The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Orange Mane Podcast: Defensive Roundup

Another great program. These guys are lights out.

Here are a few different download options:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tiytjyldgoo
090806_om-roundtable-def.mp3
090806_om-roundtable-def.mp3 - 13.02MB
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Absolutely outstanding job and very, very informative!

It almost sounds like BB is a pro and has been hosting "radio shows" for 30 years, the other 3 seem a little nervous sometimes.

Very much enjoyed listening to this and canīt wait for Part 2.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

We weren't nervous. SoCal and I were trying no to laugh about some jokes we had made right before it all started. I was a little nervous at how mad my wife was going to be at me when I got home for being out late, though.

And Casey was very impressive. He does have a background in journalism and it showed during the entire round table. It made it fun and go very smoothly.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Top drawer. No one sounded nervous to me. Very fun and informative listening, thanks for posting it!

(Someone's cellphone had a girls song for the ringtone at 18:50, though )
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Some notes from the audio:

1. Woodyard is a great fit in the nickle @ LB. He does not fit in the 3-4 anywhere, but when DEN goes Nickle, which is around 50% of the time, Woodyard makes a ton of sense with his coverage ability.

2. The competition in the secondary is great! DEN has totally lacked any real competition in the secondary depth to keep guys on their toes the last few years. The Vets will have to hold of the new guys, but overall competition and depth in the secondary will increase everyones learning curve and keep players sharp daily.

3. The Broncos have had some decent developmental safeties in Sam Brandon and Hamza Abdullah. However, the coaching left them in a bind playing out of position and Sam had a career ending injury...

4. Chris Baker had some real serious issues at Penn ST. and he had much further character red flags from his time in Hampton. Pedescleaux was another part time player who was below average as a redshirt junior transfer from Minnesota. His redshirt senior year he was a very good player at the FCS championship level getting 3rd team all america recognition. He is a late bloomer, with not a lot of experience on the field. Both these guys could eventually develop into late blooming players in the mold of Mario Fatefehi in 2003-2004. However, None of the DL are playmakers or could develop to be a dominant force as none were dominant in college to me.

5. Marcus Thomas is getting the same scheme change shaft that Glenn Dorsey is going to get from the Chiefs. Both are decent players as three technique's in a 4-3, but neither fit the 3-4 DL mold, even if they do play an aggressive one gap scheme like Nolan has done in the past. Thomas and Moss are going to be hard pressed to stick with this team because of the scheme changes. However, they are still decent players who are going to be another defensive draft pick fiasco attributed to NOT picking a scheme and building around it. Thankfully, the new regime seems to have an identity selected for all 3 units and this wasted resources business will finally be over......

6. Daryl Reid was a Nickle Pass rusher for Indy who often used him as a 3 technique in the nickle. It is not surprising at all that Nolan has seen his film and is trying him there in the nickle. He is very quick off the snap and is good at getting penetration on the pocket, something DEN has rarely seen at DT since Pryce decided he should be a DE.....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
1. Woodyard is a great fit in the nickle @ LB. He does not fit in the 3-4 anywhere, but when DEN goes Nickle, which is around 50% of the time, Woodyard makes a ton of sense with his coverage ability.
Forgive my ignorance but perhaps you can educate me on this point - I always thought we used nickle primarily on 3rd and long, but it sounds like we will use it more frequently than that. Can you explain why we would utilize the formation in other situations? Is it also an option for first down, or two minute situations?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elway View Post
Forgive my ignorance but perhaps you can educate me on this point - I always thought we used nickle primarily on 3rd and long, but it sounds like we will use it more frequently than that. Can you explain why we would utilize the formation in other situations? Is it also an option for first down, or two minute situations?
First, asking questions is always appreciated! Second, you hit several of the reasons right on the head. The most obvious reason teams go to nickle is to match personnel. With the pass being the most important part of the game in the modern era, most teams are always looking to get favorable matchups in the passing game. Therefore, a lot of Base defenses are replaced with the nickle when a team uses passing personnel more than 50% of the time. Basically, the average NFL defense does not match up well versus the spread unless you run Tampa 2 Personnel. T2 personnel are much less susceptible to coverage matchups from passing formations and sets.

