The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,968

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Aaron Curry Rapes Seattle worse!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4386263

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks first-round draft choice Aaron Curry ran onto the practice field to applause Saturday after signing a multiyear contract with the team.

Curry signed a six-year, $60 million deal that includes $34 million in guarantees, according to a source. The contract is the richest for a rookie non-quarterback in NFL history.

Last year's No. 4 overall pick, running back Darren McFadden, got $26 million guaranteed from Oakland.

Curry, the fourth overall choice in the 2009 NFL draft out of Wake Forest, had missed the first eight days of camp. The linebacker's agreement leaves six first-rounders without contracts.

"I am just as excited to be out here and just to see the emotion from the fans and get back with my team is just an amazing feeling," Curry said.

The Seahawks saved a spot for Curry in their starting lineup. They expect him to line up with Leroy Hill and three-time Pro Bowl choice Lofa Tatupu when the regular season opens.

On his first play, Curry was matched up against tight end Cameron Morrah, and was roasted on a square-in route. One fan sarcastically yelled out, "Welcome to the NFL."

"He wasn't in there with the first group just because he's got so much catching up to do," Mora said. "I don't know at what point we'll make the switch and he'll start running out there with the first defense, but I think it will be pretty soon."

Although he worked out and studied his playbook in nearby Bellevue during the holdout, Curry said he grew anxious and eventually told his agents to speed up the contract negotiations.

Fellow rookie Deon Butler filled Curry in on practice matters during the holdout, and Tatupu also visited, giving him a mini-walkthrough of what the defense was working on. But Tatupu believed Curry would acclimate himself quickly.

"Linebacker, it's not like it's rocket science," Tatupu said with a laugh. "Just hit the man with the ball."

Mora credited general manager Tim Ruskell for working the phones with Curry's representatives late into Friday night.

"This is probably the longest contract we'll ever do, in terms of pages and volume and little nuances to the deal," Ruskell said.

Only top overall pick Matthew Stafford, the quarterback drafted by Detroit, has received a richer guarantee -- $41.7 million -- from this year's draft.

ESPN.com's Mike Sando and John Clayton contributed to this report. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 1,552

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

At least he is going to be a playmaker.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,800
Default

Damn.

At what point does this have to be put in check? Draft picks are an absolute crap-shoot. This seems like a bad business model, at a certain point.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Damn.

At what point does this have to be put in check? Draft picks are an absolute crap-shoot. This seems like a bad business model, at a certain point.
Very bad.
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson
 
_Oro_'s Avatar
 
Don't run that sh*t this way.

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers
Default

"Linebacker, it's not like it's rocket science," Tatupu said with a laugh. "Just hit the man with the ball."

Love comments like these.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

I like how Seattle will use him. Something about him would make me leary of him being the defensive centerpiece, but with Tatupu in place, this should work well.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Javalon
Just Drafted
 
Javalon's Avatar
 
Broncos rule the 'verse!

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Damn.

At what point does this have to be put in check? Draft picks are an absolute crap-shoot. This seems like a bad business model, at a certain point.
Who the hell wants it, anyway? Almost all the vets are against it, the owners and staff are against it. The players' union wants it but aren't they supposed to represent what the players themselves actually want? The rookies and their agents obviously want it but they are utterly in the minority.

I really don't get why this hasn't been stopped yet. It makes me want to puke every time I hear about another ridiculous contract for players who haven't done jack in the NFL yet are and are nothing more than potential.

From a purely monetary perspective, I never want the Broncos to draft in the top 10 again. If we get a pick up there, trade down!
Javalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalon View Post
Who the hell wants it, anyway? Almost all the vets are against it, the owners and staff are against it. The players' union wants it but aren't they supposed to represent what the players themselves actually want? The rookies and their agents obviously want it but they are utterly in the minority.

I really don't get why this hasn't been stopped yet. It makes me want to puke every time I hear about another ridiculous contract for players who haven't done jack in the NFL yet are and are nothing more than potential.

