The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Default Frustrated with the Moreno situation

Anyone else getting as frustrated with this as I am? It is known that his guaranteed money is going to be right at $12 million, so I don't believe it can be that difficult to structure the rest of the deal. Meanwhile he is losing VERY valuable time at camp right now, and I fear that by the time he really gets in a groove we will already be into week 5 or 6. Remember Darrell Scott at CU last year? Showed up a little late and out of shape and he never got on track.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Lets all make a thread about our feelings.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Crabtree contract continues to paralyze multiple picks

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 8:24 AM ET
As the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree, the tenth overall pick in the 2009 draft, continue to basically stare at each other and say nothing, other teams and players are suffering the consequences.

Picks eight, nine, eleven, and twelve continue to be unsigned, due in large part to the absence of a deal between Crabtree and the 49ers.

And some big-name agents are among the waiting: Tom Condon and Ben Dogra at CAA, Dave Dunn and friends and Athletes First, and Joe Segal.

Condon and Dogra have Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno (No. 12). Dunn has Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji (No. 9). And Segal has Bills defensive end Aaron Maybin (No. 11).

Given the possibility that Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, eventually will get the Niners to cave, it arguably makes sense to hold out the players drafted in the vicinity of Crabtree. As we've recently mentioned in connection with Jaguars tackle Eugene Monroe, the big-money windfall deals currently stretch to the seventh pick. If Crabtree and Parker can drag the large dollars all the way to No. 10, the guys picked just in front of him will benefit -- and the guys taken just after him might, too.

Meanwhile, there's no indication that Crabtree and the 49ers are any closer to a deal. There's a theory making the rounds that Parker might have promised Crabtree that he'd be a top-five pick, and that Parker's last-ditch effort to make good on that guarantee might be to get Crabtree paid as if he had been picked in that range.

Regardless of what happens next (and, frankly, given Crabtree's boast that he can run a 4.4 on crutches, we're not ruling out a decision to re-enter the draft in 2010), it's a huge mess. And while it could all end at any moment, there's no reason to think that that moment is coming any time soon.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

This is what happens when agents get involved, money overrides everything. It would be nice to see a player just say, "hey, I'm going to be rich anyway, just get the deal done. We know what people got last year and this year, no need to wait for the jackoff 2 picks higher than me to finally give in to the fact that he wasn't picked in the top 3."
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

just part of the game nowdays. Moreno a rb, they don't last long, its smart for him to get the best deal he can. With all the mini camps he knows whats going on with the offense. IMO it won't be that big of a deal but it keeps him from being named the starter that is for sure.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

fingers crossed it ends today...
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Lets all make a thread about our feelings.
lol
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Why would his agent tell him he's a top-5 pick? I know he was wanting to reach for the stars, but that's just a ridiculous promise. And now, he's holding everything up. That a-hole agent needs to cough up some of his own money to make up the difference from his ill-informed promise to his client.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

i'm feeling ambivalently flaccid about the whole thing...

get in soon, kno-kno...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

I realize the NFL is a business, but if I was in Moreno's shoes I'd realize part of my livelihood is making an impact in training camp. I'd tell my agency they have till the end of the day to get me signed, and be on my way to Denver.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Crabtree contract continues to paralyze multiple picks

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2009 8:24 AM ET
As the 49ers and receiver Michael Crabtree, the tenth overall pick in the 2009 draft, continue to basically stare at each other and say nothing, other teams and players are suffering the consequences.

Picks eight, nine, eleven, and twelve continue to be unsigned, due in large part to the absence of a deal between Crabtree and the 49ers.

And some big-name agents are among the waiting: Tom Condon and Ben Dogra at CAA, Dave Dunn and friends and Athletes First, and Joe Segal.

Condon and Dogra have Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno (No. 12). Dunn has Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji (No. 9). And Segal has Bills defensive end Aaron Maybin (No. 11).

Given the possibility that Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, eventually will get the Niners to cave, it arguably makes sense to hold out the players drafted in the vicinity of Crabtree. As we've recently mentioned in connection with Jaguars tackle Eugene Monroe, the big-money windfall deals currently stretch to the seventh pick. If Crabtree and Parker can drag the large dollars all the way to No. 10, the guys picked just in front of him will benefit -- and the guys taken just after him might, too.

Meanwhile, there's no indication that Crabtree and the 49ers are any closer to a deal. There's a theory making the rounds that Parker might have promised Crabtree that he'd be a top-five pick, and that Parker's last-ditch effort to make good on that guarantee might be to get Crabtree paid as if he had been picked in that range.

Regardless of what happens next (and, frankly, given Crabtree's boast that he can run a 4.4 on crutches, we're not ruling out a decision to re-enter the draft in 2010), it's a huge mess. And while it could all end at any moment, there's no reason to think that that moment is coming any time soon.
If I was the 49ers I'd would not budge. Crabtree would sit out the whole season for all I care...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
Why would his agent tell him he's a top-5 pick?
There was probably some team picking in the Top 5 that promised his agent that they would select him if he fell. Then they renegged on that promise.

Happens all the time.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Its really not all that complicated. All Moreno and his agent have to do is ad like 10% to whatever the 12th pick got last year and be done with it.

While I can understand the bottle neck effect that Crabtree is causing, if Moreno wanted to be in camp, he could be.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

From the sounds of it we'll be fine without Moreno since Buckhalter and Hillis (i know he's at FB) look good. Fine, not great.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
If I was the 49ers I'd would not budge. Crabtree would sit out the whole season for all I care...
yeah but then they lose the pick and he goes back into draft. Would you want that if he was a Broncos player? I mean people mad about trading away a first for a really high 2nd rounder, imagine the furor over a lost top 10 pick for nothing.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
just part of the game nowdays. Moreno a rb, they don't last long, its smart for him to get the best deal he can. With all the mini camps he knows whats going on with the offense. IMO it won't be that big of a deal but it keeps him from being named the starter that is for sure.
No he doesn't know whats going on with the offense. Haven't you read the camp reports about how lost Ayers is? He needs to get in immediately, or he will not start until week 8
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Its really not all that complicated. All Moreno and his agent have to do is ad like 10% to whatever the 12th pick got last year and be done with it.

While I can understand the bottle neck effect that Crabtree is causing, if Moreno wanted to be in camp, he could be.
EXACTLY. Alot of these idiot college kids (not saying Moreno is one), don't seem to realize that THE AGENT WORKS FOR THEM.....not the other way around. Rather than sitting idly by, and allowing their agent to "run the show" and squeeze every nickel out of the team.....the player can (and should) say, "Listen, get me what is fair and reasonable. Don't let the team screw me.....and get the deal done in time for me to be in camp on time."

If I were Moreno, I'd say just that....."Get me 8-10% above last year's #12 pick.....as that is what is normal......and let's call it a day."
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Anyone else getting as frustrated with this as I am? It is known that his guaranteed money is going to be right at $12 million, so I don't believe it can be that difficult to structure the rest of the deal. Meanwhile he is losing VERY valuable time at camp right now, and I fear that by the time he really gets in a groove we will already be into week 5 or 6. Remember Darrell Scott at CU last year? Showed up a little late and out of shape and he never got on track.

All I can say is that Hillis must be praying for Moreno to be out a bit longer, while he puts on all the flashy plays at camp.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #19
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Schefter thought it would end today. It would be nice to see him out at Invesco and he can showcase his stuff in front of a bunch of fans
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
No he doesn't know whats going on with the offense. Haven't you read the camp reports about how lost Ayers is? He needs to get in immediately, or he will not start until week 8
I honestly don't think this is the case at all.

The coaches already commented in the spring how well Moreno picked up the playbook, and his part in the offense. He was already right in the mix for the starting spot. Don't look for that to change.

If we get him next week, he will start down the depth chart, but has plenty of time to establish himself by week one. The preseason games will show what he's got.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #21
Grumps
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Not really. I like Hillis getting a chance to show what he can do.
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

From the sound of the camp reports we don't need him right away, with Buckhalter and Hillis both running very strong. It would be awesome if he came in and made a huge impact right away but the reality is, even if he signed before camp started he would probably be fighting for reps. We can afford to wait and I have no problem with it. Plus, I agree that if Moreno's agent really wanted him in, they could settle it today. This is about getting more money for the player, not about the front office trying to be cheap.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #23
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
Schefter thought it would end today. It would be nice to see him out at Invesco and he can showcase his stuff in front of a bunch of fans
I sure hope so. It would be cool to see his first practice.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

i am frustrated actually...

i spend a lot of time checking sites hoping to read that he's finally signed, and i keep coming up empty...

our 1st preseason game is a week away...i'd like to see him in it and as others have mentioned, he's missing a lot of valuable practice time...

he could potentially be our best player on offense...i don't want to see this drag on any longer...we need to see this guy on the field...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #25
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
The RB position might have the shortest learning curve (except for kickers and punters) because it relies so heavily on the player's natural talent. He'll be fine. Tatum came straight from the mall and played the same weekend.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote