The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default How to Watch Preseason Games

After the post I had earlier in the day about how to watch TC situations on the practice field I wanted to get some much more detailed info to those who want it.

I am borrowing this from MHR and this is a very good article on what to look for in the Preseason froma DEN broncos perspective:

How to Watch the Preseason Games -

Let's talk about the mysterious and controversial preseason games. Controversial, because coaches have to weigh the value of getting players ready or evaluated versus injured. Controversial, because the League, networks, and even fans can't agree on issues surrounding ticket prices and revenue for games that "don't count". But mysterious, because we as fans have to balance cheering for our team to win knowing that the team isn't going all out for a win. So what do we watch for?

Here's a guide to watching the preseason games in a manner that allows you to learn about the team, evaluate players, and gauge the team's success moving forward, regardless of what the scoreboard says.

Different coaches approach the preseason differently, but all coaches are a little more vanilla than they would be if the game counted. They aren't going to show every wrinkle of a system. They are also going to call plays to test a team in a situation, even if the situation doesn't exist (such as a two-minute drill at the end of a half even though the team leads, or going for it on fourth down, even though the game condition calls for a punt).

Some coaches, like Mike Shanahan, believe in the school of thought that you "Play a preseason game like you would a regular game." In other words, play to win. Denver fans may be used to winning preseason games, but this may not happen under Josh McDaniels. Shanahan took it easy on the players in camp (compared to most teams), but in the PS he generally called the game the way he might in a regular game. For this reason, he also got a lot more PS wins. Did this count against his ability to evaluate? Not at all. Mike is also a coach that has his mind pretty much made up near the start of camp who is going to be on the roster, so he is ahead of the curve. Still, he'll make some calls to try out scenarios that he wouldn't do if the game counted.

We'll have to see if McDaniels is more concerned with evaluating talent and schemes than pumping up the team early with wins that are (to some degree) "meaningless".

So what do we watch for in a Denver PS game? The coaches are still holding back, and the competitions are more settled than most fans might think, right? Well, there's a lot to watch for. Here's what I'll be watching for if I'm lucky enough to catch a game.

Continued on their site....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/8...reseason-depth
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Sweet - thanks!
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
mizzoutigers
Seasoned Veteran

now i can enjoy the game
mizzoutigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Message to certain people on this board - Don't freak out if if we lose any (or all) of our preseason games!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Message to certain people on this board - Don't freak out if if we lose any (or all) of our preseason games!
on this board. I just want to see progress in first three games no injuries and see young guys play big. If we win great but, if we don't so be it.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Last year it was evident in the preseason that we still couldn't stop the run or pass. Thats the only thing I'll be looking for
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Last year it was evident in the preseason that we still couldn't stop the run or pass. Thats the only thing I'll be looking for
that is about it.
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Preseason games don't bother me. Sometimes they are on a Friday...with less people there. It makes you kinda appreciate the full blown deal even more.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Gah! I was hoping this was a way to WATCH the game.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Nicely done by MHR.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I generally am happy if we "win" a game in the first quarter or when the projected starters are in.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Actually last year I thought we were going to be good at stopping the run after the preseason. We were 7th in yards allowed and 7th in yards per carry in the preseason.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #13
uplink
Ring of Famer

From what I've read many of the MHR articles are kind of patronizing and overly sensational, including this one.

I think a lot of posters on this board have much deeper insight into football than the MHR articles without the 'let the master show you' attitude. Just my thought for what it is worth.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #14
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Actually last year I thought we were going to be good at stopping the run after the preseason. We were 7th in yards allowed and 7th in yards per carry in the preseason.
we also were doing solid against the run our first 4 games of the reg season against the run untill we went to the 3-4 and got blown up by LJ, it was downhill from there, as players didnt know what the hell was going on.....our pass defense was the start of all our problems last year, the we decided ten yd cushions rushing only 3 DL and horrible safties were the answer.....That KC loss was the start of everything.....

i am willing to bet if we didnt try that mid-season BS and slowik was at least halfway competent. we wouldnt have been ranked as bad as we were against the run.

i dont think its a coincidence that the first thing MCD overhauled was the secondary after watching our first 4 games......and the subsequent damge the rest of the season.
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #15
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Here's my guide:

1. Get all hyped up like it's a regular season game, although in the back of your mind you know it's not so it's a bit like snorting cocaine that you know has a lot of flour in it.

2. Enjoy the **** out of the opening drive because you know the starters are coming out pretty soon.

3. Get really disappointed when the starting offense looks like ****, start to wonder about your team's chances this year.

4. Overreact to one great play, spend the rest of the evening replaying it in your head.

5. Try to feign interest in the second team. Start looking at your watch.

6. Halftime. Look for something good to eat. Post on Chiefsplanet and rip some "sky is falling" a-hole.

7. Return to game. Wonder who half the players are. Laugh at third-string quarterback. Attempt to care. Give mock cheers for big plays thrown in here and there.

8. Wander back into kitchen and look for something to eat.

9. Begin to get very ****ing bored as sixth-string tailback starts living the dream, running dive plays every other down.

10. Fall asleep and dream of the regular season. If anything good happened, wake up in the morning and over hype it on the Mane as proof of your team's awesomeness.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #16
Pat Bowlen
President/Chief Executive

Stick to the kitchen, Bob.
Pat Bowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #17
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Here's my guide:

1. Get all hyped up like it's a regular season game, although in the back of your mind you know it's not so it's a bit like snorting cocaine that you know has a lot of flour in it.

2. Enjoy the **** out of the opening drive because you know the starters are coming out pretty soon.

3. Get really disappointed when the starting offense looks like ****, start to wonder about your team's chances this year.

4. Overreact to one great play, spend the rest of the evening replaying it in your head.

5. Try to feign interest in the second team. Start looking at your watch.

6. Halftime. Look for something good to eat. Post on Chiefsplanet and rip some "sky is falling" a-hole.

7. Return to game. Wonder who half the players are. Laugh at third-string quarterback. Attempt to care. Give mock cheers for big plays thrown in here and there.

8. Wander back into kitchen and look for something to eat.

9. Begin to get very ****ing bored as sixth-string tailback starts living the dream, running dive plays every other down.

10. Fall asleep and dream of the regular season. If anything good happened, wake up in the morning and over hype it on the Mane as proof of your team's awesomeness.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #18
kent156
King of the Ants

Quote:
I got a feeling mcdaniels will be going for the wins especially after Orton getting booed Thursday night and the game planning the broncos are seem to be putting in. I'm not hearing much of the vanilla game plan being thrown around.
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #19
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
From what I've read many of the MHR articles are kind of patronizing and overly sensational, including this one.

I think a lot of posters on this board have much deeper insight into football than the MHR articles without the 'let the master show you' attitude. Just my thought for what it is worth.
That is an interesting perception. Hoosier Teacher is a football coach here in Indiana that really knows his stuff. He writes about how a coach views things, rather than a fan. I think that can sometimes come back to haunt you with people thinking you are condescending because they are not on the same perceptions that you are. I know for my first year on the mane everyone thought I was condescending and that was with the old school football posters

What I would say to you, is that most fans think they know what they see to be true as opposed to emotionally detached opinion. It is hard to evaluate something when you allow emotional responses to factor into the analysis. This is what 98% of fans do because they do not know enough about WHAT is going on to seperate performance from the emotional reaction of the outcome of the play. This is a big reason why I watch a TON of football that is not specifically the Broncos. That way I have a baseline of what is going on that is not emotionally biased on outcome. Also, I break down the film after the game and try and disprove what I saw initially in case what I saw was biased by the outcome.

Now, I realize that not everyone can do this amount of study and time commitment. That is why I continue to post here. To try and give people a neutral opinion on what I see after dispassionately analyzing what was said. You can not make everyone happy though if you give an opinion of what you see. I know I antagonize plenty of people who disagree with my analysis or opinion. However, I always try and have an explanation for it that is beyond emotional and philosophical. Then, I hope they want dialogue instead of diatribe
Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #20
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
How do the cheerleaders look? Are they as hot as last year? (Yes, this is important).
Lol, that's a good one to watch for.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

What I wanted to do with this post is for people to realize that TC and Preseason is about getting better for the real games. Sometimes, that includes poor play when you try to do something that is harder than it seems. However, if you never try to do something in pratice that is difficult, you will never develop and get better.

I realize in this culture everyone thinks you can just instantly get better somehow and without failure somewhere. However, the reality is that failure shows you are pushing the limits to get better. Most people fail their first time at doing something new. Lets just realize that as you watch TC and preseason. Its about getting better and prepared for the real deal, not about creating false instant success.....
Old 08-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I knew Posting this would be worthless. Especially when all people care about is comparing Orton's performance versus Cutler's. If your that shortsighted and stupid I am sorry you ever watch a game as complex as football.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #23
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I knew Posting this would be worthless. Especially when all people care about is comparing Orton's performance versus Cutler's. If your that shortsighted and stupid I am sorry you ever watch a game as complex as football.
Hopefully one day I can be as awsome as the one they call Mediator12...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Hopefully one day I can be as awsome as the one they call Mediator12...
You are, its just in Survivor
Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Preseason for me is a good chance to see some of the younger guys that are around or have been around for a while play. A chance to see late round draft picks and how they stack up against NFL talent. And in all honestly...its a warm up for football season...thats about it.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote