The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Default OT: RIP John Hughes

Loved his movies. She's Having a Baby is really underrated compared to the classics Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains & Automobiles

---------------------
'Sixteen Candles,' 'Breakfast Club' director Hughes dead at 59

(CNN) -- John Hughes, the producer, writer and director whose 1980s films such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" offered a sharp-eyed look at teenagers and their social habits, has died, according to a statement from his representative. He was 59.

Hughes died of a heart attack while taking a morning walk in Manhattan, according to the statement.

Hughes, who was also a prolific screenwriter and producer, was at his peak in the 1980s, when his films -- which starred young actors such as Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Jon Cryer -- dominated the box office and were hailed by critics for their thoughtful teen protagonists, rarely portrayed with such sympathy in comedies at the time.

Ringwald, in particular, became a star, thanks to her performances as the lead in "Sixteen Candles," "Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink."

"I was stunned and incredibly sad to hear about the death of John Hughes," Ringwald said. "He was and will always be such an important part of my life. He will be missed by me and by everyone that he has touched. My heart and all my thoughts are with his family now."

For a time during the decade, the writer and director was behind two or three films a year. Among his other credits were "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), the Thanksgiving classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1987) and "Home Alone" (1990). Appreciation: Mourning John Hughes

"He was such a great writer who created so many enduring characters for film, both as a director and a writer. His real gift was in creating these identifiable characters," actor, writer and comedian Steve Martin, who starred in "Planes" with John Candy, told CNN.

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes," said actor Matthew Broderick, who starred in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," in a statement. "He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family." See a timeline of films Hughes directed

John Hughes was born February 18, 1950, in Michigan. He started his career as an advertising copywriter in Chicago -- the city was later the setting for many of his films -- and by the end of the 1970s was a frequent contributor to National Lampoon magazine. Blog: Seeing Chicago's North Shore through Hughes' eyes

His first screenwriting credit, according to the Internet Movie Database, was as a writer for the "Animal House" TV spinoff, "Delta House."

But Hughes quickly moved over to the big screen, writing 1982's "National Lampoon's Class Reunion," followed the next year by "National Lampoon's Vacation," based on a story he had written for the magazine.

Though critical reception to Hughes' films could be mixed -- such works as "She's Having a Baby" (1988) and "Curly Sue" (1991) were slammed by reviewers -- Hughes had a knack for classic movie lines and images.

Such scenes as Anthony Michael Hall holding Ringwald's panties up high to the stunned appreciation of his friends in "Candles"; Steve Martin's harangue of a rent-a-car clerk in "Planes"; and Ben Stein's economics teacher asking, monotonously, "Bueller? ... Bueller?" in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" have become pop culture touchstones.

Film critic Roger Ebert praised Hughes' empathy in a "Great Movies" appreciation of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." "What can be said for [Hughes] is that he usually produces a real story about people he has clear ideas about," Ebert wrote, observing that "Planes" "is the only movie our family watches as a custom, most every Thanksgiving."

"The script for 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' was the best script I had ever read," Martin told CNN. "I asked John how long it took to write it, he said, 'I wrote it over the weekend.' The weekend. That shows you what he was able to do."

In recent years, Hughes had stepped back from the movie business to spend more time with his family, as well as "maintain a functioning farm in northern Illinois and support independent arts," the statement said.

Hughes is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy; two sons and four grandchildren.
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler

Some of my absolute favorite movies. RIP Mr. Hughes
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

RIP. Always thought this guy had one more great one left in him. Like he was gonna write the great "im 60, this is what ive learned in life" movie.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

"Does Barry Manilow know you raided his wardrobe"...Fricking classic..
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Planes trains and automobiles is one of my all time classics. Rip.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Rip.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post

YOUR MESSIN WITH THE WRONG GUY...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

RIP

Ferris is one of my favorites of ALL TIME
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow, I forgot how much entertainment this guy had brought me through the course of my life. RIP indeed. What a great body of work.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #10
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Those aren't pillows!
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #11
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Sixteen Candles (1984)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
Weird Science (1985)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Pretty in Pink (1986)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)
Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)

Not a bad 3 year spell.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

"Could you describe the ruckus, sir?"
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

I grew up on these. Ferris Bueller and Weird Science are my two favorites that he did. God bless John Hughes and his loved ones.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighMagic View Post
I grew up on these. Ferris Bueller and Weird Science are my two favorites that he did. God bless John Hughes and his loved ones.

Mmmm...Kelly LeBrock...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #16
g00fyfoot
Seasoned Veteran

Time to make a pilgrimage to Shermer, IL.

RIP, John. Thanks for all the laughs.
g00fyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'll never forgive John Hughes for the blasphemy of wrecking that classic Ferrari in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Plains, Trains & Automobiles was ****ing awesome though.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I'll never forgive John Hughes for the blasphemy of wrecking that classic Ferrari in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Plains, Trains & Automobiles was ****ing awesome though.
wasn't it just a replica? I think i remember them talking about that in the commentary.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #19
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
wasn't it just a replica? I think i remember them talking about that in the commentary.
Still doesnt make it right!

Ferrari = Michaelangelo of automobiles.

You just dont even think about tarnishing one, even in jest!
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #20
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Would like to make my goodbyes to the man who's cinematic stamp has warped me forever...Thank you for John Bender (I will always love Judd Nelson's performance in the Breakfast Club...Shut up b****, go bring me my turkey pot pie) and Ferris Bueller ("Bueller....Bueller....Bueller") and Sixteen Candles (the panty scene is funny, the kissing over the birthday cake every sweet teenage girl dream at least in the 80s when I was still innocent)...Some Kind of Wonderful (Mary Stuart Masterson so cool)...Trains, Planes and Automobiles....Uncle Buck (I love John Candy). So many fond cinema memories, mostly set in Chicago, but I love them anyway.

RIP sir.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Ed rooney:What's the score?
Pizza Joint Owner: Nothin' nothin'.
Ed Rooney: [not really listening] Who's winning?
Pizza Joint Owner: The Bears.

[after making a horrible noise with a clarinet]
Ferris: Never had one lesson!

The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.

Last edited by Bronx33; 08-09-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
Loved his movies. She's Having a Baby is really underrated compared to the classics Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains & Automobiles

---------------------
'Sixteen Candles,' 'Breakfast Club' director Hughes dead at 59

(CNN) -- John Hughes, the producer, writer and director whose 1980s films such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" offered a sharp-eyed look at teenagers and their social habits, has died, according to a statement from his representative. He was 59.

Hughes died of a heart attack while taking a morning walk in Manhattan, according to the statement.

Hughes, who was also a prolific screenwriter and producer, was at his peak in the 1980s, when his films -- which starred young actors such as Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Jon Cryer -- dominated the box office and were hailed by critics for their thoughtful teen protagonists, rarely portrayed with such sympathy in comedies at the time.

Ringwald, in particular, became a star, thanks to her performances as the lead in "Sixteen Candles," "Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink."

"I was stunned and incredibly sad to hear about the death of John Hughes," Ringwald said. "He was and will always be such an important part of my life. He will be missed by me and by everyone that he has touched. My heart and all my thoughts are with his family now."

For a time during the decade, the writer and director was behind two or three films a year. Among his other credits were "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), the Thanksgiving classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1987) and "Home Alone" (1990). Appreciation: Mourning John Hughes

"He was such a great writer who created so many enduring characters for film, both as a director and a writer. His real gift was in creating these identifiable characters," actor, writer and comedian Steve Martin, who starred in "Planes" with John Candy, told CNN.

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes," said actor Matthew Broderick, who starred in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," in a statement. "He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family." See a timeline of films Hughes directed

John Hughes was born February 18, 1950, in Michigan. He started his career as an advertising copywriter in Chicago -- the city was later the setting for many of his films -- and by the end of the 1970s was a frequent contributor to National Lampoon magazine. Blog: Seeing Chicago's North Shore through Hughes' eyes

His first screenwriting credit, according to the Internet Movie Database, was as a writer for the "Animal House" TV spinoff, "Delta House."

But Hughes quickly moved over to the big screen, writing 1982's "National Lampoon's Class Reunion," followed the next year by "National Lampoon's Vacation," based on a story he had written for the magazine.

Though critical reception to Hughes' films could be mixed -- such works as "She's Having a Baby" (1988) and "Curly Sue" (1991) were slammed by reviewers -- Hughes had a knack for classic movie lines and images.

Such scenes as Anthony Michael Hall holding Ringwald's panties up high to the stunned appreciation of his friends in "Candles"; Steve Martin's harangue of a rent-a-car clerk in "Planes"; and Ben Stein's economics teacher asking, monotonously, "Bueller? ... Bueller?" in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" have become pop culture touchstones.

Film critic Roger Ebert praised Hughes' empathy in a "Great Movies" appreciation of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." "What can be said for [Hughes] is that he usually produces a real story about people he has clear ideas about," Ebert wrote, observing that "Planes" "is the only movie our family watches as a custom, most every Thanksgiving."

"The script for 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' was the best script I had ever read," Martin told CNN. "I asked John how long it took to write it, he said, 'I wrote it over the weekend.' The weekend. That shows you what he was able to do."

In recent years, Hughes had stepped back from the movie business to spend more time with his family, as well as "maintain a functioning farm in northern Illinois and support independent arts," the statement said.

Hughes is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy; two sons and four grandchildren.
Wow, he did some good stuff. Didn't he also direct Uncle Buck, or at least produce it? That and Planes, Trains and Automobiles are two of my favorite holiday films...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post

So many fond cinema memories, mostly set in Chicago, but I love them anyway.

RIP sir.
I was going to post that he did a lot for Chicago.

It made it cool to live in the burbs of chi-town growing up in the early 80's.

If nothing else he made people aware of what a great place Chicagoland is.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #24
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

This reminds me of when me and my buddies would go to dollar night at the drive in every tuesday night and saw many of hughes movies. ( good times)
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
no doubt. Saw it over THanksgiving in Hawaii in 1987. Top 5 (there's a John Cusack rememberance) best lines for movies comes from TP&A. Guy in next car, "You're going the wrong way!" Martin, "He says we are going the wrong way." Candy, "How does she know where we are going ?". "Thank you." Candy , "Drunks. (with the sign of mug to mouth for drunk)". He set so many teenagers with those movies. The memories we will always have.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 08-10-2009 at 10:43 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote