The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Paige: I know McDaniels is a brilliant young coach

Quote:
Woody, I am a long-time Bronco fan and am concerned about the events that have taken place since the nightmare against San Diego to finish the 2008 season. Are the Broncos moving in the right direction?
-- Bruce Jenkins, Wilmington, Del.

Bruce: Giddyup! When practice ended up the other day, Josh McDaniels walked up and said: "What do you think?" I felt like quoting Robert DeNiro out of "Taxi Driver:" "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?" Why would he ask me? I'm just a wordsmith. Actually, I'm just a blacksmith with a laptop. I replied: "The team looks great, and you utilize your practice time very well, and I like the watermelon for the players after the workout. May I have a slice of watermelon?"

The Broncos are moving in a new direction, but I don't know if it's the right direction. What I believe sincerely is if McDaniels hadn't gone through the Cutler Dilemma (which was like the "Borne Ultimatum") everybody would be excited about this training camp. After three one-on-one conversations with Josh lasting about five hours I know he is a brilliant young coach, and he will be a success with the Broncos ultimately. He's as sharp as Mike Shanahan was when he was an assistant here and later, as a head coach. Mike was so creative, and Josh is, too.

I thought the league caught up to Mike (who I spent time with recently in Lake Tahoe), and Mike will return as a different coach. But do the Broncos have the right mix now? The secondary is vastly improved. The defensive line is a real question mark, as far as I'm concerned. Even though the Broncos will rely on the outside

Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels talks with defensive coordinator Mike Nolan during practice on Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2009 at Dove Valley. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)linebackers to apply pressure to the quarterback, the starters at defensive end are question marks, and the depth at that I had written the Broncos should sign Ronnie Fields as a nose tackle, and position is shallow.

they agreed. He will be good in the middle. I'm not certain about the outside linebackers, but I'd love to see Robert Ayers, the rookie, and Jarvis Moss starting. They're big guys who can rush. But Moss probably will be traded or released, and Ayers won't start for four or five games.

Offensively, the Broncos will have a better running game, and I'm happy that they'll continue to zone block on the line most of the time. Brandon Marshall's injury and attitude will be a question, but Jabar Gaffney is a player, and Eddie Royal is a Pro Bowler in waiting. The offensive line, Mike said, is one of the best in the business.

But I'm worried about two dozen or more new players coming together with a new coaching staff, and new schemes, and I'm seriously worried about that schedule. Josh and I had a polite argument about the strength of schedule, but he knows it will be tough to beat Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Diego, Dallas I could go on.

Can Kyle Orton be more than an average quarterback? How quickly will running back Knowshon Moreno develop, and why was he so stupid to stay out of camp when he could have established himself as a starter? Will (bleep)
Field at Mile High ever become a dominant home-field advantage again?

Josh told he will use the hurry-up offense sometimes at home, but not to rip him if he doesn't do it early. Sometimes you need a change. The country needed a change, I believe. The Broncos needed a change, I believe. How will it play out? I'm impressed with what I've seen in training camp, but I haven't seen the Broncos win in Cincinnati yet. So, forgive me for reserving judgment. But, if you're a fan, hang in there. It will only get better.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13001862

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

He's pretty much where I'm at: There are things he really likes and things he thinks will still be a serious problem.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's pretty much where I'm at: There are things he really likes and things he thinks will still be a serious problem.
And even more than that, he's optimistic, with a "wait-and-see" attitude.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Al Wilson 4 Mayor
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Did you attend the practice last night? When I was reading the online blog from the Broncos website it sounded like the front seven was getting good pressure on the QB.

What would you attribute that to?

Does the front seven look that much better?

Does the O-line look rusty? Do you think the new scheme has anything to do with it?
Al Wilson 4 Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Nice to hear positive feedback about McDaniels potential. He still needs to win sooner vs. later.

If we can get to 8-8 this season, offset the A. Smith trade from the potential top 5 pick it could have been to maybe 14-20, we'll be in a much better spot this time next year. The move wouldn't look so silly.

