The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Orton Boo'ed in the practice tonight ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090807/...n_broncos_camp

Don't like that at all ..... bad form if true, anyone went?

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. New Denver Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton didn't get the warm welcome he anticipated when he made his unofficial debut at Invesco Field on Thursday night.
Orton was booed by the crowd of 13,402 the largest crowd ever to watch a Broncos practice when he was picked off twice by free agent cornerback Andre' Goodman, the second of which was returned for a long touchdown.
Orton, who also was jeered when he threw behind wide receiver Chad Jackson, said afterward it was the crowd's prerogative to let the Broncos know how they felt.
Orton was acquired from Chicago in the offseason for Pro Bowl passer Jay Cutler.
The crowd also booed punter Brett Kern for a pair of poor punts and also let kicker Matt Prater have it for missing consecutive 43-yard field goal attempts at the end of the scrimmage.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) Rookie safety David Bruton is getting a crash course in the NFL following Brian Dawkins' injury.
Bruton, a free safety from Notre Dame, has stepped in at strong safety with Denver's first unit since Dawkins got hurt Tuesday. Dawkins is in his first season in Denver after 13 years in Philadelphia.
The Broncos have declined to reveal the nature or extent of Dawkins' injury, saying he'll be out a few days. He appeared to have hurt a wrist or hand during drills.
"What happened with Dawkins, it's sad, but you get your call, it's time to step up ... and hope for a speedy recovery," Bruton said.
The 35-year-old Dawkins, a seven-time Pro Bowl safety, was the cornerstone of Denver's offseason refurbishing project. He signed what is essentially a two-year, $9 million deal following a 13-year run in Philadelphia, where he was enormously popular with the city's traditionally tough fans.
Dawkins is clearly on the downside of his career. Still, he is a hard hitter and leader, the qualities coveted by new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. McDaniels was the New England Patriots offensive coordinator before replacing Mike Shanahan.
Dawkins said McDaniels envisions him playing a role similar to Rodney Harrison's in New England. Those plans are on hold, but nobody knows for how long.
"He will be out for a few days and then once he is ready to roll here, I wouldn't expect it to last too, too long. Certainly not anything devastating, but I am not going to go into details about what it is and all the rest of that," McDaniels said Wednesday.
Dawkins wasn't on the practice field Thursday morning. McDaniels won't be available until after the team's evening practice at Invesco Field, the Broncos' first training camp workout at their stadium in five years.
"Oh, I'm looking forward to it," Bruton said. "That will be my first time in an actual NFL stadium besides Indianapolis for the combine. I'm hoping not to disappoint. I feel very confident and I feel I've made a lot of strides."
Bruton said his adjustment from free safety to strong safety is going well.
"I played free safety throughout college and I'm in the box now," he said. "And my reads are getting a little better each day and I'm feeling a lot more comfortable."
First-round draft pick Robert Ayers of Tennessee wasn't as thrilled about the night workout.
"Not really, practice is practice," he said, noting that the thousands of fans that were expected won't come close to competing with the huge crowds that watched him work in college.
"Yeah, I'm used to 107,000," Ayers said. "So, this might be a step down."
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

WE NEED CUTLER BACK, MCDANIELS IS AN IDIOT!!!!!!1

There you go, should be about 5 pages.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Play bad and you'll get booed. Not really concerned. First week of camp. Very complex system.

Cassel was with the Pats for a while and it took him a good month to settle into a comfort zone when Brady went down. We're fortunate enough to have him getting time in camp and the softest part of our schedule (on paper) at the start of the season.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Cutler played just as bad in training camps but didn't get booed, its bush league.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Cutler was the golden boy.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Play bad and you'll get booed. Not really concerned. First week of camp. Very complex system.

Cassel was with the Pats for a while and it took him a good month to settle into a comfort zone when Brady went down. We're fortunate enough to have him getting time in camp and the softest part of our schedule (on paper) at the start of the season.
Except Cassel didn't have a track record of any sorts. No regular season experience whatsoever.

Orton has a long chronicle of crappy play to his credit...career 5.8 yards/attempt and a 55.3 completion percentage.

Orton blows.

Simms or bust.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Cutler was the golden boy.
Too true and sad at that. Fans have gotten dumb that has become glaringly apparent.

Its the first week and a half of camp. Boo during a game in week 12 but now is just lame and pathetic.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Of course Orton has a crappy track record. Half his ****ing starting experience (and thus statistics) was his rookie season (and for the Bears). What do you expect?
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
MVP-06
MVP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

were talkn bout praktis?
MVP-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

it is stupid to boo like that, it is our team so support it or don't go to the game...unless of course they were pining for the glory days of 2008 where we could **** away a huge division lead while losing to AFC powerhouse teams such as Buffalo and trotting out a defense that probably would have been schooled by every top 25 division 1 school last year

then feel free to boo, and go **** yourselves
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
yerner
Ring of Famer

wont be the last time
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco lb52 View Post
except cassel didn't have a track record of any sorts. No regular season experience whatsoever.

