The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Hillis proved he should be the starting RB

I know we didn't get to see much of Moreno and he did look explosive while he was out there but now he's hurt and we shall see to what extent. Buckhalter didn't look explosive what so ever and Jordan is slow and has 2 left feet. I already knew before the game that Hillis was better then both Buckhalter and Jordan and tonight he proved it. I mean, wtf does the guy have to do besides catch every ball thrown his way, either make the first guy miss or throw him a John Riggins style stiff arm, move the chains, and rip off huge chunks of yards when there is any reasonable amount of daylight to run to? Honestly, I didn't see him miss one assignment and after watching the game twice, I could not find any run he had where he didn't get the max yards a guy could possibly get out of a play. I think McD is finding out what Shanny found out late last year. It's hard not to keep this guy on the field. He is a match up nightmare. He blocks like a tank, runs faster then you think he would and it's almost a given that one tackler is not gonna bring him down. He will either make a cut and make them miss, plow them over or give them a stiff arm. I still don't see how some of the people on this board can say he's not a great runner and he would be better utilized as a FB or H-back. F that. He can play FB when Moreno needs to get some carries but there is no reason this guy should not get 20 carries a game.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Bowlen is an idiot who lost his mind. He should just sell the team and retire to the freezing tundra in Canada.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I know we didn't get to see much of Moreno and he did look explosive while he was out there but now he's hurt and we shall see to what extent. Buckhalter didn't look explosive what so ever and Jordan is slow and has 2 left feet. I already knew before the game that Hillis was better then both Buckhalter and Jordan and tonight he proved it. I mean, wtf does the guy have to do besides catch every ball thrown his way, either make the first guy miss or throw him a John Riggins style stiff arm, move the chains, and rip off huge chunks of yards when there is any reasonable amount of daylight to run to? Honestly, I didn't see him miss one assignment and after watching the game twice, I could not find any run he had where he didn't get the max yards a guy could possibly get out of a play. I think McD is finding out what Shanny found out late last year. It's hard not to keep this guy on the field. He is a match up nightmare. He blocks like a tank, runs faster then you think he would and it's almost a given that one tackler is not gonna bring him down. He will either make a cut and make them miss, plow them over or give them a stiff arm. I still don't see how some of the people on this board can say he's not a great runner and he would be better utilized as a FB or H-back. F that. He can play FB when Moreno needs to get some carries but there is no reason this guy should not get 20 carries a game.
this. all of it
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I agree 100%!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

He proved it last year - he just solidified that last night. The guy is a starting HB in this league, and one to be reckoned with.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Sorry but the reality is that IF he emerges healthy or when he does, Moreno will wind up the starter. I'm not sure it matters who starts in this offense though. Both will get carries and I like Hillis AND Moreno staying on the field at the same time. There's no reason a fullback can't get carries. In fact they can even swing Moreno into an H-back position if they want him to get the ball from the TB spot so he has a better view of the LOS. This is a non issue IMO...as long as they are both in the game who cares what position they carry the ball from? The unfortunate part would be if Hillis winds up starting by default and our new franchise RB is on IR starting the season.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

His production has always been excellent. I don't understand why he has to keep proving himself. It must be the color of his skin.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Fortunately, it is not either/or.

We need BOTH Moreno and Hillis.

They are going to be a devastating combo.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

isn't he white though?
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

I've been saying this since the start of camp. I'm not sure Hillis has to be "the starter," but McDaniels is going to realize that he has no choice but to give Hillis more carries. If you look at how we started the game, Hillis was blocking, running routes, etc. In other words, we were being cute with him. Shanahan tried the same thing for a while until he realized that you just hand this guy the ball and let him run.

McDaniels will realize this, and Hillis will be splitting carries with someone, I'd suspect. I don't know that he'll be named a starter, but he very well may be the most effective back on our roster, until Moreno knows the system and is healthy. Even then, those two may be a nice compliment.

I understand that the inclination is to move Hillis all over the place because he's athletic. But, he's an extremely effective 1st down running back. There's no need to outsmart ourselves with this guy. Give him the ****ing rock 15 times a game, minimum.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I understand that the inclination is to move Hillis all over the place because he's athletic. But, he's an extremely effective 1st down running back. There's no need to outsmart ourselves with this guy. Give him the ****ing rock 15 times a game, minimum.
Well said. Orton should have never had to throw the first pick. Put Larsen in at FB, give the ball to Hillis and pound the ball into the end zone. Had McD simply done this, Orton could have sat his ass on the bench and there would be no melt downs.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
adamman41
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

did you guys think you saw him lose a little powetr that he had last year because of the hamstring injury or did he look back to the guy he was late last year fully healthy? I had a tough telling if he's all the way back from his injury and playing with that same level of bulldozing ability. what did you guys think?
adamman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsco70 View Post
Well said. Orton should have never had to throw the first pick. Put Larsen in at FB, give the ball to Hillis and pound the ball into the end zone. Had McD simply done this, Orton could have sat his ass on the bench and there would be no melt downs.
I think McD's plan was to just throw him to the wolves and let him fend for himself. Orton needs to fight through all of this pressure. I feel somewhat bad for the guy. He played well as a starter, but lost his gig... and then gets traded into a total ****-storm by no fault of his own.