Still, we need DL in the worst kinda way along with a WR who can take over once BMarsh leaves because we all know it will eventually happen.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That's a good article by Woody. He has those every now and then. :-) This is a process and Rome definitely wasn't built in a day and over hauling this defense isn't a one year wonder project.

We may surprise later in the season, but I expect a tough year with this schedule and all the changes that need to come together at once.

The intelligent fans will realize this and will not be screaming for Orton and McD's head after a few preseason games, or anytime really this year.

This is the 'get it together year' and 'turn the ship in the right direction' which is happening. I expect us to play exciting competitive ball by mid-season even though how many wins we can squeeze out of this schedule is up in the air. Anything more than last year is simply a big bonus this season.

But with the right kind of support and good picks next year and in FA we could really compete again, and certainly I expect to be deep in the hunt again for it all by year end of year three.

Last edited by Hulamau; 08-07-2009 at 07:30 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

We should be seeing Woody's 16-0 prediction any day now...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Black59Razor
McD Hater Assasin

Non-Spin Zone

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lee Robinson

Broncofans, may I sugest Tim Tebow as our first round draft choice next year?

He probably won't be a top 10 pick, yes he is 'unpolished' with regard to hisa throwing mechanics, but that can be fixed.

Everything else is off the charts, athleticism, size, arm strength, leadership qualities...and we already know McD has studied the Florida offense.

The perfect lump of clay for McD to mold.
Black59Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
We should be seeing Woody's 16-0 prediction any day now...

Yep, shouldn't be much longer
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Ditto for me too. Which is why I'm willing to give this team some time. I'm not looking for the team to turn it around it one season. I'm looking for them to make strides and play 4 quarters of tough football. If they do that and lose, sobeit, but they better put it on the line week in and week out.

Unfortunately, Pat Bowlen doesn't do him favors when he says on the radio that 8-8 isn't acceptable here. "Not for the fans and not for this owner." Folks like Kaylore, Apa, Montrose and myself are in the minority. I'd like to think we can be realistic with our expectations, but the general theme in Denver is... We weren't getting to the playoffs and this guy was brought in to get us to the playoffs... we better get to the playoffs or else. Then you sprinkle in a Jay Cutler debacle (who most on the OM would agree was a Baby J issue more than a McD issue) and I promise you 75% of the population in Denver still looks at McD as though he ran out a Pro-Bowl QB and replaced him with Kyle "Friggin" Orton.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
Did you attend the practice last night? When I was reading the online blog from the Broncos website it sounded like the front seven was getting good pressure on the QB.

Does the O-line look rusty? Do you think the new scheme has anything to do with it?

Lots of blitzing and masking that 4th rusher. The beauty of the 3-4 is that 4th rusher isn't a "known" like it is in a 4-3. So Nolan has done a pretty good job using several different players in the front 7 to be that 4th rusher...so in some cases, it's really not even considered a blitz.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
That's a good article by Woody. He has those every now and then. :-) This is a process and Rome definitely wasn't built in a day and over hauling this defense isn't a one year wonder project.

We may surprise later in the season, but I expect a tough year with this schedule and all the changes that need to come together at once.

The intelligent fans will realize this and will not be screaming for Orton and McD's head after a few preseason games, or anytime really this year.

This is the 'get it together year' and 'turn the ship in the right direction' which is happening. I expect us to play exciting competitive ball by mid-season even though how many wins we can squeeze out of this schedule is up in the air. Anything more than last year is simply a big bonus this season.

But with the right kind of support and good picks next year and in FA we could really compete again, and certainly I expect to be deep in the hunt again for it all by year end of year three.

You are making great points, however I think you're over simplifying the Broncos Fanbase. Sorry but not as many as you would like to think are as objective as you are. For some it is cut and dry, "They fired Shanahan b/c he wasn't making the playoffs... therefore it's playoffs or bust with the new guy."
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
You are making great points, however I think you're over simplifying the Broncos Fanbase. Sorry but not as many as you would like to think are as objective as you are. For some it is cut and dry, "They fired Shanahan b/c he wasn't making the playoffs... therefore it's playoffs or bust with the new guy."
....Which is really really stupid.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razor View Post

He probably won't be a top 10 pick, yes he is 'unpolished' with regard to hisa throwing mechanics, but that can be fixed.