Orton has a long chronicle of crappy play to his credit...career 5.8 yards/attempt and a 55.3 completion percentage.

Orton blows.

Simms or bust.
fail...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Of course Orton has a crappy track record. Half his ****ing starting experience (and thus statistics) was his rookie season (and for the Bears). What do you expect?
The Bears thought so much of Orton they made him their third string QB, behind Rex Grossman and Brian Griese in 2006.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Orton is a big boy, he can take the boos..

but i'm disappointed the Broncos fans booed him...

thats ashame...the guy is trying to learn AND put on a show for the fans and thats the support they give him?...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Too true and sad at that. Fans have gotten dumb that has become glaringly apparent.

Its the first week and a half of camp. Boo during a game in week 12 but now is just lame and pathetic.
We shall see how things turn out.

Not being in Denver, it's hard for me to tell what the climate is. I've come to terms with the 4 or 5-win season we're facing, and many here on the 'Mane are pessimistic. The schedule is brutal. I'm still going to Thanksgiving and the Raiders in December. I'm still excited. But I wonder what other people, normal fans, the other thousands of people who aren't on this message board (or others) think.

But I agree, I wouldn't boo now. What's the point?

You want to know something interesting? On StubHub, the cheapest ticket for the Bears game, a preseason game at that, is $40. You can get cheaper tickets for the games against SD, Oakland, and KC, regular season games against division rivals. Granted, not much cheaper, I think $30 is the lowest. But still, I find it pretty telling. Cutler fever, baby.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
seanpgk
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
EVP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP-06 View Post
were talkn bout praktis?
Nice one JR...
seanpgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Throwing out his rookie season, in his fourth year in the league, Orton ranked 25th in the NFL in DVOA.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Orton is trash.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
We shall see how things turn out.

Not being in Denver, it's hard for me to tell what the climate is. I've come to terms with the 4 or 5-win season we're facing, and many here on the 'Mane are pessimistic. The schedule is brutal. I'm still going to Thanksgiving and the Raiders in December. I'm still excited. But I wonder what other people, normal fans, the other thousands of people who aren't on this message board (or others) think.

But I agree, I wouldn't boo now. What's the point?

You want to know something interesting? On StubHub, the cheapest ticket for the Bears game, a preseason game at that, is $40. You can get cheaper tickets for the games against SD, Oakland, and KC, regular season games against division rivals. Granted, not much cheaper, I think $30 is the lowest. But still, I find it pretty telling. Cutler fever, baby.
I would never boo the home team but I understand if its been a rough season and its game 12 but practice were you make mistakes so you don't in games its pathetic to boo. Those fans suck, period.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #19
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
Except Cassel didn't have a track record of any sorts. No regular season experience whatsoever.

Orton blows.

Simms or bust.
ROFL, yes, Simms or bust.

Simms, he of a career 6.3 yard average and 59.1 completion percentage.

Yes, Simms is totally the ticket. The guy who hasn't played in 3 years. Championship!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco lb52 View Post
throwing out his rookie season, in his fourth year in the league, orton ranked 25th in the nfl in dvoa.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

orton is trash.

At least simms has a good year (2005) to his credit. Can't say the same thing about orton.
21-12...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
ROFL, yes, Simms or bust.

Simms, he of a career 6.3 yard average and 59.1 completion percentage.

Yes, Simms is totally the ticket. The guy who hasn't played in 3 years. Championship!
I stopped reading that tool when he said Simms or bust. He is 2 rungs below Orton. You know this guy has no clue with Simms or bust!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #22
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
21-12...
Courtesy of Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Tommie Harris and company.

Simms actually led the Bucs to a division title and a home playoff game. Orton never did that.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #23
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

And since we're opening this can of worms, and since I'm procrastinating, Orton's best season is at least even if not better than Simms' best season.

Simms (2005 - 11 Games played, 10 started)
191/313 61.0% 2,035 yards (6.5 per) 10 TD/7 INT

Orton (2008 - 15 Games played, 15 started)
272/465 58.5% 2,972 yards (6.4 per) 18 TD/12 INT

How can somebody so totally be attached to Chris Simms?

I have a feeling Phil Simms posts here. The only reason would be family obligation.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #24
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
wont be the last time
I agree if he doesn't show why he's starting
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
Courtesy of Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Tommie Harris and company.
oh you mean the defense that ranked 21st in the league last season?...

yeah okay...