In the AFCW, several base defenses are totally eschewed against the Elite TE's of SD (Gates) and KC (Gonzalez) in the past. With Gonzalez going to the Falcons, DEN might run less of the nickle versus their base packages. However, I assume they will go more spread like they did last year with Thigpen under center with new HC Todd Haley using that in ARI. Therefore, I would assume the majority of the snaps versus the Chiefs will still be nickle personnel.

I hope that explains that a little better
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:
Makes perfect sense. It sheds some light on why players like Hillis and to some extent Graham, who can run block and catch effectively, can create favorable matchups for us - a linebacker will have a hard time covering Hillis and a DB will have difficulty bringing down Graham.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
First, asking questions is always appreciated! Second, you hit several of the reasons right on the head. The most obvious reason teams go to nickle is to match personnel. With the pass being the most important part of the game in the modern era, most teams are always looking to get favorable matchups in the passing game. Therefore, a lot of Base defenses are replaced with the nickle when a team uses passing personnel more than 50% of the time. Basically, the average NFL defense does not match up well versus the spread unless you run Tampa 2 Personnel. T2 personnel are much less susceptible to coverage matchups from passing formations and sets.

In the AFCW, several base defenses are totally eschewed against the Elite TE's of SD (Gates) and KC (Gonzalez) in the past. With Gonzalez going to the Falcons, DEN might run less of the nickle versus their base packages. However, I assume they will go more spread like they did last year with Thigpen under center with new HC Todd Haley using that in ARI. Therefore, I would assume the majority of the snaps versus the Chiefs will still be nickle personnel.

Damn straight it does ... thanks.

Hey, YOU should be a panelist on these things. TJ and montrose are gonna do the,m weekly, probably on Tuesdays, throughout the season. I know you're in Indy, but Taco has equipment to do the roundtables via phone.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I enjoyed both podcasts guys, kudos for doing it

And, Buff, I agree, you come across as very natural in moderating the whole thing.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I enjoyed both podcasts, guys ... And, Buff, I agree, you come across as very natural in moderating the whole thing.
Thank you ... montrose will do great this season in the weekly podcats, and TJ has equipment to hook up remote users so he'll be moderating some too.

Hey ... HOW DO WE DRIVE TRAFFIC HERE?

The two podcast threads have barely 200 views combined ...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

this might be taboo, but what about having MHR or Broncotalk link to it?
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Good report BB, Kahn, Socal and Montrose .. Mediator12 too!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Here is two of your reporters and some of the smartest football guys I know. Love giving SoCal a hard time, but only b/c I know he can roll with the punches. Had a great time buddy and glad you could make it out.
Attached Images

Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Sorry it turned out so grainy... taken on my cell phone.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

It looks like some kind of effects were used on it, but I like your shirt.

I have the gray sleeveless from 2005 training camp shirt and shorts.

Just picked up a new pair, if I cant be there in person I can be there in clothes.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
It looks like some kind of effects were used on it, but I like your shirt.

I have the gray sleeveless from 2005 training camp shirt and shorts.

Just picked up a new pair, if I cant be there in person I can be there in clothes.
I actually got that shirt last season, although from that angle in it I look about 280 lbs!
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I actually got that shirt last season, although from that angle in it I look about 280 lbs!
You don't look bad, they have a new shirt out for training camp.

It sold out pretty quick, cant get one anywhere.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Sorry again about the grainy photo... the one of us with Ayers is pretty sweet.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #20
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
With another 40lbs, you could start for us at NT!
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

You don't look an ounce over 220 Raj... No worries.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Everybody needs to realize that SoCal is about 5'10 so that would make Montrose about 6'5 in that picture.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Everybody needs to realize that SoCal is about 5'10 so that would make Montrose about 6'5 in that picture.
So where does that leave me?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #24
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
So where does that leave me?
Hi Yao
Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Awesome podcasts guys. A real real real treat. Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Natedogg is online now   Reply With Quote