cares. Both are journeyman talents.

Naw, now come on. *that* guy?

Yes, I could see that. It took San Francisco 5 six plays to score each time. Two or three had become something of a tradition.

Baker looks good because the others around him suck wind.

Thomas played. I saw him make a nice whiff on a tackle more than once.

Williams make a couple of good plays and a couple of bad plays. Smith made a couple of good plays and a couple of bad plays AND all he cost was a top ten draft choice and possible future franchise QB. A steal.

Dawkins may never get back on the field if some of the reports about the seriousness of his hand injury can be taken seriously. 'Where was Barrett?' is a question that answers itself.

And that is what a top ten, top five draft choice should do, along with intercept every pass, make every tackle and serve drinks after the game.

Oh, it's a new system alright. If the Broncos put up this kind of show in front of the home crowd, the players and coaches may have to cluster together in a circle at midfield just to stay alive.

Wow, why even get up in the morning
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

Because there are so many sunshine boys like you to make the world a smiley, happy place.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Here's are my main thoughts, in no particular order:

Outside of 3 plays (Orton's three pics), the broncos did not play a bad game. The D showed up, especially for it being their first game. They looked very aggressive, which is a far cry from last season.

Baker and McBean looked pretty good. 98 always seemed to be getting a push.

Orton does not throw a strong ball, but im willing to see how the rest of the preseason plays out before we kill him. In chicago, he didnt throw a ton of ints, so i'll take the wait and see approach. The first drive showed what the broncos are capable of and this was down without our top wideout or RB (Buckhalter will not be starting)

Tough break with Knowshon, hopefully its nothing major. Its no ones fault though.

Both lines looked pretty good. Special teams looked decent. As said, outside of the three pics, i saw plenty of signs for encouragement. People are forgetting that is the FIRST ****ING PRESEASON game with a new O AND D. ****in chill.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Because there are so many sunshine boys like you to make the world a smiley, happy place.
I have some advice for you:

There are these things in the world called women. Go find one willing to have sex with you. If you can't, pay for it.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

Now see? You're already out of your depth. Try again sunshine.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #10
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

For the record, those posts were made by my fiance. He is currently a very unhappy Bronco fan. I apologize for his acerbic tone, and don't agree with all of his comments. My apologies. I will keep closer watch on my laptop.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Now see? You're already out of your depth. Try again sunshine.
wow, good one.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #12
meangene
Ring of Famer

Forgot one:

Larsen should be given a long look at starting ILB vs. Davis or even D.J.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #13
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Quote:
For the record, those posts were made by my fiance. He is currently a very unhappy Bronco fan. I apologize for his acerbic tone, and don't agree with all of his comments. My apologies. I will keep closer watch on my laptop.
What the ****? Are you bipolar?
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #14
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
What the ****? Are you bipolar?
Please. Mike got up earlier than me and posted under my log-in. I asked him to get his own account, but he has done this more than once. I apologized. What do you want?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #15
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Please. Mike got up earlier than me and posted under my log-in. I asked him to get his own account, but he has done this more than once. I apologized. What do you want?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #16
yerner
Ring of Famer

I thought things went ok. I would say that Mcdaniels needs to let Hillis rest up for the season and give Lamont 'my legs are stuck in concrete' Jordan the garbage carries in the second halves. I don't think Hillis has anything left to prove, why tempt fate with injury.

Also, I really like the schemes on both offense and defense. Orton blows but I think he can move the ball and will get adequate. Lastly, my fellow Arizona alum Spencer Larsen is an animal and needs to start. He needs reps to get make his mistakes and get better.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #17
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Everytime Orton threw a pass I thought I was going to fall asleep waiting on the ball to get there, and they were all short passes. I can only imagine how the receivers felt. The guy is a noodle arm, dink and dunk QB. This is going to be a long season, and we won't even be able to get Bradford or McCoy at the end of it.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I know it was a less than stellar performance from Orton but there were a lot of positives also overall that I am happy with

the biggest thing I learned is some of the people here are complete douche bags
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #19
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I haven't heard anything about Crowder or Ayers. Can somebody who watched the game on TV tell me what, if anything, either of them did?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Quote:
I want you to admit you're a nut.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #21
DawnBTVS
Laugh This Off... Puddin'

Rookie Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Things I took away...

- The first team defense was solid against the run for the most part (outside of the 15 yarder and 9 yard scramble on the first drive). Although they were a bit susceptible to the draw play. With that said, the defense also had 3 sacks. Very promising given last year's "effort" so it's good to see the D not only attacking but having some success.

- Orton's picks were troublesome... but he did lead the Broncos down the field in his first two drives. Pick 1 came when Denver was on the SF 4 yard line and pick 2 came at the SF 26 (IIRC). Pick 3 was just a great play by #30 on SF's side.

- Chris Simms looked sharp, as did Peyton Hillis. Simms' arm strength is definitely there, now it's just a question of whether he can maintain the accuracy/consistency from game to game. The running game overall, while not super wow, was consistent and solid from run to run for the most part. As a team, Denver had 28 carries for 110 yards with Hillis (and Walker, Moreno) standing out.

- The special teams! Alphonso Smith had a big 27 yard punt return to the Broncos 36-37 to set up great field position, and the punt team managed to down a Kern punt at the SF 11 before the half finished. Denver often had good starting field position (28, 37, 28, 39, and 47 were some of the starting fields drive wise) while forcing SF with slightly worse starting positions (22, 20, 11, 10, 18, and 5). Very promising to see the field position battle already being an improvement.

Last edited by DawnBTVS; 08-15-2009 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: Better format
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #22
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Woodyard + Larsen > DJ + (Davis or Haggans).

I hope that is the last time I have to watch Hillis lead blocking for Jordan.

Chris Baker needs some first team reps. He looked like a powerful two-gapper against the scrubs. They ran right over Fields.

Simms is the better quarterback. Footwork, improvisation, arm strength, and accuracy.... all visably superior to Orton.

Alphonso Smith is an explosive returner.

Orton completely **** the bed. Epic fail all around. Unfortunately for McD, he's married to this guy.

Lamont Jordan sucks.

It's going to be a long year.

JMFW sucks.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #23
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Good post Meangene, though don't be too quick to give up on Orton. He has some work to do no question and it was a disappointing outing for him no doubt, but he did some good things as well and had a decent first drive. Plus, he was going against their first team corners and they are a lot better than what Simms went against in the second half.

Nevertheless, the last two INTs were all on him and inexcusable in the regular season. lets hope he gets that cleaned up asap in the next few games.

Bu lets give Orton a chance to regroup and come around the next few games and into the regular season and see if he does? I bet he plays better in the coming weeks. A lot of guys have stunk it up in one or two preseason games with new teams, and wound up having solid years.

McD is going to give Orton every chance to succeed as he should, but if it becomes obvious he just doesn't have it in him, McD will make the right choice and put the best guy in to give us a shot, and then the hunt begins for our franchise guy in 2010.

In the meantime, this is a Looong season and we have a number of positive signs as well to take from this game .. like Baker, McBean and McKinley. Its WAY too early to over-react as the predictable Nervous Nelly Brigade was so quick to do, and throw Orton and the team under the bus before the end of the first quarter.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
JMFW sucks.
I didn't see the game but he did have one apparently very impressive tackle on a 250 pound TE did he not?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #25
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
It shows !
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote