The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default Camp Confidential: McDaniels Is In Control

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- There's no doubt: Josh McDaniels means business in Denver. At 33, the former New England golden child is the man in charge.

"It's his team," said receiver Eddie Royal.

We found that out very early in McDaniels' regime, after the former New England offensive coordinator was hired to replace Mike Shanahan following a 14-year run in Denver. Even though both are regarded as offensive masters, Shanahan and McDaniels see the football world differently.

One of my favorites in this column is this part.

Some veterans this week said that Shanahan's way got stale. They are willing to give the McDaniels way a whirl. They have no choice, however. He's going to do it anyway -- whether they like it or not.

Read all of it here. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...n-control.html

I'm sure this is something we have all heard before though, but I just thought I'd share since I'm bored at work.
GreatBronco16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

...duh?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

burger bill to the rescue!
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Popps
It's so easy

For all the chatter, I haven't read a single player account of any sort of discord in camp. Even Marshall has talked a good game about the new admin.

The answer will come a year or so from now. Are we improved? Are we winning, or at least on the way? If we are... then I imagine guys will continue to buy in. If we're struggling mightily, then they'll start to question his system/methods.

But, right now... I get the sense that this is an excited group of guys an imo, for good reason.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Doing it Shanahan's way with Jay Cutler, or McDaniels way with Orton. Yeah, I like Shanny and Cutler a whole lot better.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Doing it Shanahan's way with Jay Cutler, or McDaniels way with Orton. Yeah, I like Shanny and Cutler a whole lot better.

Tons of yards, not so many points...even fewer wins. The Cutler/Shanahan way. Those days are gone my friend. Embrace the future.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
If only it were that simple.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
for fantasy football maybe

division titles and playoff wins...not so much
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
I loved Shanahan, as well. But, it's time to build a complete team. It's not just about the QB.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
Denver '78
Lux et Veritas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Harris

I'll give credit where credit is due and now certainly is not the time to start dishing it out...but im constructively optimistic.
Denver '78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver '78 View Post
I'll give credit where credit is due and now certainly is not the time to start dishing it out...but im constructively optimistic.
My sentiment as well.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
So you like to lose?
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
How can you like something more than something no one has seen yet?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

The article is just another fluff piece. Every time there is a new coach or coordinator there are articles pointing out the differences, and the players will always say that they like it better. Without fail the players will say that. And a lot of times that new coach or coordinator goes out and sucks. It's training camp, so the players are going to act like all the changes are positive, and the writers will write that. So I don't really buy into it.

Is the situation better this year? Not even close. This team was some defensive changes (mostly from the coordinator's position) from being legit. Now I could live with McDaniels/Cutler, but McDaniels/Orton? No thanks. I wouldn't take Shanny/Orton either. Really, when it comes down to it, any equation that has Orton as QB is not a good situation. It's not a winner.

Now I hope they prove me wrong. I'm rooting for them to prove me wrong. I get the feeling that there are a lot of people around here that would love to see McDaniels and Orton fail just to be right. I'd love to be wrong here, but I don't have too much faith in that.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The article is just another fluff piece. Every time there is a new coach or coordinator there are articles pointing out the differences, and the players will always say that they like it better. Without fail the players will say that. And a lot of times that new coach or coordinator goes out and sucks. It's training camp, so the players are going to act like all the changes are positive, and the writers will write that. So I don't really buy into it.

Is the situation better this year? Not even close. This team was some defensive changes (mostly from the coordinator's position) from being legit. Now I could live with McDaniels/Cutler, but McDaniels/Orton? No thanks. I wouldn't take Shanny/Orton either. Really, when it comes down to it, any equation that has Orton as QB is not a good situation. It's not a winner.

Now I hope they prove me wrong. I'm rooting for them to prove me wrong. I get the feeling that there are a lot of people around here that would love to see McDaniels and Orton fail just to be right. I'd love to be wrong here, but I don't have too much faith in that.
Agreed... This is fluff. None of this stuff means anything until the season starts (although, I still enjoy reading it). However - we didn't trade Cutler for just Orton. We essentially traded Cutler for Orton, Smith, Ayers, and 1/2 of Richard Quinn. Cutler is definitely a more talented QB than Kyle Orton, but don't forget that the goal is to build a team here. We have accumulated some nice talent to surround Orton, and hopefully we can have an elite running game (which seems to be a possibility with our backs and line), an average defense, and maybe that can turn into something special.

I can't wait for the season to start. That's where we as fans will get our first taste of what McDaniels is really building.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yawn. This means nothing if he doesnt win and soon. Remember, "Ill take care of it." We all know how successful that was.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Yawn. This means nothing if he doesnt win and soon. Remember, "Ill take care of it." We all know how successful that was.
well, he DID take care of it.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Really, when it comes down to it, any equation that has Orton as QB is not a good situation. It's not a winner.

Ortons overall win/loss record says otherwise.

And before you go off trying to tell me that Chicago had a good defense, remember what you said..... "Any equation that has Orton as a QB is not a winner"
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
well, he DID take care of it.
Actually, Bowlen took care of it.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Love Shanahan, however he even admits he needed to take a step back. He has recently said he has studied football more this off season then has had in 10 years. To me that was a sure sign he was in a rut. He/We needed a change.

As for Cutler,,, piss on him. Can't wait until he explodes/implodes in Chicago. Ton of yards, ton of losses.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:

You do know that Orton has a winning record as a QB, while Jay doesn't right? Either way, it is a team game, and Shanahan said he would keep Slowik as Defensive coordinator. McDaniels+Nolan>Shanahan+Slowik.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosfreak_56 View Post
You do know that Orton has a winning record as a QB, while Jay doesn't right? Either way, it is a team game, and Shanahan said he would keep Slowik as Defensive coordinator. McDaniels+Nolan>Shanahan+Slowik.
Amazing
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #23
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Amazing
Thanks for that well thought out, insightful post.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosfreak_56 View Post
Thanks for that well thought out, insightful post.
It was commensurate with yours.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Ortons overall win/loss record says otherwise.

And before you go off trying to tell me that Chicago had a good defense, remember what you said..... "Any equation that has Orton as a QB is not a winner"

Yeah, but that would be any equation with the Broncos. Sorry I didn't spell that out. If the Broncos had the Bears defense my opinion would be different. But the Broncos don't have a defense anywhere near the Bears, so any equation with Orton is a horrible one.