The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default 8/5 PM Report: SoCal, Buff, Montrose

I. ROOKIE HAZING AND INITIAL DRILLS

Practice appeared to start with rookie hazing. It seemed like the team was hosing the rookies down but they also looked pretty dirty after they came back on the field so maybe they made them go through some kind of mudslide, too. I joked with Montrose that since Josh was basically a rookie, he should have gone through it, too.

QB's also started with the bag drill. Brandstater was the only QB that had the ball dislodged from him during this segment. On the other side of the nearest field, the OL/DL were doing they're one on one's again. Fields did a nice job. Did not really get a good angle of the others involved.

The team continues to spend alot of time working on punt stuff, specifically fakes. The punters themselves also got some work but unlike the previous practice they didn't get very good hangtime.

II. QUARTERBACKS- Orton looked pretty decent at this practice. I've noticed that he's alot better whenever he steps up in the pocket. He hit Royal on a number of dig routes over the middle. He also developed some good chemistry with Brandon Lloyd, who had a good practice himself. At times, the QBs are still having accuracy problems, especially when hurried. Orton's best pass was a deep sideline route to Gaffney. Orton continues to have a problem in checking down, though.

III. RUNNING BACKS- Lamont Jordan had a little more pop in his step in this practice. He made some nice cuts. Wasn't as sluggish out there as before. Unfortunately, there were two important segments of practice involving O v. D where we were sort of walled off from the action based on where the players were standing, so we couldn't see much of the other backs. Buckhalter still makes good plays out of the backfield on passes, especially wheels.

IV. WIDE RECIEVERS- Another day without Marshall. Lloyd was the standout at this practice. He made a number of really nice catches, especially one in the back of a crowded endzone during red zone drills. I suspect he's still behind Gaffney (who had a great catch of his own deep, with Josh Bell all over him), but he's definitely in the top 5. McKinley caught a few passes here and there, but he was most noticeable on a play where he blew past Alphonso Smith and was wide open deep, but Orton did not appear to see him. Stokley continues to be in the top 5 catching balls from the slot. Right now, I'd put it as follows: 1. Marshall 2. Royal 3. Gaffney 4. Stokley 5. Lloyd
6. McKinley 7. Swift. I really hope McKinley can crack the top 5 because I really don't want to expose him on the PS. He might not make a huge impact this year, but I think he has "it".

V. TIGHT ENDS- Scheffler as well as Graham were a little more active than usual. Scheff caught several passes but did have some drops. Did not notice Quinn too much, but he was out there. Did not really notice Jeb at all.

VI. OFFENSIVE LINE- I'm starting to get worried about Polumbus. Some of the 2nd team DL and OLBs are starting to beat him regularly. The most egregious mistake on his part was missing an assignment. He blocked down on the interior defender leaving Jarvis Moss completely wide open for an unblocked sack. I'm not sure whether Polumbus is having issues with the blocking scheme or what. Crowder also cleanly beat him.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I. ROOKIE HAZING AND INITIAL DRILLS

Practice appeared to start with rookie hazing. It seemed like the team was hosing the rookies down but they also looked pretty dirty after they came back on the field so maybe they made them go through some kind of mudslide, too. I joked with Montrose that since Josh was basically a rookie, he should have gone through it, too.

QB's also started with the bag drill. Brandstater was the only QB that had the ball dislodged from him during this segment. On the other side of the nearest field, the OL/DL were doing they're one on one's again. Fields did a nice job. Did not really get a good angle of the others involved.

The team continues to spend alot of time working on punt stuff, specifically fakes. The punters themselves also got some work but unlike the previous practice they didn't get very good hangtime.

II. QUARTERBACKS- Orton looked pretty decent at this practice. I've noticed that he's alot better whenever he steps up in the pocket. He hit Royal on a number of dig routes over the middle. He also developed some good chemistry with Brandon Lloyd, who had a good practice himself. At times, the QBs are still having accuracy problems, especially when hurried. Orton's best pass was a deep sideline route to Gaffney. Orton continues to have a problem in checking down, though.

III. RUNNING BACKS- Lamont Jordan had a little more pop in his step in this practice. He made some nice cuts. Wasn't as sluggish out there as before. Unfortunately, there were two important segments of practice involving O v. D where we were sort of walled off from the action based on where the players were standing, so we couldn't see much of the other backs. Buckhalter still makes good plays out of the backfield on passes, especially wheels.

IV. WIDE RECIEVERS- Another day without Marshall. Lloyd was the standout at this practice. He made a number of really nice catches, especially one in the back of a crowded endzone during red zone drills. I suspect he's still behind Gaffney (who had a great catch of his own deep, with Josh Bell all over him), but he's definitely in the top 5. McKinley caught a few passes here and there, but he was most noticeable on a play where he blew past Alphonso Smith and was wide open deep, but Orton did not appear to see him. Stokley continues to be in the top 5 catching balls from the slot. Right now, I'd put it as follows: 1. Marshall 2. Royal 3. Gaffney 4. Stokley 5. Lloyd
6. McKinley 7. Swift. I really hope McKinley can crack the top 5 because I really don't want to expose him on the PS. He might not make a huge impact this year, but I think he has "it".

V. TIGHT ENDS- Scheffler as well as Graham were a little more active than usual. Scheff caught several passes but did have some drops. Did not notice Quinn too much, but he was out there. Did not really notice Jeb at all.

VI. OFFENSIVE LINE- I'm starting to get worried about Polumbus. Some of the 2nd team DL and OLBs are starting to beat him regularly. The most egregious mistake on his part was missing an assignment. He blocked down on the interior defender leaving Jarvis Moss completely wide open for an unblocked sack. I'm not sure whether Polumbus is having issues with the blocking scheme or what. Crowder also cleanly beat him.

You don't keep 4 and 5 receivers unless they can play STs... If it comes down to McKinley or Stokley... bye bye Stokes.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

The weather was very nice at practice this evening along with some great well-intentioned ribbing between SoCal, Buff and I. They had some type of rookie hazing thing at the beginning that was hard to see but it appeared that the rookies were sliding in mud. They had to practice the entire session in mud-soaked uniforms – it was funny.

Not as much individual work this evening and quite a bit of 9-on-7 as well as 11-on-11 in the red zone. The lineman had some one-on-ones that included Moss beating Clady (not by much but a victory nonetheless) and Parker destroying Olsen.

Once they got to team, considerable time was spent in the nickel and dime packages. The 4-man line rushing with the first units was Ayers, Reid, Peterson and Dumervil – all of which where doing a pretty good job collapsing the pocket and forcing Orton to throw the ball quickly. JMFW had another good practice swatting away a few passes and positioning himself well to blow up a WR screen to Gaffney. Goodman looked good as well, it appeared as though he picked off Orton although it may have been deflected. Bruton worked with the first team at SS for Dawkins and looks very naturally athletic. I did notice a few times he was lost in zone coverage and can be susceptible to playaction as can McBath. Speaking of McBath, he was beaten by Lloyd on an in route for a TD in what can only be described as a vintage Brandon Lloyd-spectacular catch. The route was very reminiscent of one Brady used to through to David Givens in the red zone during the Pats SB years.

Orton was mostly sharp although he missed Buckhalter on what would’ve been an easy checkdown and threw the other direction which resulted in the play I think Goodman picked off. Orton threw a beautiful deep ball to Gaffney who beat Bell on the play – maybe Kyle’s prettiest play of camp thus far.

I thought the front 7 outplayed the OL today as Powell, Parker and Baker all did a good job controlling the LOS and pushing back the pocket. As hard as this may be for some to believe, I’m glad our OL won’t be going up against our DL for an entire actual game as the DL size does present our OL with some problems. Didn’t notice much of Dumervil and Reid but was again impressed with Crowder who played well holding outside contain and Ayers who was giving Clady and Harris all they could handle while rushing the passer – I didn’t get a chance to see Ayers in coverage. Clady was beaten badly by Peterson on a run play that got Buckhalter demolished.

Buckhalter continues to be the best back though, showing good vision and great lateral quickness to the outside. Jordan looked much better today, showing some explosion and good vision. Torain didn’t practice and Hillis was mostly at FB and not involved a great deal. I’ve noticed that as we move into the red zone we’re abandoning the ZBS for more power run plays like counters, traps, isos, dives and off tackle runs. We’re still inconsistent at them as our DL and ILBs are doing a good job plugging the gaps but Jordan has a very nice knack for running those types of plays.

Practice concluded with a very spirited goal-line drill in which Buckhalter beat Barrett to the corner for a TD, Scheffler made a spectacular TD catch reminiscent of his one against the Bears on a bad Simms pass and someone (I think DJ or Bruton) rocked Jordan making him appear to fumble.

The team had to run suicides again at the end of practice, noteworthy was Simms again leading his group, Thomas well behind all of the OL/DL and Ayers coming in last of the LBs. I got Clady’s autograph after practice and had a chance to meet Wiegmann and talk OL play for a bit. We also met Kuper and spoke to him about his dad being on the side. SoCal asked him if he had any messages for his dad and he said, “Yeah, tell him to get off there.”

Last edited by montrose; 08-05-2009 at 08:52 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

VII. DEFENSIVE LINE- Did not notice any of them. In part, this was because we were at a bad angle for some of the important portions of practice. The front did appear to do a little better vs. the run in this practice, though. I did notice that Chris Baker absolutely destroyed a backup interior OL on one occasion, as well as Kenny Peterson (Montrose believed that on that play, Peterson actually beat Clady). The first team nickel defensive line is a 4 man line and is as follows: Dumervil, Peterson, Reid and Ayers).

VIII. LINEBACKERS- Crowder continues to show. Ayers had a pass deflection that I saw. I spoke with underrated29 after practice and he had a better angle of some of the stuff we couldn't see. He noticed something very important about Ayers which needs to be ironed out fast. He observed that for a number of consecutive plays, Ayers heel was up (pre-snap) before a blitz, but he always had his heel down when he would drop back. Coaches need to clean that up, as it will definitely give things away to the opponent.

IX. DEFENSIVE BACKS- Tony Carter quietly is having a decent camp. He had at least one pass breakup. He's very short and almost rail thin which puts him at a disadvantage, but he's feisty. Smith and JMFW both had decent practices with passes defensed for each. JMFW is still running ahead of Smith on the depth chart, however. Cornerback D.J. Johnson (#35) had an interception. I thought Goodman had a solid practice. He's generally not noticeable but made some plays this evening. The only time I noticed Darcel McBath was on a deep pass from Orton to Lloyd which was overthrown. He had good, tight coverage on Lloyd, however.

X. MISC.

After practice, the OL were signing things. Montrose got a small helmet signed by Clady. We also saw Chris Kuper and asked him whether he had a message for his Dad. . We also told him we saw his wedding pictures (not the one with Khan, however, as much as I was tempted to mention it. ).
Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
SoCal asked him if he had any messages for his dad and he said, “Yeah, tell him to get off there.”
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
If it comes down to McKinley or Stokley
It won't.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
You don't keep 4 and 5 receivers unless they can play STs... If it comes down to McKinley or Stokley... bye bye Stokes.
Stokley would be a shocker if he is cut. I think we keep both and say bye bye to Lloyd.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
We also met Kuper and spoke to him about his dad being on the side. SoCal asked him if he had any messages for his dad and he said, “Yeah, tell him to get off there.”
Awe man, that's not cool... was he kidding?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

haha that is funny about Kuper..I bet he was like, geez dad you are hanging out on the net with these dorks? come on.. lol
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

SoCal what are your thoughts about D J Johnson 35? He is my sleeper player this year, even before we picked him up.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

our Dline going up against the strength of our team (Oline) is only going to help their development...

they will hold their own once the season starts...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
kent156
King of the Ants

Montrose is Powell, Parker and Baker having this success against the first team oline or just the backups?
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Stokley would be a shocker if he is cut. I think we keep both and say bye bye to Lloyd.
We actually should have quite a few backups (and some starters) from other positions that can play well on special teams allowing us to maybe keep an extra WR whose not a STer like Stokley.

1) Spencer Larsen
2) Wesley Woodyard
3) Darrell Reid
4) Andra Davis
5) Josh Barrett
6) Darcell McBath
7) David Bruton
8) Jack MF Williams
9) Alphonso Smith
10) Correll Buckhalter
11) Peyton Hillis
12) Kenny McKinley
13) Richard Quinn
14) Eddie Royal
15) Tony Scheffler
16) Lonnie Paxson (aka Bob)
17) Matt McChesney
18) Tyler Polumbus
19) Kory Lichtensteiger
20) Daniel Graham
21) Brandon Lloyd
22) Tim Crowder
23) Kenny Peterson
24) Marcus Thomas
25) Jabar Gaffney

There's 25 players that have have been used in the past on special teams units who could be on the final roster. Because of this, I think we could get by keeping BMarsh, Eddie, Jabar, Stokley, Lloyd and McKinley even though Stokley won't be on the units as a #4. Keep in mind, Stokley's contract was reworked this offseason and if I recall correctly, it virtuallly guarantees he'll be here this season.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Awe man, that's not cool... was he kidding?
SoCal doesn't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
Montrose is Powell, Parker and Baker having this success against the first team oline or just the backups?
They've been mixing them all in and out so it's hard to say although if I had to rank the DL based on who they've been matched up against and their success thus far, I'd rank them:

1) Powell
2) Thomas
3) Parker
4) Fields
5) Baker
6) Peterson
7) Pedescleaux
8) Davis
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I would agree, if we keep 6 receivers Stokes will stick. He's a solid and sound receiver. I would even take him over Lloyd, I just have a bad feeling about his future with McD. IMO, he is the same guy as Gaffney and there's no way McD cuts Gaff.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Man and Kaylore has given him so much love...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
haha that is funny about Kuper..I bet he was like, geez dad you are hanging out on the net with these dorks? come on.. lol
He knows his dad has already uploaded his wedding pictures, I bet he is worried about some of those awful picture from sophomore homecoming or standing butt naked in a pool of mud showing up around here.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Maybe too much... that's probably it... Surprise butt secks thing probably scares him a little
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #19
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
SoCal what are your thoughts about D J Johnson 35? He is my sleeper player this year, even before we picked him up.
Well...he had a pick today, although he has been pretty quiet otherwise. I suspect the numbers dictate that he's probably not going to make it, though. The top 4 are pretty much set it in stone. They might keep an extra one. I suspect that Bell and possibly Carter might be ahead of Johnson. Today helped him, tho.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Man and Kaylore has given him so much love...

Kahn and Kuper wish they have what Alphonso and I do.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Maybe too much... that's probably it... Surprise butt secks thing probably scares him a little
Yeah....I was speculating that he was prolly kinda in a grumpy mood because Khan didn't come out to see him, tonight.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Stokley the most obvious for the surprise cut list.

Still though I bet McDaniels has a yearning for a certain amount of vets on the team. He may see Stokelys leadership as an offset to no special teams.

Also he has practice squad to stash a player or 2.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
kent156
King of the Ants

Quote:

They've been mixing them all in and out so it's hard to say although if I had to rank the DL based on who they've been matched up against and their success thus far, I'd rank them:

1) Powell
2) Thomas
3) Parker
4) Fields
5) Baker
6) Peterson
7) Pedescleaux
8) Davis
what do you think of ryan mcbean is he just getting pushed around a lot?
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Stokely is not getting cut lol.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #25
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
We also saw Chris Kuper and asked him whether he had a message for his Dad. . We also told him we saw his wedding pictures (not the one with Khan, however, as much as I was tempted to mention it. ).
You didn't show him my photo edit from Khans wedding

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...12#post2301512