From a purely monetary perspective, I never want the Broncos to draft in the top 10 again. If we get a pick up there, trade down!
same here
top draft picks are hurting their teams more than helping them because these contracts are so ridiculous these players cant "earn" them

Good news this year if for whatever reason we tank like some think, we wont have to dish out 35 + million for a rookie unless Chicago tanks
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Much safer money than the Stafford deal. Unless Curry is hit with the injury bug, this is probably a safe long term contract.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosfreak_56 View Post
At least he is going to be a playmaker.
Maybe, but like Robert Ayers and Tyson Jackson, he is not a sack guy. They've shown alotta Curry highlights here, and he reminds me of D.J. Williams. Let's hope they don't squander his talent with foolish position shifts.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalon View Post
From a purely monetary perspective, I never want the Broncos to draft in the top 10 again. If we get a pick up there, trade down!
Honestly, it makes you wonder.... doesn't it?

How much more valuable to a franchise is the #7 pick any draft compared to the #15?

Can you imagine paying two top 10 draft picks these days? You'd be looking at $70M guaranteed up front for a couple of guys that may never even deserve to make an NFL roster.

I remember some people saying it was nuts to sign John Abraham (for example) to a $40M contract, or so. Now, you've got guys who never stepped on an NFL field getting paid more.

I don't know what the answer is, but if I run an NFL franchise, I start to be very careful about just how badly I want to pick in the top 10. I'd rather use that money to extend current performers and to sign proven starters out of FA.... and do quality bargain hunting in the draft.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,210
Default

Totally Ridiculous but he was the safest sure thing IMO
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,721

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

he got 35 mil gauranteed for 6 year deal, tyson got 31 mil gauranteed on a 5 year deal, big difference.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,968

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Honestly, it makes you wonder.... doesn't it?

How much more valuable to a franchise is the #7 pick any draft compared to the #15?

Can you imagine paying two top 10 draft picks these days? You'd be looking at $70M guaranteed up front for a couple of guys that may never even deserve to make an NFL roster.

I remember some people saying it was nuts to sign John Abraham (for example) to a $40M contract, or so. Now, you've got guys who never stepped on an NFL field getting paid more.

I don't know what the answer is, but if I run an NFL franchise, I start to be very careful about just how badly I want to pick in the top 10. I'd rather use that money to extend current performers and to sign proven starters out of FA.... and do quality bargain hunting in the draft.
Thats what New England has been doing for years. It's how they're always so competitive.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Thats what New England has been doing for years. It's how they're always so competitive.
While I'll agree they've done a great job scouting and using their opportunities well, they've also never shied away from their early picks.

They just hit with them.

Richard Seymour 6th overall
Jerod Mayo 10th overall
Ty Warren 13th overall

They have ZERO history of shying away from taking players early.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,643

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

funny how so many posters have been crying about Denver trading away their first round pick next season.... There is a fair chance that the pick will be a top 10 pick and cost us a ton of future money against the cap, possibly at the expense of keeping some of players that will be needing a new contract ie Doom, Marshall, Scheffler.

Add me to the list of those that want to pass on the multi million dollar crap shoot.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
funny how so many posters have been crying about Denver trading away their first round pick next season.... There is a fair chance that the pick will be a top 10 pick and cost us a ton of future money against the cap, possibly at the expense of keeping some of players that will be needing a new contract ie Doom, Marshall, Scheffler.

Add me to the list of those that want to pass on the multi million dollar crap shoot.
I was just going to comment on that. And everybody wonders why Bowlen didn't want to pay 4 first round picks over 2 years. So I want every McD hater on this board to read this and STFU about the Smith pick.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
Javalon
Just Drafted
 
Javalon's Avatar
 
Broncos rule the 'verse!

