The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Bailey feeling fit and ready to roll for Broncos defense

FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE

DENVER — Champ Bailey doesn’t look like he has lost a step at age 31.

In training camp, the Denver Broncos cornerback has appeared as spry as the last time he was totally healthy, when he was shutting down New England’s Randy Moss last Oct. 20. Moss scored a pair of touchdowns after Bailey hurt his groin, an injury that cost him seven games.

“I feel pretty good,” said Bailey, who also needed surgery on his elbow after hurting it in the season finale. “Feel real fresh.”

Bailey’s camp has been highlighted by a few jaw-dropping interceptions. On Sunday he seemed to misdiagnose a play and took a step in, only to recover in coverage and then twist his body for an interception that was thrown well behind him.

Bailey should help the defense, which might cost the team some money. Bailey has two years left on his contract, but will likely want an extension next offseason.

He has a $3 million roster bonus due March 1 and a $9.5 million base salary in 2010. The Broncos have probably held off on an extension because they want to see if he has a healthy season first.

Bailey will presumably desire a contract that makes him among the top paid cornerbacks in the NFL, even as he enters his mid-30s. The team will have to decide if they let one of their best and most popular players play out his contract.

Bailey wants a chance at a championship and said he likes what he has seen from the Broncos this month. He said he wants to be with the Broncos after 2010.

“I would love to be here,” Bailey said. “But I’ve got to take care of myself and my career.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/denver-59960--.html
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

Champ will be in his first contract year since he came to Denver. Lock it down.
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post
FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE

DENVER — Champ Bailey doesn’t look like he has lost a step at age 31.

In training camp, the Denver Broncos cornerback has appeared as spry as the last time he was totally healthy, when he was shutting down New England’s Randy Moss last Oct. 20. Moss scored a pair of touchdowns after Bailey hurt his groin, an injury that cost him seven games.

“I feel pretty good,” said Bailey, who also needed surgery on his elbow after hurting it in the season finale. “Feel real fresh.”

Bailey’s camp has been highlighted by a few jaw-dropping interceptions. On Sunday he seemed to misdiagnose a play and took a step in, only to recover in coverage and then twist his body for an interception that was thrown well behind him.

Bailey should help the defense, which might cost the team some money. Bailey has two years left on his contract, but will likely want an extension next offseason.

He has a $3 million roster bonus due March 1 and a $9.5 million base salary in 2010. The Broncos have probably held off on an extension because they want to see if he has a healthy season first.

Bailey will presumably desire a contract that makes him among the top paid cornerbacks in the NFL, even as he enters his mid-30s. The team will have to decide if they let one of their best and most popular players play out his contract.

Bailey wants a chance at a championship and said he likes what he has seen from the Broncos this month. He said he wants to be with the Broncos after 2010.

“I would love to be here,” Bailey said. “But I’ve got to take care of myself and my career.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/denver-59960--.html

Weasel Words.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I just have a feeling he might be gone after season if things aren't looking good.

He wants a ring and we are no where near that right now.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

He had a great couple of practices. Hopefully he's back at 100%, and we can reap the benefits.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have been fully behind the FO with every move this offseason. I am more thrilled about the next 2-3 seasons than I have been in years! But if they don't extend Champ, I would be extremely pissed... as would alot of the Bronco faithful who have stuck by this team through the ups and downs. IMO He's as much a Bronco as Elway, TD, Wilson, Nails, etc. ever were.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I just have a feeling he might be gone after season if things aren't looking good.

He wants a ring and we are no where near that right now.
We're not as far off as you might think.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Lets see how champ does this season. If he stinks it up then i don't want him back but if he's the champ we know and love then sign him!
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #9
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

I really hope he retires as a Bronco, one of my favorites.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus4444 View Post
Lets see how champ does this season. If he stinks it up then i don't want him back but if he's the champ we know and love then sign him!
I doubt he will suck, because he's never sucked.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #11
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

He's good, but I'd be more suprised than not if we paid him as the top CB in the league at the end of this season.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
He's good, but I'd be more suprised than not if we paid him as the top CB in the league at the end of this season.
Well I don't think he'll be paid as THE top CB. He already got to be the highest paid CB once with his last contract and he is getting up there in years. Players (excluding QBs) don't usually get two record-breaking contracts in their careers. That being said, if he stays, he will most definitely still be paid as a top 3 - 5 CB, which is still probably commensurate with his level of play, even at his age.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Caveat Lector
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
No CB is ever going to be paid as much as Al did for Asomugha.

He'll still get top 5 CB money because if Denver don't someone else will...
Caveat Lector is offline   Reply With Quote