But, he's got a chance to be a starter in a quality offense, now. The jitters didn't surprise me. Two of those throws were horrible, though... and not typical of how he played as a Bear. I think it was nerves, a new system, etc.

But, we'll see. Simms looked cool and collected, but nothing was expected of him and he played against 2nd stringers in what looked like a scaled-down version of our offense. I like Simms, though. Great option to have.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Hillis looked great but we still should use him in 2 back sets as a FB I was impressed when he did block out there.

but yeah my guess is he will see a lot more carries, praying knowshon is healthy tho by the regular season.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elway View Post
isn't he white though?
exactly
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsco70 View Post
I'm betting that McD will do this when the bullets are flying for real. Or at laest I'm hoping he will.

Preseason games are not about winning but rather putting your players in tough situations to evaluate. Orton failed his first test.... but it's way early.

You can tell that McD is learning to trust Hillis to move the chains. Give a few to Royal and Hillis to move the chains so we can extend drives longer to evaluate everyone else. Of course we can't do that to much or we won't be doing much evaluating.... winning preseason games perhaps.... but not enough grading out players.

I think we're going to have a decent team this year..... barring the fact we need a starting QB. We have two decent back-up QB's battling for field time while holding a spot for our future starter that is somewhere out in the galaxy far.... far... away.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

Zona has run on sentenced teh correct!
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

he is the mang!
Que is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamman41 View Post
did you guys think you saw him lose a little powetr that he had last year because of the hamstring injury or did he look back to the guy he was late last year fully healthy? I had a tough telling if he's all the way back from his injury and playing with that same level of bulldozing ability. what did you guys think?
Actually, I thought Hillis showed better burst and top speed last night then at anytime during last year. He's back for sure.

I agree with Popps, less moving Hillis all over the damn field. Throw a spread formation out there with 2 TE and 3WR and just hand that man the rock. They could seriously just run it down people's throats, even when the other team knows that's what we are going to do.

Moreno will definitely help when he gets back because he did look good. But I think everybody can agree with Hillis and Moreno are both much better options then Buckhalter and Jordan. Both of those guys looked slow and weak. No pop at all to their running and definitely not explosive out of their stance.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'd lol if Hillis showed up to the next practice in black face to try and get some rep at RB.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I've been saying this since the start of camp. I'm not sure Hillis has to be "the starter," but McDaniels is going to realize that he has no choice but to give Hillis more carries. If you look at how we started the game, Hillis was blocking, running routes, etc. In other words, we were being cute with him. Shanahan tried the same thing for a while until he realized that you just hand this guy the ball and let him run.

McDaniels will realize this, and Hillis will be splitting carries with someone, I'd suspect. I don't know that he'll be named a starter, but he very well may be the most effective back on our roster, until Moreno knows the system and is healthy. Even then, those two may be a nice compliment.

Moreno looked explosive if he isn't injured all the time like Torain he should be the starter.

Hillis should be the #2 guy, I am not sold on him as FB. I wish we had a true FB. Hillis should be a H-back

Buckhalter and Jordan should be backups for depth.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
But I think everybody can agree with Hillis and Moreno are both much better options then Buckhalter and Jordan. Both of those guys looked slow and weak. No pop at all to their running and definitely not explosive out of their stance.
I didn't see enough of Buckhalter to make a call... Looked like he has good quickness, but he never had much room to run. However, Jordan looked like a total stiff. Just running (slowly) into the backs of the o-line. He was worse than I expected, and there is no way in the world he is a better back than Hillis.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Moreno healthy > Hillis.

Hills as a combo-back (HB/FB) with Moreno = teh awesome.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #24
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'd lol if Hillis showed up to the next practice in black face to try and get some rep at RB.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Moreno healthy > Hillis.
Ummm No. There is no way anybody can say that, not yet at least. He only carried the ball 3 or 4 times and that's the extent of his NFL resume. We all have high hopes for him and we believe he is going to be a great back but calling him a better RB then Hillis right now is atrociously premature. I guess I'm old fashioned where I want to see a player prove he is better then somebody, not just slap that label on him for wishful thinking.