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
funny how so many posters have been crying about Denver trading away their first round pick next season.... There is a fair chance that the pick will be a top 10 pick and cost us a ton of future money against the cap, possibly at the expense of keeping some of players that will be needing a new contract ie Doom, Marshall, Scheffler.

Add me to the list of those that want to pass on the multi million dollar crap shoot.
First off, I sure hope it isn't a top 10 pick. Ugh!

Second, I think most people weren't happy about trading off that pick for a second rounder when, as you say, it has the potential to pick a top-10 pick in 2010. If we'd had that pick we could, at the least, have traded it down for a lot more than a second-rounder.

But if Alphonso Smith becomes a Pro Bowl then this will all be moot.
Javalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
funny how so many posters have been crying about Denver trading away their first round pick next season.... There is a fair chance that the pick will be a top 10 pick and cost us a ton of future money against the cap, possibly at the expense of keeping some of players that will be needing a new contract ie Doom, Marshall, Scheffler.

Add me to the list of those that want to pass on the multi million dollar crap shoot.
Not funny.

There's a wealth of players that should be available in that high range that will be beyond worth it next season and won't be a "crap shoot" at all.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I was just going to comment on that. And everybody wonders why Bowlen didn't want to pay 4 first round picks over 2 years. So I want every McD hater on this board to read this and STFU about the Smith pick.
Flip side of this argument is that the NFL Players Union and the owners are gonna renegotiate the labor agreement soon, perhaps sooner than the next draft. If that's the case and there is a rookie cap... yah, Broncos just lost out...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
Javalon
Just Drafted
 
Javalon's Avatar
 
Broncos rule the 'verse!

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Honestly, it makes you wonder.... doesn't it?

How much more valuable to a franchise is the #7 pick any draft compared to the #15?

Can you imagine paying two top 10 draft picks these days? You'd be looking at $70M guaranteed up front for a couple of guys that may never even deserve to make an NFL roster.

I remember some people saying it was nuts to sign John Abraham (for example) to a $40M contract, or so. Now, you've got guys who never stepped on an NFL field getting paid more.

I don't know what the answer is, but if I run an NFL franchise, I start to be very careful about just how badly I want to pick in the top 10. I'd rather use that money to extend current performers and to sign proven starters out of FA.... and do quality bargain hunting in the draft.
Man, TWO top 10-picks would royally suck! There's no way I'd want that much cash tied up in players that would have a really hard time living up to their contracts.

Seriously, look back at the recent top 5-10 picks and it seems like more have NOT lived up to their contracts than those that have. That doesn't mean that a number of them aren't decent players but for that kind of money you can't settle for "decent" players.
Javalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Sixty mil for a LB? You've got to be ****ting me! If the NFL doesn't get a handle on this insanity, the game is doomed.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #23
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer
 
Mr.Meanie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,607

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javalon View Post
First off, I sure hope it isn't a top 10 pick. Ugh!

Second, I think most people weren't happy about trading off that pick for a second rounder when, as you say, it has the potential to pick a top-10 pick in 2010. If we'd had that pick we could, at the least, have traded it down for a lot more than a second-rounder.

But if Alphonso Smith becomes a Pro Bowl then this will all be moot.
Yeah? How well did that work out for KC?
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #24
Javalon
Just Drafted
 
Javalon's Avatar
 
Broncos rule the 'verse!

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not funny.

There's a wealth of players that should be available in that high range that will be beyond worth it next season and won't be a "crap shoot" at all.
I think the point of "crap shoot" is that you don't know which ones will be worth the money and which won't. Obviously all the scouting in the world can't reliably figure out who are the "sure things". If it could, there wouldn't be so many relative busts.
Javalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,567

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not funny.

There's a wealth of players that should be available in that high range that will be beyond worth it next season and won't be a "crap shoot" at all.
It absolutely IS a crapshoot. Matt Leinart and Vince Young were supposed to be better NFL quarterbacks than Cutler. We saw how all that worked out...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Denver Broncos