Everything else is off the charts, athleticism, size, arm strength, leadership qualities...and we already know McD has studied the Florida offense.

I'd take him. In fact, I'd love to see us draft any one of the top 4 or 5 QBs in next year's draft. That isn't a knock on Orton. He's shown ability, I just think he is at his ceiling. Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, Snead, the list goes on and on for top QBs next year. I would hope that we would strongly consider it unless Orton is just amazing in this offense.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
....Which is really really stupid.
Completely. People don't take into account how much change we've gone through. And, like I said right, wrong or indifferent... McD errored in his dealings with Cutler and replaced him with Kyle Orton. But I agree, McD is fixing a lot of components of the Broncos so that we can mold a winning team for years, not just the occassional run. It will take a little bit of time.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

I have a headache.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razor View Post

Christ on a cracker, no. We already have a fullback in Hillis.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #18
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yep. Bronco fans are simpletons......

Really? Maybe some are.

D is always ahead of the O at the start of TC. Booing last night at the O was rather shortsighted.

But simpletons? Nah.

Really?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Yep. Bronco fans are simpletons......

Really? Maybe some are.

D is always ahead of the O at the start of TC. Booing last night at the O was rather shortsighted.

But simpletons? Nah.

Really?
Are you thinking about the millions of Bronco fans or the 1000 or so OMers? Big difference.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post

Our pass protection isn't much different and considering our entire line and line coach have all returned, I can;t imagine there is that much of a falloff from last year. We do have a solid offensive line. Still, I don't believe our D-line could be that great. So I attribute it to four things: As in other camps, the defense getting their sea legs earlier than the offense, the offensive line a bit rusty with the new play calling, the increased size on the D-line (Hamilton and Wiegman struggle against power tackles), and our lack of familiarity practicing against a 3-4.

This will be good for facing the Chargers because we will be more used to facing larger 3-4 fronts.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #21
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I have no doubt that McDaniels is an innovative and bright young coach....I just worry he will go the Shanny/Belichick route....that is get a head coaching job at a very young age, make some mistakes and get fired while cutting your teeth, go back to being a great coordinator for a few years, learn from your previous mistakes, and then become an excellent head coach the second time around for a different team.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Completely. People don't take into account how much change we've gone through. And, like I said right, wrong or indifferent... McD errored in his dealings with Cutler and replaced him with Kyle Orton. But I agree, McD is fixing a lot of components of the Broncos so that we can mold a winning team for years, not just the occassional run. It will take a little bit of time.

I think a lot of people dont think that the offense needed to be changed. Maybe better personnel or more balance but I dont think people see the necessity of a scheme change. A lot of people are still stuck on, "we needed to fix the defense, not the offense." And so to suffer because of a scheme change in offense is a problem of their own making.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #23
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Are you thinking about the millions of Bronco fans or the 1000 or so OMers? Big difference.
Your choice. You're the one implying that "many fans" are seeing things as "cut and dry". Simpletons love simplicity, eh?

People hanging on to th e"cutlergate" junk want to blame somebody for their loss of the "golden Boy", the "francise QB" or whatever they want to call him. Not gonna rehash anything. But even simpletons move on and think about where the team is at this point and where it is going, and know it takes time to get there.

Think about it before you emote.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Lots of blitzing and masking that 4th rusher. The beauty of the 3-4 is that 4th rusher isn't a "known" like it is in a 4-3. So Nolan has done a pretty good job using several different players in the front 7 to be that 4th rusher...so in some cases, it's really not even considered a blitz.
Do you think the Defense will get pushed all over the place and manhandled like they were against Jacksonville and Carolina this year for example
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I have no doubt that McDaniels is an innovative and bright young coach....I just worry he will go the Shanny/Belichick route....that is get a head coaching job at a very young age, make some mistakes and get fired while cutting your teeth, go back to being a great coordinator for a few years, learn from your previous mistakes, and then become an excellent head coach the second time around for a different team.
I think it could be similar to Rodriquez taking over for Michigan it's going to take time and we need a new QB
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote